PDA

View Full Version : STOLEN- Austin TX area - '58 Corvette

pmkkdx
10-08-2013, 03:21 PM
hey guys, worth a shot to get more eyes watching for a somewhat unique vintage car, especially any of you around Texas.

This was a fairly complete matching #s project car that my dad found and I bought years ago, never had time and money at the same time. I had moved it to our remote family ranch about a year ago, stashed deep back in a barn, covered completely with tarps surrounded by plywood with more stuff put in on top and in front ... in other words, it was well hidden.

It was taken from South of Bertram and West of Liberty Hill Texas sometime between Sept. 27 and Oct. 4, someone cut the lock (not the chain???) on the entry gate, pulled down to the barn (~400 yards barely visible from highway), pulled barn gate open, moved everything from out of front and tarps drug to the back. they either had to drag or winch the car out on flat front tires (drag marks indicate) and load (trailer or tow truck). A report has been given to the Burnet County Sheriff's Department and Central Texas Auto Task Force along with pictures and VIN.

If any of you see or have seen (trailered) this car, please contact me here or the Burnet County Sherriff's dept. It is fairly unique being yellow with a silver insert, missing the grill and one headlight. Thanks for any help you might can provide on location or direction it might be heading.

Meeker
10-08-2013, 03:29 PM
Wow, sorry to hear. Good luck

scott023
10-08-2013, 03:33 PM
By the sounds of it, I would assume that someone you know did pulled this off. Way too coincidental IMO. Car well hidden in a seemingly low traffic area? How many people knew it was in there?

scott023
10-08-2013, 03:34 PM
Not rubbing it in, but that is a beautiful, classy car. Sorry you have to go through this, terrible to hear.

thatsmrmastercraft
10-08-2013, 04:00 PM
Tough break......someone obviously knew about that car. Good luck in recovery.

Ski-me
10-08-2013, 04:09 PM
Yea, totally dig the unique color and what a classic car.

I'd also agree, someone knew about it. There is just no way someone "stumbled on it".

GoneBoatN
10-08-2013, 04:09 PM
Sorry for your loss. That would be one prime resto project!

drschemel
10-08-2013, 04:11 PM
That really stinks. You can't sell a stolen corvette - numbers are impossible to hide. All they can be doing is selling parts. You should look for it in ebay motors as a string of rare corvete parts suddenly available.

madcityskier
10-08-2013, 04:22 PM
Anyone you know retiring out of country soon? Sorry to hear. Good luck with recovery/insurance co. process.

pmkkdx
10-08-2013, 04:32 PM
scott, no one other than immediate family knew it was back out there since May 2012. My dad (now deceased) told some of his local friends 10+ years ago about it and I had one of them contact me the day before the above picture was taken asking if I still had it and if I was interested in selling to a guy that professionally restored old cars out of San Antonio. I told him I still had it but it wasn't for sale. He said oh well, this guy would love to see it and that if I didn't mind, he would take him out there. I said no, it's not for sale and not interested in him trespassing to "look at it". I did agree to meet with them and show them the car which is why I know it was #s matching as they went thru it with a fine tooth comb, said he had an investor looking for an old C2 vette to restore but would need to show him pictures and discuss that evening on a price, to which I repeated it was not for sale! He said everything is for sale at the right price! He called back the next evening asking if I had figured out a price ... no, it's not for sale! my dad found the car and I plan on restoring with my son when we both have the time, as I had been saving the $$$ to make a good dent in the restoration. He offered anyway which I declined.

After thinking about it, I decided it best to move immediately to be on the safe side. The next morning is when the above picture was taken as I moved it to my mom's warehouse in town where it was locked inside all covered up ... there it remained there until my mom passed and we had to clear out the shop for new tenants to take over (at which time I moved back to the barn, ~2 years later).

I have heard of reports of other break ins into homes in the general area (+/-10 miles) but never had any issues since there really is nothing of value (other than my well hidden vette).

