PDA

View Full Version : MasterCraft, Thank You for Being Unique

willyt
10-03-2013, 09:40 AM
http://www.tige.com/apex

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=800129

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=799908&page=3

I have never seen a more blatant copy of a boat or hull design in my life. this is like the hyundai knock off of a mercedes. Some people may not like the hips on the 10, 30, 46 and new star, but it's a unique. So MC, thank you for being willing to lead and not follow.

I don't rip on mfgrs alot, but *** tige, at least try to make it look different.

mikeg205
10-03-2013, 09:49 AM
lol... awesome willyt. mimicry is the sincerest form of flattery... ;) - who know's maybe they are oem'ing G's and just rebadging ;)

Double D
10-03-2013, 10:00 AM
Sure does look like a G23. That's embarrassing...

ttu
10-03-2013, 10:07 AM
wow, that bow looks horrible!! what a bad g copy!!

madcityskier
10-03-2013, 10:10 AM
I believe it was the great philosopher Jim Carey who said,"Plagiarism is the sincerest form of flattery.".

AlbertaSurfer
10-03-2013, 10:25 AM
I'm not a fan of the G series boats, but that thing bring ugly to another level. It looks like something Nautique rejected and Tige found in the trash.

bamabonners
10-03-2013, 10:49 AM
I absolutely LOOVE the hips on the MC line. It gives them such a good look. Looks much better than these tankers that Tige and CC are putting out.

Aric'sX15
10-03-2013, 11:35 AM
What a joke. To those of you who watched the reveal, it was even more poorly planned than the boat itself. Piss poor job tige. You even copied the angular design of the interior from the g, even to the extreme of the trim tab????

Aric'sX15
10-03-2013, 11:47 AM
Real original

madcityskier
10-03-2013, 11:52 AM
Now I get it. They added front grab rails. SWEET!

Traxx822
10-03-2013, 11:56 AM
Aric, There is a guy on the chain o lakes norther illinois with that exact boat. It is so tall, and so bulky. They had to step up and into it because it was 2.5 feet above the dock.

I really do not underatand this design.

And yes it is strikingly similar to the G

FourFourty
10-03-2013, 11:59 AM
May not apply to MC this time, but really puts zane's old commercial into perspective :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPMjkYzp5bU

Ryan
10-03-2013, 12:05 PM
Funny, I've seen these ASR banner ads on WW and they did nothing to motivate me to click. Had no idea it was for a new boat (big miss on the Tige digital strategy IMO). I like the surf board storage. It's got some smart features and appears to have a reclining driver's seat that MC's been talking about since August. Not sure who's shipping first. LED lights on the side are cool. I see no issue with Target going after demand for that type of boat. Original? No. I say good for Tige on being quick with this G copy - they were much slower to launch their pickle fork (though they still beat Bu by a mile).

I'm not buying one though cuz I don't want a wake that big, a need for a 3/4 ton truck, or the fuel bill. I much prefer MCs lower profile/gunwhale height. Especially compared to the size of this booty. I hope it comes with a step stool, cuz my little kids would struggle to climb over that monster transom.

I'm surprised at two things though. 1) With all that freeboard girth, I'm surprised the platform mounted as low as it is vs the G where it's clear that the running surface will be pressing deeper into the water. 2) What happend to that tail-surf-boarding-step-thingy? With all the tech from Bu & CC, where's there's?

AlbertaSurfer
10-03-2013, 01:50 PM
Tige has an ugly tower... There, I said it

scott023
10-03-2013, 01:57 PM
What a shame.

jakethebt
10-03-2013, 03:51 PM
Those are some ugly boats. The design is so busy I can not even tell what some of the different parts are. The interior gives me a headache just looking at it. One thing is for sure, as long as they keep making $60k to $80k boats look like this, my 205 will be worth what I paid for it for years to come.

