PDA

View Full Version : 1991 Mastercraft Prostar 190 Restoration

Chrismath88
10-24-2013, 10:26 PM
Hey all. Long time reader first time poster! I have gained so much knowledge from these forums that I knew when I started my project I had to document it for others to enjoy.

So, I bought a 91 Prostar 190 powerslot this fall for 7k. I did my best based on knowledge I gained from here and from my previous boat purchases but still held my breath while my local mastercraft dealer checked out the boat. They noted it leaked from the exhaust outlet ports and had a miss in the engine but compression was within 2lbs of perfect on all cyls. I decided that i would have the carb rebuilt and the points replaced and would purchase an ACME three blade this winter. I had a craigslist person help me winterize the boat and this is where my restoration begins. I am stripping decals, wet sanding, stripping the interior and basically making it look the best I can on a busch light budget as someone else had said. I am going to try and figure out how to post pictures and I will add them below. Thanks for looking.

Jeffer
10-24-2013, 10:50 PM
Yep, you already know what we all want....PICTURES!

Chrismath88
10-24-2013, 11:34 PM
pictures first try

scott023
10-25-2013, 12:51 AM
Your wet sanding well make that boat pop back to life. Looking forward to progress pics.

Chrismath88
10-25-2013, 10:17 AM
trying out uploading from my phone

Chrismath88
10-25-2013, 10:32 AM
let the work being! pealed decals with heat gun, just got them warm, didn't want to mess up the fiberglass somehow with too much heat... used thick piece of plastic with sharp edge mostly, occasionally they would peak a bit, heat helped for sure. decal removal is the worst no matter what. used 600 grit wetdry sandpaper with car wash soap in the water. sanded with a hard rubber sanding block. results were better than i could have imagined.

Chrismath88
10-25-2013, 10:47 AM
here is sanding, not sure if pictures are the same quality through my phone I'll upload more end of the weekend hopefully

Chrismath88
10-25-2013, 10:53 AM
notice the bucket of blue gel coat blood in the last picture. I just ran a buffer over that section to test results, looks great.. just got pad for drill at autozone only 8 bucks, should help with tight spots, can't seem to get guides off trailer... working around them currently.

thatsmrmastercraft
10-25-2013, 11:05 AM
Great progress.

cesarcis
10-25-2013, 12:37 PM
cant wait to see the final pictures. Are you going to add the red stripe back?

DooSPX
10-25-2013, 01:10 PM
Nice boat! Glad to see another Flagship blue 91. If you slalom, you will LOVE it! Also, you got a pretty darn good deal IMO for just needing cosmetic stuff.

Chrismath88
10-25-2013, 07:58 PM
thanks, I think I am going with a silver and black stripe. I have a vinyl connection so I'm going to replace the decals with larger ones like on the sammy d edition. But I have been thinking about going throwback with the stars and stripes logo blown up so it extends below the blue stripe... like straddling it. have had a hard time finding any owners that have gone that direction. thoughts?

Ben
10-25-2013, 08:06 PM
Could go real crazy with 80's font mastercraft and stars. Unique for sure. May look cool.

Get a good side pic if the boat and some photoshoppy guys here will take liberty to add graphics for you...

mikeg205
10-25-2013, 08:14 PM
ahhh - looks like a healthy case of MC OCD on the rise... ;) : ) nice work

scott023
10-25-2013, 08:26 PM
thanks, I think I am going with a silver and black stripe. I have a vinyl connection so I'm going to replace the decals with larger ones like on the sammy d edition. But I have been thinking about going throwback with the stars and stripes logo blown up so it extends below the blue stripe... like straddling it. have had a hard time finding any owners that have gone that direction. thoughts?

We've got a great vinyl guy on this forum too...

03geetee
10-26-2013, 10:11 AM
Looking good man, cant wait to see new pics!

JTR

Chrismath88
10-28-2013, 01:59 PM
So, didn't get as much done as i would have liked. mostly more compounding the same areas. did do some looking into decals, I'm considering the newer chrome 3D plastic ones that stick out... but I've taken some side profiles in the hope that someone better than I with computers could superimpose the stars and stripes logo on it. or the bigger chrome and black mastercraft logo. I think it was on a Sammy d edition. I also tried using a car scratch repair 4 in one kit. the few scratches that won't come out with buffing are well above the water line. couldn't find a great color match but it made it much less noticeable after sanding and buffing it. Probably going to work on it this weekend as well. I have been back and forth on the interior as its not horrible and only the engine cover and bottom driver seat cushion need recovering.. I got a quote for 1700 to replace the entire interior including new foam. this is from a real shop who does good work and would use marine vinyl and foam. I'mjust trying to save money and see if anyone has used thoes spray vinyl repair things or a service like fibrenew. some seats only have mold issues but it comes back after i clean it... or should i just get it all recovered.

Chrismath88
10-28-2013, 02:22 PM
pictures uploaded. i might try to upload another tonight on the laptop.

Ironhorse
10-28-2013, 03:06 PM
Great work, its coming along nicely. There is a thread on here talking about spray coating interior and one of the boats looks great in the photos. Keep up the great work and thanks for the pics.

scott023
10-28-2013, 03:41 PM
That's coming along very nicely.

