PDA

View Full Version : vinyl staining from factory cover on '05 197

dwe
10-23-2005, 10:55 PM
Has anyone experienced this? Where the cover contacts the rear platform, engine box, and front bow cushion, it has left a slightly dark stain that doesn't seem to want to come out. It came from the '05 black trailerable cover. I now have an older model mc cover, that's more of a sunbrella material. I had skirts added to it at a local shop, and the owner advised me to stay away from tilex. He said that it would take it out, and would look good for a while, but the vinyl would deteriorate much faster. He recomended using 303 every time I brought it in to sort of "flush out" the stain. He said it might take time to do it, but that that is the most gentle way to solve the problem. Has anybody dealt with this? Anyone tried the ammonia/peroxide mix as per 303?

Ric
10-23-2005, 11:41 PM
buoychaser has found this same issue
Ive not towed with my 05 cover in place

erkoehler
10-24-2005, 12:01 AM
I would talk with the dealer, if the cover is what is causing the marks, and you were using it properly, dare I say warranty?

BuoyChaser
10-24-2005, 08:45 AM
mine weren't DARK marks, instead they were WATER SPOTS...the bottom of the cover has big white patches...i'm really not happy with the cover at all...lets water through like a sive and the pole attachment is a PAIN!!!the custom sunbrella cover on my '85 has a drawstring cord and works BEAUTIFULLY!!!

check out my previous post http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=5393&page=3&pp=10&highlight=cover+velcro

i also was wiping it down saturday, and noticed in the gelcoat there is a slight divot (indentation)...definitely shows more in the sun and is quite noticeable...the way to compare it, imagine stretching a piece of saran wrap tight, then sticking a pen in the saran wrap, that's what this looks like...

is that a warranty issue as well???

my dad is finding on his, two tears in his vinyl...one near the edge of the gunnel...also on the walkthrough seat the stiching is coming loose...he also had a huge NICK out of the teak platform, so his dealer is taking care of that as well for him...

mitch
10-24-2005, 08:57 AM
mine weren't DARK marks, instead they were WATER SPOTS...the bottom of the cover has big white patches...i'm really not happy with the cover at all...lets water through like a sive and the pole attachment is a PAIN!!!the custom sunbrella cover on my '85 has a drawstring cord and works BEAUTIFULLY!!!

check out my previous post http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=5393&page=3&pp=10&highlight=cover+velcro

i also was wiping it down saturday, and noticed in the gelcoat there is a slight divot (indentation)...definitely shows more in the sun and is quite noticeable...the way to compare it, imagine stretching a piece of saran wrap tight, then sticking a pen in the saran wrap, that's what this looks like...

is that a warranty issue as well???

my dad is finding on his, two tears in his vinyl...one near the edge of the gunnel...also on the walkthrough seat the stiching is coming loose...he also had a huge NICK out of the teak platform, so his dealer is taking care of that as well for him...

Scott, I also hated the factory cover on my 00 and had this one made locally. Cover works awesome and the guy is not far from you. Only drawback is the look of the snaps. Not a big fan, but the function outweighted the look for my needs.

BuoyChaser
10-24-2005, 10:34 AM
nice ride MITCH, sharp lookin' cover!!!

i would like a cover that goes all the way down to the sides to protect sun from fading the gel coat and also cover up the rear transom...that's where i found keepin' my old one lookin' new, was sun fading!!!

not all of us have the priveledge of keeping the boat in a garage except for when we ski with it!! :)

mitch
10-24-2005, 01:40 PM
nice ride MITCH, sharp lookin' cover!!!

i would like a cover that goes all the way down to the sides to protect sun from fading the gel coat and also cover up the rear transom...that's where i found keepin' my old one lookin' new, was sun fading!!!

not all of us have the priveledge of keeping the boat in a garage except for when we ski with it!! :)

Thanks Scott! This guy will do a cover like what you describe, as my buddy has that on his PS190. He hides the snaps under the rub rail. He's in Shapleigh, ME (just north of Sanford) Ray's Upholstering--> 207-342 2088 if you're interested. Cya!

BuoyChaser
10-24-2005, 02:04 PM
my buddy has that on his PS190. He hides the snaps under the rub rail. He's in Shapleigh, ME (just north of Sanford) Ray's Upholstering--> 207-342 2088

got any pics of your buddies boat???any idea of what he paid???just like to compare, because thought about ordering one from Ohio that is fitted for my dad's...got an Amish tarp shop out there that does some amazing covers for CHEAP!!!pretty funny, only way to correspond with them is by POSTAL MAIL...they use only mechanically operated sewing machines, no ELECTRICITY!!!

mitch
10-24-2005, 02:29 PM
got any pics of your buddies boat???any idea of what he paid???just like to compare, because thought about ordering one from Ohio that is fitted for my dad's...got an Amish tarp shop out there that does some amazing covers for CHEAP!!!pretty funny, only way to correspond with them is by POSTAL MAIL...they use only mechanically operated sewing machines, no ELECTRICITY!!!

No pics, but I think he paid 350-400ish

dwe
10-25-2005, 12:43 AM
I've never towed with the cover either; I think the marks came from the black cover sitting on the vinyl in the hot sun, and imprinting it. I talked to the factory on their opinion, and they stressed not using anything on the vinyl that wasn't on their list, especially the harsher cleaners. He said to have the dealer take pictures, and send to the factory for a warranty claim. My plan is to try the "flushing out" with 303 that the upholsterer recomended for a while, and if it doesn't get better, then look into warranty.

BuoyChaser
10-25-2005, 10:47 PM
interesting, i'll have to try that once we see some sunshine...been raining here in New England everyday since i brought the boat home a month ago!!! :(

Thrall
08-25-2009, 02:04 PM
dwe,

Or anyone who had a black cover stain the vynil....

Is there a way to get these stains out. Just bought an 06 that had a black MC cover on it quite often out in the sun and the cover stained it.

sand2snow22
08-25-2009, 02:11 PM
I've had same problem.....Magic Erasers will get it out easily......Make sure they are good and wet. I like the 50% stronger ones better, they don't break into pieces. Some say they aren't good for the vinyl, but I use them all the time and never had a problem. Follow up with 303 or a good protectant....

bturner2
09-01-2009, 11:26 AM
I stumbled on a method that should be fairly easy to reproduce. Had the same marks and was trying the 303 method. It wasn't working too well.

In the beginning of the summer I was using some Mothers cleaner wax to get some water marks off the deck and spilled some on the vinyl. I didn't see spill at first as I was busy at the other end of the boat clearing up. The wax had started to dry so I had to use some effort rubbing it off and noticed the black marks were quickly coming off with the wax. I proceeded to do the rest of the dark areas (this time just applying the wax and removing it at the same time, no dry cycle). After removing the wax I treated everything with several applications of 303. No more marks! It's been about three months now and I haven't seen them come back or any adverse effects from the cleaner wax.

I'm sure this is not approved by MC but I think it would be better than using a product with bleach or other harsh chemical.

Thrall
09-24-2009, 03:26 PM
Tried "spilling" some Meguiars cleaner wax on it. Didn't work.
Elbow grease and magic erasers seem to have lightened the stains considerably....to the point that in bright sunlight you can't tell the difference. Under flourescent lights in the garage though, it's still noticable.