PDA

View Full Version : Caught a Coon!

stevo137
10-21-2005, 09:01 AM
My neighbor across the street had this damn varmint in his attic and it would find it's way into the garage and tear things up including knocking a ladder down on his truck.
That was it, trapper Stevo to the rescue!
I would say that he went about 20-25 lb. range...
He was a mean one too. Nasty varmints...

stevo137
10-21-2005, 09:06 AM
And of course I know a thing or two about trappin'... :D

bradamerry
10-21-2005, 09:09 AM
make me a hat Mr. 137.... Please.. :D

MarkP
10-21-2005, 09:28 AM
make me a hat Mr. 137.... Please.. :D
Dude,

I would have thought you already had a coon skin cap or two..

Iím disappointed/disillusioned..

Workin' 4 Toys
10-21-2005, 09:29 AM
Steve, how do you get the really mean ones out of the cage without them going nuts on you when you open it?

MarkP
10-21-2005, 09:32 AM
Maybe with a 22;)

stevo137
10-21-2005, 09:38 AM
Steve, how do you get the really mean ones out of the cage without them going nuts on you when you open it?
Pest control people use a noose pole. Turn the cage upright with the door facing up and place about three rods at different angles through the cage so they can't climb out, open the cage and noose em'.
I wouldn't attempt it!
You can hire them to take it away for a fee. Best option if you live in the city.
There are a few other options... :rolleyes:
(Keep in mind, they say that they can find their way back up to 20 miles!) Farmers shoot em' on sight.

Ric
10-21-2005, 09:40 AM
And of course I know a thing or two about trappin'... :D
It's important to spread out a couple of newspaper pages when hanging up varmits in the house

Workin' 4 Toys
10-21-2005, 09:42 AM
Pest control people use a noose pole. Turn the cage upright with the door facing up and place about three rods at different angles through the cage so they can't climb out, open the cage and noose em'.
I wouldn't attempt it!
You can hire them to take it away for a fee. Best option if you live in the city.
There are a few other options... :rolleyes:
I have a possum I was going to trap, but don't know what to do with it after its in there. And the "22" isn't a good option for me. How do I find one of these pest control people?

stevo137
10-21-2005, 09:50 AM
I have a possum I was going to trap, but don't know what to do with it after its in there. And the "22" isn't a good option for me. How do I find one of these pest control people?
Yellow pages, just call a few.
They will charge quite a bit to trap them so it's better to do it yourself.
Matter of fact, the neighbors two houses down from this guy had the same problem. They hired a company, paid $340 and they didn't catch it! The same company was the one that the guy across the street called to remove the coon from the cage and they asked me what I used to catch him!
They charged him $80 to transfer from my cage and remove.

3event
10-21-2005, 09:53 AM
how about filling up a garbage can with water, then drop the loaded trap in. after a few minutes, all you have is a disposal problem. heard of this being used on smaller game. wow, i'm thinking darkly for early in the morning.

Ric
10-21-2005, 09:54 AM
Yellow pages, just call a few.
They will charge quite a bit to trap them so it's better to do it yourself.
Matter of fact, the neighbors two houses down from this guy had the same problem. They hired a company, paid $340 and they didn't catch it! The same company was the one that the guy across the street called to remove the coon from the cage and they asked me what I used to catch him!
They charged him $80 to transfer from my cage and remove.
funny, this buddy of ours has a stevotrap and he brought it on a camping trip we all did at the lake.
next morning we hear it thrashing around and go out to take a peek. Mighty trapper caught him a housecat! :noface:

Ric
10-21-2005, 09:56 AM
how about filling up a garbage can with water, then drop the loaded trap in. after a few minutes, all you have is a disposal problem. heard of this being used on smaller game. wow, i'm thinking darkly for early in the morning.
ok 3 event, been watching too many haloween films?
my guess is that the firearm isnt the problem for toys, it's the killing that will get him into some trouble at home??

pilot02
10-21-2005, 10:15 AM

Can I say "CB Short" :cool:
Used plenty of those in my college days to get rid of varmints around the apt complex I managed.

