PDA

View Full Version : Snowmobilers riding gear

Workin' 4 Toys
10-23-2005, 10:34 PM
Any of you ever been completely satisfied with your riding boots?

I am going to buy some new ones, and I am not overly impressed with anything the local retailers have.

And whether you think it relates or not, ever seen any made in USA?

bigmac
10-23-2005, 11:06 PM
Any of you ever been completely satisfied with your riding boots?

I am going to buy some new ones, and I am not overly impressed with anything the local retailers have.

And whether you think it relates or not, ever seen any made in USA?

I've had the Trukke Powersport boots I wear for about 10 years. They're the only item of snowobile gear I havent' replaced in all that time.

erkoehler
10-23-2005, 11:55 PM
WFT,

I got a pair of Arctic Cat boots last year that I absolutely love. :D

tommcat
10-24-2005, 07:40 AM
i've been riding in Airwalk snowboard boots for about 6 or 7 years now. there is no better boot for snowmobiling in my opinion. i had never snowboarded before but picked up a pair of my buddies and all i could think was what a great boot for riding. all my riding buddies thought i was nuts until they tried them, now most of them wear the same thing.

Workin' 4 Toys
10-24-2005, 09:19 AM
I've had the Trukke Powersport boots I wear for about 10 years. They're the only item of snowobile gear I havent' replaced in all that time.
Where do I find them? I'll check them out.

Workin' 4 Toys
10-24-2005, 09:20 AM
i've been riding in Airwalk snowboard boots for about 6 or 7 years now. there is no better boot for snowmobiling in my opinion. i had never snowboarded before but picked up a pair of my buddies and all i could think was what a great boot for riding. all my riding buddies thought i was nuts until they tried them, now most of them wear the same thing.
Aren;t they huge and have those clips on the front and back? And what do you think they weigh?

Workin' 4 Toys
10-24-2005, 09:30 AM
WFT,

I got a pair of Arctic Cat boots last year that I absolutely love. :D
I was thinking of getting the new CAT TRACKER EXTREME. They just look (construction) cheap in the books and priced at about $135, not too bad, but there must be something better out there. No dealers around here have them in stock. They are my fall back plan if I don't find anything else I like.

bigmac
10-24-2005, 09:47 AM
Where do I find them? I'll check them out.

I don't like boots that lace up, even the quick-pull laces. The Trukke's have a velcro tongue, and clip closed. Look at this site (http://snowmobiles.ridegear.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/shop/Snow_Boots/F-7514_Powersport_II_Boots.html?E+scstore) . I see they've gone up in price and are also taller than my older versions, but the concept is the same. Good to -40, very comfortable.

Workin' 4 Toys
10-24-2005, 09:57 AM
I don't like boots that lace up, even the quick-pull laces. The Trukke's have a velcro tongue, and clip closed. Look at this site (http://snowmobiles.ridegear.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/shop/Snow_Boots/F-7514_Powersport_II_Boots.html?E+scstore) . I see they've gone up in price and are also taller than my older versions, but the concept is the same. Good to -40, very comfortable.
Powersport II Boots Features:

Made of water resistant 1200 denier nylon and waterproof leather.
Taped and cemented seams combine with gusseted tongue to keep the elements out.
Durable, abrasion resistant rubber toe and outsole provide all terrain traction.
Oversized pull loops are easy to grip - even when wearing gloves or mitts.
Asymmetrical harness stabilizers.
3m reflective taping adds visibility.
13 1/2 in. tall boots keep legs and feet protected down to -40F/-40C.
Removable foam liner with warm fleece lining and cuff.
Removable DuPont Thermolite 200 gram full foot insulation.
Full length internal EVA filler in soles.
Anatomically curved buckles and pull tabs.
Hook and loop tongue closure for easy on and off.
</H2>Looks like they are only 200gram thinsulate? I was looking through Cabela's last night, and they have some rated for -150. I find that extremely hard to believe.
I think I might give them a try though. The buckle clip has me skeptical. I've had Columbia boots with them and they crack and break in cold.

bigmac
10-24-2005, 10:44 AM
Powersport II Boots Features:

Made of water resistant 1200 denier nylon and waterproof leather.
Taped and cemented seams combine with gusseted tongue to keep the elements out.
Durable, abrasion resistant rubber toe and outsole provide all terrain traction.
Oversized pull loops are easy to grip - even when wearing gloves or mitts.
Asymmetrical harness stabilizers.
3m reflective taping adds visibility.
13 1/2 in. tall boots keep legs and feet protected down to -40F/-40C.
Removable foam liner with warm fleece lining and cuff.
Removable DuPont Thermolite 200 gram full foot insulation.
Full length internal EVA filler in soles.
Anatomically curved buckles and pull tabs.
Hook and loop tongue closure for easy on and off.
</H2>Looks like they are only 200gram thinsulate? I was looking through Cabela's last night, and they have some rated for -150. I find that extremely hard to believe.
I think I might give them a try though. The buckle clip has me skeptical. I've had Columbia boots with them and they crack and break in cold.

I understand your skepticism about the buckles, but my boots have had hard use in the 10 years I've been using them and the buckles just haven't been a problem, even in a lot of sub-zero riding around here. We were riding the North Shore of Lake Superior back during the winter that they set a temp record in Minnesota, 20 miles from where we were riding - minus 60 F. I confess I put a couple of those little heat packs in the toes of my boots, but otherwise my feet didn't get cold. Everything else did, though. The problem I have is that the more cold-resistant the boot, the heavier and clunkier it tends to be. I've found these boots to be the best balance of warmth and functionality that I've seen so far, at least to the extent I haven't been searching for anything better. OTOH, in that same period, I've upgraded helmets several times, bibs, jacket, balaclavas. Gloves - still actively searching.

