PDA

View Full Version : Trickle charge, tender or nothing to batterys

packman312
10-04-2013, 10:33 PM
What do you guys do. Amazing how much difference of opinions there is on this stuff

sand2snow22
10-04-2013, 10:36 PM
$99 optima charger.

http://www.optimabatteries.com/us/en/products/charger/

JRW160
10-04-2013, 10:38 PM
I have a guest 2611a charger installed on the boat. I just leave it plugged in when I'm not using the boat. It was about $100.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
10-04-2013, 10:49 PM
Battery tender jr. just plug in the quick disconnect when your done, $40

bsloop
10-05-2013, 10:05 AM
Step up to an installed charger like Guest /Marinco and maintain your batteries properly though out the entire year.

Another option either installed or mobile is the CTEK 7002 or others in their line. http://smartercharger.com/battery-chargers/
More advanced charging and desulfation capabilities.

Battery Tender / trickle chargers are old technology and low power.
Batteries are a big investment and while something is better than nothing, there are better products that can significantly increase battery life.

JDC
10-05-2013, 10:56 AM
Battery tender jr. just plug in the quick disconnect when your done, $40+1 on the battery tender.

Don't use a trickle charger unless you plan on monitoring it daily. Trickle chargers don't ever turn off. Get a charger that goes into float mode (stops charging and monitors voltage).

Battery tender = connect it and forget it... until spring.

Footin
10-05-2013, 12:28 PM
Battery tender jr. just plug in the quick disconnect when your done, $40

This is what I use also, the Tender Jr is cheap and works great. Mine is always pluged in.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
10-05-2013, 12:55 PM
Step up to an installed charger like Guest /Marinco and maintain your batteries properly though out the entire year.

Another option either installed or mobile is the CTEK 7002 or others in their line. http://smartercharger.com/battery-chargers/

Batteries are a big investment and while something is better than nothing, there are better products that can significantly increase battery life.

Hmm, not sure about the battery life comment, My current interstate battery is close to 4 yrs old and is always plugged into a battery tender jr. never has any issues.

Ryan
10-05-2013, 04:35 PM
I installed a ProMariner ProSport onboard charger in my last boat - loved it. Took out that anxiety of having a dead battery on the ramp or out in the lake.

http://www.amazon.com/ProMariner-ProSport-Bank-Charger-33274/dp/B001BSTG28/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1381001673&sr=8-11&keywords=promariner

fskof
10-05-2013, 05:11 PM
If you live in a cold climate I would remove the battery from the boat after you winterize the boat and keep the battery in your basement with a Battery Tender Plus on it. I did this since the boat was bought new and my factory battery lasted 9 years

This is the one that I have used on my Boat, Jet Ski's, Motorcycle, and cars : http://batterytender.com/battery-tender-plus-12v-at-1-25a.html

Cloaked
10-05-2013, 05:51 PM
+1 on the battery tender.

I have seven of the BTs in my garage. Over the years, one or another would go dead, typically from a surge when the power flicks off and back on. The first time, BT warranted their product. The last two times, they would not warranty saying that I had mine too long (I owned less than 10 years VS their 10 year warranty), so my song and dance to Battery Tender folks includes a middle hand digit aimed in that direction...

Don't use a trickle charger unless you plan on monitoring it daily. Trickle chargers don't ever turn off. Get a charger that goes into float mode (stops charging and monitors voltage).

I keep my batteries plugged in year-round. No need to take them anywhere other than their designated placement. The beauty of plug-and-play-and-forget.

Battery tender = connect it and forget it... until spring.
Done with Battery Tender due to their warranty service. After being a loyal customer for eight years, they won't honor my older warranties.. . Going to another brand...

+1 on a trickle charge. Ever leave a pan of boiling water on the stove forever? Same principle...

JDC
10-05-2013, 06:24 PM
I have seven of the BTs in my garage. Over the years, one or another would go dead, typically from a surge when the power flicks off and back on. The first time, BT warranted their product. The last two times, they would not warranty saying that I had mine too long (I owned less than 10 years VS their 10 year warranty), so my song and dance to Battery Tender folks includes a middle hand digit aimed in that direction...

I keep my batteries plugged in year-round. No need to take them anywhere other than their designated placement. The beauty of plug-and-play-and-forget.

Done with Battery Tender due to their warranty service. After being a loyal customer for eight years, they won't honor my older warranties.. . Going to another brand...

+1 on a trickle charge. Ever leave a pan of boiling water on the stove forever? Same principle...

