PDA

View Full Version : Registration woes !!!

Traxx822
10-02-2013, 04:49 PM
I have been battling for two seasons with the state of Illinois to get my registration and title squared away.

First I had to pencil rub the Hull I'D, then take photos of engine serial numbers, then I had to wait forever to get a response. The rub and photos weren't good enough. I sent the exact same thing I sent before but the second time I included a note explaining the vessel and how it differed from normal boats.

It worked, then I got a letter saying they had no record of my $52 check. They had already cashed it. I sent them a copy.

You can not call them on the phone, no one will ever answer.

All last season and almost to the end of this season and it all finally arrived.

Leave this thread up for registration questions etc et al.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

cbryan70
10-02-2013, 05:11 PM
I just sent my paperwork in yesterday....I figured ill be lucky to get it by spring time....they are currently processing registrations that were applied for in april......ONLY IN ILLINOIS

Traxx822
10-02-2013, 05:20 PM
You are so right Bryan. Its this dam state.

I applied for my Wisconsin snowmobile registration this year and got it back in 4 days. Did everything online. Their sticker good for 3 years and is $20, in Illinois its good for 2 and is $30

Pat Quin the medicine woman needs to go

thatsmrmastercraft
10-02-2013, 05:22 PM
Minnesota has the same quick service and price structure as WI. Lots of lakes up here too. Wait...............................never mind.:rolleyes:

Traxx822
10-02-2013, 05:22 PM
I was also outside the villiage of Maywood pulling a permit the other day, I had to wait for the girl to come back for lunch so I went outside and saw this, I won't say, government employee take 45 minutes to weed whack all of about 100 feet. Which would take me all of 45 seconds.

I went back in asking for the commissioner and asking if the reason the permit fees were raised so they could pay this bum to milk 45 seconds of work over 45 minutes. I was told to "pipe down or be removed" I have written a letter to the mayor as well.

Such wastefulness.

Traxx822
10-02-2013, 05:24 PM
Minnesota has the same quick service and price structure as WI. Lots of lakes up here too. Wait...............................never mind.:rolleyes:

Can't have picked tracks in MN by state law (obviously on state land) So I don't get to sled MN all that much anymore.

Illinois just sucks sack

thatsmrmastercraft
10-02-2013, 05:24 PM
I was also outside the villiage of Maywood pulling a permit the other day, I had to wait for the girl to come back for lunch so I went outside and saw this, I won't say, government employee take 45 minutes to weed whack all of about 100 feet. Which would take me all of 45 seconds.

I went back in asking for the commissioner and asking if the reason the permit fees were raised so they could pay this bum to milk 45 seconds of work over 45 minutes. I was told to "pipe down or be removed" I have written a letter to the mayor as well.

Such wastefulness.

Classic government worker.

Bet this isn't the first time these words were said to you. :D:D

Traxx822
10-02-2013, 05:28 PM
Classic government worker.

Bet this isn't the first time these words were said to you. :D:D

Nope, not the first, not the last. Mark Kirk's office fields my calls to voicemail. Durbins hangs up on me. I'm expecting the IRS any day now.

It drives me nuts when I see cops not wearing seat belts and government workers being extremely inefficient. And I speak up about it.

bturner2
10-02-2013, 05:35 PM
Michigan has been broke for the past five years or more and you can still walk in and walk out with a title in under an hour if you plan your visit correctly. Just remember you have the best bought government money can buy!

thatsmrmastercraft
10-02-2013, 06:38 PM
Nope, not the first, not the last. Mark Kirk's office fields my calls to voicemail. Durbins hangs up on me. I'm expecting the IRS any day now.

It drives me nuts when I see cops not wearing seat belts and government workers being extremely inefficient. And I speak up about it.

Well, you know what they say........................the squeaky wheel gets the audit. :rolleyes: :D :D

Rockman
10-02-2013, 09:37 PM
Well, you know what they say........................the squeaky wheel gets the audit. :rolleyes: :D :D

That is correct!

Traxx-I owe my guy down at the DNR in Springfield a bottle of scotch now...told him when your registration papers showed up to keep them in his desk drawer until summer was over. :D

Glad you got it taken care of...finally.;)

Indyxc
10-02-2013, 10:20 PM
Michigan has been broke for the past five years or more and you can still walk in and walk out with a title in under an hour if you plan your visit correctly. Just remember you have the best bought government money can buy!

Michigan isn't broke anymore on a state level, check your facts.

In michigan you get your title usually a week after you apply.

Traxx822
10-02-2013, 11:46 PM
Traxx-I owe my guy down at the DNR in Springfield a bottle of scotch now...told him when your registration papers showed up to keep them in his desk drawer until summer was over. :D

Glad you got it taken care of...finally.;)

The separate envelopes containing title in one and stickers in another all in a large manila envelope makes your story kinda believable.

I am very glad to see it.

mikeg205
10-03-2013, 12:22 AM
Congrats and our state isn't officially shut down...lol

Rockman
10-03-2013, 07:07 AM
The separate envelopes containing title in one and stickers in another all in a large manila envelope makes your story kinda believable.

