PDA

View Full Version : The things you see on the water....

Burdhntr
10-17-2013, 08:36 AM
Was surprised last night in betweem barefoot sessions to see this 6 pt swimming across the lake. Glad we didn't hit it.

Burdhntr
10-17-2013, 08:38 AM
Dang it.

sppeders
10-17-2013, 09:27 AM
the things I've seen are:

I almost hit a deer once (on the water)
Up on Lake of the Woods, i saw 3 deer swimming 3 miles between islands.
up on LOTW, i saw a bear with her cubs on her head swimming between two islands.

The craziest thing I've seen was... We were pulling into a bay we fish quite often, it looked like a boat was beached as we pulled in with dogs running up and down the beach. As we got closer we realized it wasn't a boat, but a moose standing off shore and wolves running up and down the beach.... Well sooner than later that moose got ornery, charged out of the water and at the wolves... They dispersed and the moose disappeared into the woods.. That was pretty awesome.

Burdhntr
10-17-2013, 09:34 AM
Not a moose, but a respectable young 6 pt

jgraham37128
10-17-2013, 09:37 AM
My first Eagle encounter was on the lake. i seen a large bird headed towards me while I was running around 30mph headed to a friends house. As he got close he made a turn towards me and then all the way around and was now headed in the same direction as I was. At this time I realize it's an eagle because I could see his white head and the white on his back feathers. He's still about 75 yards away and I'm thinking wow that's awesome. It keeps flying and is about 30 yards in front of me. He keeps getting lower and closer to the boat (still doing 30mph) he gets about 20ft in front of me and sweeps down and slaps the water with his feet bringing up a 3-4lb fish. The fish is flapping around and now I'm maybe 10ft as he's lifting back off. My wife and I looked at each other and knew we had witnessed something special. It was like watching a National Geographic show in real life, as it happened. What I would have given to had someone filming us and the eagle all at the same time. It was priceless!

neil.anderson63
10-17-2013, 11:48 AM
Flaming Gorge - We've seen Bald Eagles pull trout out of the water. Very cool!!!

JohnnyB
10-17-2013, 12:00 PM
Closing the season last year we did a 6 mile bridge to dam to bridge BF race....about a quarter mile from the finish the boat next to us had to evade a swimming deer...it actually swam a small circle after the boat dodged it, swam another after the footer passed and then continued across the river

Also had a deer go through the ice a couple of years back and had an eagle sitting on the ice a few feet away waiting for it to finish drowning/waiting for lunch

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

Waterskibum
10-17-2013, 12:14 PM
Dang I am jealous! All we ever see are snakes and alligators. I honestly did not know deer could swim that far :)

Bouyhead
10-17-2013, 10:00 PM
Coney Island Whitefish.

swatguy
10-18-2013, 12:28 AM
I been hit by the Asain Flying carp on a couple occasions. It was crazy.

mikeg205
10-18-2013, 12:32 AM
I been hit by the Asain Flying carp on a couple occasions. It was crazy.

where have you been skiin' swat... on the Illinois below Starved Rock?

rgardjr1
10-18-2013, 02:37 AM
Lots of eagles and plenty of moose around my lake ...

swatguy
10-18-2013, 10:25 AM
where have you been skiin' swat... on the Illinois below Starved Rock?

Yup. Was more down/up the river by Ottawa and the Busted Prop area. Like 3-4 years ago they came flying up during the Double Up contest I was riding in. I took a nice gash in my shin. Was the craziest thing I have ever experienced.

Another time just a little ways to the east of that point under the huge suspension bridge. Caught a patch while riding. Never caught anything down by Morris though in a the years and hours I used to spend over there. Just up over by the Ottawa area

mikeg205
10-18-2013, 11:04 AM
Yup - below ottawa and below - even worse near henry peoria... doubles up only safe in very deep water... if the water gets really warm they are every where...

Nature likes to cut you... I have never seen any carp above marseilles dam.. Ouch...

scott023
10-18-2013, 12:24 PM
We once spotted Ogopogo on Okanogan Lake. :D

AlbertaSurfer
10-18-2013, 01:07 PM
We once spotted Ogopogo on Okanogan Lake. :D

After how many coldies?

scott023
10-18-2013, 01:28 PM
After how many coldies?

Lol. None, I don't partake on the boat. The kids claimed they saw him. I missed out. 8p

atihanyi
10-20-2013, 09:28 PM
coolest thing I ever saw was duck hunting a few years ago . shot our last duck of the day and before the dogs could get to it had a bald eagle swoop down and snatch it out of our decoys . got to watch it sit in a tree and proceed to shred the duck