PDA

View Full Version : first time doing my own service questions

chevyluv
09-30-2013, 01:22 PM
So I'm getting ready to service my 2001 x star / winterize. A family friend who is has owned boats for years is going to come help walk me through it and check some things over for me. I just need to pick up fluids and filters first.

First question is the motor says it should taln penzoil 15w30 marine oil. Is standard motor oil the same can I just run a synthetic 15w30 or doea it need to be marine.

Second my transmission apears to have some sort of synthetic transmission oil in it not sure which. I see some people are saying the hurth should have 15w30 and some say dexron 3 which is best and how well should the old be flushed.

And lastly does anyone know the kn oil filter number for the 5.7 litre vortec northstar edition motor or should I run something diffrent.

The dealer I bought it from went out of buisness so thwy arnt any help

chevyluv
10-01-2013, 03:20 PM
Ok got everything figured out except what fluid to put in the tranny. Should I go 15w40 shell rotella like the motor or a dexron synthetic. Also how much fluid should it take I'm haveing a heck of a time finding the info

mikeg205
10-01-2013, 03:32 PM
which hurth transmission? my last discussion with a ZF Hurth Tech was not to use straight synth ATF - could cause slippage - I use Castrol Transmax Dexron VI - good replacement for Dexron III. Unless you see some seepage I would stay way from anything that swell seals... .02

Manual mentions Transmission fluid but not what type so tranny model important

chevyluv
10-01-2013, 03:38 PM
I think I got a synthetic dexron 4 actualy said suitable for dexron 3 aplications I only got 2 quarts though I saw some places said 2 quarts now I see some say 5

mikeg205
10-01-2013, 03:41 PM
Which hurth? Synth is okay for use in automobile transmission. Pure synth to slippery ironically. measure what you take out and replace with same amount.

PureInboards
10-01-2013, 03:54 PM
X Star has the Hurth as mentioned above and these run the same oil as the engine as per Indmar service advisory from way back (can find it if you want) This oil has been used for years in the Hurth gearbox and for 1000's of hours with no issues as it reduces the rattles

mikeg205
10-01-2013, 04:03 PM
X Star has the Hurth as mentioned above and these run the same oil as the engine as per Indmar service advisory from way back (can find it if you want) This oil has been used for years in the Hurth gearbox and for 1000's of hours with no issues as it reduces the rattles

^^^ Correct - I remember this going by... thanks Pure

chevyluv
10-01-2013, 04:07 PM
Sounds good so run 15w40 rotella shell aswell engine and trans. How much fluid should it take? I've seen some say 1-2 quarts other say 4-5. I've been having a heck of a time tracking down the info thanks for the help

mikeg205
10-01-2013, 04:11 PM
How much did you take out? heres the manual it say 2.5 to 3 quarts

http://www.mastercraft.com/assets/manual/22.pdf

chevyluv
10-01-2013, 04:33 PM
How much did you take out? heres the manual it say 2.5 to 3 quarts

http://www.mastercraft.com/assets/manual/22.pdf

Cool thanks for the help