PDA

View Full Version : V-Drive Transmission Filter?

chrzanowski5
10-20-2005, 01:27 PM
Do I need to replace the transmission filter after changing the fluid? Is it just a screen that needs to be cleaned? The owners manual doesn't say too much regarding this.

I have an 04 X-star. thanks

Joe

Tom023
10-20-2005, 01:33 PM
I just clean it and gently blow some compressed air through it and put it back in. At $60 I'm not going to replace it on a routine basis. I asked my dealer and they do the same as me, and indicated they almost never put in a new filter.

bigmac
10-20-2005, 03:32 PM
I just clean it and gently blow some compressed air through it and put it back in. At $60 I'm not going to replace it on a routine basis. I asked my dealer and they do the same as me, and indicated they almost never put in a new filter.

Ditto here

prostar205
10-20-2005, 09:18 PM
How easy it is to remove and clean? Where is it on our boats?

bigmac
10-20-2005, 10:05 PM
How easy it is to remove and clean? Where is it on our boats?

If you pull the center rear seat and remove the ice bucket, the transmission filter sits to the right of center on the front of the transmission as you're facing it. It's a 1 inch round plug with a hex head socket.

http://mccollister.info/tranny.jpg

The filter is $62.31 at SkiDIM (http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=90-5005) Item 1510

http://www.skidim.com/images/90-5005.jpg

jrbrown
10-20-2005, 10:24 PM
Bigmac,

Thanks for posting pictures. Where did you get the pic of the line diagram of the Tranny?

bigmac
10-20-2005, 11:02 PM
Bigmac,

Thanks for posting pictures. Where did you get the pic of the line diagram of the Tranny?

That was in the transmission operating manual.

The transmission in my '04 is a ZF 63 IV, which I think used to be called the HSW 630 V1 (I haven't quite figured out the Hurth nomenclature yet). It appears all of the V- drive trannies use the same filter. At $62 a pop, replacing that filter isn't going to be an annual event at MY house...

chrzanowski5
10-21-2005, 12:07 AM
thank you!

prostar205
10-24-2005, 02:31 PM
Well, I attempted to change the tranny oil but the tranny cooling lines run directly over the dip stick. This makes it virtually impossible to remove the dip stick to get the oil out. Also, the filter has definately never been out because the black tranny paint was still on the fitler cover. Does anyone know the exact size of allen wrench to use to get the cover off?

Tom023
10-24-2005, 03:22 PM
Can't help you on the allen wrench size, but it's a standard size so any set you would buy should include it. I pump the fluid out through the filter hole once I take the filter out because it is much easier to get to. Just be sure to get the hose ALL the way down into the transmission. I know what you mean about the hoses being in the way of the dipstick. I guess over time, mine have given a little so I can get to the dipstick withou too much difficulty.

bigmac
10-24-2005, 05:05 PM
Can't help you on the allen wrench size, but it's a standard size so any set you would buy should include it. I pump the fluid out through the filter hole once I take the filter out because it is much easier to get to. Just be sure to get the hose ALL the way down into the transmission. I know what you mean about the hoses being in the way of the dipstick. I guess over time, mine have given a little so I can get to the dipstick withou too much difficulty.

Puzzling...on my 2004 230VRS, the hoses are WAY out of the way, and the filter is a pain to get to. I can get to the dipstick easily from the driver's side back panel, but for the filter I have to pull the seat and ice bucket and reach around inside.

prostar205
10-24-2005, 05:12 PM
It does not help that when they wired my second battery and isolator, the 2 AWG wires used to go from the main battery (on drivers side) to the second battery (on passenger side) go right over the cooler lines in the area of the tranny dipstick.

Looks like I will have to re-route them inorder to get the tranny oil changed. Another winter project.

Tom023
10-24-2005, 05:43 PM
Both of my batteries are on the driver's side, which I am locating to the passenger side up front under the observer seat. Where they are right now doesn't help with the weight balance of the boat and they prevent the engine access panel from laying flat, which is troublesome when working on that side of the engine.