I have passed names & contact info for the local guy that was "friends" with my dad and the guy from San Antonio that did all the numbers research.

yes, I agree, someone had to know it was there since they had to have the right equipement to cut the lock, a trailer/tow truck and winch. Hopefully someone in the area saw it being moved/transferred (we have made up fliers that will get distributed around the area this weekend and a big banner hung up with description and contact info).

pmkkdx
10-08-2013, 04:37 PM
why I am posting here as I know this community keeps a close eye on ebay, craigslist, etc. for MC and accessories ... figured ya'll might come across something related to this with those searches. Another couple of unique traits ... it does not have a '58 hood or trunk deck as they appear to be from a '59 or '60 (no louver ripples on the hood and no chrome stripes on the trunk), so someone might mistake it for those year models too ... and since it's missing the 9 tooth grill (unique to '58 & '59) someone might think it's a '60 or '61 (but I Think they changed taillights around '60)... Yeah, it totally stinks with cooler weather getting here where I had planned on moving it to my house to get started over the winter after all these years... Thanks for keeping a look out!

scott023
10-08-2013, 04:39 PM
Just terrible. The sentimental value you have with it can't be described. I hope that they find it for you, and quick. Again, sorry this has happened to you.

Did you have all the numbers for the vehicle (VIN, block, frame and body id #'s)? That would go a long ways towards finding anyone trying to sell parts.

scott023
10-08-2013, 04:41 PM
why I am posting here as I know this community keeps a close eye on ebay, craigslist, etc. for MC and accessories ... figured ya'll might come across something related to this with those searches. Another couple of unique traits ... it does not have a '58 hood or trunk deck as they appear to be from a '59 or '60 (no louver ripples on the hood and no chrome stripes on the trunk), so someone might mistake it for those year models too ... and since it's missing the 9 tooth grill (unique to '58 & '59) someone might think it's a '60 or '61 (but I Think they changed taillights around '60)... Yeah, it totally stinks with cooler weather getting here where I had planned on moving it to my house to get started over the winter after all these years... Thanks for keeping a look out!

I will most certainly be doing some random searches, keeping an eye out for you.

bill-d-c
10-08-2013, 05:18 PM
Sorry to hear about this. Yes, they changed the back end in 61, continued through the mid-years. They can't sell it, only piece it out. What a shame to do that to a numbers matching classic vette, there are so few still out there. I've restored (NCRS Top Flight) several vettes of that vintage, 58-62, and still like to watch prices...I'll keep an eye out, but chances are, it's gone.
Bill

tkemperdc
10-08-2013, 05:21 PM
Wow, sad to see I like my older cars, and have a 69 Charger. I hate to see things like this happen. I have to believe this was someone that knew about the car being there, I cannot believe this was random. They had to know how long it would take and bring a trailer and some friends.

I hope you can find it, and all in one piece.

Tom

76S&S
10-08-2013, 05:36 PM
Probably in a shipping crate on it's way to who knows where...

Sorry for the loss of what could have been an amazing project.

mustangtexas
10-08-2013, 06:06 PM
In our area of North Texas a group of guys go around looking in old houses and barns seeing what they can find. They make a list, find the market and then go back and steal what ever it is. And I mean what ever they can sell to make buck. I caught two guys messing around one of our old barns using a game cam. They didn't take anything but I'm sure they made a list. Two John Deere tractors were stolen shortly after that just down the road and they were found years later in Kansas when the buyer took one in for service and the serial number was used to order a part. The then owner had no idea they were stolen and had bought them through a well known farm equipment trader magazine. No matter how well you hide something, if your not there every day and it is valuable, you have a better than not chance that you will not have it long.

CC2MC
10-08-2013, 10:15 PM
Man, that really stinks. That would be some great time spent with your son. Maybe you will find it and it will be returned all restored. I am in Gulfport this week for work this week and there is a Crusin the Coast event down here with all kinds of classics cruising the streets. Makes my heart hurt for you even more when seeing all these beautiful cars.

