PDA

View Full Version : powerstar 200 cracked rear seat / upholstery wear

jsn
09-08-2004, 11:53 AM
horizontal rear seat cushion in 98 powerstar 200 outboard is cracked down the middle by previous owner. the rear seat on this boat is not removable like on an inboard - all that can be removed is the bottom cushion. looks like there was some sort of a support bracket at some point, however its long gone.

any recommentations about finding a replacement seat for this relatively rare boat? Ideally would like to replace (or even find pictures) of the support bracket, to try to make my own.

also, a bit of wear along the edges of the sidewall upholstery. what is the most effective wayto seal/repair this damage, and prevent it from getting any worse?

I can post pictures if that would help... thanks in advance!

JimN
09-08-2004, 12:30 PM
Call around for vinyl repair. All of the car dealers use people like this. If you want to repair the seat cushion(bottom panel), see if there's anyone in the area who is a plastics distributor. They can help with the type of plastic that would work best and then you can devise a support for it after. If the skin is OK, just remove it and the foam. Make a new bottom and reskin it using stainless staples. If you don't want to reinstall the skin(it is a little tricky), you can take it to an upholstery shop and they can do it for you.

Definitely insist on stainless staples.

jsn
09-22-2004, 03:02 PM
just an update.

turns out the base of the seat is made out of a honeycomb-style aluminum sandwich material.

I'm curious if the bench cushions in any other MC boats are similar, in hopes of finding a replacement.