Workin' 4 Toys
10-21-2005, 10:22 AM
ok 3 event, been watching too many haloween films?
my guess is that the firearm isnt the problem for toys, it's the killing that will get him into some trouble at home??
Actually, it is the firing off a round in the neighbor hood (unless it was into a perp. inside the house, NO PROBLEM THERE!). The killing I have no problem with. "Does that make me a bad person, or is it not P.C. nowadays". I fear this thing would get scared with the kids playing outside, and want to take a bite.

Workin' 4 Toys
10-21-2005, 10:23 AM
Can I say "CB Short" :cool:
Used plenty of those in my college days to get rid of varmints around the apt complex I managed.
I don't get it? Whats the CB?

sizzler
10-21-2005, 10:26 AM
mag......we are on the same wavelength....i was waiting for someone else to chime in :toast:

MarkP
10-21-2005, 10:27 AM
Actually, it is the firing off a round in the neighbor hood (unless it was into a perp. inside the house, NO PROBLEM THERE!). The killing I have no problem with. "Does that make me a bad person, or is it not P.C. nowadays". I fear this thing would get scared with the kids playing outside, and want to take a bite.
You could always offer it to the local Chinese restaurant..

Workin' 4 Toys
10-21-2005, 10:30 AM
mag......we are on the same wavelength....i was waiting for someone else to chime in :toast:
I wasn't going to..........

Mag_Red
10-21-2005, 10:30 AM
mag......we are on the same wavelength....i was waiting for someone else to chime in :toast: I never believed in being politically correct :D

Workin' 4 Toys
10-21-2005, 10:31 AM
You could always offer it to the local Chinese restaurant..

Man, this thread is getting raunchy!!!!!

MarkP
10-21-2005, 10:36 AM
Man, this thread is getting raunchy!!!!!
Iíll bet they would take it though.:vomit: .

LakePirate
10-21-2005, 10:45 AM
Ship him down to me, my dog would love to have a play toy.

Workin' 4 Toys
10-21-2005, 10:59 AM
That's funny.....;)

Andyg
10-21-2005, 11:13 AM

This reminds me of what happened at my house last week. I went into the upstairs bathroom, which we never use, and there was an extremely foul smell emanating from it. I looked in the toilet and there was a drowned flying squirrel. The little bugger came in through our attic access in the bathroom closet and must have gotten thirsty. I guess the wife hasn't trained me well enough to put the toilet seat down.

3event
10-21-2005, 11:33 AM
Yeah, but if you had the cover down, you would have a live squirrel running around inside your house !!!! Which is worse? Maybe a good argument for toilet cover / seat up! As if the wives would go for that.......

east tx skier
10-21-2005, 11:55 AM
We used to get them in our attic all the time when I was growing up. I think we took them out to a racoon farm in the country where they could run free and play. At least that's what they told me. ;)

Dude,

I would have thought you already had a coon skin cap or two..

Iím disappointed/disillusioned..

Mark, I've been laughing about this for 5 minutes and counting now.

As for .22 alternatives. A nice, tasty bowl of antifreeze is quiet, yet effective.

sizzler
10-21-2005, 11:58 AM
i think we did the same with our pet rabbits..........

nice chicken stew for the next few days i recall :cool:

Workin' 4 Toys
10-21-2005, 12:07 PM
We used to get them in our attic all the time when I was growing up. I think we took them out to a racoon farm in the country where they could run free and play. At least that's what they told me. ;)

Mark, I've been laughing about this for 5 minutes and counting now.

As for .22 alternatives. A nice, tasty bowl of antifreeze is quiet, yet effective.
I thought PETA got that antifreeze law passed so current formulas weren't bad for animals. Maybe it has not gone into effect yet.

east tx skier
10-21-2005, 12:11 PM
I thought that propylene glycol was okay for them, but the green stuff for the cars (ethylene glycol) was still "delicious, but deadly." Could be wrong.

