PDA

View Full Version : Tires - 2500 Yukon

ProStar190Fan
10-04-2013, 12:25 PM
I am in the market for new tires for a 09 2500 Yukon XL, my last vehicle was very simple as it was an 01 Yukon and I would simply put another set of Goodyear Silent Armors on.

What have others bought for 3/4 ton SUV's?

I am in Grand Forks ND, so winter handling is a must. I have done a few searches and I am looking into the Goodyear All-Terrain Adventures.

Thanks,

Hammer
10-04-2013, 01:20 PM
Double post...

Hammer
10-04-2013, 01:21 PM
Michelin MTX load range E. For a straight street tire, there is nothing better. I'm running BFG all terrains on my 1 ton load range E. But have run nothing but the Michelin's on all my previous trucks and loved them, including my 2500 Suburban. Wanted something a little more aggressive for this truck.

thatsmrmastercraft
10-04-2013, 01:26 PM
I have been running and selling lots of General Grabber AT2's and have been extremely happy with them. Snow, mud and ice traction has been great. What size tire are you running?

Ski-me
10-04-2013, 01:38 PM
I have the All Terrain BFG's on my 04' 2500 Yukon and really like them as well. Decent riding, true and balanced, and they tend to last a long time too. No compaints. Perform well in snow and slush as well.

gatorguy
10-04-2013, 01:59 PM
I put the general grabber at2's on my '10 suburban just after Christmas. I towed to lake Powell with them, 2000mile round trip, and have run them off road. They have been great! I think they look good, and they are pretty quiet for how aggressive the tread is compared with a street tire. Also my fuel mileage hasn't suffered either. I have about 15000 miles on them and it seems the tread is holding up well also.

clrussell
10-04-2013, 02:12 PM
I was honestly surprised when Goodyear started replacing the silent armor with the adventure at, the silent armor was an amazing tire. If you liked your old tires I'd go with the adventure, it's about the same price as the older silent armors and probably a better tire considering they replaced the silents. If your happy with what you had stick with it.

On the other hand I just put a new set of toyo open country at2s on my truck and really like them so far; quiet, was a little cheaper than the gy, good looking, and seem to do ok on traction so far. Have not had them in snow/ ice or sloppy mud yet though.

scott023
10-04-2013, 02:18 PM
I have been running and selling lots of General Grabber AT2's and have been extremely happy with them. Snow, mud and ice traction has been great. What size tire are you running?

Pete knows tires like no ones business... it'd be worth giving him a call on this.

XtwentyNot
10-04-2013, 02:33 PM
Michelin MTX load range E. For a straight street tire, there is nothing better. I'm running BFG all terrains on my 1 ton load range E. But have run nothing but the Michelin's on all my previous trucks and loved them, including my 2500 Suburban. Wanted something a little more aggressive for this truck.

BFG AT is a great tire but if you go back to Michelin and want more aggressive try the LTX AT2, it won't disappoint.

drschemel
10-04-2013, 03:01 PM
I like the Bridgstone Dueler A/T Revo. Good all around traction, quiet, and well balanced. The Firestones wear great but the compound is a little hard for my liking and cold weather traction not as good as it could be (at least not on my Jeep). Michelins are my favorite but sometimes the budget doesn't allow them!

thatsmrmastercraft
10-04-2013, 03:14 PM
The General Grabber AT2 (http://www.generaltire.com/tires/light-truck-crossover-suv/grabber-at-) is the best tire I have had on ice short of a studded tire. They are remarkably like BFG AT KO's but wear better, are quieter and the price is better. The non-LT tires are rated for 60,000 miles. On my last F150 that I sold with 451,000 miles on it, I went through more than a couple sets of BFG MT & AT tires. I liked them, but I like the Grabber AT2 more. Snowflake approved as well.

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT-Tires/images/general-grabber-at2.jpg

clrussell
10-04-2013, 04:05 PM
I forgot to add earlier then Peter reminded me, whatever you buy make sure it has the snowflake designation on it if your primary concern is snow/ ice traction

ProStar190Fan
10-06-2013, 10:40 PM
Thanks for all the replies, right now I am considering either the General Grabber AT2 vs the Goodyear All-Terrain Adventures. As far as tire size its LT245/75R16/E. I will be taking the vehicle to a few local shops and checking prices.

Forrest-X45
10-08-2013, 01:16 AM
BFG AT is a great tire but if you go back to Michelin and want more aggressive try the LTX AT2, it won't disappoint.

