PDA

View Full Version : 1983 Stars & Stripes Restoration

Sawdust
10-20-2013, 04:49 PM
And so it begins...

I've had this boat in storage for three years now, and the previous owner for eleven before that. Now I'm finally in a position where I can start breathing some life back into this classic. It's been a long time coming for sure! The previous owner told me he bought the boat in '87 from a ski club in northern Illinois named The Ski Broncs who used it on the Rock River. When he bought it from them they'd told him that they had bought it from Cypress Gardens a few years earlier. It's a great story, and I want to believe it's true but probably won't ever be able to prove it. I did spend quite a bit of time looking for any remaining indication that a number 1-5 decal had been placed near the gas tank at some point but unfortunately couldn't find anything. Maybe a black light will expose something...would love to know which one it was (if it was) so I could put the number back on it!

From outside appearances the boat looks very sound...especially considering it probably took a pretty good pounding in it's early years. A few hairline cracks in the gel coat, small scratches and dings here and there, but no cracks on the inside corners. 30 years of oxidation too. The engine, well it hasn't run since '99. The previous owner builds race engines as a hobby and claims he lubed and sealed it up in all the right places, we'll see. All I know for sure at this point is that it's not ceased. I'll probably pull it out and take it to a pro...looking for someone in the northern Illinois area if anyone here can recommend someone I can trust.

mikeg205
10-20-2013, 04:56 PM
Hey saw dust we're almost neighbors.. hey I don't know anyone up your way - but we have a shop hear in plainfield, http://www.lastchanceautorepairs.com/ and Too_Tall here knows someone in the Kankakee area.

Looking forward to reading and seein' pic's. Cbryan may have some insight as well - he just sold his S & S

There also maybe someone north since you're up that way already.

mike

thatsmrmastercraft
10-20-2013, 04:59 PM
Looks like you have a fine boat to work on. The Chrysler engine is a cool surprise.

mikeg205
10-20-2013, 05:09 PM
Looks like you have a fine boat to work on. The Chrysler engine is a cool surprise.

which motor is that? 427? I don't know the big block Mopars...

Like the heater in the garage... now all it needs is a urinal like Jawz in WI... ;)

Another great resource...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/102832819752389/

thatsmrmastercraft
10-20-2013, 05:12 PM
which motor is that? 427? I don't know the big block Mopars...

Like the heater in the garage... now all it needs is a urinal like Jawz in WI... ;)

Not a big block. 318 I would guess.

+ 1 on the heater and the urinal. Add a TV, fridge and pizza oven and I guy might never make it back into the house.

Sawdust
10-20-2013, 05:16 PM
It's a 440 Mike (7.2 litre), say's it's 320 hp but I'm told it could be more like 420 hp, not sure if that's accurate tho. Looked at Last chance auto's site, no mention of marine. There's a place called Precision Race Engines in Plainfield too...they look good, and maybe a little pricey. Must be someone up in the Fox Lake area I imagine. I do have a urinal btw, it's a Solo cup.

mikeg205
10-20-2013, 05:17 PM
Not a big block. 318 I would guess.

+ 1 on the heater and the urinal. Add a TV, fridge and pizza oven and I guy might never make it back into the house.

awesome....

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing013.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing013.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing013.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

thatsmrmastercraft
10-20-2013, 05:21 PM
It's a 440 Mike (7.2 litre), say's it's 320 hp but I'm told it could be more like 420 hp, not sure if that's accurate tho. Looked at Last chance auto's site, no mention of marine. There's a place called Precision Race Engines in Plainfield too...they look good, and maybe a little pricey. Must be someone up in the Fox Lake area I imagine. I do have a urinal btw, it's a Solo cup.

I stand corrected on the 440. Very cool.

thatsmrmastercraft
10-20-2013, 05:25 PM
440 not even on the option list in 1982. Back in the day yo could pretty much special order anything you wanted. Especially if the boat's lineage is as suspected.

mikeg205
10-20-2013, 05:27 PM

Just hope it's not a Red one... Eric at www.Lauderdalelakes.com can help. The last chance auto repair guys know engines.. Not really much difference in the marine from the insides... much discussion about that here.

I know the folks at Precision - all the good stuff there.. out of my league...

