PDA

View Full Version : Prop Guard Rollers

madcityskier
10-12-2013, 12:52 PM
In an old thread on teamtalk someone had added removable prop guard rollers. It was kind of a tray with poly rollers on the bottom, and hardened steel bolts across the top to hold it in place. Thinking of trying to get something similar made up, but can't find the picture for anything. If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Cloaked
10-12-2013, 12:58 PM
In an old thread on teamtalk someone had added removable prop guard rollers. It was kind of a tray with poly rollers on the bottom, and hardened steel bolts across the top to hold it in place. Thinking of trying to get something similar made up, but can't find the picture for anything. If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=317754&postcount=17

Also:

madcityskier
10-12-2013, 01:17 PM
Found those before and might go that route. Hoping to find a link to the one I was describing. I had pm'ed the op about making a set, but it never got done.

TN Skier
10-12-2013, 01:18 PM
Nice looking rollers...

Has anyone found a location to purchase them or is it a custom fabrication only?

Cloaked
10-12-2013, 01:21 PM
Nice looking rollers...

Has anyone found a location to purchase them or is it a custom fabrication only?
So you started your own thread ( http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?p=984783#post984783) and came here to hi-jack this thread?

:D

Yes, there is a place to acquire the rollers.... it's discussed in several threads on the forum... .

Or look here ==> http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=984788&postcount=4

:)
:)

Cloaked
10-12-2013, 01:50 PM
Found those before and might go that route. Hoping to find a link to the one I was describing. I had pm'ed the op about making a set, but it never got done. Who was the OP?

I also posted a link in that post above.

I may find other links

madcityskier
10-12-2013, 07:03 PM
Who was the OP?

I also posted a link in that post above.

I may find other links

I've gone through several thread searches with no luck. If I was smarter I would know who the op was, but I was too dumb to save the messages.

MI_Corey
10-12-2013, 08:16 PM
If I made some of these do you think there would be much demand for them?

Cloaked
10-12-2013, 08:21 PM
Speaking for myself.....Yes. I like the bolt-on format. Welded format is OK too but bolted works for ease of installation.

MI_Corey
10-12-2013, 08:25 PM
I was thinking a bolt on block similar to above but solid with tapped holes so you just screw into the block.

thatsmrmastercraft
10-12-2013, 08:33 PM
Bolt on is also greatly facilitates replacement when they get dinged up.

Cloaked
10-12-2013, 08:38 PM
I was thinking a bolt on block similar to above but solid with tapped holes so you just screw into the block.I have seen thru-bolts that (IMHO) would serve better in a shear direction of force more so than an internal threaded connection. However, that's just my $0.02. If you see that a threaded connection works, all the better for me. I have a picture somewhere of what I am describing.

madcityskier
10-12-2013, 10:03 PM
Corey, could you post a doodle if the idea? I'm intruiged. My prop guard is off right now so a guy does BG a restoration can fab a factory designed one for his. I figure I'll clean it up and do something roller wise while it's off.

mikeg205
10-12-2013, 10:04 PM
Corey, could you post a doodle if the idea? I'm intruiged. My prop guard is off right now so a guy does BG a restoration can fab a factory designed one for his. I figure I'll clean it up and do something roller wise while it's off.

i am in as well -

MI_Corey
10-12-2013, 10:07 PM
If I get time I'll draw a model up at work tomorrow. I don't know what the angle needs to be but I'm thinking very similar to the photos posted on this thread but just a solid block of aluminum with helicoiled threads set up for a standard J&L of MSC caster wheel. Then I could just make the blocks and a drilling template for us and you could order your own wheels. My boat is at my Dad's right now so I can't get good measurements. Like I said, if I get a chance I'll model a rough idea of it tomorrow on Mastercam or Solidworks.

mikeg205
10-12-2013, 10:17 PM
i would direction on how to drill on that diagonal arm

madcityskier
10-12-2013, 11:30 PM
http://press.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=48599&page=3

Been searching on and off for days, found it.
This is what I'm thinking of, though it would be very specific to the trailer generation. I know MikeG would have different dimensions than mine.

cbryan70
10-13-2013, 01:33 AM
I'm a 45 deg I know some are 60 a few Yeats later

MI_Corey
10-13-2013, 07:42 AM
Just something basic like this but I think it would look pretty good. Being aluminum you could paint to match or polish it up.

JohnE
10-13-2013, 09:30 AM

Count me in if you do.

MI_Corey
10-13-2013, 10:11 AM
Do you think these would hold up? http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-casters/=ox2ikf

I'm trying to pick a caster that's not horrible expensive and that doesn't require a really large mounting surface. We need to pick what casters we want to try so I can get the bolt pattern. Let me know what you guys think or if you find something else.

madcityskier
10-13-2013, 10:15 AM
Would you have to do a varying thickness of back plate to keep nolt heads from sitting uneven and potentially wearing prematurely? I like the strong/simple design.

mikeg205
10-13-2013, 10:53 AM
maybe place these under when you get to drive way.. ? I already have a pair of the these - however the drive way sections could chew up the wheels..

MI_Corey
10-13-2013, 11:10 AM
When I get a chance to take some numbers off my trailer I'll make a set up and see how they turn out.

d2jp
10-13-2013, 02:43 PM
maybe place these under when you get to drive way.. ? I already have a pair of the these - however the drive way sections could chew up the wheels..

I've been battling this issue for a few years.....I tried a pair of these (heavy duty version), and broke one of the wheels. I'm gonna post up some pictures, but my trailer drags for 6-8 feet. My drive is so steep, with a turn at the bottom I don't see any way to modify the trailer to clear without dragging. Having the trailer roll on dolly wheels being supported by the prop guard for the distance mine needs to 'roll', I'm afraid I would ruin or break the trailer. I've decided to store my boat under the carport at my inlaws lake house for the winter (3 hours away), and come spring/summer will have to find a covered storage facility close by. Hate to keep it outside, but at least it's covered from the elements.

mikeg205
10-13-2013, 03:00 PM
Mine just scrape occasionally... so not a big problem for me... if I approach the drive way at the correct angle I can avoid the scrape...

I like the idea of a lift kit for the trailer...

d2jp
10-13-2013, 05:39 PM
Mine just scrape occasionally... so not a big problem for me... if I approach the drive way at the correct angle I can avoid the scrape...

I like the idea of a lift kit for the trailer...

My Land Rover has air bags on the rear suspension. I've looked at some jet boat trailers that have been retrofitted with bags, pretty cool but not in my budget:)
Something like this could use airbags:
A lift is the simpliest way to do it, but I don't think a lift would give me enough clearance and then might cause difficulties with launch/retreive.

mikeg205
10-13-2013, 07:40 PM
My Land Rover has air bags on the rear suspension. I've looked at some jet boat trailers that have been retrofitted with bags, pretty cool but not in my budget:)
A lift is the simpliest way to do it, but I don't think a lift would give me enough clearance and then might cause difficulties with launch/retreive.

that is really slick!

timvan
10-15-2013, 06:43 AM

Is it me or is that shock at an extreme angle??

CumberlandXstar
10-15-2013, 08:34 AM
Is it me or is that shock at an extreme angle??

You are supposed to mount a shock perpendicular to the control arm it is pivoting on to get the best dampening, so this one is not perfect but not horrible.