Agreed - you can't find a better tire. They are expensive but worth the money. I would give them a look because they will be the best tire you research. I would have them on my wife's rig if they had the lower profile sizes. You will spend a little more now but you will get your monies worth in the long run with longer tread life and superior handling and winter traction without going with a true winter tire.

ProStar190Fan
10-17-2013, 05:08 PM
Well, I just got back from three shops in my area. Its still a toss up between Goodyear All Terrains, General Grabber AT2 and the BFG AT. The shops recommended either the

-Michelin LTX A/T2
-BFG AT KO
-Primewell Valera
-Firestone Transforce AT
-Toyo AT II

Keep the thoughts coming as they really are helpful and I'll let everyone know what I end up going with.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
10-17-2013, 05:24 PM
Well, I just got back from three shops in my area. Its still a toss up between Goodyear All Terrains, General Grabber AT2 and the BFG AT. The shops recommended either the

-Michelin LTX A/T2
-BFG AT KO
-Primewell Valera
-Firestone Transforce AT
-Toyo AT II

Keep the thoughts coming as they really are helpful and I'll let everyone know what I end up going with.

I've had BFG in the past, didn't like the way they wore and were quite noisy after some miles. I now have Michelin and love these tires, not noisy and smoother riding @ 15k miles on them, my :twocents: of course.

pmkkdx
10-17-2013, 05:37 PM
you might also take a look at the Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac ... I loved the several sets I had on my previous truck logging 50k+ miles on each set before replacing (selling the old ones). When I upgraded my current truck, they did not offer the size (285 or 295/70r17) that I wanted in a load range E is the only reason I did not go to them this time. I went with Nitto Trail Grappler M/T and they are similar in traction but much louder.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireDetail.do?ra=filterTireProducts.do&fl=&pc=31919&counter=0&ar=75&rd=16&cs=245

nascar
10-17-2013, 05:41 PM
every set ( tried 4 or 5 sets on jeeps and ford truck ) of BGF tires I purchased were great when I first put them on but after about 12000 to 15000 miles they started wearing and were hard to keep balance , I will not buy BFG again .

Dylan
10-17-2013, 05:43 PM
I have had BFG ATs on a lot of different trucks (6+/-), and am always a fan. One issue of tread separation in the 90s, which was warrantied. Although, they are really heavy. I usually get 50,000+ miles out of a set. I looked long and hard at the Michelin LTX, and would have them on my truck if they had more sizes.

thatsmrmastercraft
10-17-2013, 05:46 PM

-Michelin LTX A/T2
-BFG AT KO
-Primewell Valera
-Firestone Transforce AT
-Toyo AT II

A lot of recommendations are based on what tires they carry. It is more work for a tire shop to bring in tires that aren't from a standard distributor. Standard business practice.

ProStar190Fan
10-18-2013, 12:55 AM
Pulled the trigger on Goodyear All Terrain Adventures with Kevlar. I was able to get in touch with a few people who have these already on the 3/4 ton suburbans and they had great things to say. They are getting installed on Tuesday.

Thanks everyone

swatguy
10-30-2013, 12:12 AM
Just to add to the mix for future reference.

Hankook Dynapro Atm
Cooper Discovery AT3
Toyo Open Country AT

I had issues with my BFG's as well with balancing. The also chuck rocks like crazy. Also had a pair if Nitto Terra Grapplers that didn't wear well at all.

Aric'sX15
10-30-2013, 01:01 AM
swat what kind of truck do you drive? i put 15k on terras before i sold my silverado and they showed no wear at all!

funny you recommend togo at's and they are the same company and tread pattern as terras! haha

swatguy
10-30-2013, 02:13 PM
They were on A Yukon XL that had about 22k. I rotate them on schedule. Maybe it was the crap city streets, but the wear pattern was awful They were very smooth til about 17k. They would chatter like crazy on the highway.

The Toyo Open Country was way more quiet and way mor smooth on highway and through the fine Chicago streets. Way less jarring. I had both of these on the same Yukon XL. The Toyo's second. I run Nitrogen so the pressure stays very even. Run the 285/70/17. The Toyo performed so much better it's probably the smoothest and most quiet AT tire I have had. Owned 4 sets. Maybe bad set of Nittos?

I wanted to change it up a bit so decided to give Hankook try on a recommendation from some buddies who swear by them for actual off road and farm type stuff in the snow and what not. So far 37k on them they are still smooth. Little louder, but they have bit more bite n traction in the snow than the Toyo from my experience.