Sorry to hear about your bad luck with Deltran.
I have 5 Battery Tenders. Two of them are the older original Battery Tenders and never had a problem with any of them. My most recent is a Jr. I bought last year.

ted shred
10-05-2013, 06:48 PM
I use battery tenders on my boat and motorcycle, Plugged in all the time. no problems at all.

David Analog
10-05-2013, 08:54 PM
The battery charger type and size should be determined by the specific application. One size definitely does not fit all.
Fisherman running a heavy trolling motor, fighting a wind, all day long, with a large capacity battery bank, have been dialed in on battery charger technology long before the advent of wakeboats. Just follow their lead if you have a large audio system, with a large house battery bank, and use the stereo for long durations at rest.
A minimum amperage smart trickle/tender/minder/maintenance charger is fine if you have a weekend car, tractor, motorcycle, ATV, UTV, etc, that is placed into storage with a fully charged cranking battery.
However, if you have a large capacity deep cycle battery(s) that is placed into storage with a deep discharge then you need a smart 3-stage charger with enough (but not too much) current capacity to excite the battery in order to counter the effect of sulfation. A charger using pulse technology may not need quite as much current capacity to do the job.
An ACR/VSR will have an impact on your dependency on a shore charger.
Having even an undersized charger is better than no charger at all. Batteries self-discharge several percent per month. Battery degradation is accelerated in a discharged state.

mikeg205
10-05-2013, 08:56 PM
The battery charger type and size should be determined by the specific application. One size definitely does not fit all.
Fisherman running a heavy trolling motor, fighting a wind, all day long, with a large capacity battery bank, have been dialed in on battery charger technology long before the advent of wakeboats. Just follow their lead if you have a large audio system, with a large house battery bank, and use the stereo for long durations at rest.
A minimum amperage smart trickle/tender/minder/maintenance charger is fine if you have a weekend car, tractor, motorcycle, ATV, UTV, etc, that is placed into storage with a fully charged cranking battery.
However, if you have a large capacity deep cycle battery(s) that is placed into storage with a deep discharge then you need a smart 3-stage charger with enough (but not too much) current capacity to excite the battery in order to counter the effect of sulfation. A charger using pulse technology may not need quite as much current capacity to do the job.
An ACR/VSR will have an impact on your dependency on a shore charger.
Having even an undersized charger is better than no charger at all. Batteries self-discharge several percent per month. Battery degradation is accelerated in a discharged state.

what you sayin' willis.. ;)

h2oskifreak
10-05-2013, 10:31 PM
My uncle had a battery tender on his new Porsche a few years ago and the battery exploded. He couldn't get the hood open with no power. Had to tow it 250 Miles and have the engine professionally cleaned $1,800 bill. No more tenders for him.

mikeg205
10-05-2013, 11:03 PM
My uncle had a battery tender on his new Porsche a few years ago and the battery exploded. He couldn't get the hood open with no power. Had to tow it 250 Miles and have the engine professionally cleaned $1,800 bill. No more tenders for him.

eash... I am done with german engineered cars... struts on my ex-C320 $1000 each... struts for my Ford $189... domestic only for me now.. ;)

my local Ford dealer has battery tenders running all the time on their show room vehicles.

fskof
10-05-2013, 11:34 PM

I think your uncle had a trickle charger and not a battery tender from Deltran or CTek. There is no way a battery tender caused a battery to explode. Also you can open the hood of a Porsche with a dead battery by going to the fuse box. The instructions are in the owners manual

fskof
10-05-2013, 11:38 PM

Sorry you had trouble with Deltran. I bought my first one in 2000 for my ducati and its still going strong!

Cloaked
10-05-2013, 11:46 PM
Sorry you had trouble with Deltran. I bought my first one in 2000 for my ducati and its still going strong!No big deal... Life rolls on. Thanks for the thought. Just sharing my experience with a supplier....

fskof
10-05-2013, 11:48 PM
No big deal... Life rolls on. Thanks for the thought. Just sharing my experience with a supplier....

What excuse did they give you for not honoring the warranty?