440 - 420HP in a Stars & Strips... remind me to say "ok to slow and go" if I ever get to ski behind your boat... Want to keep my arms connected to my shoulders... 19 feet and 420 HP - thing should leap out of water.. ;)

mikeg205
10-20-2013, 05:28 PM
440 not even on the option list in 1982. Back in the day yo could pretty much special order anything you wanted. Especially if the boat's lineage is as suspected.

"Hello this is Cypress Gardens... yeah Cypress Gardens - here are our specs for the next season... please deliver boats by this date - thank you. " just sayin...

thatsmrmastercraft
10-20-2013, 05:31 PM
"Hello this is Cypress Gardens... yeah Cypress Gardens - here are our specs for the next season... please deliver boats by this date - thank you. " just sayin...

:uglyhamme:uglyhamme:uglyhamme

Sawdust
10-20-2013, 05:33 PM
It's got a gear reduction trans that needs checking out too. I'll give the Last Chance guys a call and see what they have to say.

mikeg205
10-20-2013, 05:35 PM
It's got a gear reduction trans that needs checking out too. I'll give the Last Chance guys a call and see what they have to say.

ooo that is sweet clean... would stick with eric at Lauderdalelakes.com on the tranny work tho'

thatsmrmastercraft
10-20-2013, 05:37 PM
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=102379&stc=1&d=1382304674

That pic shows the size of that engine nicely.

phickman
10-20-2013, 08:52 PM
Cypress Gardens had five of these boats back in the day. I have some literature that shows the boats and the drivers. The Chrysler engine is discussed in the literature. I can say with great conviction you have one of the 5. Would be cool if on the panel behind the rear seat if the black number was visible or at least a remnant. They were numbered 1-5. They color scheme is 100% correct. Nice no wood classic. Good luck.

cbryan70
10-20-2013, 09:04 PM
If your near cabelas in Hoffman they have two mastertechs that have been doing it for a looonnnggg time and have seen it all...may give them a call service managers name is make. 847 645 0443 is his direct line there....I worked there selling boats for three years. Rick is the main tech and has worked on everything small to big diesels and knows his stuff.

Sawdust
10-20-2013, 09:14 PM
Behind the seat?! I didn't know that's where they put the sticker...I've been looking in the wrong place the whole time! And to be honest, I've never taken that seat out until just now. Look what I found...

Sawdust
10-20-2013, 09:18 PM
...I have no doubt someone here knows the name of the driver. He probably deserves some type of honorable mention incorporated into my restoration. I'm about 20 minutes from Hoffman Estates, I'll give Mike a call for sure.

cbryan70
10-20-2013, 09:21 PM
Paul is a wealth of knowledge on these boats to say the least.

cbryan70
10-20-2013, 09:23 PM
Does the boat have any weight on the tongue?

Sawdust
10-20-2013, 09:31 PM
Yes... Paul is a wealth of knowledge which is why I've been stalking him on Facebook for some time now. Tongue weight? I can't even lift the thing.

cbryan70
10-20-2013, 09:34 PM
Mine had about 50 pounds until I moved the boat up when I added the V block.

EricB
10-20-2013, 09:49 PM
Very cool S&S. That boat has some heritage behind it. Keep us filled in as you gather more information on the history!

Traxx822
10-21-2013, 12:55 AM

Check out my buddy Steve at Aquaholics in Antioch. Build motors for all kinds of boats. His own boat has a 700+ hp NA motor.

If you want someone down by Plainfield, I use Dan @ DC Marine Service in Channahon. He has done everything to my boat. Top notch marine mechanic.

PM me if you want contact info. Or Google.

Table Rocker
10-21-2013, 01:14 AM
There was a member called ash_flat_diesel (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/member.php?u=18346) on here that had an '83 with the 440. He hasn't posted in a year though.
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/picture.php?albumid=67&pictureid=385
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/picture.php?albumid=67&pictureid=386 (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=31102)

swatkinz
10-21-2013, 06:46 AM
Curious, how many hours show on the meter? Did CG use boats for just one year? Was CG always loyal to MC or were there other brands there at different times?

Very cool boat and a cool story

Waterskibum
10-21-2013, 10:43 AM
Definitely a cool heritage with this one. Keep us posted on the progress.

strad
10-21-2013, 11:33 AM
Nice, another blue and white. I also have a blue and white, an 84, and mine also started life as a ski show boat, marine world in sf Bay Area. Mine is a 351 with a slot. Look forward to the progress.

