PDA

View Full Version : White trans fluid?

BARE5
09-17-2013, 06:30 PM
On my 95 Prostar, Saturday took kids skiing, checked before and fluid was red, clear and clean. Later that night , it is pinkish white? So thinking the trans cooler went bad? No leaks around hoses. If I take off the cooler, and hoses, will fluid that is in the lines, drain into transmission.? Or is there an easy way? And trying to comprehend all of this, what fluid runs through the lines? And how does cooler work? Thanks

thatsmrmastercraft
09-17-2013, 07:09 PM
Transmission fluid runs from the transmission to the trans cooler, then back to the transmission. The lakewater going through the trans cooler lowers the temp of the transmission fluid. You likely have a leak in the transmission cooler allowing transmission and water to return to the transmission.

Remove the transmission cooler and check it out. You may need to have it pressure tested to confirm the leak.

BARE5
09-17-2013, 11:06 PM
Thank you. That's what I thought but didn't know how it all worked.

thatsmrmastercraft
09-17-2013, 11:11 PM
You're most welcome. Be sure to lay some rags down before disconnection hoses. Remove trans fluid first, then disconnect hoses from oil cooler. and keep above trans level. Once reassembled, be sure to flush with new fluid enough times until there is no longer a milky look. Probably 3 or 4 times to get it done.