PDA

View Full Version : Ilmor 6.2 0r 6.0?

skitilldark
09-19-2013, 04:06 PM
I am ordering an X25 and was wondering if some folks out there with the 6.0 or the 6.2 engine could weigh in on the advantages/what they like/dislike about them. I've driven the 5.7 and want just a tad more out of the hole than it gives. The 6.2 is a pricy upgrade and was wondering if it was worth it. Thanks!

Aric'sX15
09-19-2013, 04:08 PM
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=44478
should have all the info for ya

not jumping on you for not searching, but if you type your question into google it was the first reply! just help for the future.

skitilldark
09-19-2013, 05:20 PM
Thanks for the lambasting. I knew I could depend on someone on these boards for making me feel like an idiot. This time it wasn't searching for threads long enough. Last time it was because I used the wrong terminology. I wish I could just talk to people I assume are friends because we share the same love of a boat builder, but maybe that's too much to ask. As it was I actually searched 14 pages of threads before posting but couldn't find anything specific to X25's. I knew this topic had to be raised before but since I'm too stupid to go off this site and search google(?!?) (maybe we should ad a search engine to these boards?), I couldn't find it so I just added a new thread. I'm sorry. All I was hoping is to get some real world info from others who have the same boat. Thank you for sending the link. It is kinda helpful but didn't really give me the info I was looking for. But thanks for sending it anyway.

ADMIN, please delete this thread.

Nick911
09-19-2013, 05:42 PM
6.0L is plenty. I propped up to a 15" prop and there are even more aggressive props to help out. Auto Launch will always ensure your plate is down when taking off. I run 2K surfing with 9-10 people no issues. But if you have the cash for the 6.2, why not?

Aric'sX15
09-19-2013, 05:44 PM
Well then. I'll remember to never try and give useful advice again

Aric'sX15
09-19-2013, 05:46 PM
Nick is the original poster of that thread. He has plenty of experience with the 25s.

skitilldark
09-19-2013, 05:59 PM
Well then. I'll remember to never try and give useful advice again

That is just laugh out loud funny....(the anchorman pic)

skitilldark
09-19-2013, 06:16 PM
6.0L is plenty. I propped up to a 15" prop and there are even more aggressive props to help out. Auto Launch will always ensure your plate is down when taking off. I run 2K surfing with 9-10 people no issues. But if you have the cash for the 6.2, why not?

I'm not familiar with props. Is that a 3 or 4 blade? The 15"? And what is the gas usage like?

KahunaCraft
09-19-2013, 06:49 PM
100% agree the 6.0 is a great engine and with the right prop, not the stock prop, it has more than enough power.

Don't get me wrong, the stock prop will work 'ok' for all sports.

But that's the problem for those that don't want to barefoot (40+ mph) and only want to surf or wakeboard....(9-23mph) with good out of the hole power and good fuel economy at those speeds, the stock prop is not ideal and there are much better options.

I love the 1285 acme and have spoken to at least one other TT member with the 2307 (even better) and we won't be going back to the stock props any time soon.

That being said, other vendors such as OJ are also worth looking at.

Back to the question... If you can afford more power, go for the 6.2L. As much as I love the 6.0 and with the new prop it's more than I need, never can have too much of a great resource - Horsepower!!!

nbkdaw3
09-19-2013, 08:44 PM
Several motors have overheated this past summer and it is pretty common knowledge that many folks are running the engine quickly up to speed to get the impeller primed. Some of the motors over heated and had to be replaced it seemed to be the ones needing to be replaced were 6.2's which meant to me the 6.0's stood up to the higher temps better than the 6.2's possiblely. Eventually you are going to overheat maybe the cast iron of the 6.0's is stronger than the 6.2's?

MattsCraft
09-19-2013, 09:30 PM
From experience - 75 hrs - X25 - Never had an over heat issue - Runs cooler then my indmar 5.7 - 6.2 all the way baby, well worth the money IMHO, and it gets better gas/hour for sure - 5-6 GHP doing everything Cruise-WB-Surf-Ski - and yes you can ski this boat - Not a ski boat by any means, but skiable at 32 mph - All yeah and at 3000 RPM she is just getting primed asking for more - at WAT - breathtaking - 45MPH with 4-6 people in the boat.:D

Did I say H&ll yeah, love this motor, OK engine Whatever!!!

PM me if you want to know more

Nick911
09-19-2013, 11:04 PM
I'm not familiar with props. Is that a 3 or 4 blade? The 15"? And what is the gas usage like?

It's a 4 blade, I use the Acme 2241 which is a good 2-3K extra ballast prop. 501s just got a Acme? 15 x 12 which is made for running even more ballast. If you can afford 6.2 go with it. It was a $5500 upgrade for me and having already had a 25 with a 6.0, saving the $5500 was fine, considering I probably spent that on fuel this year. As far as mileage, a gallon or two per hour is negligible when you're dropping 100K on a boat. That being said if I didn't have the wake plate I'd go with the 6.2.

packman312
09-19-2013, 11:14 PM
Go 6.2......live a little!

skitilldark
09-20-2013, 06:22 AM
This is all great info. I think I will go with the 6.2 after reviewing all of this. For those that had overheating issues, when and how did the issue manifest itself so that I can keep an eye out for it?

X25John
09-21-2013, 09:34 AM
Got to agree with MattsCraft. Had a 12 with the 5.7 and it was fine. Replaced it with a 13 with a 6.2 and would not want anything else. Gas mileage is better, fill the boat with weight and the engine is phenominal! If you have the $$ always go with the bigger engine. No overheating problems here. Have 50 hours on it.

skitilldark
09-21-2013, 10:39 AM
Got to agree with MattsCraft. Had a 12 with the 5.7 and it was fine. Replaced it with a 13 with a 6.2 and would not want anything else. Gas mileage is better, fill the boat with weight and the engine is phenominal! If you have the $$ always go with the bigger engine. No overheating problems here. Have 50 hours on it.

That 13 sounds great. What brand and where did you get yours?
Thanks,