DooSPX
10-21-2013, 11:43 AM
Sawdust, certainly looks like you have a Cypress Gardens boat! VERY COOL! I would love to find one to restore! I have a book somewhere of some of the history of the MC/CG boats, but for the life of me I cannot find it.

swatkinz, CG used MasterCraft for the majority of the time, after CG switched owners, they went to Malibu for some time, then to Nautique, Now that Lego Land is in place of CG, they still use Nautique last I was there.

Skir68
10-21-2013, 01:17 PM
VERY cool boat! I hope someone can help you out with more history on this beauty. There must be someone on here that skied there in 82-83 that could help!

Sawdust
10-21-2013, 01:27 PM
The meter shows just over 1100 hours.

TRBenj
10-21-2013, 03:17 PM
Man, I cant see much about this thing that makes it a "project boat". Looks pretty nice to me! A heck of a lot nicer than some of my daily drivers, ha. Very cool boat with a very cool heritage. Big block Mopar, nice!

Personally, I'd put some ATF in the cylinders and let it sit for a few weeks. Then spin it over by hand, nice and easy. Throw a fresh tune up at it, change the fluids... and then get it running. If you can get it on the water and moving under its own power, that will tell you a LOT about what the boat needs. It will tell you what it doesnt need right away as well! There are way too many things that are just unknown regarding the powertrain (from carb to prop) that you just cant verify without putting a load on it. A quick water test will direct your wallet as to what gives you the best bang for your buck.

Sawdust
10-21-2013, 07:59 PM
I hear you...calling this a restoration is probably a bit insulting to all of those here who created real restoration threads. I'll see if I can change it to Refurbishment.

Like the idea of trying to get it running myself, and I still might, but if I do go that route I think I'd probably want to wait until spring. The thought of sucking a bunch of fresh water into it now and winterizing again is the sort of thing that I know will keep me up at night all winter long. I still have visions of a friends of 454 with a hole in the side of the block because he didn't do it right and I've only successfully winterized running engines in the past. My thought is that if I take it to a pro (which I'm not) now I'll possibly have a reliable runner come spring. If I wait until next year to do it myself I'm going to have to deal with breakdowns, troubleshooting etc...not fun with a disappointed wife and kids along for the ride. Previous owner thought it might need some valve work anyway. Leaning towards the pro option.

Here’s a few pics of stuff I need to "refurbish". Don't know how to comment on pics but they're pretty self explanatory.

Sawdust
10-21-2013, 08:11 PM
Much of the seat plywood is dryrotted...so I'll have to replace. Skins aren't too bad except for a few poped seams and a lot of discoloration. If there's a way to make them white again, or at least close, I'll probably reuse them. A little concerned about removing the rusty steel prop nut...stripped my driveshaft threads doing that once. Also going to need to learn how to gelcoat, especially over the sparkle. Sure there's plenty of threads here on that.

Sawdust
10-21-2013, 08:52 PM
Here's a pic of ash flat diesel's boat. Anybody know what the metal strip is for in the middle of the windshield? Mine has four screws in the frame so it must have been the same way. Don't know why I'd put it back unless it serves some purpose, or to keep it authentic.

strad
10-22-2013, 01:40 PM
Must be obscure. I've seen a bunch of s and s boats going back many years, and that is the first time I've seen that. Mine never had it.

thatsmrmastercraft
10-22-2013, 01:42 PM
Never seen that before either. Could be the folks at CG were a little hard on their equipment and needed some support.

Table Rocker
10-22-2013, 01:50 PM
Here's a pic of ash flat diesel's boat. Anybody know what the metal strip is for in the middle of the windshield? Mine has four screws in the frame so it must have been the same way. Don't know why I'd put it back unless it serves some purpose, or to keep it authentic.It doesn't look like there is a strip in this pic from '83. Hey, is that your boat?
http://www.yesterland.com/cypressgardens.html

Table Rocker
10-22-2013, 01:53 PM
It looks like there is a bar on the boat in this pic:
http://www.floridamemory.com/fpc/commerce/com01760.jpg
http://www.floridamemory.com/items/show/92587

