PDA

View Full Version : Tranny question

KxCorky
10-08-2013, 12:23 PM
Sorry if there is already a thread about this.. Getting ready to winterize the boat and going to do that myself. Over the last summer a few times it seems like the tranny was slipping or has a miss every now and again when pulling up someone wakeboarding or surfing. It was never consistent though. The first time I just thought it may have been cavitation, but it happened maybe 5 or so more times over the summer. Just wondering if I should take it to the dealership to have the tranny serviced and what that entails or if I should just change the fluid myself in the spring?

I know the dealership is backed up, they had about 20 boats sitting in the lot on the way to work this morning and I am going to winterize this weekend due to the change in weather..

Thanks for any input..

mikeg205
10-08-2013, 12:27 PM
Only service is changing fluid. If it's slipping it may be time for a rebuild. Is the fluid clean? or does it look like it old?

KxCorky
10-08-2013, 12:30 PM
It looks really clean, and have been checking it every weekend before we go out.. Is cavitation a common issue with the 205? Had a newer model a few years back and don't remember any issues.. it has also been a pretty windy choppy summer and that is when it seems to happen.
Thanks,

mikeg205
10-08-2013, 12:39 PM
It looks really clean, and have been checking it every weekend before we go out.. Is cavitation a common issue with the 205? Had a newer model a few years back and don't remember any issues.. it has also been a pretty windy choppy summer and that is when it seems to happen.
Thanks,

I have the same hull - I have Hurth 1:1 tranny - 604 hours no slipping...

KxCorky
10-08-2013, 12:41 PM
Thanks for the info.. I guess I will have to get with the shop in the spring and have them go through it.. any ideas on cost?

russlars
10-08-2013, 12:57 PM
Make sure that you check the level of your fluid with the boat in the water. These transmissions seem to be prone to slipping if the fluid is even slightly low. Mine did this after a fluid change and just adding a small amount to bring it up to the full mark stopped it instantly.

KxCorky
10-08-2013, 12:59 PM
OK thanks! I will change it and check that out next season.

mikeg205
10-08-2013, 02:11 PM
which transmission do you have..

KxCorky
10-08-2013, 02:12 PM
Im not sure.. I will have to check it out this weekend.

Ski-me
10-08-2013, 05:06 PM
Im not sure.. I will have to check it out this weekend.

Probably the same as mine as well, Velvet Drive 1:1. Just be sure you have fresh fluid in there. I got an Autozone hand pump, sucked out as much as I could and then replaced with Mobil 1 Synthetic. I have not had any problems like you though.

On my sister's boat, Cobalt with same Velvet Drive, she has had that slipping. Hers it a little milky so I think water is leaking in....possibly from tranny cooler. I changed the fluid and it helped, but later got milky again.

Anyways, start by changing it and then be sure it's spot on for level (in water).

Oh, and we have the same boat.....so sweet! I also head to CDA, ID in the summers too so not "too" far from you... :)

etduc
10-08-2013, 05:11 PM
What is meant, checking level, when boat in the water.

Get the engine and trans up to temperature, then immediately check the level.(engine off) Tranny fluid will migrate back the tranny, after sitting awhile, causing a slight miss read. Be sure your fill plug is tight.

KxCorky
10-08-2013, 05:27 PM
Yeah CDA is only about 500 miles away :) You guys ever come through Boise?? Seems a little closer.. ;)

So is it worth it to change it when I winterize then check leves at the start of next season?

ricford
10-08-2013, 05:29 PM
Mine 96 will "slip" slightly in rough water and sometimes in corners or when a wakeboarder is pulling really hard out the side. I always assumed it was cavitation.

Ski-me
10-08-2013, 05:38 PM
Yeah CDA is only about 500 miles away :) You guys ever come through Boise?? Seems a little closer.. ;)

So is it worth it to change it when I winterize then check leves at the start of next season?

We have a place on Hayden so it's easy to stay for a long time. My friend loved Boise though when he lived there (Meridian, I think).

I'd go ahead and change it now but try and get the engine/tranny warm before hand. Then check level next spring.

Here is a winterization thread I did on our boat.....

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=51183&page=7

Good reference.

KxCorky
10-08-2013, 06:24 PM
I love it here becuse we can be at the lake in about 30 min, take the dogs and the toy hauler and the boat and play all weekend..

That is a great list! I guess I don't know what my uncle has used in the past to winterize as far as AF goes. So with our LT-1 we shouldn't use RV AF? Unfortuatly this will be the first year this boat has to be stored out side. So I think I will have to keep the block full of AF.. It gets cold here..

Ski-me
10-08-2013, 09:19 PM
Either one will do. I looked at prestone a few days ago and it did say "for use on aluminum" and will not harm. I used RV and then drained. I also just poured in staight antifreeze into block via t stat location to be safe.

93Prostar190
10-08-2013, 11:23 PM
Make sure that you check the level of your fluid with the boat in the water. These transmissions seem to be prone to slipping if the fluid is even slightly low. Mine did this after a fluid change and just adding a small amount to bring it up to the full mark stopped it instantly.

X2 on tranny fluid level!

russlars
10-09-2013, 12:34 PM
What is meant, checking level, when boat in the water.

With my boat I had changed the transmission fluid with the boat on the trailer and filled it to the top. After putting the boat in the water and experiencing the transmission slipping I checked the level again while on the water and it was very slightly low. The small addition of fluid to bring it up to level immediately stopped the slipping.