PDA

View Full Version : Storage ideas

76S&S
09-23-2013, 02:24 PM
Now that I'm a bit seasoned (old) I've managed to accumulate a lot of "stuff" over the years. So now it becomes a challenge to store it all. Let's see your storage ideas, MC/Water related or not.

I'll go first. I lost my dad and father-in-law in the last few years. So between their fishing rods, mine, the kids, the wifes....you get the idea. I had to do something.

Simple wire closet shelving. On the side where I slide the rod butts in, I removed every other piece of wire. After taking this pic, I put a total of 41 rods in it. Next time I go to the lake I can take the rest of the rods and hang them up now.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/picture.php?albumid=458&pictureid=5677

ctjahn
09-23-2013, 06:00 PM
This is my new to me detached shop. All the shelving/work benches are modular built in 8' sections (some are 7' because they were on clearance). The upper shelves hang from the ceiling with no legs. The workbenches are attached to the walls and just have legs in front (Most)

I am lucky that we NOW have an attached garage for the boat and street cars first time ever..... (but I did a similar thing in my garage too - just shelves hanging from the ceiling, no legs, no work bench though)

I built most of it about 15 years ago and have moved it house to house. This is the latest setup in a 30 x 30 (although it has been a work in progress over the years - for example; I prefer to keep my tires lower now to reduce temperature cycles.); All moved when we moved (although my friends and family hated me by the end of the day...)

Rockman
09-23-2013, 07:03 PM
ctjahn,

How wide are you work tables?

I have some figuring to do this fall as I want to get the 190 in the 3rd call slot but need to make my work benches small enough to fit the boat but wide enough so they are useful.

GoinBoatin
09-23-2013, 07:39 PM
Not quite sure what that is in the bottom left of that pic but it looks fun as hell!!

ctjahn
09-23-2013, 08:31 PM
Rockman - The workbenches are 24"deep. Narrow enough to not take up too much room but still wide enough to be workable. Easy to create tops by cutting 4x8 sheet of wood into two sections 2' x 8' (mine are 2' x 4' so they are easy to move around) I also have rolling workbenches that roll under the workbenches you see in the pictures too (So I can put them away for space). If I have a moment I will snap a pic of how I did my 3 car garage to show the hanging shelves.

GoinBoatin - the white car in the picture is a 2012 Stohr DSR (like a Lemans Prototype but smaller). Powered by a modified GSXR 1000. Electrically controlled air actuated Paddle Shift, 750 pounds. Goes like stink. I have spent 20 years buying, selling, trading, rebuilding, and reselling cars to get to this car.... Just got it last winter. Only got two events in this year due to selling my old house after 5 years remodeling and buying a new to me house....

cj

Rockman
09-23-2013, 09:15 PM
Rockman - The workbenches are 24"deep. Narrow enough to not take up too much room but still wide enough to be workable. Easy to create tops by cutting 4x8 sheet of wood into two sections 2' x 8' (mine are 2' x 4' so they are easy to move around) I also have rolling workbenches that roll under the workbenches you see in the pictures too (So I can put them away for space). If I have a moment I will snap a pic of how I did my 3 car garage to show the hanging shelves.

GoinBoatin - the white car in the picture is a 2012 Stohr DSR (like a Lemans Prototype but smaller). Powered by a modified GSXR 1000. Electrically controlled air actuated Paddle Shift, 750 pounds. Goes like stink. I have spent 20 years buying, selling, trading, rebuilding, and reselling cars to get to this car.... Just got it last winter. Only got two events in this year due to selling my old house after 5 years remodeling and buying a new to me house....

cj

Cool! Thanks for the reply. we are closing our pool down for the winter this Saturday and will be working on the garage on Sunday.

ctjahn
09-23-2013, 09:40 PM
Here are the hanging shelves I promised in the 3 car attached. No... its not all painted and pretty. Built for function not pretty. If I had the time I would paint but.... priorities.

The shelves here are 24" deep again here. High enough I can walk under without hitting my head. And to park the ATV/Mower/blower/boats/etc below. Ski equipment is all in the basement...

But.... Both of these garages/shops have 10' ceilings which is huge.

Cj

Geezer1
09-23-2013, 11:37 PM
CT, your shelves don't have to be that high for you to walk under them!! LOL

cbryan70
09-24-2013, 12:02 AM
Here are the hanging shelves I promised in the 3 car attached. No... its not all painted and pretty. Built for function not pretty. If I had the time I would paint but.... priorities.

The shelves here are 24" deep again here. High enough I can walk under without hitting my head. And to park the ATV/Mower/blower/boats/etc below. Ski equipment is all in the basement...

But.... Both of these garages/shops have 10' ceilings which is huge.

Cj

What color is the flake on your ss?

ctjahn
09-24-2013, 08:17 AM
What color is the flake on your ss?

Dark Green stripe over light green; textured top. (grey and white interior)

Geezer1
09-24-2013, 10:56 AM
CT's boat is absolutely beautiful.

ctjahn
09-24-2013, 11:25 AM
CT, your shelves don't have to be that high for you to walk under them!! LOL

Yea, definitely not as tall as you!!!!

Thanks for the kind words on the boat. Too bad we didn't make it out this year with it....After all the work (Electronic Ign, new distrib, rebuilt carb, new sending unit in the tank, etc, etc, etc...... We were hurrying to finish and sell the house... then we finished it and BAM. Sold less than 24 hours after meeting with realtor, so we didn't even get to say "bye" to friends and neighbors.... then had to buy a new house and move in a big hurry!

If you are ever in the Hartford area, feel free to stop by!

H2ORidr
09-24-2013, 01:27 PM
I too have too much *stuff* and I do a lot of remodeling so I have need for storing stuff of similar categories. Example I have a box of copper sweating supplies and another box of PEX supplies. This way when I get to a place where the stuff is needed, I have everything in that one (or two) boxes.

So I came across these stackable and dividable boxes at GlobaIndustrial.com and they work great. So now I have boxes with stuff in them like an entire box of blue painter's tape (I get it for free. :D). And another box for all other kinds of tape. A box for waxing supplies, a box for supplies for covering up my blueberry plants, a box for painting supplies, drywall tools, etc. Over the years the number of boxes has grown but they are nearly indestructable and they can be stacked to the sky. The labels on some need to be updated, but overall it provides a nice neat and clean way to store a lot of stuff.

The only downside is they are not cheap. They are high quality and so quality costs $$$.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e179/drvermin/Storagebins9-24-13.jpg

Geezer1
09-24-2013, 04:12 PM
CT - sent you a PM