In the spirit of the world series, I suppose there's always the Louisville Slugger.

erkoehler
10-21-2005, 12:14 PM
Leave some garbage outside the neighbors house, it'll never be your problem again :D Only if you don't like the neighbors.

RackAtak
10-21-2005, 12:17 PM

Chicken stew from a rabbit? I guess you can get anything to taste like chicken...

Workin' 4 Toys
10-21-2005, 12:28 PM
Chicken stew from a rabbit? I guess you can get anything to taste like chicken...
Maybe he calls their animals different things over there?!?!;)

Workin' 4 Toys
10-21-2005, 12:29 PM
Leave some garbage outside the neighbors house, it'll never be your problem again :D Only if you don't like the neighbors.
Thats just downright nasty. Or, perhaps they wouldn't mind the "22" being brought out if it were their problem....

Datdude
10-21-2005, 12:38 PM
finding some way to drown them is the best(especially in the city). I was thinking about Chinese for lunch today.....but not anymore, maybe I will just have some :popcorn:

Ron Grover
10-21-2005, 01:13 PM
I got soft in the brain one day at the county fair and bought my daughter a bunny as a pet. That thing lived for 8 years. She struggled over trying name it, she settled on Pepper, my suggestion was Stew Meat.

MarkP
10-21-2005, 01:14 PM
finding some way to drown them is the best(especially in the city). I was thinking about Chinese for lunch today.....but not anymore, maybe I will just have some :popcorn:
Dude

Its not realistic to expect coon or opossum for lunch at the Chinese restaurant, but I think you could reasonably expect pigeon.http://deephousepage.com/smilies/eat.gif.

east tx skier
10-21-2005, 01:23 PM
You ever looked inside an eggroll after you take a bite? I don't recommend it.

mitch
10-21-2005, 01:42 PM
My neighbor across the street had this damn varmint in his attic and it would find it's way into the garage and tear things up including knocking a ladder down on his truck.

He sure looks mean :)

Workin' 4 Toys
10-21-2005, 02:02 PM
You ever looked inside an eggroll after you take a bite? I don't recommend it.
Speaking of this, I think I am going to get some lunch at my local "El Gallo Burrito" and look inside. Can't be any of that in there..... Could there????

Dan K
10-21-2005, 02:11 PM
I don't get it? Whats the CB?

CB's are 22 shells with only a light load or nearly no load of powder, they are effective short range and sound like an air gun, no bang at all. Work great for chipmunks.

stevo137
10-21-2005, 03:44 PM
If you use this method, a standard can won't work due to the fact that it's not deep enough to submerge the entire trap.
Make sure that you measure the trap and container prior to, well, you know... :rolleyes:

east tx skier
10-21-2005, 03:48 PM
Speaking of this, I think I am going to get some lunch at my local "El Gallo Burrito" and look inside. Can't be any of that in there..... Could there????

After all this talk, I went home, microwaved some pecan smoked sausage I grilled last week. Rolled it up in a warm tortilla and had lunch. No, I did not look inside.

stevo137
10-21-2005, 03:56 PM
Discharging a firearm inside city limits is against the law. If you don't want to pay for the removal, just drown the damn thing.
Make sure the container is large enough to submerge the entire trap.
Fill the container and drop it in for 10-15 minutes for good measure. Some of these varmints handle the water very well, especially coons.
The pest contol company will just euthanise it anyway. Drowning isn't much different from the chamber that they use...

erkoehler
10-21-2005, 04:05 PM
WOW, I never would have thought I would hear this topic on TT today :eek:

stevo137
10-21-2005, 04:06 PM

LOL, looks like quite a few of us have a lot in common.
We also raised rabbits. When it was time, my trapper stepdad took care of business...

edwin
10-21-2005, 04:12 PM
Nice catch stevo...you'd be a perfect candidate for an air powered pellet gun. This 1000fps beauty might be ideal http://www.airgundepot.com/winchester-1000xs-pellet-rifle.html Best of all, these guns barely make a sound when you fire them.