I did finally find a nice balaclava - polypropylene - that doesn't have a seam down the middle. I consider THAT to be one of my best finds ever relative to snowmobile gear.

erkoehler
10-24-2005, 11:58 AM
I have worn the CAT boots for almost 2k miles of riding last year, never cold, never wet :D

tommcat
10-24-2005, 12:07 PM
Aren;t they huge and have those clips on the front and back? And what do you think they weigh?No, they are the soft boots (no clips), and smaller than most snowmobile boots. very light and warm also

jamisonsbrodie
10-24-2005, 12:10 PM

Same here, they are light, comfy, and warm!

bigmac
10-24-2005, 12:13 PM
Same here, they are light, comfy, and warm!

Personally, I like more rigidity, especially at the toes (for the stirrups), than snowboard boots provide.

Thrall
10-24-2005, 01:35 PM
I haven't worn pac boots or my snowboard boots for years now.
Get yourself some good "hunting " boots, lace up, goretex, 600-1000g Thinsulate. Wear a good pair of wool socks w/ them (at 0 or below).
I have pair of Rocky's I bought at the Holiday (you cheeseheads know what I'm talking about!), gonna retire them this year, the goretex is shot. Have a pair of Danner's now.
These boots are the most comfortable I've worn. Fit like a pair of workboots, lightweight, easy to walk in, fit in the sno shoes (when needed) easily.
I've ridden w/ these from Northern WI, UP Mich, Togwotee, Snowys, Rabbit Ears, Chama, Vail Pass, etc. Feet haven't ever gotten cold unless the water was deeper than the boots.

Datdude
10-24-2005, 04:48 PM
I have HMK boots and love them. Check out www.hmksnowmobiling.com. Their customer service has been AWESOME!!! I bought a pair at Haydays in 2004 and had a small area of seperation where the outsole meets the boot so they told me to send them back. They called me today and told me I could upgrade to the Highmark 3 at no additional cost or go to the Highmark Pro for $50. I paid $99.00 at Haydays for my original boots and the new Highmark Pros are selling for $200 so I came out ahead. The only time my feet got wet in those boots was last Spring on the powerlines in Michigan I stepped off my sled and went through 2' of snow to a creek under the snow and the water came over the top of the boots. They are stiff enough to provide ankle support, but are still comfortable.

Workin' 4 Toys
10-24-2005, 06:06 PM
I have HMK boots and love them. Check out www.hmksnowmobiling.com (http://www.hmksnowmobiling.com/). Their customer service has been AWESOME!!! I bought a pair at Haydays in 2004 and had a small area of seperation where the outsole meets the boot so they told me to send them back. They called me today and told me I could upgrade to the Highmark 3 at no additional cost or go to the Highmark Pro for $50. I paid $99.00 at Haydays for my original boots and the new Highmark Pros are selling for $200 so I came out ahead. The only time my feet got wet in those boots was last Spring on the powerlines in Michigan I stepped off my sled and went through 2' of snow to a creek under the snow and the water came over the top of the boots. They are stiff enough to provide ankle support, but are still comfortable.
They look good, but the orange and what I have won't go. I have to go with all black or black and green. Its a green thing. The pro boas look to be their best at $239.95. And they have the dial lace with cable. Its an option, but I am liking the Trukke and A/C boots better so far. But Thanks for the tip.

erkoehler
10-24-2005, 06:11 PM
I'm telling you, you'll love em! :)

Workin' 4 Toys
10-24-2005, 06:12 PM
I haven't worn pac boots or my snowboard boots for years now.
Get yourself some good "hunting " boots, lace up, goretex, 600-1000g Thinsulate. Wear a good pair of wool socks w/ them (at 0 or below).
I have pair of Rocky's I bought at the Holiday (you cheeseheads know what I'm talking about!), gonna retire them this year, the goretex is shot. Have a pair of Danner's now.
These boots are the most comfortable I've worn. Fit like a pair of workboots, lightweight, easy to walk in, fit in the sno shoes (when needed) easily.
I've ridden w/ these from Northern WI, UP Mich, Togwotee, Snowys, Rabbit Ears, Chama, Vail Pass, etc. Feet haven't ever gotten cold unless the water was deeper than the boots.
I went to the local D1ck's sporting goods store yesterday. They carry Rocky's. They did not have anything that caught my eye. All looked like hunting boots. I have plenty of them. Have plenty of comfortable work boots too. I have some Sorels for working around the house in the snow, snow blowing and what not.
I am looking for the perfect snowmobile boot. Not necessarily something that will work ok. I want them warm and dry in -40 temps with one pair of socks, and easy to lace, the right color combo(black and green) or lack there of(black). They also should have a somewhat aggressive footprint.

Workin' 4 Toys
10-24-2005, 06:13 PM
I'm telling you, you'll love em! :)
What model do you have?

erkoehler
10-24-2005, 06:16 PM
I will go look and snap a pic, be back in a few.......... :cool:

Workin' 4 Toys
10-24-2005, 06:19 PM
My guess before you come back....

erkoehler
10-24-2005, 06:24 PM
Sorry, your wrong. I was looking for those, but everyone was sold out and I needed a pair right away.

erkoehler
10-24-2005, 06:27 PM
Here are the boots I bought last year:

erkoehler
10-24-2005, 06:28 PM
:D :smile:

Workin' 4 Toys
10-24-2005, 08:34 PM
$139.95 in the '06 book. Those are what I was looking at. I think SO FAR if I don't get the Trukke's, I will probably go that route.

erkoehler
10-24-2005, 09:43 PM
I found mine at Rt. 12 for around $100