I am very glad to see it.

Separate envelopes...same thing here. We got the stickers one week and the title the next...:rolleyes:

malibu-dale
10-03-2013, 07:29 AM
I'm in Illinois also. Closed paperwork on my 2013 X-10 back in early April. got title and registration for trailer in about 30 days or so. We are now into October and haven't seen anything for title or registration for the boat!

mikeg205
10-03-2013, 08:58 AM
I'm in Illinois also. Closed paperwork on my 2013 X-10 back in early April. got title and registration for trailer in about 30 days or so. We are now into October and haven't seen anything for title or registration for the boat!

Do you boat on Clinton Lake? - Ranger Rick does love hanging there.

2010Prostar197
10-03-2013, 10:33 AM
We boat on Clinton

Where is ranger Rick hiding ???

Thrall
10-03-2013, 12:21 PM
Reason #37263 that I left IL in '95 at first chance and haven't been back for more than a quick trip to visit!
Took my buddy in Fox Lake almost the whole season to get his registration too a cpl yrs ago. Apparently an out of state purchase is too much to comprehend!

Traxx822
10-03-2013, 12:35 PM
Reason #37263 that I left IL in '95 at first chance and haven't been back for more than a quick trip to visit!
Took my buddy in Fox Lake almost the whole season to get his registration too a cpl yrs ago. Apparently an out of state purchase is too much to comprehend!

Thats exactly it. Since I bought it out of state, they seemed to need an exuberant amount of material to prove you actually have the vessel you sent a title in for.

madcityskier
10-03-2013, 12:42 PM
I wonder if it would be easier to register out of state and then transfer title when its already in your name?

Traxx822
10-03-2013, 12:47 PM
Why not just keep the title in a different state? Would it matter if the title was in my name? I think there are rules about "longer than 90 days" has to be registered in the state the boat is most used. I get away with titling my sleds in WI because I ride mostly in WI. But i bet you are right. It might just be easier to title in another state. I mean who is going to know your not just a traveler?

thatsmrmastercraft
10-03-2013, 12:53 PM
Why not just keep the title in a different state? Would it matter if the title was in my name? I think there are rules about "longer than 90 days" has to be registered in the state the boat is most used. I get away with titling my sleds in WI because I ride mostly in WI. But i bet you are right. It might just be easier to title in another state. I mean who is going to know your not just a traveler?

I have my boat and sled registered in WI as I exclusively ride the sled in WI (MN 55 mph speed limit) and do the majority of my boating in WI as well. I used to store both boat and sled there, but keep them both in MN now.

cbryan70
10-03-2013, 12:56 PM
Thats exactly it. Since I bought it out of state, they seemed to need an exuberant amount of material to prove you actually have the vessel you sent a title in for.

Oh great....what all will I need to gather. I have sales contract, titles and registration all signed by the original owner.

Getting trailer plates was a breeze on the other hand.

Rockman
10-03-2013, 01:00 PM
Oh great....what all will I need to gather. I have sales contract, titles and registration all signed by the original owner.

Nothing else, that should be it.

Yes, trailer plate, title document and plate sticker...went to DMV and was in and out in 10 minutes.

H2ORidr
10-03-2013, 01:03 PM
Why not just keep the title in a different state?

Some people do that. My boat was owned and registered in KS but the title was from OK. The previous owner explained it to me and I half paid attention, but by that point I was checking out the boat to complete the sale and it was shiny. I am distracted by shiny. :o

Traxx822
10-03-2013, 01:04 PM

I would recommend sending in snapshots of the engine serial number and a pencil rub of the HULL ID including the two letters just outside of the line. Maybe even send multiple pencil rubs and multiple photos and one photo of the vessel. I printed them on printer paper and sent it all in.

Just for good measure.

As for the trailer you can just take that into the DMV and you shouldn't have any issues getting tags and title.

ahhudgins
10-03-2013, 01:33 PM
Nothing else, that should be it.

Yes, trailer plate, title document and plate sticker...went to DMV and was in and out in 10 minutes.

Lucky you. I bought my boat in MI and towed it back to VA. MI dealer told me they don't title the trailer seperately like we do in VA. It took me 3 trips to DMV just to get tags for the trailer. During the last trip the teller pulled out a dusty old book in order to find the MI title laws. I told her that she can go online like I did and get the info. You should have seen the look she gave me.

madcityskier
10-03-2013, 08:32 PM
Some people do that. My boat was owned and registered in KS but the title was from OK. The previous owner explained it to me and I half paid attention, but by that point I was checking out the boat to complete the sale and it was shiny. I am distracted by shiny. :o

If you're distracted by shiney, what do the hips on the new boats do to you?

Indyxc
10-03-2013, 08:41 PM

I used to live in IL as well. Except Lake Michigan, and Chicago, there is nothing I miss about IL.

Traxx822
10-03-2013, 09:30 PM
I used to live in IL as well. Except Lake Michigan, and Chicago, there is nothing I miss about IL.

I'll add one more to that for me. ... Work.

And maybe our Stanley Cup Champion Blackhawks :cool: