PDA

View Full Version : 6.2L indmar fogging?

packman312
09-18-2013, 11:56 PM
Had one boat dealer dont fog- not needee. Skipper bud says fog through fuel filter only as to not foul plugs. Make sense?

Packman

mikeg205
09-19-2013, 12:16 AM
no.. will motor be sitting out side or in a fairly insulated garage. If it was me - I would ask how does the internals of the motor stay coated with oil to not corrode in the swings of midwest winter temps and humidity.

packman312
09-19-2013, 01:33 AM
Boat will be in insulated garage. Skipper bud said definitely dony fog thru cylinders. Seems like their is alot of variation on this.

CantRepeat
09-19-2013, 07:12 AM
Had one boat dealer dont fog- not needee. Skipper bud says fog through fuel filter only as to not foul plugs. Make sense?

Packman

How would fogging through the fuel filter not get oil on the plugs? Besides I don't see how you could put enough oil in the fuel filter while its submerged in fuel in the fuel tank. Or is he saying to fog through the air filter?

The intake on your boat is called a dry intake, IE it has fuel injectors over each cylinder. On these types on systems it is recommended to fog through the spark plug hole.

BARE5
09-19-2013, 07:28 AM
Skipper is right in a way. Fog the cylinders using old spark plugs , that way , in their thinking they can get you a new set in the spring. Fog it all. Injectors , cylinders, spray the motor down with a WD-40 type on the external parts. It works. Insulated garage or not, unless your taking all of us out for a ski run in December, there needs to be protection inside the engine too.

jgraham37128
09-19-2013, 08:56 AM
This was me last year.

CantRepeat
09-19-2013, 10:56 AM
Mr Graham is doing it right!

sand2snow22
09-19-2013, 11:07 AM
How would fogging through the fuel filter not get oil on the plugs? Besides I don't see how you could put enough oil in the fuel filter while its submerged in fuel in the fuel tank. Or is he saying to fog through the air filter?

The intake on your boat is called a dry intake, IE it has fuel injectors over each cylinder. On these types on systems it is recommended to fog through the spark plug hole.

Actually IIRC the owners manual for Ilmors says to fog through the intake :D

CantRepeat
09-19-2013, 11:26 AM
Actually IIRC the owners manual for Ilmors says to fog through the intake :D

I looked through the 6.2 owners manual I downloaded from Ilmor before I posted. It has nothing in it about fogging under their winterization procedures.

http://www.ilmor.com/en/marine/recreational/warranties-manuals.aspx

I believe the concept is that it's a dry intake and coating it with heavy oils is not recommended.

mikeg205
09-19-2013, 12:27 PM
dry intakes no fogging thru intake - fog thru spark plugs - mine fogs like above pic...

maxpower220
09-19-2013, 01:29 PM
Mr Graham is doing it right!

Looks like he is spraying for mosquitos.

While you can do both methods of fogging. Due to the sensors and the injectors, if I were you I would spray through the spark plug hole as the last step in fogging. I would also spray the whole motor with a product like WD-40 (there are some better products that won't evaporate as quickly).

Fogging is done to protect the steel cylinder walls from rusting due to some exhaust valves being open. If you fog while running the motor until is smokes for a little while, you still need to fog the cylinders after shutting down the motor. If your intake is aluminum, it won't rust and doesn't need fogging oil.

mikeg205
09-19-2013, 02:27 PM
Might be a stupid question - are new motors all aluminum? I don't think so...

CantRepeat
09-19-2013, 02:36 PM
The 5.7 is still cast iron.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_LS_engine

sand2snow22
09-19-2013, 11:08 PM
I looked through the 6.2 owners manual I downloaded from Ilmor before I posted. It has nothing in it about fogging under their winterization procedures.

http://www.ilmor.com/en/marine/recreational/warranties-manuals.aspx

I believe the concept is that it's a dry intake and coating it with heavy oils is not recommended.