Sawdust
10-22-2013, 09:22 PM
Nice pictures TR, and even better links! Literally thousands of awesome old pics of CG. Here's one I found...no metal strips on windshields. Must have been prior to some sort of window related incident. Not sure that mine is one of these...the pylons and mirrors look like aluminum...maybe, and thinking those might be small blocks, hard to tell? Also no sign of a MC logo on the inside back of mine. Are these '83's?

tph
10-22-2013, 10:48 PM
Nice pictures TR, and even better links! Literally thousands of awesome old pics of CG. Here's one I found...no metal strips on windshields. Must have been prior to some sort of window related incident. Not sure that mine is one of these...the pylons and mirrors look like aluminum...maybe, and thinking those might be small blocks, hard to tell? Also no sign of a MC logo on the inside back of mine. Are these '83's?

Some of those boats have the "fold down" observers mirror that was only offered in '82.
I would guess that they are all '82's.

EricB
10-22-2013, 10:49 PM
Best guess is the ones with wood framed mirrors are 82's, and the ones with aluminum/chrome could be 83's. All have show pylons in them so you can't tell by that. The only real way would be HIN's.

tph
10-22-2013, 10:57 PM
Best guess is the ones with wood framed mirrors are 82's, and the ones with aluminum/chrome could be 83's. All have show pylons in them so you can't tell by that. The only real way would be HIN's.

Late '83's (like sawdust's boat) have black plastic mirrors and black powder coated pylons as well.

mikeg205
10-22-2013, 11:37 PM
such a cool thread.

mikeg205
10-22-2013, 11:38 PM

you have the pic in a hi res image? I can make you a poster.

SkiDaddy
10-23-2013, 06:21 AM
Didn't they do a trick where the boat would do a tight turn or power slide and a skier would swing around the bow and then towards the stern and keep going? In that scenario, the ski rope needs to pass over the windshield. I wonder if the windshield bar talked about earlier in this thread was to help with that perhaps??

Sawdust
10-23-2013, 05:17 PM
Didn't they do a trick where the boat would do a tight turn or power slide and a skier would swing around the bow and then towards the stern and keep going? In that scenario, the ski rope needs to pass over the windshield. I wonder if the windshield bar talked about earlier in this thread was to help with that perhaps??

You might be right...I think you're talking about the old "crack the whip" move.

Sawdust
10-23-2013, 05:18 PM
you have the pic in a hi res image? I can make you a poster.

Thanks for the offer, I wish I did...it would look great in my garage/man-cave.

sethro
10-23-2013, 09:25 PM
There was a guy by the name of Rick in Michigan that brought a Chrysler 440 powered Stars and Stripes back to life. Quick search didn't bring the thread up. I think his was an 84 if I recall correctly.

strad
10-24-2013, 01:25 PM

Yes and some boats like mine are equipped with a taller pylon to assist in clearing the windshield.

scott023
10-24-2013, 01:35 PM

Cripes, that's huge. :cool:

scott023
10-24-2013, 01:40 PM
Missed this thread. Super cool project, and a boat with a lot of history to boot.

thatsmrmastercraft
10-24-2013, 01:46 PM

Yes and some boats like mine are equipped with a taller pylon to assist in clearing the windshield.

Don't need a tall pylon to do a 360 around the boat, but it keeps the observer from having to assist the rope past the windshield.

Sawdust
10-24-2013, 02:43 PM
Not sure what standard height is but mine stands 36" off the floor...seems tall to me. Also can't figure out why there's six holes drilled through it. One you can't see in this pic, it's down low and looks like it was probably for an old style boom. These five up in the taper though...I don't know but whatever was there did some damage to the engine box.

Sawdust
10-24-2013, 02:43 PM

strad
10-24-2013, 03:48 PM
I asked that question with mine. The consensus was ski show apparatus like a quick release to make it easier to change from one event to another. I will measure my pylon when I get home and post it here. edit: my pylon is 35 1/4" from the floor to the tip of the ball.

strad
10-24-2013, 04:17 PM

Try removing your rear seat. The logo, at least on mine and the ones in the photo, is on the blue gas tank cover. edit: I see an earlier pic you posted of that area with a 2 in the corner . . . I guess yours doesn't have it. Weird. Maybe it was removed later? It's just a sticker like the one on the side of the boat.

03geetee
10-24-2013, 06:37 PM
Sweet project!