stevo137
10-21-2005, 04:13 PM
He sure looks mean :)
They're mean, nasty varmints.

stevo137
10-21-2005, 04:15 PM
Nice catch stevo...you'd be a perfect candidate for an air powered pellet gun. This 1000fps beauty might be ideal http://www.airgundepot.com/winchester-1000xs-pellet-rifle.html Best of all, these guns barely make a sound when you fire them.
Nice Winchester! ;)

stevo137
10-21-2005, 04:24 PM
WOW, I never would have thought I would hear this topic on TT today :eek:
I thought that it would be interesting Erk... ;)

3event
10-21-2005, 04:41 PM
This is a pretty strange and humorous thread for TT !!!

SteveO , if the submersion thing works make sure you report later on: 40 gallon trash can, maximum varmint submersion weight and length. That could go on the FAQ thread. It would be another 100 posts to rate trap size vs. can.

Or just take the thing to the lake !!!!!!

Leroy
10-21-2005, 05:04 PM
I agree. This is way too much excitement over a coon......

Rockman
10-21-2005, 05:26 PM

Ba Ba Ba Boom...

I knew that one looked familiar. He wasn't eating the hotdogs was he? You know what those things are made of ... :D

milkmania
10-21-2005, 05:31 PM
I agree. This is way too much excitement over a coon......

you shoulda been here last night when the house dogs started barking....
a friggin peacock was in the back yard, and screamed out when I was looking to see what was out there......note: that's a real good way for a peacock to get shot!

you ever heard a peacock scream???
jeezmany! it'll scare the hell outta ya!

MarkP
10-21-2005, 06:31 PM
Never heard one scream but that sure is funny!

stevo137
10-21-2005, 07:20 PM
http://deephousepage.com/smilies/lurking.gif

Ric
10-21-2005, 07:29 PM
Discharging a firearm inside city limits is against the law. If you don't want to pay for the removal, just drown the damn thing.
Make sure the container is large enough to submerge the entire trap.
Fill the container and drop it in for 10-15 minutes for good measure. Some of these varmints handle the water very well, especially coons.
The pest contol company will just euthanise it anyway. Drowning isn't much different from the chamber that they use...
OR........ POW, put the gun away and run out the front door looking around "hey, what was that? a transformer blew?" ok

Leroy
10-21-2005, 08:08 PM
You can put them to sleep with a can of ether (think they still sell that to start cars with).

In an older house we had a coon trapped and come to find out this guy would take to another neighborhood and wait for the phone to ring! I think he even trapped and brought some into the suburbs when things got slow! :uglyhamme

Ric
10-21-2005, 08:12 PM
You can put them to sleep with a can of ether (think they still sell that to start cars with).

In an older house we had a coon trapped and come to find out this guy would take to another neighborhood and wait for the phone to ring! I think he even trapped and brought some into the suburbs when things got slow! :uglyhamme
haaaaaaaa a trained coon :rolleyes:
uhhhhh no comment mag

Thrall
10-21-2005, 08:13 PM
You guys crack me up! This is the funniest thread I've read in quite a while! Keep up the good work.
Oh, for the record, .22, good pellet gun, "tasty bowl of anti freeze", and watch the dogs have fun w/ this one, have all proven to work almost equally as well depending on the situation and size/quantity of the varmits.

stevo137
10-21-2005, 08:40 PM
http://deephousepage.com/smilies/musicband.gif

stevo137
10-21-2005, 08:48 PM
Oh, one more clarification.
The correct spelling is "varmint" not "varmit"...
http://deephousepage.com/smilies/znaika.gif

Mag_Red
10-21-2005, 08:56 PM
Just to clarify, this pic was taken when I was a very young poor boy with a step daddy trapper man.
We would run those traps on a cold winters night and he would throw them on the road from the ditch. I would run out of the car and fetch em'...
I'm doing much better now! :DCome on Steve.........just tell them it's a pic from Mag Mania. :moon:

Workin' 4 Toys
10-21-2005, 10:46 PM
Since I am going to have the "dunk tank" full and ready. Does anyone know how to keep a skunk from skunkin' you in order to get close enough with it in the cage in order to get it into the "pool" or does this varmint need the pellet before? Or would it aggrevate it more?

