PDA

View Full Version : Surfboard Recommendations

houtexX30
10-17-2013, 09:26 AM
Hello all. I'll start off by saying that we do not surf. My buddy has tried it a few times and really wants to get a board and get into it. My question is, what is a decent board for a relative beginner? We are both around 210-220lbs and have been skiing/wakeboarding for forever. There are so many choices out there I'm hoping someone with more experience can guide me in the right direction without breaking my wallet for our first board purchase. Any help would be appreciated!!

I realize this is in the wrong section but figured I would get more visibility here.

mccobmd
10-17-2013, 09:45 AM
I am 6'4", 195lbs and surf behind and X1 that is a relatively small wave compared to some of the monsters. You will need a board on the bigger side. I surfed the hyperlite broadcast and Inland surfer Red Woody (now the red rocket). I thought the Inland surfer was much better, more durable than fiberglass boards and reasonable price. I don't do spins or tricks and don't want to, works great for us.

BrooksfamX2
10-17-2013, 09:56 AM
CWB Ride is a good beginner+ board. Our riders range from 140lbs-270lbs on this board.

bturner2
10-17-2013, 10:23 AM
X2 on both the Woody and the Broadcast. The Broadcast will be cheaper and most durable. Not a bad place to start.

ttu
10-17-2013, 10:40 AM
might also look at the is bluelake. might be able to pick up a used one out there.

bhanson
10-17-2013, 11:51 AM
You want a board between about 5' to 5'6". Our beginner board was a 5'6" Broadcast and it was excellent; easy to get up, easy to learn wireless, indestructable, find them used pretty inexpensive great beginner board for all ages and sizes. Once you progress, you can stepup to a shorter, higher-performance production board, then finally stepup to a custom board like Soulcraft that will be built specifically for you.

wallnut21
10-17-2013, 12:00 PM
IMO... spend the extra money for a good board (inland surfer, Phase five, etc...). They are so much easier to learn and progress on.

Traxx822
10-17-2013, 03:37 PM
The many times ive commented on boards. OP, please search for surfboard threads and read.

And if you plan on just surfing once and a while get a CWB. If

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

mccobmd
10-17-2013, 03:37 PM
IMO... spend the extra money for a good board (inland surfer, Phase five, etc...). They are so much easier to learn and progress on.

I would whole heartedly agree. That's why I went with the Inland surfer instead of the Broadcast. It was 150 dollars more but well worth it. That blue lake is a good idea, get one used.

Aric'sX15
10-17-2013, 04:19 PM
Are all these custom boards foam surf style?

wallnut21
10-17-2013, 05:39 PM
Inland Surfer has both Surf and Skim. I think Phase Five is only Skim. I have a Blue Lake Inland Surfer and a Carbon Drew Phase Five. Both excellent boards for two different types of surfing.

scott023
10-17-2013, 05:47 PM
Are all these custom boards foam surf style?

I think the vast majority of them are.

Specter
10-17-2013, 06:11 PM
As others have stated search is your best friend on this topic.

But since I just gave this same advice to someone today I'll bite:

Beginner: Liquid Force Fish 5'0" or 5'3"

Intermediate/Advanced: Liquid Force TC Custom 56"

tcmercil
10-18-2013, 11:49 AM
Well - everyone is really quick to say Surf/Skim.... however I think some of the best boards that are easy to ride are the Liquid Force Custom line... which in my opinion are a bit of a cross-over board..... The TC Custom is great..... we have the 4'2" the 4'10" and the TC model as well.... so have 3 of them that my wife and I ride.

They're faster than a surf, slower than a skim... more stable than a skim, less stable as a surf.... IMO... and learning 3's aren't a problem on any of them. My wife and I are both throwing 3's on them.

atthelake
10-18-2013, 04:38 PM
There is another company (probably been around forever) called Victoria Skimboards that came into a local store this year. I'm 210lbs and surfing behind a Xstar and was actually able to surf this summer with not much problem at all (still too much L.O.F.T. lack of f***ing talent) but seemed good to me. Price was right, under $500.00 in the Great White North, which is pretty good for up here.

http://wakestore.victoriaskimboards.com

uplander
10-18-2013, 05:23 PM
I started this year and bought the Hyperlite Broadcast and did not like it. Then I posted on this forum and got some great help and called Inland Surfer and bought the Tako board which is entry level for them. I returned the Hyperlite and bought the Inland Surfer and never looked back. If you start with a better board I think you will be more satisfied. The Tako was about the same price as the Hyperlite but much easier to ride and has more control. If you are serious about surfing spend some time and buy a better board.

KahunaCraft
10-18-2013, 06:58 PM
The CWB ride will work, but for heavier beginners the Inland BlueLake or Red Rocket will lengthen the pocket by a foot or two, be more stable and a used one would be a good route.

Aric'sX15
10-19-2013, 01:14 PM
I have a liquid force custom 4'10" and id rather ride a dining room table. My phase 5 prop is my favorite board ive ever ridden hands down. But it's not begginer by any means.