Chrismath88
10-28-2013, 08:10 PM
reposting a few of the same pictures. ill checkout that thread on the interior spray. Saving money means i can spend it on a lift! If the spray gets me another year or so id be real happy.

Bouyhead
10-28-2013, 08:36 PM
So, didn't get as much done as i would have liked. mostly more compounding the same areas. did do some looking into decals, I'm considering the newer chrome 3D plastic ones that stick out... but I've taken some side profiles in the hope that someone better than I with computers could superimpose the stars and stripes logo on it. or the bigger chrome and black mastercraft logo. I think it was on a Sammy d edition. I also tried using a car scratch repair 4 in one kit. the few scratches that won't come out with buffing are well above the water line. couldn't find a great color match but it made it much less noticeable after sanding and buffing it. Probably going to work on it this weekend as well. I have been back and forth on the interior as its not horrible and only the engine cover and bottom driver seat cushion need recovering.. I got a quote for 1700 to replace the entire interior including new foam. this is from a real shop who does good work and would use marine vinyl and foam. I'mjust trying to save money and see if anyone has used thoes spray vinyl repair things or a service like fibrenew. some seats only have mold issues but it comes back after i clean it... or should i just get it all recovered.

$1700 seems like a super price for a complete interior. I would have a hard time passing that up. Boat looks great, love that Flagship Blue.

Ben
10-28-2013, 11:10 PM
That boat clearly needs a Z06.

Chrismath88
11-07-2013, 09:34 PM
progress has been slow, so many projects. Going this weekend to potentially pickup a Harbor Master aluminum electric powered lift for 800 or so bucks potentially... winter and craigslist stalking has its benefits....

meanwhile I have come to the conclusion that it will be much more work than I thought to be able to see my reflection in my boats entire hull... the buffer was pushed to the point where it got a bit stinky but it is only half as shiny as it is under where the upholstery was removed. Since i've gotten this far my ocd will not allow me to leave it alone. 1000 then 1500 grit wet sanding over the 600 marks then compound and polish... Would have saved much time if i had just gone this way originally but you live and learn.

I'm having my brother whos a graph designer work up some logo ideas, a more modern style or old school stars and stripes with a twist. Will post what he comes up with.

also polished faded black dashboard which came out really good with minimal effort. and removed steering wheel which involved cutting notches in the screws with a dremel as all the Alan keys twisted. I have my eyes on a new grant wheel which will look really nice.

Chrismath88
11-07-2013, 09:36 PM
as you can see actually got the girlfriend working the buffer, figured that had to be documented.

Bouyhead
11-08-2013, 06:25 AM
The dash really came back to life. The GF looks pretty handy;)

Ironhorse
11-08-2013, 08:10 AM
Its looking great!!

NWMike
11-08-2013, 06:21 PM
Your boat is looking great. Here's some pics of my boat when I sprayed the seats to hide the yellowing.

This is great stuff for buying time. It is all in the prep as to how long it holds. Must be clean and must really tape off what you don't want to get overspray on. It is a marine grade dye from SEM and there are only about 20 colors to choose from. I used Fountain Grey.

Chrismath88
11-08-2013, 08:13 PM
thanks guys, nwmike your interior looks great! I am strongly considering spraying with SEM that grey color you mentioned is the one you used for the light grey color? Im just worried about mold thats on my back seats, ive used spray 9 and a few other things to try and clean it up. Im just worried that it will come back through the SEM stuff. my engine cover and driver seat bottom i might even try to repair... seats next season unless im flush for some reason... Does anyone know the best way to get rid of mold permanently? have treated repeatedly with spray 9 and other mold removers... mr clean worked well until the cover got really wet in rain and mold came back...

gsxrjtt
11-09-2013, 09:57 AM
hey does your center cap on the steering wheel have a 25th ann logo ?

Cloaked
11-09-2013, 12:12 PM

Chrismath88
11-09-2013, 12:58 PM
it is really roached out, like it got melted somehow, but appears to be the horizontal stripped star logo like on the seats and side trim

gsxrjtt
11-09-2013, 01:00 PM
can you take a picture for me of it.

Chrismath88
11-13-2013, 09:41 PM
apologies for delayed response, here is the picture of the centercap

NWMike
12-18-2013, 10:23 PM
chrismath88, yes, I used the Fountain Gray on the light gray areas. A little lighter than stock but look good when it's on. To really kill of the mold I would think you'd need to pull the skins off to neutralize/kill the mold if its originating inside. I'd try to spray a seat next spring and see if it works its way through again. Easy to re-spray if you had to. Take them apart if it comes back and let the cushion and the inside of the vinyl skin bake in the sun for a day. Mildew/mold spray again wouldn't hurt once exposed.

Quick
12-31-2013, 04:19 AM
Chrismath88, curious what you used to bring your dash back to life. My 91 Prostar needs it done bad.

Thanks

Chrismath88
01-26-2014, 10:24 PM
Hey, sorry i have been away. Hibernation.

For my dashboard I just used automotive compound and polish. Little elbow grease. It came back very quickly. I have finally scraped together the money for the interior and am hopeful that spring will come soon and I can begin work again in March...

joeshredder
02-05-2014, 08:19 PM
Hey, sorry i have been away. Hibernation.

For my dashboard I just used automotive compound and polish. Little elbow grease. It came back very quickly. I have finally scraped together the money for the interior and am hopeful that spring will come soon and I can begin work again in March...

@Chrismath88
I was wondering what your Prostar 190 Decals looked like?
Do you have new ones ready to install?
Where did you find them?

Thank you in advance :)

atihanyi
02-05-2014, 09:35 PM
@Chrismath88
Where did you find them?

do a search for bay area water sports . they are out of business but when they closed they had all the files to make any decals and the lady that was doing them has started her own business . I have a brand new set ready to go on in the spring from them and she does nice work

thatsmrmastercraft
02-05-2014, 10:04 PM
@Chrismath88
Where did you find them?

do a search for bay area water sports . they are out of business but when they closed they had all the files to make any decals and the lady that was doing them has started her own business . I have a brand new set ready to go on in the spring from them and she does nice work

This is the link to the gal that was doing vinyl for BAWS.

http://www.planeth2oonline.com/

You might also PM mikeg205. He might just be able to help you out.

atihanyi
02-05-2014, 10:07 PM
This is the link to the gal that was doing vinyl for BAWS.

http://www.planeth2oonline.com/

You might also PM mikeg205. He might just be able to help you out.

thankyou sir:cool:

thatsmrmastercraft
02-05-2014, 10:10 PM
thankyou sir:cool:

http://forums.catholic.com/images/smilies/ani/ani_tiphat.gif

mikeg205
02-06-2014, 12:35 AM
I have most of the artwork drawn - only a few thing missing... let me know what you need and I will create the artwork and see if I can solve your problem.

If it's not here - let me know what you need.

BAWS managed the orders for the decals - not sure what is going to happen going forward.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/o91j4vsfromgu2x/r0N1CR5VtR

DooSPX
02-20-2014, 02:12 PM
I believe Mike has all of the 91 style mc decals even the traction mat decal well all except for the slash MasterCraft side decal with the drop shadow.

here are most you would need. All decals are white on your boat FYI.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/o91j4vsfromgu2x/YDKB3_YLnL/Banded%20Prostar%20white.pdf
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/o91j4vsfromgu2x/r0N1CR5VtR#lh:null-banded%20star%20blk%20190.ai
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/o91j4vsfromgu2x/r0N1CR5VtR#lh:null-Stern%20Decal%20with%20stripe%20no%20shadow.ai

Chrismath88
03-24-2014, 11:03 PM
Can't believe BAWS is out of business, I was just planning on ordering in the next few weeks! Does anyone know if the lady who has the decals now is continuing the same quality? I've decided since the 91 was a one year only I'm keeping the colors and decals exactly as they came from the factory, maybe slightly larger side decals but same slashed style color as factory.

Weather is so cold in NE! Interior is at shop I'll post pictures as I get them!

thatsmrmastercraft
03-24-2014, 11:43 PM
Can't believe BAWS is out of business, I was just planning on ordering in the next few weeks! Does anyone know if the lady who has the decals now is continuing the same quality? I've decided since the 91 was a one year only I'm keeping the colors and decals exactly as they came from the factory, maybe slightly larger side decals but same slashed style color as factory.

Weather is so cold in NE! Interior is at shop I'll post pictures as I get them!

Send mikeg205 a PM. He does very impressive work and can work with you on any modifications you want. His work on the decals on my '77 is top of the line.

Chrismath88
03-25-2014, 01:34 PM
Hey Mike, I tried but couldn't figure out how to PM you, if you could PM me I'm interested in an entire new decal set for my 91.

Thanks, Chris

Chrismath88
04-02-2014, 08:40 AM
Mastercraft skins update from the guy doing my interior. Notice the red and blue logo he said the stitching behind was still there and this is an exact color match. I told him I wanted it original. Never seen one with blue and red logos. Anyone else seen this?

Pickwick
04-02-2014, 09:02 AM
Red and blue logos...classic. :cool:

patusa
04-02-2014, 09:48 AM
That looks great!! What was the cost of the dog house skins?

Chrismath88
04-02-2014, 11:01 AM
Thanks, unsure the break down but he's doing all the seats including new foam for 1700 with carpet for the entire boat. I brought him the seats and I will install carpet, tho I might ask his price for that too

Chrismath88
04-02-2014, 12:53 PM
Has anyone else seen the red and blue logos? Guess I'm bringing the red stripe back.

patusa
04-02-2014, 04:31 PM
Will be looking to redo my 91 prostar the same colors as yours.

Chrismath88
04-02-2014, 11:53 PM
Mike here are the pictures.

Quick
04-03-2014, 06:59 AM
Mike here are the pictures.

Mike, I have the same year boat and need those same decals if you don't mind making another pair? I am referring to the Boatman's checklist and the red decal beside it. Do you also make capacity decals? Thank you

patusa
04-03-2014, 09:19 AM
Can you give me his phone # ?

Chrismath88
04-04-2014, 07:35 AM
Yes certainly
Kens auto upholstery (413) 447-9226
Ask for Ken (usual just Ken and his lady there)

https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=160086820741354

patusa
04-04-2014, 08:07 AM
Thank you!! I going to give him a call today.

mikeg205
04-04-2014, 10:20 AM
Yes I can make the warning stickers - any idea what color the type was on red stickers? white?

these guys make the capacity stickers.

mike

Quick
04-04-2014, 10:48 AM
I don't, mine is all faded. You didn't post a link to the capacity stickers.