501s
10-03-2013, 04:13 PM
60-80? That boat is definitley over $100k

Indyxc
10-03-2013, 04:45 PM
Folks, Mark October 2nd at 11:45 PM Est (or whenever the video actually started, after 30 mins of watching people walk through the buffet table), as the day the wakeboat revolution began.

Tige really has made a game changer with the Tige Asser. It will go down in marine history to similiar to how certain aircraft were ground breaking in the aviation world.

A couple of days similiar were Dec 13 1968 with the TU-144 first flight, also know as the Concordski, read about it here,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tupolev_Tu-144

Or November 15th 1988 with the First Flight of the Buran (Spaceshutteski)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buran_(spacecraft)

All joking aside, it is sad how blantantly and unoriginal the Asser design is. You heard the name here first.

jbkriss
10-03-2013, 05:33 PM
The wake plate, transom shape, and walkthru sunpad are practically identical. The dash, tower, and vinyl are the only things that look different.

bamabonners
10-03-2013, 05:49 PM
I have to laugh at tige for copying the piG23. They are both ugly. THIS is a good looking boat:

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=101458&stc=1&d=1379940771

Ryan
10-03-2013, 05:54 PM
Folks, Mark October 2nd at 11:45 PM Est (or whenever the video actually started, after 30 mins of watching people walk through the buffet table), as the day the wakeboat revolution began.

Tige really has made a game changer with the Tige Asser. It will go down in marine history to similiar to how certain aircraft were ground breaking in the aviation world.

A couple of days similiar were Dec 13 1968 with the TU-144 first flight, also know as the Concordski, read about it here,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tupolev_Tu-144

Or November 15th 1988 with the First Flight of the Buran (Spaceshutteski)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buran_(spacecraft)

All joking aside, it is sad how blantantly and unoriginal the Asser design is. You heard the name here first.

LOL - Very funny.

Retoxtony
10-03-2013, 05:56 PM
Definitely ugly as sin and obviously a knock off of the G series. But like some on WW have pointed out, if it throws a surf and wakeboard wake like the g series but for a lot less cash there will be a market for it.

MattsCraft
10-03-2013, 06:00 PM
I have to laugh at tige for copying the piG23. They are both ugly. THIS is a good looking boat:

Ha, I called the G a tank, piG23 is perfect:D

kgrove
10-03-2013, 09:19 PM
Definitely ugly as sin and obviously a knock off of the G series. But like some on WW have pointed out, if it throws a surf and wakeboard wake like the g series but for a lot less cash there will be a market for it.

Bingo.

I'd be worried if I was Mastercraft. This is NOT saying I like the new Tige. I didn't think it was possible to make a boat uglier than the G23 without it having shrimp nets on board, but somehow Tige managed to do so. Im saying if somebody can produce a wake similar to a G23 or XStar and do it for 30% less money, they will definitely attract customers. If Tige copied the G23's performance as much as it looks like they copied the hull and they come in at $90K price point, they will steal some market share from both Nautique and Mastercraft.

dvsone79
10-04-2013, 11:05 AM

This. I think the G is ugly, but the wake behind it is a thing of beauty. If the Tige knockoff can even come close to the G, I'd ride behind it. But I'm a wakeboard whore. I'll ride behind anything if it throws a nice wake and the water is good!

spenchey
10-04-2013, 11:38 AM
If anything this makes the G look better! Should pick up some customers on the G.

A very well equipped Z3 is ~130k. This boat will be north of that for sure.

My friend buys a new tige every year. The last few years he has had the worst problems with them. The first time we took his Z3 out this year the tranny blew up. 3 hours on the boat. Thats not even the worst story.

For an extra 10-15k, i'd be buying a MC.

thamax
10-04-2013, 12:17 PM
so there is no convex vx on this new hull? any pics in the water it has to ride super high. at least it will hard to swamp when turning around loaded down with the 1.5 tons of ballast onboard

Aric'sX15
10-04-2013, 03:32 PM
the convex vx is such a joke. should just be called a hull extension!

