PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on New Appliances in New house

georgea0731
10-13-2013, 01:13 PM
Some of you know that were building our retirement home on the lake (photo for proof). Builder has us working with Cohens in Montgomery, AL. Two Microwaves, Dishwasher, slide in range elec. with oven, refrig., hood, fan, etc. $5668 for Kitchenaid.
We take any advice on brands, models, BEST values.
We're 8 weeks into it.

mikeg205
10-13-2013, 01:30 PM
Very nice - :)

why skimp - go sub zero and wolf ;)

madcityskier
10-13-2013, 01:33 PM
We've loved our kitchen aid appliances. The maxima line of washer/ dryer is the commercial line from maytag and have also been great.

snork
10-13-2013, 01:34 PM
Nice, need more pics
can't go wrong with Kitchenaid by Whirlpool
Whirlpool appliances models are yesterdays Kitchenaid models without the extra warranty
Stay away from anything GE

snork
10-13-2013, 01:36 PM
if you do get subzero or wolf purchase the extended + extended warranty

jafo9
10-13-2013, 02:25 PM
can't give any advice on buying appliances. i just fix mine when they break. nice digs though. keep us up to date with pics.

dt37803
10-13-2013, 04:38 PM
I run a service co in Tennessee and do warranty work for Whirlpool Kitchen Aid Frigidaire and others. You cant go wrong with the Kitchen Aid line, very few service related issues.:)

Thrall
10-13-2013, 05:58 PM
Having owned many new to relatively new homes over the last 20 years and 3 currently I've found that most all appliances are disposable or need repairs inside of 10 years. Even top of the line Kitchenaid by Sub Zero.
No experience with the real high end equipment though. IMO find the best price on whatever appliances you need and realize the savings up front. And don't pay extra for "designer" features. No one needs 10 modes for the dishwasher or 20 different types of washes for a washing machine.

Fast50dad
10-13-2013, 06:07 PM
When we built 3 years ago, we did the upper mid level dishwasher from KitchenAid. Functions great, but the noise drives me nuts. We do use the 4 hour delay so it starts after we're asleep. We have an open kitchen, dining room, living room floor plan so maybe I'm being too critical with the noise. If I do it over again, I'd upgrade to a quieter model.

Great looking home!

D3skier
10-13-2013, 06:48 PM
we just bought a Samsung fridge and love it... lots of room with bottom freezer

fstaslp
10-13-2013, 06:51 PM
We bought a house and it currently spec'd with GE. We are working on a deal to switch it out after closing for a credit at closing.

H2ORidr
10-13-2013, 07:16 PM
I gotta ask why two microwaves?

I will admit that we have two dishwashers (Miele) and I cannot image life without two dishwashers. One in the island and one in the side counter. Have a big bunch of people over for a party and need to clean up, they all go in and in a short order they are done! The Miele dishwashers have a solenoid in the supply line so that if the DW is not pulling power they water is cut off. There also is a tray built into the bottom of the DW and if water gets on it the DW shuts off. Our's triggered once and it worked flawlessly. They guarantee no leaks.

We love our counter depth SubZero freezer. Wolf and SubZeros are made in the USA and they make a big point to use a lot of US sourced materials and components. We had stainless steel appliances for 3 years and hated the chore of keeping the clean (I live with a neat freak or two) and so we went with wood panels when I remodeled our kitchen. We also have Miele double ovens and love them. If you can't cook in Miele double ovens you need to hang it up. LOL

georgea0731
10-13-2013, 07:24 PM
The wife said its her only requirement, so we don't get in each others way on a fast dinner night (ha). She wants 2 upstairs (still trying to talk her out of it) and there will be one downstairs in the kitchenette/in law/guest suite.

madcityskier
10-13-2013, 08:08 PM
Try cleaning the stainless with baby oil. Works much better than the stuff they market for it.

snork
10-13-2013, 09:35 PM
The handle is where you put your hands not on the SS panels
My SS appliances started clean and stays clean

Jerseydave
10-13-2013, 10:19 PM

You obviously don't have a 10 year old daughter :D

H2ORidr
10-13-2013, 11:15 PM

As I said I live with a clean freak. It is not the first trip to the fridge that gets the smutz on it. It is the second trip to grab the mayo you forgot, only now your hands are wet from the lettuce and a few drips get onto the steel and that is when the OCD of my spouse kicks in.