Thanks

mikeg205
04-08-2014, 04:20 PM
I will make up the sticker for you tonight and post up.

chrism. sending a PM

mike

mikeg205
04-08-2014, 11:10 PM
here's the link to the capacity stickers..

http://garzonstudio.com/boat/capacity-decal.html - capacity stickers

I can make the other warning stickers - I have all the type now.

Quick
04-09-2014, 03:55 AM
Thanks Mike and sending you a PM on some other decals. Sorry to thread Jack.

Chrismath88
04-21-2014, 07:29 PM
So the winter is finally breaking up her in the cold north and I'm about to whip this boat into high gear. Have scheduled a few days of work and interior is ready for pickup. will be ordering compound soon since the stuff I had been using doesn't seem to work well with my professional buffer/compounder. What would you all recommend as the highest grit compound, saw some 3m imperial something that seemed to indicate up to 600p scratches? What have you all had success with? Also any tips for laying carpet?

Thanks! Will post what I have of the interior from my guy. I'll update Thoes too when I get it Friday.

Chrismath88
04-21-2014, 10:25 PM
Here are the pictures I have so far of the interior. The observer seat seems to be misaligned. He assures me it's the picture. Im hoping this is true otherwise I'll have him redo it. Also the rear seat seems to have the logo at an angle. Again we shall see.

mikeg205
04-22-2014, 12:03 AM
Nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chrismath88
04-25-2014, 11:23 AM
Just picked up the interior. Looks great, pictures did no justice. I'll test fit everything after lunch here and update more pictures. Then the carpet removal begins.

Chrismath88
04-25-2014, 11:24 AM
Here is one picture showing very straight lines on the observer seat.

Chrismath88
04-25-2014, 10:37 PM
Didn't get the time I wanted but snapped a few photos before I take on the recarpeting.

Chrismath88
04-27-2014, 10:43 PM
Can anyone confirm if the pylon has to be removed to take out the front center section? Really trying to leave whatever I can alone.

This is in regards to redoing the carpet, Tuesdays job if the temperature cooperates...

Thanks!

Chris M

GKinTN
04-28-2014, 04:49 AM
Not sure on the pylon. That said last week I was running the transducer line for my depth finder (on my '91 PS 190) and pulled the front floor section under the driver's seat for access but had issues. Seems on my boat the panel get's snagged at the engine impeller pump and cannot be simply pulled out. I was able to prop it lifted enough to run the wiring, but it might be easier to do a carpet install on that panel with it totally removed which may require removing the impeller pump...

Chrismath88
05-03-2014, 10:04 PM
I have a new found respect for everyone on here who has installed their own carpet. I spent today removing my old carpet and am certain that I'll pay someone else to do so if there ever is a next time!

Chrismath88
05-03-2014, 10:09 PM
Tried to remove front center section which required me finding many screw's hidden in the carpet. Front wouldn't come up found the screw's on the kick panel to the left. Center section was screwed to it.

Chrismath88
05-03-2014, 10:14 PM
Finally getting out the center section, tried to get it out by moving it all around. Didn't work to big. After debating taking the raw water pump off or the pylon off I settled on the pylon. Sure glad I did because it came off so easy!

Chrismath88
05-03-2014, 10:32 PM
Then carpet just pulled up pretty easily as in the glue didn't give much fight. But very annoying to get it out of tight areas... Very itchy now! Fiberglass fibers pulled from my hands.. Be sure to use gloves in the future!

Chrismath88
05-03-2014, 10:35 PM
Ready for new carpet to go in... Anyone have tips for best glue and any best practices??

Chrismath88
05-04-2014, 04:21 PM
After finding out that Mike had my decals ready I've been compounding all day in anticipation. Things I have learned are that the correct tools and supply's make all the difference. Anyone who is going to be attempting to bring gel coat back or remove scratches should really skip the sanding, buy a heavy duty (not auto zone) buffer. I purchased a makita 9227C and all the correct wool and foam compounding pads. This and 3m compound products, I will from now on sware by 3m super duty rubbing compound and 3m imperial compound. The first to cut the second to finish.

Was very rewarding to see the very quick difference the right stuff makes. Boats nearly ready for decals, as far as my ocd for gel coat perfection will allow...

Also cleaned up the bilge, was considering compounding there to remove scratches but stopped my ocd there.

Chrismath88
05-04-2014, 04:28 PM
Bilge pictures

mikeg205
05-04-2014, 05:01 PM
Chris is going to be busy. :) can wait to see finished project...

Regarding carpeting... please post lots of pictures please.. that's on my to do list. thanks.

mikeg205
05-04-2014, 05:03 PM
Then carpet just pulled up pretty easily as in the glue didn't give much fight. But very annoying to get it out of tight areas... Very itchy now! Fiberglass fibers pulled from my hands.. Be sure to use gloves in the future!

Looks like lots of room to slide new carpet under deck

Chrismath88
05-04-2014, 07:25 PM
Looking great Mike!!

