PDA

View Full Version : Gelcoat Blisters - now what

19_Skier
10-16-2013, 03:03 PM
Well this is certainly not how I planned to end the boating season. Took the boat out on Saturday to winterize then while cleaning the hull noticed what appear to be blisters in the gelcoat. They are sporadic across the entire hull under the water line predominantly on driver side, but I also noticed some on the passenger side. On top of that, the prop was sent in to get refurbished and I noticed the prop shaft is in need of an alignment.

Anyone had to deal with gelcoat blisters? Any ideas on costs to get this fixed? I sent these photos in to a couple of repair shops now just waiting to hear back.

ttu
10-16-2013, 03:19 PM
i had them on my old 2005 supra ssv22. the dealer and skier's choice accused me of leaving the boat in the water for long periods of time. i told them it was always trailered and only left in the water for 3 nights while on vacation at table rock. also they blisters were exactly where the trailer bunks were. well since the boat was less than a year old they "skier's choice" repaired the blisters along with gel coat cracks on the deck from the tower.

well the following summer all the blisters came back. this time skier's choice wanted to send the boat back to the factory and break it apart and put a new hull on it. i refused to do that and had them repair the blisters again and sold the boat.

JohnE
10-16-2013, 04:21 PM
That's a tough one. How long do you leave it in the water? I'd find a way to keep it out of the water and just leave them alone. It doesn't look like the damage there will affect the boat much as long as you don't leave it in the water. Or even better have them repaired. Even if you have them repaired you can't risk leaving it in the water for extended time. Your other choice is a bottom paint and then you can leave it in. But that will de-value the boat I believe.

19_Skier
10-16-2013, 07:01 PM
That's a tough one. How long do you leave it in the water? I'd find a way to keep it out of the water and just leave them alone. It doesn't look like the damage there will affect the boat much as long as you don't leave it in the water. Or even better have them repaired. Even if you have them repaired you can't risk leaving it in the water for extended time. Your other choice is a bottom paint and then you can leave it in. But that will de-value the boat I believe.

leaving the boat in the water for the summer is very, very common here so I really never thought anything of it. Perhaps a lot just live with blisters or it just isn't that common, I am not sure. I am going to wait until I see what the quotes are before I decide, on one hand I am trying to tell myself just to live with it but on the other it is already stressing me out and I'm not sure I could put my boat back in the lake next year knowing the blisters are there.

ricford
10-16-2013, 07:15 PM
Mine sits in the water all summer, and I've never had a blister in the 3 years I've owned it.

snork
10-16-2013, 08:31 PM
2001 had a know defect in the gel, should be covered under the life time warranty

19_Skier
10-16-2013, 08:43 PM
2001 had a know defect in the gel, should be covered under the life time warranty

seriously? everything I have found said mastercraft does not warranty blistering of the gelcoat.

mikeg205
10-16-2013, 09:18 PM
sad irony - can't leave a boat in water... :confused:

88 PS190
10-16-2013, 09:28 PM
There is a whole sheet in my 88's manual in regards to gel coat blistering and MC's recommendation to have the boat bottom painted if it was gonna sit in the water.

uplander
10-16-2013, 10:00 PM
I would get them fixed, find a local fiberglass shop and get opinions also. They are not a good thing to have

agua4fun
10-16-2013, 11:14 PM
Ive been dealing with the same issue for 7 years. If your issue is the same as mine (and it looks the same to me) they will get worse every year. I now have blisters covering the entire bottom of my boat.
If i could do it over again id have it barrier coated (interlux 2000) and bottom painted. Sure it would hurt the resale, but im guessing it'll be hard to sell the boat at all with my extensive blistering.
Or, just get a lift or trailer. Too much current and level change for my location. The hydro hoist lift guys said no way to my application.
All this being said, i havs done much research, and this 'acne blistering' is cosmetic as far as most of the boating community is concerned. Most of the information you will find on the net is related to MUCH larger blisters, like 2" and ofter 6" in size, obviously that is a serious problem. Alot of people are misinformed because of this.
Now for skiing, the acne blistering we have could perhaps affect the wake, weight, top end etc.... but in such small numbers, i cant imagine it will affect anyone who will ever ski behind my boat. If wade cox is your skiing partner, send em over to see if he can tell the diff ;)
My ride is an 01 prostar, ive tried numerous times to get MC to help on the warranty, but no go. If you have better luck, PLEASE let me know! I have gotten two quotes, MC directed me to Rambo Marine in the south. I sent pictures (its a 20 hour drive) and was budgeted 8000. No local dealers here would take it on, but i found a yacht repair place that gave me a 6500 estimate. Keep in mind this was for an entire bottom peel, re-gel, barrier coat, and bottom paint. Boat was only 4 years old at that time.

Feel free to pm me if youd like,
Dave

Cloaked
10-16-2013, 11:21 PM
Ive been dealing with the same issue for 7 years. If your issue is the same as mine (and it looks the same to me) they will get worse every year. I now have blisters covering the entire bottom of my boat.
If i could do it over again id have it barrier coated (interlux 2000) and bottom painted. Sure it would hurt the resale, but im guessing it'll be hard to sell the boat at all with my extensive blistering.
Or, just get a lift or trailer. Too much current and level change for my location. The hydro hoist lift guys said no way to my application.
All this being said, i havs done much research, and this 'acne blistering' is cosmetic as far as most of the boating community is concerned. Most of the information you will find on the net is related to MUCH larger blisters, like 2" and ofter 6" in size, obviously that is a serious problem. Alot of people are misinformed because of this.
Now for skiing, the acne blistering we have could perhaps affect the wake, weight, top end etc.... but in such small numbers, i cant imagine it will affect anyone who will ever ski behind my boat. If wade cox is your skiing partner, send em over to see if he can tell the diff ;)
My ride is an 01 prostar, ive tried numerous times to get MC to help on the warranty, but no go. If you have better luck, PLEASE let me know! I have gotten two quotes, MC directed me to Rambo Marine in the south. I sent pictures (its a 20 hour drive) and was budgeted 8000. No local dealers here would take it on, but i found a yacht repair place that gave me a 6500 estimate. Keep in mind this was for an entire bottom peel, re-gel, barrier coat, and bottom paint. Boat was only 4 years old at that time.

Feel free to pm me if youd like,
DaveA guy here in TN does good restoration glass work. For example, I recently saw a boat on his yard that he was stripping the gel and re-spraying an entire new color scheme.

I'd say he would rework the bottom of your hull.

CC2MC
10-17-2013, 01:20 AM
My boss has a 32' Bayliner that he leaves in the water all the time and he had blisters and got them all sanded out. He had to let the hull dry out for a couple months or so before sealing and applying bottom paint. A shop in Nashville did the work but I have no idea what they charged him.

mikeg205
10-17-2013, 08:19 AM
My boss has a 32' Bayliner that he leaves in the water all the time and he had blisters and got them all sanded out. He had to let the hull dry out for a couple months or so before sealing and applying bottom paint. A shop in Nashville did the work but I have no idea what they charged him.

Do Searays have this problem? :D:D:D:D:D

19_Skier
10-17-2013, 08:47 AM

Those high quality boats...I doubt it ;):D

I had one place get back to me who would sand, epoxy fill the blister then interlux 2000 epoxy barrier and epoxy paint the bottom for just shy of $3,500. Guy told me he has seen this kind of blistering a lot especially over the last decade. I have also reached out to Mastercraft so will wait and see what comes of that.

I cringe to think what it will cost to have it re-gel :(

CC2MC
10-17-2013, 10:24 AM

Funny you ask. I believe SR offers a lifetime gel coat warranty but I am not sure what all is covered in that warranty. They were about the only boat company that I know of that has any warranty like that. Sea Ray is owned by Brunswick and after the economy crashed things really changed for that company including Sea Ray. Their quality is pretty good although not that impressive compared with other brands.

JohnE
10-17-2013, 11:39 AM
A lot of info in this thread. The topic has come up many times in the past. http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=20133

19_Skier
10-17-2013, 07:40 PM
A lot of info in this thread. The topic has come up many times in the past. http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=20133

Thanks John, interesting that all of these boats are 2001's....

I haven't been able to talk to anyone about cost for doing gelcoat but had a good conversation with a fibreglass repair guy today about benefits of the bottom paint, even sent me some pictures of before and after where is was really difficult to determine the line between gel and paint.

When I decide on what to do I will try and document it as much as possible here for the next guy! I am really torn between painting, selling as is and leaving it but limited water exposure. Painting seems like the best option at the moment since I want to keep my boat for quite a while, I'm not overly convinced it will kill the resale value up here as I saw a 2001 prostar with black paint on bottom of white hull that sold for over 18K.

88 PS190
10-17-2013, 10:59 PM
19 skier - bottom paint has a bad rep mostly due to that blue grey junk they spray on boats that sit and get barnacles and algae growth.

Nothing saying it cannot be done in an attractive manner.