We won't talk about my 10 year old and the trail of toxic mess she leaves behind. We tell her under no uncertain terms is she to try a life of crime because she will not last 2 seconds because of the trail of mess and finger prints she leaves everywhere.

CC2MC
10-13-2013, 11:31 PM
Nice house. What part of Martin is that on?

Retoxtony
10-14-2013, 03:14 AM
I would recommend staying away from Electrolux. I had a nasty experience with their warranty dept that i wouldnt wish on anyone. Bought a $2000 stove/range and right out of the box one burner wouldnt work. Took 8 months of phone calls till they would repair it. I even offered to return the stove to the store on my time and dime to speed things along and they refused. No idea why but they insisted that it had to be repaired in my home. In the end they did fix it and we're pretty happy with it now but i'm definitely soured to the brand.

We do love our LG fridge though.

bigmac
10-14-2013, 05:19 AM
Kitchen appliances are a part of resale value. Someday you'll be selling that beautiful retirement home. The appliances you install now are likely to still be there when it's time to sell. IMHO, you should start out with high quality stuff. It will more than pay for itself eventually.

JohnnyB
10-14-2013, 05:57 AM
Watch sears...can usually get 30% off for all on large purchase, incl already on sale items. Was cheapest for us when we built and got all Kenmore Elite. We went and picked all of it out and they told us when the next 30% sale was to come and complete the purchase

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

KahunaCraft
10-14-2013, 06:18 AM
A house like that (nice), Why not have kitchens on each level?

A few ideas...

- look at buying one of the fridges above, but also add fridge drawers in the cabinets.

http://m.subzero-wolf.com/counter-refrigerator/700BR-refrigerator-drawers

- dishwasher drawers, or if you go traditional with a single drop down door, then mount it up off the floor, up a pot drawer under it. Same reason washer and dryers are now a foot or so off the floor, it's easier on your back.

http://www.thekitchn.com/all-about-drawer-dishwashers-dishwasher-spotlight-178427

- if you have central vac, add one of these...

http://builtinvacuum.com/vacpan.html

Finally, I'd put some thought into coffee makers and being able to auto feed, like an ice maker, with water. If you like tea, those side sink steamers seem to be accident prone, I wouldn't add one. Kids try to wash their hands with them.

madcityskier
10-14-2013, 06:33 AM
I would recommend staying away from Electrolux. I had a nasty experience with their warranty dept that i wouldnt wish on anyone. Bought a $2000 stove/range and right out of the box one burner wouldnt work. Took 8 months of phone calls till they would repair it. I even offered to return the stove to the store on my time and dime to speed things along and they refused. No idea why but they insisted that it had to be repaired in my home. In the end they did fix it and we're pretty happy with it now but i'm definitely soured to the brand.

We do love our LG fridge though.

Our first fridge was LG. Took 3 tries to deliver a working one. That one was nice enough for the five years it lasted. Wouldn't go there again.

jkski
10-14-2013, 08:17 AM
Having just been thru this I can tell you what I did that worked for us.
I had my wife go out and find the appliances she liked/wanted and we looked at the ratings via Consumer Reports to see how they faired. Once she selected the specific models, I simply spent a rainy afternoon watching a football game and surfing the net for the best price available by googling each serial number. I had a pad of paper and just wrote down the top 2 prices I found, regardless of where they were but trying to stick with a name location. In many cases the prices I found thru Sears at the time were the best because they were running a big sale that happened to end at midnight that night. So, after I compiled my info I walked into Lowes, talked to the sales rep, gave him my price sheet and said can you beat these and if so I will buy them today. After he came back with his prices, having beat each one of the lowest I found, I then asked how much lower it would go if I bought a second set of appliances for the house we were moving out of (had to replace them anyways to make the home more appealing for sale), and naturally the price came down a bit farther.

So, even without buying the second set of appliances I was very happy with the prices Lowes put together and they stored them until I was ready for delivery.
Our appliances are:
Wall oven: GE (electric) (could not justify the upcharge for the gas version)
Range: 6 burner GE convection (gas)
Microwave: Samsung
Fridge: Samsung

Hope this helps and good luck.