Leroy
10-21-2005, 10:50 PM
I don't know there are a lot of times I think back and wish I was there again! Looks like you were doing pretty good!

PS: I didn't think there is a correct spelling for varmit.

Just to clarify, this pic was taken when I was a very young poor boy with a step daddy trapper man.
We would run those traps on a cold winters night and he would throw them on the road from the ditch. I would run out of the car and fetch em'...
I'm doing much better now! :D

stevo137
10-21-2005, 11:16 PM
Since I am going to have the "dunk tank" full and ready. Does anyone know how to keep a skunk from skunkin' you in order to get close enough with it in the cage in order to get it into the "pool" or does this varmint need the pellet before? Or would it aggrevate it more?
I thought it was a possum?
http://deephousepage.com/smilies/hahaha.gif
Good luck with that skunk!!!

stevo137
10-21-2005, 11:23 PM
This reminds me of what happened at my house last week. I went into the upstairs bathroom, which we never use, and there was an extremely foul smell emanating from it. I looked in the toilet and there was a drowned flying squirrel. The little bugger came in through our attic access in the bathroom closet and must have gotten thirsty. I guess the wife hasn't trained me well enough to put the toilet seat down.
You're lucky.
Squirrel's can be worse than a coon. They chew on wiring once they get in...

Granite_33
10-21-2005, 11:41 PM
Ammonia, Ammonia, Ammonia.

I had a momma and babies in my chimney this spring. Damned thing tore the sh#t out of my gutter and downspout climbing up and down it every night........those were some sleepless nights.

I was going to do the same thing as you all said.........trap it......then put it in my garbage can full of water

The city animal control officer said to douse around where they were nesting with Ammonia. They have a very, very keen sense of smell and the ammonia drives them nuts.

They were nesting right behind a cleanout in my basement inside the chimney.

I doused the cleanout door and cracks with ammonia then climbed up on the roof and hung a rag soaked with ammonia inside of the chimney.

Gone the next day.

Shooting them sounds like more fun, though.

A cop had to come into my back yard about 4 years ago and shoot one with his Glock. It was getting waaay too aggressive, and was running around in daylight. That was nice to see........

stevo137
10-22-2005, 12:03 AM
Good tip...

erkoehler
10-22-2005, 03:03 AM
I can see it now. Honey, we have a raccoon in the attict, can you get it out of there! :mad: Sure, let me just go consult that MasterCraft site so I can determine the properly trapping, handling, and killing methods for the animal in question.

HA, :D

milkmania
10-22-2005, 12:31 PM
I can see it now. Honey, we have a raccoon in the attict, can you get it out of there! :mad: Sure, let me just go consult that MasterCraft site so I can determine the properly trapping, handling, and killing methods for the animal in question.

next thing ya know, we're gonna have someone come in here for answers on romancehttp://deephousepage.com/smilies/gossip.gif

stevo137
10-22-2005, 12:51 PM

Just goes to show the diversity of this bunch!
I'll bet you can get input on any subject in this forum...
This is OFF TOPIC DISCUSSION...

ski_king
10-22-2005, 12:55 PM
Steve, I don't know what you did with the coon, but this (http://www.netcooks.com/recipes/Game/Baked.Raccoon.html) and this (http://www.hugs.org/Stuffed_Roast_Racoon.shtml) my come in handy.

stevo137
10-22-2005, 01:05 PM
Steve, I don't know what you did with the coon, but this (http://www.netcooks.com/recipes/Game/Baked.Raccoon.html) and this (http://www.hugs.org/Stuffed_Roast_Racoon.shtml) my come in handy.
http://deephousepage.com/smilies/rofl5.gif

MM Good!