Nick911
10-05-2013, 11:17 PM
I don't normally criticize other manufactures but this Tige, as they all are BTW, is absolutely hideous! Why ANYONE would buy a Tige over MC, Bu, CC or even MB is beyond me...

craig3972
10-06-2013, 01:05 AM
I don't normally criticize other manufactures but this Tige, as they all are BTW, is absolutely hideous! Why ANYONE would buy a Tige over MC, Bu, CC or even MB is beyond me...

There are a lot of people out there with very little or poor taste in boats. I believe that MC employs a naval architect.

scott023
10-06-2013, 11:24 AM
The two of them just look bloated to me... Can't describe them any other way.

swatguy
10-06-2013, 05:11 PM
It for sure is blatant ripoff. I can't stand the sea deck /non carpeted look. That stuff in my eyes will not wear well at all. Hit it with a power washer and kiss it goodbye. I'll take snap out carpet any day of the week.

Apparent everyone here buys boats on looks alone. Call me crazy, but I buy a boat based on my needs and performance not style alone. While I will never be in the market for a 23 foot beast I would take one of these or a G over any boat in the MC line that needs ballast bags everywhere, and takes rollers over the transom or bow when weighted. I don't need the lecture on how to drive. Trust me I know how.

I will 100% agree the new hipped and pervious X Star are sexy and sleek indeed, but again performance is key for me. If this thing performs anywhere near a G it's a home run. Just my .02. Tige prices to me are way out of whack. Their boats are marked up way to high for the attention they pay to their finished product. That is why all their boats at my local dealership are going for 25-30% off MSRP right now.

FourFourty
10-07-2013, 11:02 AM
Apparent everyone here buys boats on looks alone. Call me crazy, but I buy a boat based on my needs and performance not style alone. While I will never be in the market for a 23 foot beast I would take one of these or a G over any boat in the MC line that needs ballast bags everywhere, and takes rollers over the transom or bow when weighted. I don't need the lecture on how to drive. Trust me I know how.

I will 100% agree the new hipped and pervious X Star are sexy and sleek indeed, but again performance is key for me. If this thing performs anywhere near a G it's a home run. Just my .02. Tige prices to me are way out of whack. Their boats are marked up way to high for the attention they pay to their finished product. That is why all their boats at my local dealership are going for 25-30% off MSRP right now.

Only a couple holes in this, swatguy....... A G23 takes water over the transom a LOT easier than an XStar. Granted, if it wasn't for the walk through, this wouldn't be a problem. Also, because the new Star likes rear weight, it doesn't take water over the bow, like the last gen did.

And "ballast bags everywhere"??. No ballast bags are needed for wakeboarding, and the wake is just as big as a G23. For surfing, yes, a bag in the locker sure improves the surfing wake. Another in the coffin will help even more. You may not need to do this in a G23, and no doubt NSS is a game changer, but you still need bags in a G23 to get a huge surf wake.... So, yes, an XStar is going to require more weight in bags, than a G. But the guys with Gs are still filling bags anyhow.

Also, I should hope that looks are major consideration for anyone buying a 100k boat......

As far as wake performance...... I won't beat that WW assassinated horse....

scott023
10-07-2013, 12:25 PM
Only a couple holes in this, swatguy....... A G23 takes water over the transom a LOT easier than an XStar. Granted, if it wasn't for the walk through, this wouldn't be a problem. Also, because the new Star likes rear weight, it doesn't take water over the bow, like the last gen did.

And "ballast bags everywhere"??. No ballast bags are needed for wakeboarding, and the wake is just as big as a G23. For surfing, yes, a bag in the locker sure improves the surfing wake. Another in the coffin will help even more. You may not need to do this in a G23, and no doubt NSS is a game changer, but you still need bags in a G23 to get a huge surf wake.... So, yes, an XStar is going to require more weight in bags, than a G. But the guys with Gs are still filling bags anyhow.