Ben
10-14-2013, 08:53 AM
If you go electric smooth cooktop, don't get white. Gets dirty fast and hard to clean. We are learning that one now.

georgea0731
10-14-2013, 09:10 AM
go through the narrows, around all the islands to the main opening and turn 45 degrees left go around the single island, its on the left about 6 houses up. Its beside the dock that has the 10 foot light house.

Kimper
10-14-2013, 10:30 AM
Cooking things - wolf/Viking -gas
Fridge - Thermadore/ subzero
Dishwasher - Bosch/kitchenaid

Don't build a nice home like that then cheap out on the appliances.

JMLVMI
10-14-2013, 11:09 AM
If you and your wife haven't discovered Houzz yet (http://houzz.com/), it's worth a look, especially for ideas on high-end houses.

Ski-me
10-14-2013, 11:14 AM
I gotta ask why two microwaves?

I will admit that we have two dishwashers (Miele) and I cannot image life without two dishwashers. One in the island and one in the side counter. Have a big bunch of people over for a party and need to clean up, they all go in and in a short order they are done! The Miele dishwashers have a solenoid in the supply line so that if the DW is not pulling power they water is cut off. There also is a tray built into the bottom of the DW and if water gets on it the DW shuts off. Our's triggered once and it worked flawlessly. They guarantee no leaks.

We love our counter depth SubZero freezer. Wolf and SubZeros are made in the USA and they make a big point to use a lot of US sourced materials and components. We had stainless steel appliances for 3 years and hated the chore of keeping the clean (I live with a neat freak or two) and so we went with wood panels when I remodeled our kitchen. We also have Miele double ovens and love them. If you can't cook in Miele double ovens you need to hang it up. LOL

We're in the middle of our construction too and I have a pile of appliances sitting in my garage. I'd love to finally get them installed!

Anyways, from my research, I came up with some of the following items.

Sub-Zero fridge. We have a new stainless steel 48" and a used panel ready 48". I'm likely going to sell both of them and get a new, panel ready 48". My wife and I are feeling like the SS will be trendy, pick up fingerprints, and also scream "Look, here's our SS fridge!" With it being such a large piece in the kitchen, blending into the cabinetry is more important. Because these fridges are so big and "HEAVY", I would rather start with a brand new one for longevity.

We do also have a Sub-Zero drawer fridge and hope that goes well.

Wolf- Again, we have two from a store closing. A six burner gas, and a 4 burner with grill. I think that the grill will be sold and the 6 burner installed. I just don't think using a dedicated grill is worth it inside and would rather have 6 burners.

Viking - I think I'd stay away. A lot of complaints about their components lately and it sounds like service is also a nightmare.....especially their fridges. Also, my dad has the 48" Viking Mack Daddy. We've cooked pancakes and bacon on his griddle. What I noticed is the heat is definitely uneven!!

We will also have 2 DW's and have been set on the Kitchen-Aid. However, I am definitely curious about the Miele ones. Any further reasoning here? I know they cost a little more than KA.

Hood vents - I listened to Wolf and Viking.....and they are really loud (even on low settings). The Vent-a-hood is definitely quiet but doesn't look like a traditional baffle type vent. I've listened and looked at "Imperial" and they look to be on my short list.

Kitchen Cabinets - We are NECK deep in this decision right now! So exhausting!

We've looked at the following:
Crystal - Definitely high quality and well build. But about 15%-20% higher.
Starmark - Second place in quality. Really like them too but just a hair below in quality than the Crystal.
Koch - Next in line and pretty decent quality.
Woodland - We are now looking into this right now (mainly because of color than anything). We have a cheaper line of Woodland in our current house (MDF, 1/2" sides, 1/8" back) but hoping they may have a nicer line/higher quality.

We are aiming for full plywood boxes, full extension drawers and soft close on everything.

Just where we are at in our process....... :o

Thrall
10-14-2013, 12:27 PM
Our first fridge was LG. Took 3 tries to deliver a working one. That one was nice enough for the five years it lasted. Wouldn't go there again.