Too bad that my neighbor paid the pest control company to take it away.
We could have given it to the toolman.

erkoehler
10-22-2005, 05:47 PM

Do you actually like/use those recipes??? ANYONE??? sounds just nasty to me :mad:

ski_king
10-22-2005, 06:36 PM
I actually did have coon once years ago at a game feed I went to.
Also had squirrel, rabbit, possim, frog legs, venison, moose, elk, bear, buffalo and who knows what else. It was buffet style and I had a plate of a little bit of everything, by the time I sat down I didnt remember what was what. Some was very good, some was very bad........ something tells me the coon and possim were the very bad.

MarkP
10-22-2005, 06:51 PM
Do you actually like/use those recipes??? ANYONE??? sounds just nasty to me :mad:
Vittles is vittles!! No doubt in my mind that cooked right, anything can be tasty..

ski_king
10-22-2005, 06:57 PM
This cookbook may have some good recipes.
http://images.overstock.com/f/102/3117/8h/www.overstock.com/images/products//muze/books/1558532714

stevo137
10-22-2005, 06:59 PM
I actually did have coon once years ago at a game feed I went to.
Also had squirrel, rabbit, possim, frog legs, venison, moose, elk, bear, buffalo and who knows what else. It was buffet style and I had a plate of a little bit of everything, by the time I sat down I didnt remember what was what. Some was very good, some was very bad........ something tells me the coon and possim were the very bad.
You got me beat.
My best story is road kill squirrel.
Hey this is turning into the redneck thread...

erkoehler
10-22-2005, 07:33 PM
This topic is WAY off topic. Only to be found on the MC forum.

stevo137
10-22-2005, 07:36 PM
We're still talkin' bout' varmints...

MarkP
10-22-2005, 07:38 PM
I beg to differ my son!! http://deephousepage.com/smilies/eat.gif http://www.uktvfood.co.uk/index.cfm?uktv=messageboards.Thread&threadID=22724

erkoehler
10-22-2005, 07:39 PM
Only Mark would search to prove me wrong on this topic :moon:

MarkP
10-22-2005, 07:41 PM
Itís the internet my friend.. Everything, I mean everything is on the internet;)

Workin' 4 Toys
10-22-2005, 08:31 PM
I thought it was a possum?
http://deephousepage.com/smilies/hahaha.gif
Good luck with that skunk!!!
It is a possum, but I think the possum and a skunk meet regularly. Once the possums gone, I think the skunk will be a regular. I am ready to set up one of the 9mms with the laser site to take care of it. But......

MarkP
10-22-2005, 09:51 PM
Erk

Did you read that thread I posted a link to. I just did and it cracked me up!

erkoehler
10-22-2005, 11:50 PM
Erk

Did you read that thread I posted a link to. I just did and it cracked me up!

Pretty funy, some interesting thoughts on there.

Leroy
10-23-2005, 12:24 AM
Too funny Mark, this thread is headed for a long life!

MarkP
10-23-2005, 01:22 AM
Too funny Mark, this thread is headed for a long life!Oh, I'm tellin ya!!

I love this one

"I prefer my meat to be shop bought thanks. If I was driving through the countryside and found a sandwich on the floor I certainly wouldn't eat... so why would I do it with meat!!"

Workin' 4 Toys
10-23-2005, 10:45 PM
Ok, possum 1 is gone, would anyone like me to ship it to them? It is MOIST.....;)

Granite_33
10-24-2005, 01:59 PM
Here is a Post quote that caught my eye..........from Fudges Mum

"My husband grew up in Nigeria - in the jungle.
The locals used to put rats on the car engines if they ran them over. They'd be cooked when they got to their destination!! I think it was a case of eating free protein when it was available! "

Opportunistic folks........aren't they??

Another beauty.......I guess that makes sense.........

"It is actually illegal to take home road kill that you have killed. The guy in the car behind can take it but you shouldn't. It is supposed to stop people deliberately running down animals.

I bet the people who turfed yards for sh!ts and giggles could have used that excuse here in the US..........sorry officer.......just tryin to catch some dinner.........