LJN
10-08-2013, 11:02 PM
I really hate to hear this; I’ll keep a lookout down in the Houston area.
It seems like you are on the right track with looking at people in the area that knew about the car.
You should also post on these forums, as well as any automotive facebook pages:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com
http://www.racingjunk.com/
http://www.voy.com/16243/ (hotrodgossip)
www.ls1tech.com
As well as all of the corvette clubs around the state. Longhorn corvette club, Space City Corvette club, San Jacinto corvette club, maybe even the corvette club of America. It is worth a shot.
Good luck!
Luke

scott023
10-09-2013, 12:43 AM
I really hate to hear this; Iíll keep a lookout down in the Houston area.
It seems like you are on the right track with looking at people in the area that knew about the car.
You should also post on these forums, as well as any automotive facebook pages:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com
http://www.racingjunk.com/
http://www.voy.com/16243/ (hotrodgossip)
www.ls1tech.com
As well as all of the corvette clubs around the state. Longhorn corvette club, Space City Corvette club, San Jacinto corvette club, maybe even the corvette club of America. It is worth a shot.
Good luck!
Luke

Those are great ideas. Let's try to find this car.

TayMC197
10-09-2013, 10:21 AM
Search for years around 58, you might have luck with that as well.

cbryan70
10-09-2013, 11:53 AM
long shots

http://shreveport.craigslist.org/ptd/4108930494.html
http://bgky.craigslist.org/pts/4107381641.html
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/pts/4108112543.html

fskof
10-09-2013, 03:15 PM
I will forward this info to my friend who is in the Corvette Club. The more people that know the better!

I would contact the Corvette Club Of America. Have a article posted on there website/club magazine.
also email http://bringatrailer.com/ have them post some info on that website. This info must get out to the car collectors so it will make it harder for the thiefs to try to sell the car!

Goodluck and keep us updated!

fskof
10-09-2013, 03:43 PM
scott, no one other than immediate family knew it was back out there since May 2012. My dad (now deceased) told some of his local friends 10+ years ago about it and I had one of them contact me the day before the above picture was taken asking if I still had it and if I was interested in selling to a guy that professionally restored old cars out of San Antonio. I told him I still had it but it wasn't for sale. He said oh well, this guy would love to see it and that if I didn't mind, he would take him out there. I said no, it's not for sale and not interested in him trespassing to "look at it". I did agree to meet with them and show them the car which is why I know it was #s matching as they went thru it with a fine tooth comb, said he had an investor looking for an old C2 vette to restore but would need to show him pictures and discuss that evening on a price, to which I repeated it was not for sale! He said everything is for sale at the right price! He called back the next evening asking if I had figured out a price ... no, it's not for sale! my dad found the car and I plan on restoring with my son when we both have the time, as I had been saving the $$$ to make a good dent in the restoration. He offered anyway which I declined.

After thinking about it, I decided it best to move immediately to be on the safe side. The next morning is when the above picture was taken as I moved it to my mom's warehouse in town where it was locked inside all covered up ... there it remained there until my mom passed and we had to clear out the shop for new tenants to take over (at which time I moved back to the barn, ~2 years later).

I have heard of reports of other break ins into homes in the general area (+/-10 miles) but never had any issues since there really is nothing of value (other than my well hidden vette).

I have passed names & contact info for the local guy that was "friends" with my dad and the guy from San Antonio that did all the numbers research.

yes, I agree, someone had to know it was there since they had to have the right equipement to cut the lock, a trailer/tow truck and winch. Hopefully someone in the area saw it being moved/transferred (we have made up fliers that will get distributed around the area this weekend and a big banner hung up with description and contact info).

After reading this story about the pushy guy that professionally restored old cars out of San Antonio.I would be passing his info to the police dept.

Kyle
10-10-2013, 11:09 AM
I really really hope that this is one of those Chip Foose kind of pranks where it comes back completely frame off restored and the joke is on you.

Someone knew it was there and came to get just that item. As mentioned they could have trespassed and found it, to later come back and take it. They could have herd from word of mouth that your ranch was hiding such an item etc, as mentioned before.

Or

Your wife is playing some kind of sick prank on you.

I'll keep an eye out in dfw area but more than likely such a rare car is inside a car hauler, not on a flat bed or wrecker.