JTR

Sawdust
10-26-2013, 12:27 PM
Before I get ahead of myself removing decals and stickers was wondering if anyone knew where I could get my hands on a couple of these babys. Must be the ying-yang symbol I've heard talked about. Sounds like BAWS is a good place to start but haven't seen it specifically mentioned.

strad
10-26-2013, 01:06 PM
Before I get ahead of myself removing decals and stickers was wondering if anyone knew where I could get my hands on a couple of these babys. Must be the ying-yang symbol I've heard talked about. Sounds like BAWS is a good place to start but haven't seen it specifically mentioned.

Yes Jim at BAWS was our guy for stuff like that. I know he sourced decal sets more than once. He died suddenly last month. I know most dealers blow us older-boat owners off but he never did. At any rate you could call them and see if they still will help out that way.

Sawdust
10-26-2013, 01:55 PM
Thanks strad...I have a message in to BAWS now, waiting for a reply. I'd spoken to Jim in years past about a bunch of stuff, was just looking over the messages today. It's true what people say about him, he had nothing to gain by offering advice to a newb like me...but he really bent over backwards to help me out. Seems he had a real passion for everything MC, and for people in general. Wish I could have known him better, but his legacy is here all over this board...and that's pretty damn cool.

Cloaked
10-26-2013, 04:41 PM
Not discrediting the theory on the release but it looks like a trick release, not related to show skiing.

The 83 and near-year models touted a 3-event, 'variable planing hull' as a baseline functional feature, trick skiing being one of the three events.

The Ying-Yang can be found on flea-bay.

alfie623
10-26-2013, 06:54 PM
Yes Jim at BAWS was our guy for stuff like that. I know he sourced decal sets more than once. He died suddenly last month. I know most dealers blow us older-boat owners off but he never did. At any rate you could call them and see if they still will help out that way.

Dave helped me out at BAWS after Jim passed. They still can help out without any problems.

Sawdust
10-26-2013, 09:13 PM
Found the decal on ebay, thanks...looks like it has a white background instead of silver/foil like the original but it'll do if BAWS doesn't have something better.

Here's a trick release promo ad that came with the boat.

DooSPX
10-27-2013, 10:31 AM
Here is a thread from Dave from BAWS.
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=57828
It has contact info for Dave directly or you can call the number in my sig.

mikeg205
10-27-2013, 12:13 PM
Also Dave Nanney on FB has made a bunch of them...

Skir68
11-24-2013, 10:51 AM

Here is a pic of the foil ones on our boat. I tried to take it from an angle so you could see the foil.

Sawdust
11-24-2013, 08:09 PM

Here is a pic of the foil ones on our boat. I tried to take it from an angle so you could see the foil.

That is a thing of beauty...especially with the red flake!

Sawdust
11-24-2013, 08:10 PM
Also Dave Nanney on FB has made a bunch of them...

Dave an I have been talking...thanks for the hook-up! BAWS Too!

toobusylivin
11-25-2013, 08:36 AM
Sawdust, I have a similar boat to yours. Had a lot of fun restoring her a couple years ago. (check my posts) You are gonna love that boat! I'm only a couple hours away, feel free to come check mine out anytime.

Skir68
11-26-2013, 09:23 PM
That is a thing of beauty...especially with the red flake!

Thanks Sawdust! She is our baby for sure!;)

captainskidmark
01-02-2014, 01:12 PM
Not sure if you had the engine looked at...but there is a place in Streamwood, IL that specializes in Mopars....OPEL.... my buddy (Glen) has been building engines for 20+ years and has worked there for 10+ years and is a wizard with that stuff...

Sawdust
07-29-2014, 10:16 PM
Well...finally have been able to start doing a little work on this thing...long story. Tanks out...will need to boiled after sitting for 15 years, new fuel lines. Fiberglass platform is off, it's pretty trashed. Not sure it's worth the trouble to repair as I'm not a big fan of the lag bolt design. Would like to go with teak...we'll see if it's in the budget. Figure I'm looking at abour $750 with a new deck and brackets when it's all said and done. Exhaust is out... will need some repair, new hoses, the old ones were pretty crispy and it would have sank eventually. Love those crome tips...another $250ish, again we'll see. Lot's and lots of gel coat repair and buffing to be done as you can see. New rub rail, upholstery, guages, wiring, windshield, trailer work... you know the story. Was happy to find this bad and pretty new looking steering cable/mech. Thinking it's probably not stock. All exciting stuff...need a second job, a cot in the garage and a good divorce attorney and I'll be good to go.

mikeg205
07-29-2014, 10:35 PM
nice progress - the mistress is causing problems eh ;) ?

thatsmrmastercraft
07-30-2014, 12:17 AM
nice progress - the mistress is causing problems eh ;) ?

