PDA

View Full Version : Water Bombing Forest Fires

quincyfirefighter
09-21-2013, 02:48 AM
Cool Vid my buddy sent me. He is a ground pounder and worked with these type planes up north some time back. :cool: (Words from the video) Water bombing forest fires Very courageous and skilled pilots. The shots
of the pilot wrestling with the controls is revealing...
The old company, Bombardier Aerospace, makes these. They don't 'motor
around" to fill the tanks---they touch down at approach speed, open the
fill scoops, add lots of power, and the tanks fill in seconds. There's
one scene in the film where you can see the two tank level gauges rapidly
go up. The
other neat thing is watching the magnitude of
the flight
control inputs, especially aileron, as they are maneuvering down
low---sometimes the pilot is literally going stop to stop.

Real flying!43 Grupo 2012

http://player.vimeo.com/video/48642618

03 35th Anniversary
09-21-2013, 03:34 AM
I have heard that the fire planes are a wild ride and take some sharp skills on the pilot's end.

Cal-Fire runs these two planes (among others) out of the airport (SBD) next door to my current project.

The pilots running these planes seem to fly them like fighter jets! It's definitely a sight to see when one of the DC-10's take off and cut across the tops of all the buildings here after no more than getting off the ground.

Cloaked
09-21-2013, 07:24 AM
Cool Vid my buddy sent me.Thanks for the vid.....

1redTA
09-21-2013, 07:29 AM
cool video

CantRepeat
09-21-2013, 08:06 AM
Nice video and great music!

scott023
09-21-2013, 09:14 AM
Great video.

snork
09-21-2013, 10:28 AM
Thanks for the vid
pilots with nerves of steel

mikeg205
09-21-2013, 11:30 AM
These pilots are awesome - I had a similar experience like the video below - but I my perspective was from the dock of the in laws summer place...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2nSRHbaEH0

quincyfirefighter
09-21-2013, 12:57 PM
I have heard that the fire planes are a wild ride and take some sharp skills on the pilot's end.

Cal-Fire runs these two planes (among others) out of the airport (SBD) next door to my current project.

The pilots running these planes seem to fly them like fighter jets! It's definitely a sight to see when one of the DC-10's take off and cut across the tops of all the buildings here after no more than getting off the ground.

03. They had like three of the DC-10's working the Rim fire in Ca. You can look it up at www.inciweb.com. Fire has burned 256,895 acres so far. These baby's can hold 12,000 gallons of water or retardant. Want to see some great vids. Look up MAFFS (Modular Airborne Fire Fighting System) working the Rim fire. Not DC-10's (C-130's) but you get the feel of what these guys have to deal with. :cool:

quincyfirefighter
09-21-2013, 01:00 PM
By the way were are you working . Profile says your from Tx.

fskof
09-21-2013, 02:05 PM
Great Video!!!

46Chief
09-21-2013, 02:43 PM
Cool Vid my buddy sent me. He is a ground pounder and worked with these type planes up north some time back. :cool: (Words from the video) Water bombing forest fires Very courageous and skilled pilots. The shots
of the pilot wrestling with the controls is revealing...
The old company, Bombardier Aerospace, makes these. They don't 'motor
around" to fill the tanks---they touch down at approach speed, open the
fill scoops, add lots of power, and the tanks fill in seconds. There's
one scene in the film where you can see the two tank level gauges rapidly
go up. The
other neat thing is watching the magnitude of
the flight
control inputs, especially aileron, as they are maneuvering down
low---sometimes the pilot is literally going stop to stop.

Real flying!43 Grupo 2012

http://player.vimeo.com/video/48642618

That plane has to be a handfull to fly. The crew chief/third pilot sits in the middle and is helping fly the plane. It would be pretty awesome to see how they work as a team, managing that cockpit as you'r hurtling towards a flaming mountaniside with a huge payload of water.

Love all the flying boats like the Oldschool catalina PBY, and the Canadair

http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/images/cl215g1.jpg

These pilots are awesome - I had a similar experience like the video below - but I my perspective was from the dock of the in laws summer place...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2nSRHbaEH0
Remember when that movie was shot, I was living a few miles from Lake Kootenai.
The airport in Libby Montana has to be one of the prettiest general aviation airfields I know.

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/P2nSRHbaEH0/hqdefault.jpg

03 35th Anniversary
09-21-2013, 03:08 PM
By the way were are you working . Profile says your from Tx.

Texas is home.

But I travel a lot for work. So I have been stuck on a project in California since May 2012.

quincyfirefighter
09-21-2013, 10:09 PM
Texas is home.

But I travel a lot for work. So I have been stuck on a project in California since May 2012.

Well welcome to California. You must be down south. Don't judge the state from being down there. Not saying you are but up north is were it's at. Still I know there no place like home right. When I have to go out of district (fire that is) it's mostly down to Fresno south to San Bernadino county. Never can wait to get home. ;)

TOO-TALL
09-21-2013, 10:20 PM
Awesome video.......I have flown cessnas before and the slightest movement of the yoke and the plane responds....I couldn't imagine full control imputs .Very impressive!

Traxx822
09-22-2013, 02:19 AM
Awesome video.......I have flown cessnas before and the slightest movement of the yoke and the plane responds....I couldn't imagine full control imputs .Very impressive!

I'm a pilot and reading your post before I watched the video thinking, you might be forgetting that you keep the ailerons into the wind and then rotate the yoke straight on lift off.

Then I watched the video. And that guy couldn't be jerking off those controls any harder. Lol. Imagine having turbulent air due to the mountains and then also combating thermals from the fire. I bet they get knocked around in there. Doing all they can to keep it straight.

Although they are good pilots. Usually airplanes fly better than you can. And the rudder will smooth a lot of those bumps out without such molestation of the controls.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Grant777
09-22-2013, 03:58 AM
I'm a pilot and reading your post before I watched the video thinking, you might be forgetting that you keep the ailerons into the wind and then rotate the yoke straight on lift off.

Then I watched the video. And that guy couldn't be jerking off those controls any harder. Lol. Imagine having turbulent air due to the mountains and then also combating thermals from the fire. I bet they get knocked around in there. Doing all they can to keep it straight.

Although they are good pilots. Usually airplanes fly better than you can. And the rudder will smooth a lot of those bumps out without such molestation of the controls.

Being a pilot you'll know all about the effectiveness of controls at low speeds. Most bombing runs are made with flaps marginally extended (in this particular aircraft type) and as slow as possible to improve aim and water coverage. I used to do this in my past life - full aileron deflection is normal in high wind / low level conditions.

Traxx822
09-22-2013, 10:55 AM
Being a pilot you'll know all about the effectiveness of controls at low speeds. Most bombing runs are made with flaps marginally extended (in this particular aircraft type) and as slow as possible to improve aim and water coverage. I used to do this in my past life - full aileron deflection is normal in high wind / low level conditions.

In high winds and slow speed you are correct. Not much getting lift and controls get sluggish. Being a big plane like that I can't imagine.

I'm sure dumping all that water changes a bit of how it feels in the yoke as well.

Jibber
09-22-2013, 11:06 AM
Niice find!. This could be a new ballast fill system for the upcoming mastercrafts. Fills in under a second 3000 pounds ;)

Jibber
09-22-2013, 11:07 AM
Niice find! This could be a new ballast fill system for the upcoming mastercrafts. Fills in under a second 3000 pounds ;)

Datdude
09-24-2013, 04:48 PM
Niice find! This could be a new ballast fill system for the upcoming mastercrafts. Fills in under a second 3000 pounds ;)

the competition already has it:rolleyes: