PDA

View Full Version : anybody ever change there Marine Flame Arrestor?

pbgbottle
09-29-2013, 09:24 PM
hey just curious if anybody here has changed out there Flame Arrestor and noticed any difference

i read somewhere that a good flame arrestor could gain u more rpm on the top end than changing your prop ,a better flowing or bigger flame arrestor will allow more air into the motor letting that bad boy to really breathe lol

i see K&N makes some ,but a bit pricey
has anybody ever upgraded thiers
and are there any other options out there

just curious it may be something to consider upgrading

cheers

JimN
09-29-2013, 11:10 PM
hey just curious if anybody here has changed out there Flame Arrestor and noticed any difference

i read somewhere that a good flame arrestor could gain u more rpm on the top end than changing your prop ,a better flowing or bigger flame arrestor will allow more air into the motor letting that bad boy to really breathe lol

i see K&N makes some ,but a bit pricey
has anybody ever upgraded thiers
and are there any other options out there

just curious it may be something to consider upgrading

cheers

If yours has the metal mesh, you won't find one that flows better. What you might benefit from is cleaning your regularly. This was the one think I noticed that most people neglected than anything else.

pbgbottle
09-29-2013, 11:42 PM
Cool thanks yes I do have the small round one
That sits on top of a 4160 and
I do clean my regularly.
So I guess I'll save the money.
So u think the metal mesh one flows
Quite freely ? It does look small tho
Compared to when u look at an automotive
14 inch diameter one. Lol.
Cheers. I'll just keep cleaning mine

iPhone using Tapatalk

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
09-29-2013, 11:50 PM
I do clean my regularly.

iPhone using Tapatalk

You could temporarily remove your existing one and take it on a test drive that will answer your question.

Topp dawg
09-29-2013, 11:50 PM
What is the process of cleaning it? I am not sure mine has ever been cleaned or changed.

mikeg205
09-29-2013, 11:55 PM
Soak in total amazing cleaner - rinse - reinstall

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
09-29-2013, 11:56 PM
What is the process of cleaning it? I am not sure mine has ever been cleaned or changed.

Metal flame arrestor can be cleaned with a few different chemicals such as brake cleaner, simple green etc. if you have a cloth flame arrestor similar to a k&n, use a k&n cleaning kit and reoil.

mikeg205
09-30-2013, 12:04 AM
Metal flame arrestor can be cleaned with a few different chemicals such as brake cleaner, simple green etc. if you have a cloth flame arrestor similar to a k&n, use a k&n cleaning kit and reoil.

put it in the dishwasher - just don't tell wifey.. ;) -

thatsmrmastercraft
09-30-2013, 12:12 AM
May as well put your combination wrenches in at the same time. Don't forget to lightly to the wrenches afterwards.:D:D

mikeg205
09-30-2013, 12:17 AM
May as well put your combination wrenches in at the same time. Don't forget to lightly to the wrenches afterwards.:D:D

Great idea... ;) -- sorry for the thread jack... ;)

JimN
09-30-2013, 12:46 AM
I do clean my regularly.

iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know if the engine would require more air flow than the small one allows, but if you want to try it, it won't hurt. Just make sure the new one isn't too high for the engine cover to close without crushing it. One reason a car air cleaner is larger is due to all of the dust that's in the air around cars and truck, unlike the relatively clean air in a boat.

pbgbottle
09-30-2013, 12:46 AM
You could temporarily remove your existing one and take it on a test drive that will answer your question.

I was. Going to try this for sure I am thinking
I may do it also with the engine box cover removed as well , that is if it ever stops raining out here on the coast.

Cheers.

iPhone using Tapatalk

east tx skier
09-30-2013, 11:17 AM
On cleaning it, get some spray carb cleaner. Spray the flame arrester from the inside-out. Let it dry thoroughly before reinstalling.

CC2MC
09-30-2013, 02:53 PM
It looks as though I will be doing this to mine. Added it to the winterization list.

bsloop
10-01-2013, 11:36 AM
The small metal flame arrestor will flow much better than any paper or foam filter. Simply, there is relatively nothing to restrict airflow and is perfectly fine in most marine applications.
If I wanted slightly more protection, consider a foam wrap (non oiled)

A good spray off with Carb or brake cleaner (I prefer carb) will clean off any deposits making it shiny and flow even better.