Cloaked
10-05-2013, 11:57 PM
What excuse did they give you for not honoring the warranty?
They lost and reconfigured their computer system in 2009. I had one Tender replaced since then and one day two went out within a week............ fast forward..... They accused me of buying junkers and sending them to be refurbished. Since they did not have records of the original sales, no warranty. Beats all I have ever heard. So I told them I had the original sales receipt and that was not good enough. I scanned to a PDF and sent the records to them. Sticking to their reason.... their new system did not acknowledge the customer order number of the old receipts, so no warranty.Even with the evidence of the old records. In my opinion, it was some boob that was in a bad mood... fast forward.... I ratted them out to the BBB and that made them more angry, so the BBB put a ding on them, as I sent the same evidence to the BBB. ...regardless, it's no big deal.... If that's all I have to get wrapped around the axle about, I'm good... just too bad about the situation because I did like their products...

fskof
10-06-2013, 12:07 AM
They lost and reconfigured their computer system in 2009. I had one Tender replaced since then and one day two went out within a week............ fast forward..... They accused me of buying junkers and sending them to be refurbished. Since they did not have records of the original sales, no warranty. Beats all I have ever heard. So I told them I had the original sales receipt and that was not good enough. I scanned to a PDF and sent the records to them. Sticking to their reason.... their new system did not acknowledge the customer order number of the old receipts, so no warranty.Even with the evidence of the old records. In my opinion, it was some boob that was in a bad mood... fast forward.... I ratted them out to the BBB and that made them more angry, so the BBB put a ding on them, as I sent the same evidence to the BBB. ...regardless, it's no big deal.... If that's all I have to get wrapped around the axle about, I'm good... just too bad about the situation because I did like their products...

WOW that sucks! I would be pissed!
I do remember reading in the newspaper that there was some Chinese company making fake copies and selling them on ebay and amazon that would go out after 3 weeks.

Cloaked
10-06-2013, 12:12 AM
I got in two ski runs today. Early morning and late afternoon. Makes everything good... :)

east tx skier
10-07-2013, 03:29 PM
I use a Schumacher charger with the old analog gauge on the float setting for a couple of days at winterization. Once I'm topped off, I disconnect the charger. Battery switch is always off when the boat is in the garage. Top it off again in the spring.

chevyluv
01-24-2014, 08:07 PM

im looking at this charger due to the fact i got a gift card to place that sells them and just wondering if this will be a good fit for me. the place has it on for 139.99. will this also work good as an all purpose charger or just strictly for a boat? thanks

Jayhawk
01-24-2014, 10:46 PM
im looking at this charger due to the fact i got a gift card to place that sells them and just wondering if this will be a good fit for me. the place has it on for 139.99. will this also work good as an all purpose charger or just strictly for a boat? thanks

That model has 120 5 star ratings on Amazon, so it must work really well. I use the Optima 400 and would highly recommend it as well. They are not just for boats.

Yellow X9
01-24-2014, 10:54 PM
Dual Battery maintainer for me

bsloop
01-25-2014, 10:23 AM

Sorry I cant say specifically if it is a good fit since I don't know/remember your battery bank size. The 7002 outputs 7amp and is spec'ed to charge banks between 14-150 amp hour. Generally, if you have more than two batteries, I would charge them independently with a 7002. They make more powerful units however.

Regardless if it is your primary charger, I do like it for doing a maintenance charge over all my batteries independently, twice a year. No scientific proof it helps.

$140 sounds high compared to the $105 I paid off Amazon in May 2012 but I see Amazon is now at $135 so maybe Ctek has raised prices substantially. You also have that Canadian factor ;)

PineLakeRumble
01-25-2014, 10:44 AM
+1 for Ctek. Battery is in the basement. Plug in the Ctek once a month for a day. Great results so far.

chevyluv
01-25-2014, 07:17 PM
Sorry I cant say specifically if it is a good fit since I don't know/remember your battery bank size. The 7002 outputs 7amp and is spec'ed to charge banks between 14-150 amp hour. Generally, if you have more than two batteries, I would charge them independently with a 7002. They make more powerful units however.

Regardless if it is your primary charger, I do like it for doing a maintenance charge over all my batteries independently, twice a year. No scientific proof it helps.

$140 sounds high compared to the $105 I paid off Amazon in May 2012 but I see Amazon is now at $135 so maybe Ctek has raised prices substantially. You also have that Canadian factor ;)

i ended up paying 129.99 on sale. haha ya the Canadian factor definitely plays a role in the price.

just have it on one of my battery's charging now hopefully it is as good as the reviews

bsloop
01-26-2014, 04:12 AM
i ended up paying 129.99 on sale. haha ya the Canadian factor definitely plays a role in the price.

just have it on one of my battery's charging now hopefully it is as good as the reviews

You should be very happy.
Most important is recharge daily and and the less you can discharge the longer the life.

