PDA

View Full Version : Random questions on 2006 X15

blackhawk
10-20-2013, 10:07 PM
I just bought my boat about a month ago. Just had a few questions on some things that I have ran across.

1) What do the buttons do on the key fob in the picture? The previous owner said something about it turning some lights on??? It doesn't work for me, but most likely the battery in it is dead.
2) Under the front dash on both sides there is a dryer style hose coming down from the top. I assume that it connects to the slots under the windshield to let fresh air in. Directly beneath each hose is a hole in the floorboard. Should these hoses connect to these holes? I can insert the one on the passenger side into the hole, but the hole on the drivers side has the heater hoses coming up through it. Are these vents just to let fresh air in that will eventually feedback to the engine?
3) Why are the drain hoses from the exhaust manifolds connected together? Is there a purpose to them being tied together other than just having one joint to loosen in order to drain the water out? My other boat had a V6 and there was just a plug on the bottom of each exhaust manifold, they weren't connected. Anyone else have this problem?
4) I changed the oil this weekend and ran the oil drain hose out the drain plug hole. I only had about 2 quarts come out. I did run the engine up to full temperature beforehand. I had the dipstick out, oil cap and filter off. I had to get the rest of the oil out with my suction pump through the dipstick hole.
5) My manual says the 350 MCX holds 6 quarts of oil, but I only got out 5. I raised the boat up and down with the trailer jack, so I felt like I got it all. I put 5 quarts back in and the dipstick read full. Is the manual wrong or am I missing something.

Thanks

Thrall
10-20-2013, 11:05 PM
Yes the hoses to the windshield vents are sort of a de fogger.
5qts of oil is correct. I've never had good luck just draining the oil out of the drain hose on my mcx or older lt1 motor. I pull the oil out of the drain hose.
The hose hooking together the manifold drains is to make it easier than pulling the plug.

Aric'sX15
10-20-2013, 11:13 PM
1) turns the cockpit lights on.
2)they should ventilate the bilge and engine if im not mistaken. it does connect to the top vents.
3) my mcx and all other motors ive seen in my mastercrafts have had the two hoses connected together so that is normal.
4) i always had to use my suction pump to change the oil.
5) should be 5.5 quarts if im not mistaken, and i could never get all of it out either.

Table Rocker
10-20-2013, 11:30 PM
Some of the oil will be in the filter.

swatguy
10-20-2013, 11:32 PM
Did u put any oil in the filter? If you fill the filter up its usually 5.75 on my LTR. Same for MCX. Without a filter change it's usually 5. You definitely need to use a suction pump.

Those hoses are just for airflow as mentioned. They can be squeezed and inserted into almost any irregular inlet even with all the hoses coming up on the drivers side behind the kick panel.

The manifold hose is the quick drain. Piece of cake to empty.

Can't help ya with the remote.

blackhawk
10-21-2013, 08:40 AM
Thanks guys. Few more comments/questions below.

1) The remote has two buttons. Sounds like one is for the cockpit lights. What about the other one?

5) I could have put in 5-1/2 quarts of oil. I was using gallon jugs of oil, so my measurement could have been a little off. The previous owner had a little short filter so that is probably why I only got out 5 quarts. I put a long one back on (NAPA 1069).

rgardjr1
10-21-2013, 06:00 PM
Thanks guys. Few more comments/questions below.

1) The remote has two buttons. Sounds like one is for the cockpit lights. What about the other one?

Edit:
After my original post I found a pdf copy of the manual on my pc. It will shut the lights of automatically after 2 minutes. I'm going to attach the manual a brochure.

markmcfarland
10-21-2013, 06:51 PM
If you can let the oil drain overnight, it will pretty much all come out. If you don't have time for that I used to use a blower like you fill up a tube with (low pressure) and blow back in the engine which sped up drain time.