I know I've read it on a Ilmor owners manual before and I was surprised. Can't find anything about fogging now?

packman312
09-21-2013, 10:44 PM
Ok 6.2l has aluminum block, cylinder head, intake manis. Says cast iron exhaust mani. Does this explain the no fogging advice from some?

CantRepeat
09-22-2013, 08:24 AM
Even though the block is aluminum it has steel cylinder sleeve inserts thus can still rust and corrode like any other block.

Voodoo
09-23-2013, 03:45 PM
dry intakes no fogging thru intake - fog thru spark plugs - mine fogs like above pic...

Question -- If you fog through the spark plug holes then I presume you reinstall plugs and run boat? It seems to me that the smoke results from fogging through the intake via the fuel injection openings behind the air filter? What am I missing here.

CantRepeat
09-23-2013, 05:11 PM
Question -- If you fog through the spark plug holes then I presume you reinstall plugs and run boat? It seems to me that the smoke results from fogging through the intake via the fuel injection openings behind the air filter? What am I missing here.

Reinstall the plugs, pull the safety lanyard and turn the boat over. You do not want to start the boat as that would burn off the oil. The idea is to coat the insides of the cylinders so they don't rust or corrode.

Voodoo
09-23-2013, 05:29 PM
Reinstall the plugs, pull the safety lanyard and turn the boat over. You do not want to start the boat as that would burn off the oil. The idea is to coat the insides of the cylinders so they don't rust or corrode.

OK, thanks. So, the pic with the smoke -- would you agree that he must have been fogging while the motor was running?

CantRepeat
09-23-2013, 06:41 PM
OK, thanks. So, the pic with the smoke -- would you agree that he must have been fogging while the motor was running?

I didn't give it any thought, but I assumed it was just steam and exhaust.

FrankSchwab
09-24-2013, 12:28 AM
There are two ways to fog:
1. Pull the plugs, spray the fogging oil into each cylinder, put the plugs back in.
2. Start the engine, spray the fogging oil down the throat of the carburetor until the engine dies. Don't do it when your neighbors are home, because someone will call the fire department.

The second way looks like what jgraham was doing, and appears to be not recommended for some engines.

Just to cause some controversy, I wouldn't turn over the engine after fogging through the plug holes. If you turn over the engine after spraying the fogging oil, the rings are going to scrape all the fogging oil off the cylinder walls and deposit it on/near the heads. Some will run back to the lowest point of the cylinder, but I don't think you have full protection inside the cylinders. I suppose if you wanted to be compulsive, you could fog the cylinder, rotate the engine to get the fogging oil in contact with the rings (and perhaps a very thin film below the rings), then fog again to make sure the cylinder walls are coated, put the plugs in and roll it into the garage.

Or you could live in Phoenix and simply not worry about problems caused by humidity.

/frank

Larry115
10-14-2013, 01:29 PM
Hi...I'm new to boat ownership and just purchased a like new 98. I just tucked my boat away after doing a thorough winterization. I pulled the plugs and sprayed engine fogger into the cylinders and replaced the plugs with new plugs. Is that enough or should I pull the safety lanyard and turn the engine over? I also changed the fuel filter and changed all the fluids and of course drained the water from the appropriate locations. While cleaning the boat I found another fuel filter on top of my gas tank. A little research and I found out mC used a power steering filter at this location in 98. I called skidim and was told I could just use the identical filter that I had replaced on the engine. Has anyone else run into this and do u think I will be ok with the new filter that is not identical? Also I'm changing the location of the filter so it's easier to get to next winter. I'm moving it to the rear of the boat in the bilge area and it won't be in water. I also ordered it with barbed fitting so I can use hose clamps since it's between the tank and fuel pump...does this sound ok? Also, we live in hayden, Idaho and keep our boat on Hayden Lake. I can't believe at 56 years old we waited this long to get a boat...we surf no rope behind it and what a blast.
Thanks, Larry