CruisinGA
01-26-2014, 10:21 AM
Battery tender jr for all my toys.
Usually can find for $25 online

bigmac
01-26-2014, 10:25 AM
If you live in a cold climate I would remove the battery from the boat after you winterize the boat and keep the battery in your basement with a Battery Tender Plus on it. I did this since the boat was bought new and my factory battery lasted 9 years

This is the one that I have used on my Boat, Jet Ski's, Motorcycle, and cars : http://batterytender.com/battery-tender-plus-12v-at-1-25a.html

Unnecessary. The only reason to take a battery inside is to keep a discharged battery from freezing. A charged battery won't freeze until about -60. Keep it on a float charger like Battery Tender and there's no need to do anything else. Likewise, disconnecting the battery is unnecessary since the only reason to do so us to stop parasitic drain, which is irrelevant if it's on a float charger. It's worked for me for much longer than 9 years.

CC2MC
01-26-2014, 10:39 PM
^^^What BigMac said. +1

76S&S
01-27-2014, 10:15 AM
I've used one of these B&D battery maintainers on the MC for about 8 or 9 years now, with great results. I recently bought several more for other toys, farm and lawn equipment.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-BM3B-Battery-Maintainer/dp/B0051D3MP6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390831984&sr=8-1&keywords=black+%26+decker+bm3b+6v+and+12v+battery+ charger+maintainer

pbgbottle
02-03-2014, 09:42 PM
Costco in bellingham had a few pallets of the Deltran battery tender plus for $39.99 on the floor

i grabbed two units ..

MikeyOrange88
02-05-2014, 11:29 PM
Bought a two bank Battery Tender Plus and one of their 12.5' quick connect extension cables. Mounted the charger on the rear wall of the garage, one connected to the boat and one connected to the riding mower. Works perfectly. Really like that they furnish both the cables that hard wire to the battery posts and the alligator clip type for those odd jobs. :)

Thrall
03-06-2014, 03:27 PM
What bigmac said.
Hadn't pulled the batteries out of my X2 installed in 2009 until last year, to put them in the truck before heading to AK and leaving the boat pickled for 2 years, gonna be more like 3 now.
They've started the wife's Cummins faithfully now all winter this winter.
Battery tenders are right up there with canned beer on the list of inventions.

maxpower220
03-23-2014, 10:04 AM
Batteries are a big investment

Batteries cost about $125, they last 4-5 yrs on avg in a boat. That's nothing. I have a battery tender and it works great. A $40 investment on a $125 battery almost doesn''t make sense, but a $100 investment on a $125 definitely doesn't make sense.

bsloop
03-23-2014, 01:41 PM
Batteries cost about $125, they last 4-5 yrs on avg in a boat. That's nothing. I have a battery tender and it works great. A $40 investment on a $125 battery almost doesn''t make sense, but a $100 investment on a $125 definitely doesn't make sense.

Boat use and equipment runs the gamut from buoy enthusiasts to families to hard charging wakeboarders.
I try to tailor my advice to whom is asking using the info given or assumed.
The above quote is more relevant for a non-radio, buoy boat, in warmish climate with a single battery.

OP, with no additional info as to how he uses the boat but he has x-15 in a cold climate in his sig. I assume he has two batteries, at least one amp, general family use which includes a mix of use underway and floating.
Two batteries is more than a trickle charger should be expected to handle, especially if batteries are put away less than charged which is very likely since people often pull then sit. Motoring back to the dock on most WI lakes is likely not sufficient to recharge.
Assumed $250 minimum is more than enough to support a $100 investment to protect and extend life in a cold climate like WI.

$125 is also a low battery assumption. Optima is very popular with a 31 agm closer to $200 each.
On the other end of the spectrum, 5 Kinetik 2400's on my boat could set a person back $1500 with different charging requirements yet.

onewheat
04-03-2014, 01:43 AM

I've had a Battery Tender on my 1993 CBR900RR since it was new. Now, almost 22 years later, I am still on the second battery ever for the bike. The first went 10 years, the second has been almost 12 so far. There is no reason a boat battery should last only 4-5 years with proper maintenance. I am currently running 5 Battery Tenders on various things.

JMLVMI
04-10-2014, 01:50 PM
Bought a Battery Tender Jr. for my battery that had been sitting most of the winter. Took a couple of days to charge it but it is now in maintenance mode. Should put it on the boat today and see how many volts it's pushing...

bsloop
04-10-2014, 07:02 PM
Bought a Battery Tender Jr. for my battery that had been sitting most of the winter. Took a couple of days to charge it but it is now in maintenance mode. Should put it on the boat today and see how many volts it's pushing...

Take it to an auto parts store and see how many AMPS it can hold.