PDA

View Full Version : DiversiTech Locking Aluminum Ball Mount

MikeyOrange88
09-25-2013, 11:57 PM
Does anyone have any experience with the Diversitech Locking Aluminum Ball Mount linked here?
http://www.trailerhitchsource.com/Ball-Mounts/DT-LBM8200-2-Drop-1-Ball-Hole-DT-Locking-Aluminum-Ball-Mount.html

They are a bit pricey, but it would eliminate the need for a separate hitch pin, or locking hitch pin in my case, as I would like to use a stainless steel ball with it. Pretty sure without a hitch pin lock I wouldn't have it very long. The ball mount is rated Class 5, 2000 lbs tongue load and 14,000 lb. tow rating. The keyed lock is built in and projects pins out each side to secure the hitch to the receiver.

Second choice might be a standard ball mount, but chrome plated instead of the standard black powdercoat. Just wonder if the wear of the ball mount against the receiver would wear through the chrome, making it flake off, etc. Separate hitch pin needed.

Third choice would be a standard ball mount made of stainless steel. I have no doubts about the finish on one of these, still would need separate locking hitch pin though.

Any comments or experience with either of the above would be welcomed.

MattsCraft
09-26-2013, 12:02 PM
I have one, works great, very quite and solid, does not rattle or clunk like the standard mounts.

bsloop
09-28-2013, 06:31 PM
I have had an adjustable DT for 6 years.
Lost one of the ball bearings couple years ago, don't notice daily rattle anyway.
It is rated for 14k but good luck finding a SS ball rated that high. About 10k will be your max but that is usually sufficient for 2".
I spray wd40 1-2 times a year to keep the lock lubed and avoid difficult turning.

Heavier trailers will usually use 2 5/16 which are not a problem finding higher ratings.
I use a $5 craftsman bag with alternate balls, wrenches and light adapters for 4,5,6 pin

MikeyOrange88
09-28-2013, 09:46 PM
Thanks for the replies. Think I'll try one. Just need to get the right drop/rise figured.
Strange thing, there is a 2" difference in the hitch height between my 2001 & 2005 Tahoes.

MikeyOrange88
10-11-2013, 09:50 AM
Just an update in case anyone else has their eyes on this brand of locking ball mount. I ordered a unit from Trailer Hitch Source on 10/1/13, one of the retailer/distributors listed on their website. Got a confirmation e-mail, but no tracking info, and no other communications. After a week or so, tried contacting them, no luck, but they had already charged my credit card (hate when they do that). Called Diversitech and they have apparently been bought by Progress Manufacturing Inc. They are both out of Utah, but they are moving the manufacturing to a single site and the order was listed as 'backordered.' The person I spoke with was helpful, and indicated that they actually would be the company that would drop ship the item directly to me and they confirmed the order, but said it would be approx. 4 weeks. They suggested checking a few other distributors such as e-trailer, which I did. None of them had anything in stock, and one of them indicated they had been backordered since June. So, not thinking the prospects were great that I would ever see my item, I canceled the order, and I'm working with them to provide a credit back.:(

Suggest anyone who wants one to call the retailer first and have them check the stock prior to ordering.
I ordered a chrome plated ball mount from Summit. It will be here on Monday.:D

bsloop
10-11-2013, 11:20 AM
Bummer you had back order trouble.
Did you look on Amazon? It appears most are in stock.

MikeyOrange88
10-11-2013, 12:09 PM
Dang it, and I was really wanting that model (Amazon had one left). I had called and checked with three others. They weren't listed on the Diversitech website as a retailer/distributor so I didn't think to check there. Oh well. Sigh....