This....
It's luck of the draw IMO. Just like automobiles and insurance companies. Just depends which one is a bigger pos on a given day.
I happen to get a ridiculous discount on GE through my company so that's all I buy.
But I'd say do like jk ski and shop the crap out of the prices.
Personally I've had good luck with GE too. Got a pair of washers and dryers that get the tar beat out of them with 2 boys in the house. Those things do about 10 loads each a week. Mud, rocks, grease, whatever doesn't make it out of their pockets. 6 plus yrs and going strong knock on wood. GE fridge that is close to 20 years old. Been moved around the county 10 times. Laid on its side for days. Subjected to 110 deg and -10 deg temp swings in the garage. Had a bad squeak for years that would only stop by kicking the door! Door is all dented up but no squeak now for the last cpl yrs and still works great. Ice maker and all.
One thing to note. Subzero or at least the Kitchenaid branded sz fridges have an 11 year warranty. I only know that because mine crapped out at just under 11 years and when ordering a new compressor I was informed of it. Instead I called a service guy who found almost every moving part in the unit to need replacement. So I now have an essentially new fridge for about $400. No warranty hassles. Speaks good for their warranty service anyway.

snork
10-14-2013, 12:42 PM
Ski-me look into Merillat Masterpiece Cabinets for all plywood box construction
they come standard with full extension soft touch drawer glides and soft touch door closures, solid maple dovetailed drawer box and 3/4" plywood shelves

Ski-me
10-14-2013, 01:04 PM
Ski-me look into Merillat Masterpiece Cabinets for all plywood box construction
they come standard with full extension soft touch drawer glides and soft touch door closures, solid maple dovetailed drawer box and 3/4" plywood shelves

Thanks and we'll see if any of our guys have that line. We need to order them like "yesterday" so pretty stressful decision.

Full house cabinets are ranging from $60k to $80k so a big decision. And I don't want to get junk just because the door color is right.

Starmark is 3/4" plywood on sides and 1/2" on back (I think).
Crystal is 1/2" all the way around.

Oh, and on the Sub Zero warranty......on the website when registering your appliance, it asks for the "installed date" and not the purchased date. Even though I bought my 48" last year, I'm hoping the warranty starts when they actually get installed (mute point if we buy another one though.)

bigmac
10-14-2013, 01:06 PM

We had the same experience with their top washer and dryer.

H2ORidr
10-14-2013, 01:12 PM
Wolf- Again, we have two from a store closing. A six burner gas, and a 4 burner with grill. I think that the grill will be sold and the 6 burner installed. I just don't think using a dedicated grill is worth it inside and would rather have 6 burners.

We will also have 2 DW's and have been set on the Kitchen-Aid. However, I am definitely curious about the Miele ones. Any further reasoning here? I know they cost a little more than KA.

Kitchen Cabinets - We are NECK deep in this decision right now! So exhausting!

Dishwashers: When we were shopping for appliances we went to a local place that is big but still family owned. When I asked "what would you put in" the woman went right to the Mieles. After doing my homework about the leak protection it made me realize they were $$$ but worth it. As a side not my office mate just had a 2 year old fridge with an ice maker go on the fritz for 2 hours one Sunday morning before he found out about it. Water leaked for 2 hours and ran across the floor and got under all manner of stuff. End result was over $20,000 worth of damage to his floors and cabinets. His cabinets were particle board boxes and the bottom 2" turned to oatmeal. To me I would NEVER own an icemaker or water in the door fridge for love nor money. My insurance agent says they and washing machines are the bane of his existence. There are WAY more floods than there are fires in houses and the damage is far more substantial.

Cooktops: around here big 6 burner cooktops require hood and those hoods require make up air handlers. That adds significantly to the cost of a kitchen.

Cabinets: What? Can't everybody make their own kitchen cabinets as part of the hobby? :)

My current kitchen. Door panels are curly cherry all from a single log, and the door frames, styles and rails are all from another veneer grade log that the veneer buyers snubbed because the tree died. The door frames had matching grain across the fronts and from top to bottom because I cut all the pieces from the boards and kept them together. Yeah, I can take OCD to a whole new level. :D

The canned tomatoes are from my gardening hobby. That was a busy afternoon for me.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e179/drvermin/P9120011.jpg

Alan-S
10-14-2013, 01:30 PM
I have done 4 kitchens in the past 10 years. We prepare all meals at home other than date night. 3 kids.

KitchenAid- Stainless lower end- Did great and got the resale we wanted

KitchenAid- Stainless higher end- No problems, Microwave was too fancy for my wife

Electrolux- Stainless higher end - Total crap, Leaky dishwasher, touch panels were a PITA

KitchenAid- Higher end Stove(Dual Fuel) and Fridge, low end dishwasher and microwave. Favorite setup, wouldn't change a thing except that my dishwasher does not have a 4 hr delay

KahunaCraft
10-14-2013, 03:48 PM
On the range fans, check your building codes, some of them need additional venting because of the negative air pressure they can generate in fire situations.