Yea I left carpet in bow and under gas tank for now. Probably won't redo under the bow because that looks fine in there just clean it. Used box cutter to cut it right inside the seat frame. Was able to pull out the old carpet but still was a fight. Tried lifting with a screwdriver. Bad idea chipped a small price of gel coat of it. Won't notice with new carpet in but I will know...

Would love carpet glue advice if anyone has done it, what worked and how to install.

mikeg205
05-04-2014, 07:32 PM
Chris - I saw carpet similar and carpet guy recommended this.

Thanks for the kind words... :) I really enjoy making the decals. cant wait to see them on...

Scoco6162
05-05-2014, 06:34 AM
What did u use to bring the dash back? It looks great

Chrismath88
05-05-2014, 08:29 AM
Hey Mike, what was that product?

Scoco, thanks, just used compound was very quick to come back actually. Did it by hand but will use a buffer before I hit the water probably.

mikeg205
05-05-2014, 08:58 AM
Indoor outdoor carpet glue from Home Depot ... They said ok for marine application .. Not special.. But cheaper than marine specific. http://m.homedepot.com/p/Roberts-6700-1-gal-Indoor-Outdoor-Carpet-and-Artificial-Turf-Adhesive-6700-1/100117949/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeyOrange88
05-05-2014, 01:17 PM
^^That is the same product I recently used when recarpeting mine. My best tip would be to also get a can of mineral spirits. Inevitable that you'll get some glue on the wrong side of things. Also, when carpeting the removable panels, test fit the carpet where it wraps to the bottom and tape off a line there, only spreading glue to the tape line. That way you won't have any exposed glue that will likely get onto something else.

Another simple tool I used to great extent is one of those carpet knifes that uses long double edged razor blades. Can't ever have enough sharp blades.

MikeyOrange88
05-05-2014, 01:43 PM
Extra MCOCD point for replacing the blower vent hose while you're there! (SkiDIM has the black). I had a bit of white in mine for awhile, hated it.:D

Chrismath88
05-05-2014, 08:01 PM
Oh I am def replacing that piece of junk and the blower. I wan't to get new switches and new plastic. My plastic is cracked as usual...

Thanks for the carpet advice that's certainly my biggest hurdle, well aside from applying all these fresh decals Mike made for me.

I will use that glue. Was wondering about contact adhesive types if they might work better for applying in hard area vs clamping unless that home depot for requires no clamping?

Then only have, well tons of things left lol.

92Prostar190
05-12-2014, 02:31 PM
Read through this thread, which was very helpful as I am looking to remove surface scratches all around the boat. Guy before me must have thought it was a good idea to use a 3M scotch-brite pad like this (http://www.amazon.com/3M-Scotch-Brite-General-Purpose-6-Inch/dp/B000LPN3WQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1399918833&sr=8-4&keywords=3m+scrubbing+padshttp://) to remove water stains or other marks. It left scratches all over the gelcoat, though you can't see them in natural light.

So I went with the advice of least aggressive method first and tried the 3M rubbing compound with wool pad on orbital polisher. I didn't see much of a difference honestly. Thus I am thinking it is going to require wet sanding to really bring back the shine.

There are some varied opinions on this, but here is what I have mapped out, so tell me where I missed.

Step 1: 600 grit wetdry sandpaper on rubber sanding block using circular movement; spray with water and dip sandpaper bucket with water and small amount of soap (what type?)

Step 2: 1500 grit wetdry sandpaper on rubber sanding block same as above

Step 3: 3M super duty rubbing compound using wool pad on orbital polisher

Step 4: 3M imperial compound with wool pad as above

Step 5: A Meguire's or similar brand polish (step 2 of 3 step system they have) with foam pad

Step 6: Carnuba wax

It does make me nervous to take sandpaper to the boat, but I have seen enough successes on here to be willing to go at it. Looks like the middle accent color will bleed onto the white gelcoat, so I assume just keep it sprayed off so nothing dries. Might be recommended to do the accent color first and then the main sections above and below second, commonly white or cream?

Thanks for the input.

Cloaked
05-12-2014, 04:48 PM
I think 600 is too aggressive for the first pass. Try a 1200 grit first and see how it works. However, if you know you have scratches that require grit, go for it...

occva
05-12-2014, 05:28 PM
I am in the process of doing my carpet. I dont know if you have cleaned up the old carpet residue yet, but if you havent, I scraped all I could with a putty knife and then lacquer thinner for the rest.

I am using weldwood contact cement. It works good for this. You will want a well ventilated area. The Home Depot carpet glue might be more forgiving when working around your seat base. I was lucky, mine came out.

ncsucarjock88
05-12-2014, 10:06 PM
Looking great :-)

Chrismath88
05-15-2014, 03:34 PM
OK back again, I would recommend using 3m super duty compound and using a real buffer like the mikita, not cheap unfortunately. I have removed deep deep scratches with much less fuss and half the time. Sanding will inevitable require compounding or more sanding then compounding so make sure your technique and tools are correct because mine weren't originally and spent tons of time compounding to make up for it.

As far as carpet, thank you for posting the above, I took many pictures but accomplished little. Here it is so far.

Still awaiting the glue process... I'm going to cover the transition at the rear with black plastic I believe.