IMO, a K&N is worse than a flame arrestor. Look at almost any automotive air filter study. The KN outflows almost every filter but has the worst particle filtration. The really bad part is the oil residue from the KN has a nasty tendency to foul the Air Flow sensor and throttle body on fuel injected motors. This is most pronounced on subsequent cleanings when the user sprays too much oil on the filter.
I put one on my wife's Avalon thinking it was a good long term investment until I became more educated. My AF problems went away when I changed back to a standard filter. If you want long life and high filtration on a vehicle, Donaldson's PowerCore is about the best.

IF you want to waste money on a KN because it looks pretty to you, simply clean it and don't reoil if for marine use.

pbgbottle
10-01-2013, 12:04 PM
O K then,

i found it , this is where i read the info

http://www.marinemechanic.com/site/page120.html

i don't need a K&N , i just noticed they made one .
how about then has anybody ever put a bigger metal one on there boat

quote from link i just posted

"D. Flame Arrestor Size Selection

There is an old adage in marine calibration and it goes like this: "All marine engines must have a Coast Guard approved flame arrestor, and some arrestors are not properly suited for performance marine engine use." Tests have shown that flame arrestors have more to do with top vessel speed than some propellers. The flame arrestor is supposed to limit flame propagation in the event of a backfire, but some flame arrestors also seriously limit the amount of air available to the engine. The result is lower vessel speed and lower engine operating speeds. Engineering tests on a 305 Chevrolet engine revealed an increase of 300 RPM at wide open throttle by changing to a larger, less restrictive flame arrestor. Suffice it to say. in the case of approved flame arrestors. "Bigger is better."

just curious if anybody has ever tried a bigger one.

"cheers"

i clean mine quite often i also blow it out with my compressor after using carb clean ,etc,

Cloaked
10-01-2013, 05:42 PM
O K then,

i found it , this is where i read the info

http://www.marinemechanic.com/site/page120.html

i don't need a K&N , i just noticed they made one .
how about then has anybody ever put a bigger metal one on there boat

quote from link i just posted

"D. Flame Arrestor Size Selection

There is an old adage in marine calibration and it goes like this: "All marine engines must have a Coast Guard approved flame arrestor, and some arrestors are not properly suited for performance marine engine use." Tests have shown that flame arrestors have more to do with top vessel speed than some propellers. The flame arrestor is supposed to limit flame propagation in the event of a backfire, but some flame arrestors also seriously limit the amount of air available to the engine. The result is lower vessel speed and lower engine operating speeds. Engineering tests on a 305 Chevrolet engine revealed an increase of 300 RPM at wide open throttle by changing to a larger, less restrictive flame arrestor. Suffice it to say. in the case of approved flame arrestors. "Bigger is better."Hogwash and all the other hype. What a crock in my book.... I'm really stroking over 300 rpm that is pulling me down....

Use the OEM arrestor that is on it or a like-for-like replacement. You planning on taking it to the drag strip for a qualifying time?

It's a ski boat.... :rolleyes:

bsloop
10-02-2013, 10:02 AM
The stock MC arrestor should be fine in any stock motor application.

I would not doubt some of the small diameter, low profile options or something a person has cut down even shorter to accommodate aftermarket manifolds could start to have an impact.
A highly built motor with extra air flow may also benefit from a greater surface area or extended throat to smooth air flow.

Most stock motors are rpm governed or expected to maintain a specific rpm. A high winding modified motor may be an exception.

NatesGr8
10-02-2013, 10:36 AM
Anyone know where to buy a new flame arrestor? I'd like to swap mine out so i can have a spare clean arrestor at all times. The dog comes out with me and his hair always finds its way to the FA. My boat has the Indmar 6.0 LQ9 (i think thats the engine number).

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
10-05-2013, 01:25 PM
Anyone know where to buy a new flame arrestor? I'd like to swap mine out so i can have a spare clean arrestor at all times. The dog comes out with me and his hair always finds its way to the FA. My boat has the Indmar 6.0 LQ9 (i think thats the engine number).

LQ9 is Indmar part # 525021 GEN3

$89.99 http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=2301

$78.74, search # 81525021 http://www.charlotteskiboats.com/mastercraft_parts.cfm