The numbers matching part can possibly help but only if it was stolen and the thief sells a big ticket item. I would also see if there is any swap meets in the area. See if you may find a fender or a piece or two from that car. I just don't see this vehicle being sold as whole. I would also make sure that Texas department of motor vehicles knows, so that a salvage title or some kind of monkey business can't happen to it in the future. Vettes are very well documented.

Was the lock cut or missing?

How old is your son? Old enough to drive out to the ranch for a highschool party and someone sees it and then tells others who would want it?

The pushy guy seems weird. Check into him, I wouldn't necessarily accuse him but check into him. No one likes being accused or blamed for something they didnt do.

I hope it's all a scheme to get you all riled up and your wife is going along with some kind of prank.

fskof
10-10-2013, 02:43 PM
I also would start questioning your dad's friend who seems to be telling everyone about a car that doesn't belong to him!

pmkkdx
10-10-2013, 04:15 PM
Yep, all contact information for everyone I can possibly think of that might have known has been passed along to several law enforcement agencies around central Texas, posted on multiple people's Facebook pages and broadly shared, various other types of forums similar to here. A co-worker is also big into classic cars and frequents shows, auctions, speed shops, restoration shops, various auto clubs and has a very broad range of contacts in that industry that has passed along similar information to get word out.

Lock was left there and definitely cut using bolt cutters Ö which I found really odd that they didnít cut the chain which is much milder steel.

Other ideas of possibilities that have popped into my head (some a pretty good stretch) have been documented and sent to various LE Auto Task Forces to dig into.

My son is 29 and almost as distraught over the loss as me as that was our future project. He is posting information around forums similar to me getting the word out that he frequents.

I am doing all that I know that I can do so far and hopefully LE is on the lookout across the state as well. We made up fliers and got a 3x6 foot banner made in hopes someone saw it being transported around the area and will be posting fliers in post offices, area business and door to door within a 10 mile radius. Someone had to see it being moved, unless they had an enclosed trailer which would be very out of place in this extremely rural area.

But yes, it would be nice that if in a few weeks/months a camera crew shows up from Pimp My Ride or similar as a surprise Ö Iíd definitely take that kind of joke in stride!!! But not holding my breath though.

Part of the reason I havenít been around here as much lately as most of any of my free time is doing various searches looking any hints, calling local rod shops, documenting additional info, etc.

Thanks for all the inputs as some have sparked new ideas and paths to follow up on!!! Keep your eyes peeled, it is greatly appreciated!!!

gotta_ski
10-10-2013, 05:07 PM
A theft like this is lower than low. Here's hoping that the person/people who took your car get exactly what's coming to them. Or a crowbar to the face. I'd be ok with either one.

scott023
10-10-2013, 06:20 PM
A theft like this is lower than low. Here's hoping that the person/people who took your car get exactly what's coming to them. Or a crowbar to the face. I'd be ok with either one.

I think even getting both, justice wouldn't be served.

mustangtexas
10-10-2013, 08:43 PM
I sent your image of the Vette to my brother-in-law in LA. He is the producer of Overhaulin' and knows a ton of guys in the collector car world. You have a bunch of eyes out there looking.

2RLAKE
10-10-2013, 08:45 PM
Very sorry ... Terrible situation ... Just pisses me off that people do this and violate our personal property

As Willie Nelson sings "A man had to answer for the wicked that he done
Take all the rope in Texas
Find a tall oak tree, round up all of them bad boys
Hang them high in the street for all the people to see that"

DooSPX
10-11-2013, 09:54 AM
I frequent ls1tech.com and corvetteforum.com I will keep an eye on there. Other sites are digitalcorvettes.com. I will also ask around, I know a few corvette collectors and racers. Get them to be on the look out.

rjracin240
10-11-2013, 11:45 AM
Turkey Rod Run coming up in Daytona Next month will be on lookout and when out in town in N.Fl

pmkkdx
10-14-2013, 01:28 PM
I guess I am lucky in once sense ... that I did not catch them on my ranch or even on the highway with my car in tow.

The word is getting out broader as a number of friends big into classic/muscle cars are filtering word out thru a number of clubs here in Texas and across the USA. Another friend printed out fliers and took with him this past weekend to a big car show down close to San Antonio to distribute and even went out over the PA several times throughout the weekend for people to keep a look out.

I met with lead investigator & several detectives from a number of other counties to our north last Friday at the ranch and was told it has been in the national database including VIN in case someone tries to get a lost or blue title for it. The wife and I also hit a bunch of local businesses and post offices in the general area putting up fliers in hopes someone at least saw what direction it was headed.

just a little update as I continue to keep trying to get the word out. thanks again!

thatsmrmastercraft
10-14-2013, 01:30 PM
Appreciate the update. Keep the faith brother.

strad
10-14-2013, 01:52 PM
I had the crazy thought a few days ago that maybe you were on overhaulin. Just so weird that the car was hidden out in the middle of nowhere and this happened. I sure hope you find it and it doesn't take too long

Ski-me
10-14-2013, 02:01 PM
I had the crazy thought a few days ago that maybe you were on overhaulin. Just so weird that the car was hidden out in the middle of nowhere and this happened. I sure hope you find it and it doesn't take too long

I think we are ALL hoping this is the case..... :popcorn:

scott023
10-14-2013, 02:21 PM
I guess I am lucky in once sense ... that I did not catch them on my ranch or even on the highway with my car in tow.

The word is getting out broader as a number of friends big into classic/muscle cars are filtering word out thru a number of clubs here in Texas and across the USA. Another friend printed out fliers and took with him this past weekend to a big car show down close to San Antonio to distribute and even went out over the PA several times throughout the weekend for people to keep a look out.

I met with lead investigator & several detectives from a number of other counties to our north last Friday at the ranch and was told it has been in the national database including VIN in case someone tries to get a lost or blue title for it. The wife and I also hit a bunch of local businesses and post offices in the general area putting up fliers in hopes someone at least saw what direction it was headed.

just a little update as I continue to keep trying to get the word out. thanks again!

Thanks for the update. I think there are a lot of us keeping our eyes peeled for it.

scott023
10-14-2013, 02:23 PM
I think we are ALL hoping this is the case..... :popcorn:

Be tough on the wife to watch him going through all this, dealing with the authorities etc. I think it would be mighty stressful on her if it was in fact for Overhaulin...

Ski-me
10-14-2013, 02:31 PM
Be tough on the wife to watch him going through all this, dealing with the authorities etc. I think it would be mighty stressful on her if it was in fact for Overhaulin...

True that!

I'm actually hoping it is NOT "Pimp my Ride" though......:( They'll destroy a classic.

scott023
10-14-2013, 02:39 PM
True that!

I'm actually hoping it is NOT "Pimp my Ride" though......:( They'll destroy a classic.

That would be horrible.

JohnnyB
10-15-2013, 05:56 AM

Would be a cool end to this story.....even better than catchin the perp

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

pmkkdx
10-16-2013, 08:58 AM
a little update ... I received a call on my cell yesterday from an odd phone number. Upon answering, it was the deputy that did the initial response/report but he was calling from someone else's phone, that of the property owner immediately to the north of our ranch who lives out of state in VA that I had never met nor talked to. They moved years ago and his nephew had been keeping watch on the place from time to time. My dad had met the nephew back in the 90s but didn't have any contact info for either. Come to find out the nephew had passed away a couple of years ago and he had hired a guy that he knew in the Austin area to do general upkeep and mowing/shredding in exchange for hunting rights. We exchanged contact info so we could keep in touch.

Anyway, the deputy said he was not calling with good news but wanted to put me in contact with the adjacent landowner as he was doing an investigation for them too as their place got broken into also. Someone actually drove thru their gate, broke into their old house and stole a bunch of antique furniture ... possibly more, they didn't have a complete list yet of what had been taken nor completely surveyed all the out buildings & barns. The deputy said he felt that with having both places hit in a similar timeframe, it was highly likely someone relatively local and possibly someone that was looking for abandon places to steal copper wire for scrap prices. No suspects as of yet.

scott023
10-16-2013, 10:16 AM
These bastards need to be caught. I can't tell you how sorry i am that yow going through this.

thatsmrmastercraft
10-16-2013, 10:21 AM
Absolutely disgusting. I guess if the criminals are local, there is a better chance of them being caught.

fskof
10-16-2013, 10:29 AM
a little update ... I received a call on my cell yesterday from an odd phone number. Upon answering, it was the deputy that did the initial response/report but he was calling from someone else's phone, that of the property owner immediately to the north of our ranch who lives out of state in VA that I had never met nor talked to. They moved years ago and his nephew had been keeping watch on the place from time to time. My dad had met the nephew back in the 90s but didn't have any contact info for either. Come to find out the nephew had passed away a couple of years ago and he had hired a guy that he knew in the Austin area to do general upkeep and mowing/shredding in exchange for hunting rights. We exchanged contact info so we could keep in touch.

Anyway, the deputy said he was not calling with good news but wanted to put me in contact with the adjacent landowner as he was doing an investigation for them too as their place got broken into also. Someone actually drove thru their gate, broke into their old house and stole a bunch of antique furniture ... possibly more, they didn't have a complete list yet of what had been taken nor completely surveyed all the out buildings & barns. The deputy said he felt that with having both places hit in a similar timeframe, it was highly likely someone relatively local and possibly someone that was looking for abandon places to steal copper wire for scrap prices. No suspects as of yet.

Wow first I'm glad that you are getting in touch with more people, the more the better! Was anything else stolen from your barn? I hope they catch these lowlifes and they get what they deserve.

snork
10-16-2013, 10:42 AM
The Perp is closer than you'll ever guess and as most thefts that's the case
This was no random theft nor was the neighbors break-in
If you hire your own PI this could be resolved in short order

pmkkdx
10-16-2013, 02:28 PM
the only other thing that we can determine that was taken from our place was all the plywood full and half pieces that surrounded and on top of all the tarps to hide the vette. The investigators suspect the thief(s) used the plywood as ramps to load it on a trailer and took it with them to unload it too.

there's more to the story that I will have to type later as time relating to a likely person involved but no suspect identified yet...

bobx1
10-16-2013, 03:04 PM
I have to say that is an interesting turn of events (the neighbors being victims as well).

I would think that whomever grabbed your vet knew exactly what they were looking for and would want to get in/out ASAP and not mess with anything but the vette- certainly not the neighbors stuff.

So if the two crimes are related then I would assume they may be local or regional thieves and if that is the case then they may be easier to catch. They may had been scouting out the neighbors place and ran into your vette - and probably have no idea what they have on their hands. If this is the case then maybe (hopefully) they will try sell it in the U.S. intact.

Just thinking out loud and playing detective in my mind.

pmkkdx
10-16-2013, 05:36 PM
Yep, I have been playing out so many various scenarios of detective work too.

A bit longer version of what the lead detective informed me of … back in mid September, a DPS officer had a brief chase with an older looking ranch truck for speeding, finally it pulled over nosing into the neighbor’s gate to the north. As the officer got out to go up to the driver’s window, the truck took off bursting thru the gate and disappearing down into the pasture and the driver drove it into a dense brushy area and bailed out. The officer jumped back in his car to follow but the driver disappeared into the dense brush on foot. The officer called for backup but they never found or caught the guy, the truck was stolen and no fingerprints could be taken or found. Fast forward to last Friday when detectives (3x) came out for follow up on my car, they wanted to see how close the next ranch was to our north side and realized it was only 400-500 yards from our north fence to where the guy bailed out of the truck. They suspect when he took off on foot, he started off hiding around the old house on the neighbors place and saw stuff thru the windows, and then he made his way to/over our fence and another 500 or so yards up to our barn to take refuge and hide some more. While in there, discovered the hidden Vette. Coming back later to retrieve anything of value between both places as the neighbor’s gate was never replaced and he might have thought he could drive between the two properties unseen.

