PDA

View Full Version : 08 X-2 heater winterization

Timr245
10-09-2013, 08:35 PM
Well I winterized my 08 X-2 today & when I tried to get both heater hoses off to blow it out 1 would not come off. So I left it attached and blew air through the 1 that came off. Lots of water came out of the block drains (knock sensor mounts) and also some out of the impeller housing. Is this sufficient or do I need to get that hose off & blow the lines out again?

Thanks in advance for any insight!!

ttu
10-09-2013, 09:20 PM
I have always had the same problem with one hose and the method you did has worked for me for 7 years.

bigmac
10-10-2013, 01:33 AM
Back when I did my own winterizing, I blew my heater out, but then pumped -100 propylene glycol through it. Easy to do. I accessed it with an $8 RV pump at the connector on one of the heater hoses in the bilge. These days, I pay my dealer to do it. He pumps -100 propylene glycol through the whole engine, including the heater. Works great...it sits in there all winter, and in spring I just launch it, fire it up and we're good to go. I went 6 seasons on my last impeller.

bturner2
10-10-2013, 06:42 AM
I blow it out like you did then use a funnel to pour in as much marine antifreeze as it will take. I hit it again with the air until I hear the antifreeze going back into the block. At that point you know all the water is out and antifreeze has at least gone through the heat exchanger.

Timr245
10-11-2013, 12:55 PM
So if I pump anti-freeze in from the top of the engine where the heater hose connects until It comes back out my knock sensor holes, I should have the entire engine full of anti-freeze? I would want to install my new raw water impeller first though correct? Also does this engine have manifold drains? This is my first time winterizing an Indmar so I apologize in advance for all the questions, just trying to make sure it's done properly.

bigmac
10-11-2013, 01:32 PM
So if I pump anti-freeze in from the top of the engine where the heater hose connects until It comes back out my knock sensor holes, I should have the entire engine full of anti-freeze? I would want to install my new raw water impeller first though correct? Also does this engine have manifold drains? This is my first time winterizing an Indmar so I apologize in advance for all the questions, just trying to make sure it's done properly.

On my boat, lying in the bilge, were the heater lines - 5/8 inch hoses. The output line had a plastic splice in it from the factory. I detached that, hooked up an RV winterizing pump (http://www.amazon.com/Camco-Manufacturing-Inc-36003-Fittings/dp/B0006IX7YW) with the siphon end in a gallon of -100 propylene glycol (I use -100 because this is Minnesota) and start pumping. It takes much less than a gallon before you hear the glycol flowing back into the engine. You could pump the whole gallon in..certainly nothing wrong with anti-freeze sitting in your engine block all winter. You could change your impeller first, if you want. I rarely changed my impeller as part of the winterizing process. In fact, I rarely changed my impeller.

Yes, your manifolds need to be drained. Mine have looped garden hose connection. I just undid the hose connection and they drained.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/413desmMyLL._SX342_.jpg