PDA

View Full Version : Boat Cover Opinion Needed

TN X-45
10-21-2013, 04:55 PM
All, trying to decide what to do with my boat cover this winter. I have a new one I bought this year - top of the line. I also have my old one that still works it is just not as waterproof. Boat is stored on a covered lift in the winter but does get some rain blowing in sideways. Should I leave the new cover on this winter, put the old one on or try to put the old one over the new one? Trying to minimize wear and tear/fading on the new one. Thoughts?

skitilldark
10-21-2013, 06:29 PM
All, trying to decide what to do with my boat cover this winter. I have a new one I bought this year - top of the line. I also have my old one that still works it is just not as waterproof. Boat is stored on a covered lift in the winter but does get some rain blowing in sideways. Should I leave the new cover on this winter, put the old one on or try to put the old one over the new one? Trying to minimize wear and tear/fading on the new one. Thoughts?

I do that. I'll put the tonneau on and then the grey cover over it-just so I don't get water leaking in around the tower holes.

ricford
10-21-2013, 07:10 PM
I wouldn't put the old one over the new one. When water leaks through the old one it will be trapped between the covers, and you'll end up with a pair of mouldy covers.

VP46
10-21-2013, 08:00 PM
my two cents: If it is not a covered lift I would drape the old one over the tower and put the new one on. (the old one attached to the bow and stern so it acts like a tee pee)

bhanson
10-22-2013, 11:58 AM
Different climate here in the Rocky Mountains, but winterizing my boat also means $250 for shrinkwrap. Cheap insurance to me, and never worry about the elements, animals, or security. Just as clean and dry in the spring as i left it in the fall, and eliminates 6 months of wear/tear on my custom covers.

bhanson
10-22-2013, 12:00 PM
BTW, when I am tooling around town or park the boat overnight I just use my custom covers, but when I hit the road for Lake Powell I always put on my old second cover for added protection.