Chrismath88
05-15-2014, 03:36 PM
The white marks you see I used a candle just rubbed it on and rubbed it off.... Won't work in sun as the sun will melt the wax... didn't have soap around.

occva
05-15-2014, 04:49 PM
Looks just like my driveway last week. Had to fuss at the wife when she walked on the carpet. NO SHOES in the Boat!!

Chrismath88
05-24-2014, 08:58 PM
Ok, big day! well beginning of big weekend. At least as far as the boat is concerned. I'm tired I'll let the pictures do the talking. Let's be honest pictures are what we all wan't anyway...

Chrismath88
05-24-2014, 09:13 PM
Used car jack and wood to jack up deck to get carpet under. Then rolled it back avd slathered in glue.

occva
05-24-2014, 09:39 PM
Looks good. I am glad I am not the only one stuck working on the boat this weekend.

Chrismath88
05-24-2014, 11:23 PM
Lol you are not alone sir! I'm still going. Done for the night tho. Compounding and polishing tomorrow am in prep for mikes decals. Decals for days...

Chrismath88
05-25-2014, 10:34 AM
Off to West Marine to grab extra bilge pump, new blower motor and blower exhaust tube. Oh and pin striping. Then home depot to grab plywood and resin to make new rear floor panel. Mine is saggy like old women's... Thinking about making it in two pieces. I'll decide on the way...

Chrismath88
05-25-2014, 09:29 PM
Ok people, more progress. More pictures. I feel like I should win some sort of weekend progress award... Half way through planned projects. Will I make it??

Who cares. Lol

Chrismath88
05-25-2014, 09:36 PM
I should at least win an award for most pictures in a thread...

Chrismath88
05-25-2014, 09:43 PM
More pictures

Quick
05-26-2014, 05:27 AM
Looks great. Just let me know when you want me to bring my 91 to you!!!!

Ironhorse
05-26-2014, 08:04 AM
Nice work!!! Looks like it was a busy weekend!

Jeffer
05-26-2014, 02:42 PM
Way more than I did this weekend!

Chrismath88
05-26-2014, 08:56 PM
Thanks all,

sooooo, while I was obsessively rewiring my bilge pump and new blower with marine shrink tubing (po used crimp fittings...). I noticed something that looked concerning. Maybe it isnt but id love someone to weigh in.

Chrismath88
05-26-2014, 08:58 PM
First is two holes left by bilge pump and other is cracking around mounting point of pylon... Should these be filled related so water does not continue to penetrate?

zekedog
05-26-2014, 10:49 PM
Awesome work. Looks great. My 92 PS needs your help.

Chrismath88
05-26-2014, 11:15 PM
Thanks, I can't help myself, but is really turning out better than I had imagined.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the cracking/ holes in the bilge?

RJ101
05-27-2014, 03:13 PM
hi all . hope its alright to jump in on this . I just purchased a 1991 prostar , ging to polish and restore it , however I think I might be needing mike asap lol if its alright

RJ101
05-27-2014, 03:16 PM
also , as for the seats , It seems I have the wrong rear seat given to me and was wondering if anyone could lead me in the right direction to possibly obtaining the right one (any condition as long as I can re-ski ) the guy up here is amazing at the work

RJ101
05-27-2014, 03:18 PM
as the work progresses I to will post up some pics fromm north of the border LOL ...... thinking I got a great deal so I can really put heart and soul into the project ( its all for my girls :) )

RJ101
05-27-2014, 03:27 PM
love a set of decals for my project mike :) how do I go about getting a set from you ? (I can only hope my project turns out as nice as chris's has so far ....

TRBenj
05-27-2014, 05:19 PM
Someone familiar with how MC built that boat originally might need to comment on that cracking. Were they installing a pre-fabbed "bilge pan" as it appears? I know that's how Malibu builds their boats. If so, you really don't want water getting in between the bilge pan and hull. If you're sure it's dry, I'd 5200 that crack shut. If you're not sure it's dry, take whatever measures necessary to convince yourself!

mikeg205
05-27-2014, 07:15 PM
First is two holes left by bilge pump and other is cracking around mounting point of pylon... Should these be filled related so water does not continue to penetrate?

You can get the johnson pump and use the same holes - that's what I did. On the other holes I can't respond. My boat has does not have that.

RJ101
05-27-2014, 07:35 PM
first off , chris your work on your boat looks amazing , second , mike ill be needed some dcals for my '91 prostar190 , I do hope you can accomadate someone north of the boarer ...

mikeg205
05-27-2014, 07:39 PM
first off , chris your work on your boat looks amazing , second , mike ill be needed some dcals for my '91 prostar190 , I do hope you can accomadate someone north of the boarer ...

Yes RJ I can help... are you going to need a full set?

RJ101
05-27-2014, 08:26 PM
yes please , the color of mine is black, instead of the flagship blue though ...

Chrismath88
05-27-2014, 09:27 PM
Thanks, it had some water in it from me cleaning the bilge, any other ideas on this. I will fill if needed. Just wouldn't want to trap water. Also is pylon mount cracking an issue. Just gel as I see. Just trying to be prefect. I have more I did to post just want to clear this up first. Thanks!

Chrismath88
05-27-2014, 09:37 PM
Dont want people getting distracted by my exhaust removal and test fit of seats and wiring organization. At this rate of obsessing the boat won't see water this year.. Lol

Chrismath88
05-28-2014, 11:47 AM
Other things I worked on was exhaust tips that leaked. Have decided to reseal everything including pitot tubes avd swim platform mount. Unless anyone would advise against touching the swim platform mounts.