Also, I should hope that looks are major consideration for anyone buying a 100k boat......

They sure as heck are for me.

chriscraftmatt1976
10-07-2013, 12:31 PM
I still can't believe anyone would drop 100+k on a wake boat. I used to sell them, and found it crazy. Most the guys I sold one to are Wallys with money. Very select few were guys that can actually utilize the boat for what it's meant to do.

agarabaghi
10-07-2013, 12:44 PM

Been pulling a few pro's behind their 2013 xstars... and well they all run stock + PnP + 750 in middle and trangle wedge ontop... sorry but that is sacs everywhere.

Insane wake i can barely hit, but still sacs everywhere.

FourFourty
10-07-2013, 01:25 PM
Been pulling a few pro's behind their 2013 xstars... and well they all run stock + PnP + 750 in middle and trangle wedge ontop... sorry but that is sacs everywhere.

Insane wake i can barely hit, but still sacs everywhere.

:facepalm:

I never said you couldn't and wouldn't. Especially when we are talking about pro's. My point was that, with stock ballast, the wakeboard wake is the same size as a G23 with stock ballast.

I am assuming that you knew what I meant, and the pros riding Gs are doing the exact same thing..... For anybody who is not a Pro, the XStar wake, with stock ballast, is already too big.

agarabaghi
10-07-2013, 01:47 PM
:facepalm:

I never said you couldn't and wouldn't. Especially when we are talking about pro's. My point was that, with stock ballast, the wakeboard wake is the same size as a G23 with stock ballast.

I am assuming that you knew what I meant, and the pros riding Gs are doing the exact same thing..... For anybody who is not a Pro, the XStar wake, with stock ballast, is already too big.

Ahh, i gotcha. Yea they are sac'in out the G23 as well. Both throw amazing wakes. I personally like the xstar more.

FourFourty
10-07-2013, 02:02 PM
Ahh, i gotcha. Yea they are sac'in out the G23 as well. Both throw amazing wakes. I personally like the xstar more.

:toast:

I am not actually sure which one I like more.

Aric'sX15
10-07-2013, 02:23 PM
Personally fourfourty, I am deeply in love with your 13 x star. You literally set my benchmark for when I buy my own boat in a few years... lol

willyt
10-07-2013, 02:24 PM
eric, if you can get the city of columbus to change our 22ft limit on griggs i'll buy your 13 star....

FourFourty
10-07-2013, 02:44 PM
Personally fourfourty, I am deeply in love with your 13 x star. You literally set my benchmark for when I buy my own boat in a few years... lol

Thank you, sir. This is my favorite boat I have ever owned. Only thing that may have made me happier would be Fire red flake. :D

eric, if you can get the city of columbus to change our 22ft limit on griggs i'll buy your 13 star....

Well, we all know the XStar is more like a 22 footer anyhow. Maybe you could argue that? Or simply cut the tines of the front. :D

We shall see, if it sells anyhow. I am sticking to my guns on price...... For the first time, I don't care if I get a new boat, or not. Considering I have purchased a new one, every year, for 7 years in a row....... I think that says a lot.

scott023
10-07-2013, 03:02 PM
Thank you, sir. This is my favorite boat I have ever owned. Only thing that may have made me happier would be Fire red flake. :D

Well, we all know the XStar is more like a 22 footer anyhow. Maybe you could argue that? Or simply cut the tines of the front. :D

We shall see, if it sells anyhow. I am sticking to my guns on price...... For the first time, I don't care if I get a new boat, or not. Considering I have purchased a new one, every year, for 7 years in a row....... I think that says a lot.