I did notice other things moved / piddled with inside the barn (metal locker left open where my dad used to keep his coffee pot & snacks that had ľ turn latching handles, hasn’t been open in years) but there really wasn’t anything of any value anywhere out there other than the very well hidden car.

DooSPX
10-16-2013, 06:46 PM
I posted over on LS1tech.com in the Texas Forum as well as the Southern Members forum over there.

I asked that they email me and I will forward the info to you.

btw, almost 40 views in about 120 seconds. That will help get the word out.

orbeamlb
10-16-2013, 10:00 PM
I know the pain. Had my TA stolen back in the mid 80's. Recovered the car 30 days later and it was filthy (I was 21 and so pissed off that I threw an empty 25 gallon drum across the Pontiac dealer's parking lot).

Will keep my eyes and ears open at the cruise nights and car shows around our area.

Mike

nascar
10-17-2013, 04:35 PM
never give up looking and keep an eye on Ebay , there is a story on the British Car Forum where a guy found his stolen Austin Healey on Ebay .....40 years after it was stolen !

DooSPX
10-17-2013, 07:07 PM
here are a few by chance leads from ls1tech...

" Originally Posted by Y2K T.A.R.A. View Post
I feel like I seem that car along 35 north... Looks so familiar as I drive it a lot. However that's before and I'm not sure it's even the same one, One I'm thinking was behind a wire fence almost along the access road of 35 can't pinpoint where... Good luck finding it"

" Originally Posted by retardedpenguin View Post
I had a guy call me to do an LS swap on a 58' Vette a couple weeks ago, I'll see if I can find the number. Said he just got it for his wife.

Any of the owners friends have an odd name? The guy who called was I think Quinton or something along those lines."

HRC
10-17-2013, 09:35 PM
http://memphis.craigslist.org/pts/4094076347.html

CantRepeat
10-18-2013, 10:52 AM
I keep watching this thread hoping the OP will post that the vette was found and the thief(ves) has/have been caught.

pmkkdx
10-23-2013, 07:44 AM
out of town on business travels, but no news since last post from last week ...

scott023
10-23-2013, 09:28 AM
I was waiting for an update, hoping it would be good news.

pmkkdx
10-30-2013, 01:25 PM
small update ... I received an email yesterday from the original deputy that there had been a number of other robberies up/down the rural farm to market road that are being investigated ... they suspect someone fairly local that is using Google earth/maps for properties that appear to not have much traffic, locating buildings and then going out at night to see what might be worth stealing, then going back later with appropriate stuff (trailer, dolly, bolt cutters, etc.) to get whatever they might have found. ... no trace of my Vette so far.

scott023
10-30-2013, 01:41 PM
Hopefully they get somewhere with this soon. I really want to see that 'Vette back in your garage.

thatsmrmastercraft
10-30-2013, 01:53 PM
If the moron criminals put the same effort into starting a legit business, they could do well and not have to operate in the middle of the night and hoping there isn't someone waiting for them with a shotgun loaded with with 00 buckshot in the next barn they break into.

Of course that said barn sleeping person would have a clean throw-away handgun available if necessary.:rolleyes:

scott023
11-23-2013, 09:01 PM
Any updates in this?

pmkkdx
11-26-2013, 10:09 AM
nope ... but I have been back to the ranch much more frequently lately since it's deer season, usually out there every weekend and sometimes during the week when passing close by going to/from my deer lease. Last Friday, after a morning hunt, I swung by to find yet another lock cut (not the dinky chain, but the lock) off the gate ... called Sheriff's department again, another deputy came out and filed another report. Nothing appears to be missing or disturbed. This deputy wasn't aware of the previous break in from late Sept/early Oct. time frame but he lives about 5 miles from the ranch and said he would definately keep a close watch on things and check to make sure gate is securely locked each time passing.

scott023
11-26-2013, 11:30 AM
What the heck? Came back looking for more? :mad:

h2oskifreak
11-26-2013, 11:39 AM
I would be setting out some "game cams".

scott023
11-26-2013, 12:55 PM
I would be setting out some "game cams".

That's a great idea. One that will hopefully get a license plate number...