First picture is new bilge pump wiring organization. Then draining fuel from boat to gf's car. Then lifting tank to get to hose clamps on exhaust pipe to tips.

mikeg205
05-28-2014, 11:50 AM
Thanks, it had some water in it from me cleaning the bilge, any other ideas on this. I will fill if needed. Just wouldn't want to trap water. Also is pylon mount cracking an issue. Just gel as I see. Just trying to be prefect. I have more I did to post just want to clear this up first. Thanks!

I would fill it with West Systems filler... I would do for piece of mind. Looks like it was over tightened and the structural integrity is still there...IMO

mikeg205
05-28-2014, 11:53 AM
Other things I worked on was exhaust tips that leaked. Have decided to reseal everything including pitot tubes avd swim platform mount. Unless anyone would advise against touching the swim platform mounts.

First picture is new bilge pump wiring organization. Then draining fuel from boat to gf's car. Then lifting tank to get to hose clamps on exhaust pipe to tips.

I wouldn't sweat the exhaust flanges too much -

I would leave the platform mounts alone - maybe give them a quick spray - unless you see a real problem.. IMO

Chrismath88
05-28-2014, 11:57 AM
Cleaning the one tip I got off. Then had to run weekend was over.

Today picked up final interior part and got nice piece of the dark grey vinyl he used for my seats to cover the cupholder I had a family friend make. Going to look awesome.

Chrismath88
05-28-2014, 12:00 PM
Thanks Mike! I certainly appreciate the advice. I'm really looking forward to the decals. I just have so much to do and wanted to get the carpet in. Should be getting close tho need one more full day of compounding to be satisfied its good enough before they go on.

RJ101
05-28-2014, 05:05 PM
chris , what time frame was there between you ordering your interior from mastercraft till you received the order ?

Chrismath88
05-28-2014, 09:35 PM
The interior? I had done at Ken's auto upholstery in Pittsfield MA. I made a thread in the interior section with pictures and contact info. That being said maybe a month lead time or less depending how busy he is. Exceptional work. Really nice guy.

Chrismath88
05-30-2014, 12:28 AM
Received cup holder from friend. He made it out of some composite building material. Going to cover in the dark gray vinyl I got from my upholstery guy. Was going to add a vent with extra logo on it Mike gave me but now I'm thinking just they vinyl no vent would look very clean.

Chrismath88
07-17-2014, 10:58 PM
After a long time working is finally decal time! Ok pictures first.

Chrismath88
07-17-2014, 11:02 PM
Then more finish polishing and time for the big one.

Chrismath88
07-17-2014, 11:11 PM
Results of lite pressure and time.

Pickwick
07-18-2014, 10:46 AM
Very nice. I love the bold decals. :cool:

Chrismath88
07-18-2014, 01:16 PM
Thanks, just finished both sides, thanks to Mike, super easy install, didn't use soap was much easier to stick dry I thought.

homer12
07-18-2014, 03:12 PM
Amazing work and kudos for all the time you put in! you still going to pinstripe?

Chrismath88
07-18-2014, 04:25 PM
Pictures

Chrismath88
07-18-2014, 04:27 PM
Thanks, and yes I'm going to add the stripe. Wasn't going to but the white on the decals really makes the grey standout. It def needs the pin stripes. Decals went slow but fairly easy so I'm hoping pin stripes will too

mikeg205
08-07-2014, 10:31 PM
Chris you did an awesome job on that boat! Great vinyl installation as well! Any pics on the water?

Mike

Chrismath88
08-07-2014, 11:27 PM
Thanks Mike, I wish lol, she's been a garage queen. Carb rebuild didn't go smoothly so while that's being rebuilt again I'm continuing cosmetics. Maybe redoing rub rail rivets tomorrow.. This winter I'm going to resand the stern as the old vinyl left raised impressions maybe from compounding over them. Gauge cluster will be winter too. But good news is the boat lift I purchased is finally done being welded. Will hopefully use the boat later this month. I'll post thoes pictures for sure. As the cold is probably soon to creep over the north too soon...

Red stripe is back.

Chrismath88
08-07-2014, 11:47 PM
First picture was showing what compounding erased from nose, dock rash...

VP46
08-07-2014, 11:48 PM
hurry up with the water pics man~! Looks awesome!

Chrismath88
08-08-2014, 10:30 PM
I wish, hopefully before the end of the month... Rub rail off to reseal and re rivet.... Work is keeping me away for now.

mikeg205
08-08-2014, 10:34 PM
Thanks Mike, I wish lol, she's been a garage queen. Carb rebuild didn't go smoothly so while that's being rebuilt again I'm continuing cosmetics. Maybe redoing rub rail rivets tomorrow.. This winter I'm going to resand the stern as the old vinyl left raised impressions maybe from compounding over them. Gauge cluster will be winter too. But good news is the boat lift I purchased is finally done being welded. Will hopefully use the boat later this month. I'll post thoes pictures for sure. As the cold is probably soon to creep over the north too soon...

Red stripe is back.

Chris your doing am awesome job... Funny how the work thing gets in the way ;)

Chrismath88
09-03-2014, 11:14 AM
Getting closer! Boat is finally dropped off at the lake, ready for final tune from mastercraft so it can finally get wet next weekend.

h_2_o
09-03-2014, 03:12 PM
do you still have your rear seat out? am am going to have to build one for mine soon and was wanting some better pictures of the seat itself. if so could you post them.

thanks

Shawnymac11
09-03-2014, 03:17 PM
How many square feet of carpet did you end up buying?

Chrismath88
09-03-2014, 06:18 PM
I'll check into the dimensions and I'll get more pictures of the rear seat. Probably won't be till next weekend when I get up there but I'll post both.

Ironhorse
09-03-2014, 07:03 PM
That looks great! You're just about ready to start polishing that trailer. :)

88 PS190
09-03-2014, 08:24 PM
Does your 91 have a board behind the seat? The 94 I'm tweaking has the seat but nothing behind it, where as my 88 has the seat and a fiberglass panel with carpet around it.

mikeg205
09-03-2014, 08:25 PM
looks great Chris!!!

88 PS190
09-03-2014, 08:31 PM
H20 - A neat tweak to consider is to look at some of the modern boats that have jump seats to both sides and a step in the middle instead of mirroring the factory design which has a styrofoam base with some plastic pans, and then a removable seat base.

I don't ski with the rear seats in the boats since it is pretty tough to step over in order to get onto the platform.

Not that you can mirror this - but a middle step over point is really nice, and separated seats, or possibly a port side step over and a 2 seat area on the drivers could be pretty functional as well.

http://www.mastercraft.com/assets/prostar/images/features/180.jpg

Chrismath88
09-03-2014, 09:50 PM
Thanks! My 91 has a composite panel covered in carpet. I'm pretty sure that is how they should be. So it makes the interior look finished when the rear seat is out for skiing.

Slvr Bulit
09-04-2014, 01:55 PM
Wow, I just read the whole post. Chris you did a helluva job. I hope you get it in the water soon. I live in Taunton, MA if its close I would love to see it in person.

Chrismath88
09-04-2014, 09:13 PM
Hey thanks! I still have more I want to do this winter. Will have it in the water weekend after this. Barring any more unknown problems... I store it in Bedford mass you can swing thru this fall if you'd like. I'll be winterizing it soon unfortunately.

h_2_o
09-04-2014, 10:55 PM
thanks for any help on the seats all. I'm not sure 100% exactly what i'm going to do with it yet but hey any input is helpful.

88 PS190
09-04-2014, 11:30 PM
I will check back on this in a few weeks before I'm by our boat again, if you still want detail pics/measurements I can take some.

Due to my own desire to be able to access the fuel tank and battery area (I never trust fuel senders) - I'm basically thinking of reworking the rear area to have two separate seats with a center viewer that would show enough fuel tank to get a good view on fuel level.

This sounds silly but 90% of the time I run the boat on that final 6-10 gallons of fuel, topping up 4-5 gallons at a time from cans. I scarcely ever fuel up fully unless we plan a day long excursion down the chain, so in that zone new fuel senders bounce between empty and a 1/4 and you cannot trust it for run time anyhow - hence the desire for a view window.

h_2_o
09-05-2014, 01:16 AM
measurements are not needed, but if you could do some detailed front and rear of the seat that would be great. because there is a couple years difference in models i can see there being a possible slight difference in measurements so I'm going to try and go off of looks. I do like the idea of splitting it.

BTW no hurry on images just whenever you can get some they will be appreciated.

Chrismath88
09-11-2014, 08:58 AM
Heard from mastercraft yesterday. After two rebuilds from the first shop the carb is still dumping fuel. Now sending out to the shop I apparently should have sent it to months ago... It seems that being able to build race cars and rebuild all sorts of classic carbs doesn't translate to my marine Holly application... He had it running on one of his cars before he gave it to me the second time. Mastercraft messed with it for three (very expensive) hours before concluding it needed a rebuild... Missing parts? Unsure how it could run but now won't. Service lady told me it's not a race car. That part I did realize.

Maybe next week and more hundreds of dollars later the boat will touch water... But who knows. Should have bought a new carb at this point. Very frustrated.

thatsmrmastercraft
09-11-2014, 09:59 AM
Heard from mastercraft yesterday. After two rebuilds from the first shop the carb is still dumping fuel. Now sending out to the shop I apparently should have sent it to months ago... It seems that being able to build race cars and rebuild all sorts of classic carbs doesn't translate to my marine Holly application... He had it running on one of his cars before he gave it to me the second time. Mastercraft messed with it for three (very expensive) hours before concluding it needed a rebuild... Missing parts? Unsure how it could run but now won't. Service lady told me it's not a race car. That part I did realize.

Maybe next week and more hundreds of dollars later the boat will touch water... But who knows. Should have bought a new carb at this point. Very frustrated.

Crap.........wish I was following this thread more closely. I would have been happy to go through your carb and work out the problem. Could have thrown it on my boat to performance test. If you haven't sent it yet, give me a shout.

Chrismath88
09-11-2014, 10:11 AM
Hey thanks! yea I should have tried sending it to you, I was really not worried until this final news from mastercraft saying it still won't work. Unfortunately it's already sent out but I'll check in with you if I have any more issues next week.