PDA

View Full Version : Wiring up head unit - ACC or HOT or Switch

bochnak
10-08-2013, 10:27 AM
I know this has been discussed before.

I'm installing a new head unit and can think of 3 ways of wiring it up:

1. ACC - Pros: you'll never drain the batt. Cons: I kill the motor when unloading/loading skiers. I'm sure if I go from ON > OFF > ACC the unit will probably skip a beat. There will be a ton of young kids on boat so they might turn on #2 or #3 below.

2. HOT all the time - Wire red and yellow to batt and use radio switch as ON/OFF. Cons: May drain batt if left on and kids will mess with it. Pros: Won't skip a beat.

3. Rocker ACC switch - Same as #2 above except you have a rocker switch with indicator light.

I'm leaning towards #1 since it is foolproof and there will be kids in the mix.

MLA
10-08-2013, 10:57 AM
I prefer option #3 and use an illuminated rocker/toggle. Light on = radio = dead battery next trip out.

But, option #3 has the yellow MEM wired to B+ and the rocker/toggle switches the red turn-on wire. this insures that the head-unit sees the same battery reference as the rest of the audio system.

Traxx822
10-08-2013, 11:01 AM
I know this has been discussed before.

I'm installing a new head unit and can think of 3 ways of wiring it up:

1. ACC - Pros: you'll never drain the batt. Cons: I kill the motor when unloading/loading skiers. I'm sure if I go from ON > OFF > ACC the unit will probably skip a beat. There will be a ton of young kids on boat so they might turn on #2 or #3 below.

2. HOT all the time - Wire red and yellow to batt and use radio switch as ON/OFF. Cons: May drain batt if left on and kids will mess with it. Pros: Won't skip a beat.

3. Rocker ACC switch - Same as #2 above except you have a rocker switch with indicator light.

I'm leaning towards #1 since it is foolproof and there will be kids in the mix.

I have mine run like option 2. Prefer it that way. I do have a perko switch that shuts everything down except my auto bilge.

How will the kids mess with it?

bochnak
10-08-2013, 11:03 AM
I prefer option #3 and use an illuminated rocker/toggle. Light on = radio = dead battery next trip out.

But, option #3 has the yellow MEM wired to B+ and the rocker/toggle switches the red turn-on wire. this insures that the head-unit sees the same battery reference as the rest of the audio system.

Yes, that is how I pictured #3 option. The rocker has an illuminated indicator light. The yellow would be hot all the time for memory.

cbryan70
10-08-2013, 11:05 AM
What audio are you going to put in it?

jschildm
10-08-2013, 11:40 AM
In my 98 205 I can go from running and turn directly to the ACC position and the radio does not go off. If I pause in the off position, then it does go off.

bochnak
10-08-2013, 12:18 PM
In my 98 205 I can go from running and turn directly to the ACC position and the radio does not go off. If I pause in the off position, then it does go off.

OK. What if you go from ACC to START position? Does the radio stay on while cranking?

bochnak
10-08-2013, 12:19 PM
What audio are you going to put in it?

An inexpensive marine unit non CD, only aux usb SD card. No amps and a pair of rear speakers for now.

jschildm
10-08-2013, 01:39 PM
From ACC back to RUN doesn't shut it off, but I believe when cranking it does go off momentarily. Now that you ask I can't remember.

jschildm
10-08-2013, 01:39 PM
I am hoping to get out again in the next couple days, I will make sure to pay more attention.

bochnak
10-08-2013, 01:42 PM
From ACC back to RUN doesn't shut it off, but I believe when cranking it does go off momentarily. Now that you ask I can't remember.

Thanks. Regardless of which way you wire above, the crank scenario will have the same result (I think). I was just curious.

We'll have it installed on Thurs and out in the water Fri.

Sodar
10-08-2013, 01:46 PM
Option 4. Wire in a TR7 (http://www.pac-audio.com/PACProductData/TR7/1_Instructions/tr-7_instructions_010505.pdf) and a relay. Set the delayed turn off to several seconds. When you turn the key off, the relay will stay on long enough that the stereo will not turn off when you go from ON to ACC.