PDA

View Full Version : Rub rail recommendations

MI_Corey
09-24-2013, 12:59 PM
After realizing my rub rail was peeling away from the boat on surf side I peeled the insert out and found that the po must have messed with it before. I have the style Maristar that the rub rail curves down under the swim platform. Stupid design IMO but it is what it is. Where the dip begins there are screws instead of rivets holding the rail on and where it makes the curve to wrap around the platform it is cracked. I was wondering if a different style rub rail would hold up better. I like the looks of the rails that have the stainless or aluminum over top of vinyl instead of the soft insert. Since the rail actually drags through the water a lot I'm thinking maybe it would have less drag on it and not want to pull away as much? Kind of just searching for some ideas and input here. I don't want to rivet the current one back on if it's just going to peel away again in a season or two. I have moved this to one of my first winter priorities though.

mikeg205
09-24-2013, 01:12 PM
Post some pictures. I redid mine with rivets and 3M5200

MI_Corey
09-24-2013, 02:35 PM
I'll try to get some pics up late tonight when I get home.

MI_Corey
09-24-2013, 09:33 PM
bad pics but you get the idea

mikeg205
09-24-2013, 11:01 PM
I replaced mine.... look at my profile for the finished product. I reused everything I had... took me a total of 4 hours I believe - 2.5 to remove - 1.5 to install.