On the Miele... Here is a recent write up...

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2013/06/2-700-miele-dishwasher-a-middling-performer-in-our-tests/index.htm

JohnE
10-14-2013, 05:56 PM
I went with Kitchenaid on the house I just built based on salesman's recommendation. Double oven, 36" gas cooktop, bottom freezer refrigerator, dishwasher. If I were going higher end I would have looked at Thermador. They are giving some good discounts on the high end stuff to try to take some of the Wolfe/ Subzero market

2RLAKE
10-14-2013, 06:56 PM
When we built our house 6 years ago my wife joined Direct Buy ... I was completely skeptical paying $1000s to join a buying club ... Well that was one of the best investments we've made ... We saved 3X initially with the cabinets, granite, tile and carpet. Since then we've bought furniture and just refinished our basement ... Enjoying the benefit of being a member

I don't see how you can justify it without building a house ... But if you are please look into it

zamboniman
10-14-2013, 07:19 PM
Not sure why the love for the KA dishwashers.. I bought into the hype doing the same research a couple years back.. ours is one of the better higher end ones.. It's a POS. Not sure why most can't see through the hype.. it's really no different than most of the whirlpool and other rebadged ones.. it has different buttons, door, and a label. Otherwise it's the same unit inside the wash area. That said. I paid pretty decently and look forward to the day (not the bill) when it's replaced with something else. I'll put it this way the old cheap plastic tub one that was in the prior house cleaned dishes MUCH better. The only thing the KA has going it is quiet. I took a hard look at Bosch but noticed that it was smaller inside.. and the tines are really close together so it may be hard to fit many dishes in there depending on the style/depth of plates/bowls. I also thought I wanted a heated dry.. not sure if that has any merit in real world use though. Either way the Bosch didn't have a heated dry.

I have a theory that modern dishwashers (along with clothes washers) are wrapped around the axle with efficiency and low water use. In the end I want my dishes and clothes clean after a cycle. I'd rather a bit more water or energy used but the job actually be done well as opposed to being able to "market" how good it looks on a spec sheet in the store. I'm sure that has something to do with how well the old cheap dishwasher could clean the heck out of dishes yet this one around a $G may as well just hand wash. That said I'd gladly trade my Front load washer for a traditional top load old fashioned water hog clothes washer.

east tx skier
10-14-2013, 07:23 PM
The LG front loader washer/dryer set has been pretty bullet proof for us.

madcityskier
10-14-2013, 09:07 PM
Our kitchen aid cleans much better than the Bosch and lg we had in the past. Prior to that was Frigidaire, don't get me started on that pos.

Not sure why the love for the KA dishwashers.. I bought into the hype doing the same research a couple years back.. ours is one of the better higher end ones.. It's a POS. Not sure why most can't see through the hype.. it's really no different than most of the whirlpool and other rebadged ones.. it has different buttons, door, and a label. Otherwise it's the same unit inside the wash area. That said. I paid pretty decently and look forward to the day (not the bill) when it's replaced with something else. I'll put it this way the old cheap plastic tub one that was in the prior house cleaned dishes MUCH better. The only thing the KA has going it is quiet. I took a hard look at Bosch but noticed that it was smaller inside.. and the tines are really close together so it may be hard to fit many dishes in there depending on the style/depth of plates/bowls. I also thought I wanted a heated dry.. not sure if that has any merit in real world use though. Either way the Bosch didn't have a heated dry.

I have a theory that modern dishwashers (along with clothes washers) are wrapped around the axle with efficiency and low water use. In the end I want my dishes and clothes clean after a cycle. I'd rather a bit more water or energy used but the job actually be done well as opposed to being able to "market" how good it looks on a spec sheet in the store. I'm sure that has something to do with how well the old cheap dishwasher could clean the heck out of dishes yet this one around a $G may as well just hand wash. That said I'd gladly trade my Front load washer for a traditional top load old fashioned water hog clothes washer.

dmayer84
10-14-2013, 10:09 PM
We just got all kitchen aid for our kitchen renovation. Dual fuel stove microwave/convention oven hood and dishwasher. We have a couple year old samsung fridge that has worked well

atihanyi
10-15-2013, 08:20 PM
we built our dream kitchen a few years ago and did all work ourselves. went with jenaire and couldn't be happier . we also did an indoor gas grille so no more grilling outside when its 20 below a word of advise if you do a lot of entertaining go with double ovens

markmcfarland
10-15-2013, 09:35 PM
We love our GE cafe oven and cooktop. We have a fisher pascal dishwasher that has two drawers. Jury still out on that.

roush611
10-15-2013, 11:13 PM
As stated prior to this for a house of that caliber don't mess with any of the mid range stuff...