It's been known to happen. :rolleyes:

damaged442
07-30-2014, 07:25 AM
This thread is full of awesome! Very cool boat with a great history! Good to see her getting some love!

cruiser
07-30-2014, 08:14 AM
Looks like your gonna make her better than new. Great work.

Sawdust
08-02-2014, 12:49 PM
... great company while getting a little work done!

Sawdust
08-03-2014, 05:26 PM
Question... if I pull the trailer out from under the boat and have if supported less evenly, would it be a bad idea to completely remove the rub rail? It needs to be replaced and I'd prefer to get the area underneath cleaned up while I'm doing gel repairs and sanding/buffing. My concern is that if I drill out all the rivets there might be some shifting between the top and bottom. I am going to pull the engine. Maybe doing that first would alleviate some of the pressure on the hull?

steepndeep
08-04-2014, 11:04 PM
Awesome boat! Good luck with everything. Wish I had more knowledge to lend you. Im new to this stuff too, love the mopar, never seen that in one of these yet!

Sawdust
08-10-2014, 09:58 AM
Here's some photos for you guys...

Sawdust
08-10-2014, 10:10 AM
Not sure how to comment on individual photos so I'll do it here...
- Got the coupling apart, off by 7/16 of an inch! I knew something didn't look right. Strut looks okay, have to think the shaft was either installed improperly or the engine mount adjustments shifted. I can tell this boat has been wrenched on before.
- The only major crack in the boat, behind the spotter's seat...it goes all the way through. Will grind it out and back it up with a few layers of glass inside and out, then gel
- Front light screw holes stripped out. Again back it up with glass, fill with epoxy and gel. Not sure what is the best epoxy to use...and suggestions greatly appreciated.
- Then there's the back corners in the sparkle... this part of my resto makes me nervous. Could really use some help from you guys as I really don't have a clue how to go about fixing this without redoing the entire stripe. There has to be an easier way!

Sawdust
08-10-2014, 10:13 AM
... and a few more

mikeg205
08-10-2014, 10:17 AM
Progress, I bet the motors shifted on the alignment.. on the gel goat - I would wet sand, polish and call it done.. you'll never get it to match up with new gel. Only alternatives are respray gel ($$$$$) or do a vinyl wrap. But non of the vinyls I have seen will sparkle that nicely.. IMO

Sawdust
08-10-2014, 10:23 AM
Comments...
- Gel damage at strut. Could be an indication that the strut was hit. There are no marks on it indicating it hit something, and it's difficult to tell if it's bent while still attached, but it could explain my 7/16" misalignment at the coupling.
- Tried a little vinegar/salt concoction on my tracking fins. Did a good job of removing the first layer of 30 years worth of patina. Will buff next and then apply ProtectaClear from Everbrite in the hopes it will stay shiny for a while.
- Converting my grinder to a polisher. Ordered some arbor extensions from Southwest Metal Finishing Supply Company... just waiting for UPS to come a knockin'
- A spare driveshaft came with the boat, unfortunately it's not threaded on both ends like my existing. Too bad... it's brand new, never used. Measures 1 1/8" by 38 3/4". Looks like it's for sale!

mikeg205
08-10-2014, 10:28 AM
I don't think the cracked gel coat at strut indicates a strike that would send the front of shaft up. That cracking at the back would bring it down. Does the trans coupling and shaft couple change as you spin the shaft?

Sawdust
08-10-2014, 10:28 AM
On second thought I think I'll keep the spare shaft...could take it to a machinist if/when I need it.

Sawdust
08-10-2014, 10:29 AM
It does not mike...shaft appears to be straight as an arrow.

mikeg205
08-10-2014, 10:32 AM

good news -

Grover777
08-24-2014, 10:21 PM
Great thread. Can't wait for updates!

CruisinGA
08-24-2014, 10:48 PM

Needs to be checked with a dial indicator. Just a few thousandths of an inch out of round is too much.