It certainly does. It is a stunning boat.

swatguy
10-07-2013, 04:30 PM

I am talking strictly pro caliber riders here. I mentioned bow and stern because the 03-11 bow had to be watched like a hawk and and the 13's transom now takes that over because of its hull wanting all you can throw at it in the transom like you mention. Again I am talking pro caliber riding here which is what these boats are designed for. Your average joe and 90 percent of the people don't "need" it weighted that way , but if you look at any pros boat the Star still needs sacs on the floor taking up space whereas the G does not. Again these are pro caliber boats designed for pros to be slammed so only fair to comment on the top echelon performance these boats are going after because the people that buy them will no doubt try and emulate that wake even if they don't need it. It's way more wake than 99% of riders need. While sure the stock 13 weight wake is nice it needs at least another 1500 -2000 to get your money's worth out of it if you ask me. The 25's wake is on par with the stock 13 Star.

For most of us an extra k or so can be hidden easily in almost any boat, but to reach the full potential the Star still needs fat sacs not plumbed in sitting out in the open taking up space. I have been behind the wheel of a G half dozen times with 5200 lbs in it. Not one sac visible. Never once came close to taking water over transom in the walk through. I have not heard of that being a problem either. If it is that would be news to me. I have only been in a 13 star once set up to the max with custom fitted rear locker sacs and it definitely sat low an had to be watched because of the new weight balance ratio. Either way both of these and now this third Tige are throwing monsterous wakes that I don't need and progressing the sport a ton.

To me the most epic fail at a flagship is the new Supra SA. When you load that thing up with the weight it sits as low as prostar 190 and takes about just as much water on.

Traxx822
10-07-2013, 10:05 PM
All this talk about pros. Are we talking wakeboarding or wakesurfing?

If it's wakeboarding, there are no pros in competition with bags in any manufacturers.

If it is wakesurfing the same goes for them.

So when there is all this talk about pros being sacked out. It's not in competition, where it really only matters anyways.

Tige unfortunatly rules the wakesurf circuit. And MC has a decent stronghold on wakeboarding.

I believe the new X46 has the potential to rock the wakesurf world and become a prime tow boat for the sport next year.

The xstar has the best wakeboard wake with stock ballast of any manufacturer.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

swatguy
10-07-2013, 10:46 PM

If it's wakeboarding, there are no pros in competition with bags in any manufacturers.

Just quick 2 second search of a PWT stop boat, besides my own experience. Just sayin. I can assure you knowing the ballast configs for all the PWT boats until 2013 that all have extra in them dating back to 2000. I don't know the exact 2013 setup just yet, just rumors I have heard, but it is also extra. That green Star is my dream boat.

JRW160
10-07-2013, 10:48 PM

If it is wakesurfing the same goes for them.

So when there is all this talk about pros being sacked out. It's not in competition, where it really only matters anyways.

Tige unfortunatly rules the wakesurf circuit. And MC has a decent stronghold on wakeboarding.

I believe the new X46 has the potential to rock the wakesurf world and become a prime tow boat for the sport next year.

The xstar has the best wakeboard wake with stock ballast of any manufacturer.

Are you saying they don't run anything over stock ballast in competition? That is definitely false

I haven't ridden behind a new xstar, but the g23 wake is pretty incredible with stock ballast.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

Traxx822
10-07-2013, 10:52 PM
Well then I stand corrected. All of the comps I had ever been to used stock ballast only.

scott023
10-07-2013, 11:32 PM
They are most certainly saced out in competition.

Traxx822
10-07-2013, 11:42 PM
I am more knowable on wakesurf comps. And in those they do not add ballast. None of the Tige sponsored events use extra ballast.

scott023
10-07-2013, 11:46 PM
I am more knowable on wakesurf comps. And in those they do not add ballast. None of the Tige sponsored events use extra ballast.

I've never been to a comp, but I've seen plenty o'pics.:D

MLA
10-07-2013, 11:53 PM

Yes, they do run extra ballast in Tige sponsored events. Its no secret. Go to wake9.com and you will find the Z3 setup thats been used. Now with the new VX, they are actually running more then last years Z3 setup.

