PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice on laying a brick walkway.

jkski
10-09-2013, 08:44 AM
So, I have decided to put in a brick walkway to my front door and while I have set brick before, I know there are easier and better ways to go about it to insure that it remains in good shape for a long time.
So, anyone have any tips as to the best base material to use and how thick it should be? The ground where I am putting it is very hard but I will scrape it down to level before starting as to have a nice base to start from.
Bring on the advice.

JohnE
10-09-2013, 09:02 AM
So, I have decided to put in a brick walkway to my front door and while I have set brick before, I know there are easier and better ways to go about it to insure that it remains in good shape for a long time.
So, anyone have any tips as to the best base material to use and how thick it should be? The ground where I am putting it is very hard but I will scrape it down to level before starting as to have a nice base to start from.
Bring on the advice.

I've done several brick walks and the key is the base. I'd make sure there is at least a foot of compacted gravel. Then you lay about 1" of compacted fine stone dust as a way to make it perfectly straight/ graded properly. (You may substitute sand for stone dust, but it does not compact as well.) The prep is by far the most important aspect. Once it is prepped properly it goes very quickly. I've done both bricks and Unilock pavers. If done properly you can drive a heavy truck over it without any settling. I delivered my granite and drove over my last one.

jkski
10-09-2013, 10:00 AM
Looks great and thanks for the advice. So, did you but the bricks up against each other or is there some spacing?
What is the best way to cut them?

Traxx822
10-09-2013, 10:18 AM
I've done several brick walks and the key is the base. I'd make sure there is at least a foot of compacted gravel. Then you lay about 1" of compacted fine stone dust as a way to make it perfectly straight/ graded properly. (You may substitute sand for stone dust, but it does not compact as well.) The prep is by far the most important aspect. Once it is prepped properly it goes very quickly. I've done both bricks and Unilock pavers. If done properly you can drive a heavy truck over it without any settling. I delivered my granite and drove over my last one.

That sidewalk looks a little squiggly :cool:

Just kidding. Looks great.

I've done a few brick driveways and walkways in my time and have found JohnE's tips above to be the easiest way to do it.

It's all in the prep work. The bricks are honestly the least important part.

Get a long 2x6 and string line the sides and use that to smooth out the sand or stone dust. Filling In low areas as you go. The base has to be perfect. At least 1" stone for a walkway. Code here is 3" I believe. That may be for driveways. Been a while since I have done this.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

JohnE
10-09-2013, 10:34 AM
Looks great and thanks for the advice. So, did you but the bricks up against each other or is there some spacing?
What is the best way to cut them?

Best way to cut them is with a wet saw. Same one you used for your tile. But you can use a skil saw with a diamond blade, a gas demo saw with a diamond blade, etc. Cutting dry is just dusty. Yes bricks get placed tight to each other. Even with that there are small spaces that you fill by sweeping with stone dust to fill. Then every few years I refill the spaces with no more than a few shovels of new stone dust. An alternative (better but more expensive) is to sweep the joints with Polymetric Sand which once wetted, forms a more impervious barrier.

jkski
10-09-2013, 11:20 AM
Great, that sound easy enough. Appreciate the advice and will take a pic when the project is done, just hope it turns out as nice as yours..........maybe you want to make a roadtrip to do mine!

Willski
10-09-2013, 01:05 PM
If it is like the rest of your project, you will be posting pics of the finished product in about 2 days!

skps190
10-09-2013, 04:08 PM
I've done a walkway and a patio, like said before the prep is key. I used gravel and then limestone screenings for the top layer of the base. Spend the extra money and use the polymetric sand for the joints as well. It looks weird before you sweep it into the joints but once in and wet everything gets solid and doesn't move. I've driven a truck over my walkway and had no problems. I would say that if its up against a house to make sure to add a slight grade away so you don't have any water pooling. Don't rush the preparation, take your time and do it right the first time.

skps190
10-09-2013, 04:17 PM
This is the patio I did, before landscaping. A lot of work but well worth it.