PDA

View Full Version : Colorado info

etduc
09-17-2013, 09:57 AM
Heading to Colorado, week of the 29th. Ft. Collins... for a few days...Then a day trip, from Ft. Collins to Estes Park, then south to Idaho Springs, then into Denver. Haven't been to Ft. Collins, since 1987, so clue me in on local color.

On another note, with the major flooding in CO, anyone have any info on road conditions...west of Boulder. (I will not going into Boulder area)

GT500 MC
09-17-2013, 10:14 AM
You may want to check CDOT or one of the local news websites. Road closures are well over 100 and most are bridges out/road washed away/major damage indicating that these will be a few weeks, if not months, away from being repaired. From pictures, Estes Park looks destroyed. Could be a very difficult trip. I believe there are a few TT'ers in NoCo who may have more specific info.

park190
09-17-2013, 10:45 AM
Unfortunately, things are tough all over right now. Here is a link to the Boulder County update. http://maps.bouldercounty.org/iemcop/ You may want to check out Jefferson County Sheriff's webpage too as I know Coal Creek Canyon has some terrible damage and Highway 119 is still closed. As GT500 said, it's going to take a lot of time to repair and your trip will be diffucult if unfamilar with back country routes. If you make it to Idaho Springs, be sure to stop by Tommy Knockers and Beau Jo's! Best of luck on your decision and travel safe!

shepherd
09-17-2013, 04:12 PM
You like beer? There's New Belgium brewery in Fort Collins. Down the road in Longmont are Left Hand and Oskar Blues (my personal favorite). There are several others in that area. Every time I go to Denver, my brother in law takes us on a brewery tour in the Fort Collins/Longmont/Boulder area.

Towboatcapt
09-18-2013, 12:50 AM
Everything I have seen on the news in last couple days, Estes park is shut down/almost cut off, from Fort Collins, major road washouts or mudslides. Lyons was evacuated by chopper. But have fun everywhere else around here!!

etduc
09-18-2013, 11:55 AM
I cycled, in the area in the eighties. Basically, only two main roads in from the East. Last late, watching nat'l news, saw a picture on hwy 34, where the road was gone. So, with the fires, rain, and flooding...looks like I'm drinking beer in Ft. Collins.

If you have friends, in the area, prayers are with them.

bhanson
09-18-2013, 01:59 PM
Most of the east-west highways in that area are closed. Depending on how big a "day trip" you envisioned, you could go south to Denver/Golden, take 119/7 (peak to peak hwy) into Estes Park, thru RMNP, back down thru Granby to I-70, back thru Denver to Ft Collins. Long day, tho.

cdstukey
09-18-2013, 02:44 PM
Updated 9/19:
Hwy 72 Coal creek canyon - damaged but passable/repairable local traffic only
Hwy 119 boulder canyon - 20% of road destroyed/gone
Hwy 7 Lyons to ward - 50% of road destroyed/gone
Hwy36 Lyons to Estes - 40% of road destroyed/gone
Hwy 34 big Thompson - 85% of road destroyed/gone