PDA

View Full Version : Running ballast pumps on the trailer?

kdale1
10-07-2013, 10:44 AM
I have put my boat up for the winter and it's on the trailer at the moment. I am wondering if anyone has ever tried running ballast pumps with the boat out of the water? I want to try to troubleshoot some filling/draining and tank level indication issues with the stock ballast system on my 09' X14. I'm assuming it wouldn't be impossible... a tygon hose connected to the fill lines and dropped in a large cooler or 55 gallon drum? Figured I'd ask ya'll first before I did something that might cause any damage. Thanks!

rgardjr1
10-07-2013, 10:52 AM
I have put my boat up for the winter and it's on the trailer at the moment. I am wondering if anyone has ever tried running ballast pumps with the boat out of the water? I want to try to troubleshoot some filling/draining and tank level indication issues with the stock ballast system on my 09' X14. I'm assuming it wouldn't be impossible... a tygon hose connected to the fill lines and dropped in a large cooler or 55 gallon drum? Figured I'd ask ya'll first before I did something that might cause any damage. Thanks!

I use a fake a lake to suck up antifreeze in mine when I winterize. I think as long as you not running the pumps dry the impellers should be fine.

AlbertaSurfer
10-07-2013, 10:58 AM
I used a fake a lake on mine as well when I first set it all up. I had to make sure the fill/drain were running the right way, leak checks, etc. As long as your pumps are getting fluid, no worries.

kdale1
10-07-2013, 08:45 PM
Thanks for the replies fellas - I looked up Fake-a-Lake and found it for $43.90 here:

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=FAK01

Do you just hook a garden hose to the other end and let her eat? Also.... where did you all put the suction end? I guess my real question might be where do the ballast pumps take their suction at? Is it a common suction header on the bottom of the hull? I know the overflow lines are above the water line since I can see them while I'm filling the tanks on the river... Sorry in advance if this is a n00b question!

AlbertaSurfer
10-07-2013, 10:13 PM
Each of my pumps runs off a separate thru hull. You'd have to have a look underneath and see how many thru hulls are there. Follow the lines from your pumps. I just throw the fake a lake over the intake and turn the hose on. The pumps suction the plunger to the bottom of the hull when you turn the pumps on, which means you're starving them a bit, but it should be fine as long as you're just trouble shooting.

JRW160
10-08-2013, 08:41 AM
If you have a stock ballast setup, all of your pumps should run off the same thru hull. There are probably two under the boat. One is the raw water intake for the engine and the other is for the ballast pumps. My raw water intake is a scoop intake and the ballast pump intake is a strainer.

BrooksfamX2
10-08-2013, 09:40 AM
they are $14 at iboats.....

http://www.iboats.com/Seasense-Inboard-Motor-Flusher/dm/cart_id.281387962--session_id.760429877--view_id.391536

....and $23 on amazon....

http://www.amazon.com/Moeller-Flushrite-Flusher-Inboard-Adjustable/dp/B000MTB832