Go with Viking, thermador, sub zero or wolf. More expensive but worth it in the end, that is saying you are going with high end finishes everywhere else in the house.

Traxx822
10-16-2013, 11:53 PM
Check MFS Supply . Com. It will save you $.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

SKIBUMM
10-16-2013, 11:58 PM
We just switched out our kitchenaid double oven fridge and dishwasher. New 5 years ago and the ovens were crap. My wife is an avid baker and we went with Wolf ovens and lg fridge and dishwasher and they are all better than the kitchenaids we had. She loves the Wolf ovens.

fskof
11-05-2013, 02:03 PM
Dishwashers: When we were shopping for appliances we went to a local place that is big but still family owned. When I asked "what would you put in" the woman went right to the Mieles. After doing my homework about the leak protection it made me realize they were $$$ but worth it. As a side not my office mate just had a 2 year old fridge with an ice maker go on the fritz for 2 hours one Sunday morning before he found out about it. Water leaked for 2 hours and ran across the floor and got under all manner of stuff. End result was over $20,000 worth of damage to his floors and cabinets. His cabinets were particle board boxes and the bottom 2" turned to oatmeal. To me I would NEVER own an icemaker or water in the door fridge for love nor money. My insurance agent says they and washing machines are the bane of his existence. There are WAY more floods than there are fires in houses and the damage is far more substantial.

Cooktops: around here big 6 burner cooktops require hood and those hoods require make up air handlers. That adds significantly to the cost of a kitchen.

Cabinets: What? Can't everybody make their own kitchen cabinets as part of the hobby? :)

My current kitchen. Door panels are curly cherry all from a single log, and the door frames, styles and rails are all from another veneer grade log that the veneer buyers snubbed because the tree died. The door frames had matching grain across the fronts and from top to bottom because I cut all the pieces from the boards and kept them together. Yeah, I can take OCD to a whole new level. :D

The canned tomatoes are from my gardening hobby. That was a busy afternoon for me.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e179/drvermin/P9120011.jpg

Great looking kitchen you have there.
Is there a forum about building and remodeling. Love to see some pics to get some idea's

Ski-me
11-05-2013, 03:34 PM
Great looking kitchen you have there.
Is there a forum about building and remodeling. Love to see some pics to get some idea's

GardenWeb Forum
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/

Home ideas, Houzz
http://www.houzz.com/

My wife and designer use the Houzz A LOT!! That's what we have used for a ton of ideas....

TN Skier
11-05-2013, 09:29 PM
Hmmmmmmmm....may require a site visit?

We built last year and went with Whirlpool Gold Series line...so far very happy. The dishwasher is amazingly quite, stainless steel tub and several options. The fridge we chose is french doors with a bottom freezer (29 cubic feet)...so far it has had plenty of room. When we thought about color we decided to outfit the kitchen with black rather than stainless. Our experience with stainless in the past has not been very favorable.

Good luck with your picks! Nice looking place...

skps190
11-06-2013, 11:32 AM
Kitchen Aid here going on 5 years, no problems with any of them. My only complaint is the dishwasher is loud. If you go that route the 4 hour delay is a must have unless your family room/t.v area is away from your kitchen.

ol1970
11-06-2013, 01:14 PM
First off, beautiful spread! One day when I'm ready I plan on retiring to an inland lake down south as well. Here is the one single best suggestion I can give you...Design in a professional style Party Ice Maker. All my stuff is Sub Zero and I've been very pleased, but the best part when living on the lake is that separate Ice Cube maker. It constantly regenerates and the cubes are clear & perfect and just on that borderline of melting, not all frozen together. My pup can't get enough of them, he thinks they are treats. Never thought I could be so excited about an appliance, ha! Good luck with the build & remember, spend the money now or you'll regret it later!