Traxx822
10-08-2013, 12:13 AM
I thought we were talking about bags all over their seats. And EWT didn't run extra ballast. Nor a few others. Nothing later up on seats though. Show me these pics of surf comps with bags all over the interior please.

Traxx822
10-08-2013, 12:17 AM
Worlds, EWT, 10000 lakes, Surf this, wake the desert. All hidden ballast. 750's in locker. Nothing showing.

FourFourty
10-08-2013, 12:19 AM
I haven't ridden behind a new xstar, but the g23 wake is pretty incredible with stock ballast.

True that. They are a completely different shape, but both equally incredible.

Swat- I can honestly say that I haven't seen a problem with the G taking water over the back when wakeboarding. That being said, I have witnessed it a few times when surfing. (with only stock ballast + a 500 up front) And the Gs are usually running a sack up in the walkway. Both surfing and wakeboarding. The G likes its nose down.

Nonetheless, both boats have ridiculous wakes, that are beyond 99.9% of our abilities, with just stock ballast...... And both wakes get just plain scary with a pair of 750s in the lockers....So, if you need ballast bags all over, you are either a pro, or you really need to work on technique.

I can also say, first hand, that the 13 XStar stock wake is quite a bit bigger than the stock X25 wake..... If you have people in the bow, it is about the same. If the weight is all behind the windshield, it is a completely different animal.

MLA
10-08-2013, 08:49 AM
I thought we were talking about bags all over their seats. And EWT didn't run extra ballast. Nor a few others. Nothing later up on seats though. Show me these pics of surf comps with bags all over the interior please.

Not all over the seats, that space is reserved for judges and passengers. But, the boat is run with ballast well over the what comes in the boat from the factory. I interpreted your posts as not running ballast over whats offered from the factory.

JRW160
10-08-2013, 09:25 AM
Swat- I can honestly say that I haven't seen a problem with the G taking water over the back when wakeboarding. That being said, I have witnessed it a few times when surfing. (with only stock ballast + a 500 up front) And the Gs are usually running a sack up in the walkway. Both surfing and wakeboarding. The G likes its nose down.
I've driven a g23 a couple of times, and I found that you really have to be careful when slowing down after the rider falls or you will take water over the transom when wakeboarding. I had to slow down then time it right and give it a little more gas to outrun the giant rooster tail. I never had to worry about taking water over the nose though.

Traxx822
10-08-2013, 10:57 AM
Not all over the seats, that space is reserved for judges and passengers. But, the boat is run with ballast well over the what comes in the boat from the factory. I interpreted your posts as not running ballast over whats offered from the factory.

Thank you. Thats what I was saying. Swat was talking about slammed boats with ballast all over the seats in comp and then I'm shown one slammed boat from the PWT. The interior usually has 6 passengers on either wakeboard or wakesurf events. They do not have ballast all over the interior on most events. Maybe a double up boat, not one that needs judges, photographers and riders on deck.

Aric'sX15
10-08-2013, 12:13 PM
This thread took a wrong turn....

swatguy
10-08-2013, 12:14 PM
Traxx. I can assure you ballast was on the floor and was on the bow seats in PWT boats. Really if you don't want to believe me look at the pics provided of the PWT stop pre 13 boats. Again I can't speak for the setup on the 13 but all previous boats had bags in the open. Pre 03 x star included. They have always used a minimum of a walkway sac. Dating back to day one

The SA at Worlds the past two years also had them.

Nothing changes for the double up portion either except maybe guy wanting the driver to slow down a bit to boost up the wake in the setup. It's all identical. This is where Travis' skills shine

swatguy
10-08-2013, 12:27 PM
Not really. Still adding to the uniqueness the 13 Star is backwards of any other MC made. To boost up the wakes it likes the transom slammed whereas all other stars really loved bow weight. So another unique factor. ;)

501s
10-08-2013, 12:59 PM
I find on my 13 X-30, the more transom weight the better as well. We never need an extra sack up front (although I have a couple hundred pounds of lead up there).