PDA

View Full Version : Replace boat buddy with roller

adam355
09-16-2013, 09:35 PM
I have trashed two boat buddies and have a nightmare of a time getting the boat all the way up to the pin correctly. I would prefer to just get it close and then winch it up and forget the whole boat buddy. Please dont respond with telling me how to correctly use the boat buddy, I am throwing in the towel.
Anyway I found this roller, but not sure what else is involved. Can someone else that have done this project explain any parts or pieces that I am missing? As far as I know all i do it take the boat buddy off and put this directly in its place using a similar bolt.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Blue-TPR-Bow-Roller-fits-3-bracket&i=715829&aID=603G2&merchID=4006

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

mikeg205
09-16-2013, 09:53 PM
you are correct - many here have removed their boat buddy - I like my boat buddy at this point.

mgs96ps
09-16-2013, 09:56 PM
Selling old boat buddy?

markmcfarland
09-16-2013, 10:24 PM
I have no problems getting boat buddy to work. But what do you guys do to keep it from marking up the bow or at least best way to clean marks off. I would replace with a roller also but I like the security of the pin in addition to the strap.

CruisinGA
09-16-2013, 10:59 PM
I have no problems getting boat buddy to work. But what do you guys do to keep it from marking up the bow or at least best way to clean marks off. I would replace with a roller also but I like the security of the pin in addition to the strap.

Add chain for additional security when using only winch w/o boat buddy.
Use transom straps as well.

mgs96ps
09-16-2013, 11:03 PM
FYI...you should not pull boat around with pin fired across eye.. Pin only to be used to pull boat out of water...then pull pin back to saftey and secure with strap only. Buddy will fail prematurely if used while driving. Set pin to fire position when launching...so its ready to go at return and your wife does not need to get out of truck.

FrankSchwab
09-16-2013, 11:09 PM
FYI...you should not pull boat around with pin fired across eye.. Pin only to be used to pull boat out of water...then pull pin back to saftey and secure with strap only. Buddy will fail prematurely if used while driving.

Not if used correctly. When my wife drives the boat on the trailer, and the boat buddy latches, the boat invariably slides backward until stopped by the boat buddy. I hook up the winch, use it to pull the boat forward half an inch, and pull out to go dry off. With the half inch clearance, there's nothing touching the BB pin. Nothing will fail prematurely, and the BB is still there as a secondary means of keeping the boat on the trailer. And, I can pull the BB pin easily the next time we hit the lake.

mgs96ps
09-16-2013, 11:13 PM
Not if used correctly. When my wife drives the boat on the trailer, and the boat buddy latches, the boat invariably slides backward until stopped by the boat buddy. I hook up the winch, use it to pull the boat forward half an inch, and pull out to go dry off. With the half inch clearance, there's nothing touching the BB pin. Nothing will fail prematurely, and the BB is still there as a secondary means of keeping the boat on the trailer. And, I can pull the BB pin easily the next time we hit the lake.

So you get out of boat and/or truck before pulling out?

markmcfarland
09-16-2013, 11:27 PM

That's how I have done it since my I bought my other boat 03 x2 brand new. That's how dealer showed me. That boat buddy survived till I sold boat 2 months ago. I still like the extra security of the boat buddy since mc didn't put a chain on the trailer. I'd rather replace a boat buddy if I have to. It may have to go and chain be added if it keeps marking up the 09 xstar. Anyone else have this problem with the xstars

Aric'sX15
09-16-2013, 11:31 PM
had the scuffing problem on my 15 and i hated it.

markmcfarland
09-16-2013, 11:33 PM
So you get out of boat and/or truck before pulling out?

Yes I do. If I'm at the lake house our ramp is right next to our house and dock and normally do both truck and boat by myself. Use boat buddy as designed then winch it if needed before getting in truck. If wife or son is driving boat then I normally winch it up the last foot or so with the boat under power to help.

mgs96ps
09-16-2013, 11:48 PM
Yes I do. If I'm at the lake house our ramp is right next to our house and dock and normally do both truck and boat by myself. Use boat buddy as designed then winch it if needed before getting in truck. If wife or son is driving boat then I normally winch it up the last foot or so with the boat under power to help.

I'm not saying your doing it wrong...all I'm saying is bb pin was designed to pull boat out and strap designed to secure. If your not stressing pin while driving you will be fine. However BB will tell you to put pin back to safety. My guess is a lot of people are ruining their bb and then start hating it. ..but if used correctly it an awesome system..and will get you out of water faster than most.

markmcfarland
09-17-2013, 12:00 AM
I believe you that is the correct way. Just never done it. I don't trailer but about a quarter mile except beginning and end of season. I love the bb except the marks it leaves. What do you do to get rid of the marks or keep them from happening.

mgs96ps
09-17-2013, 12:07 AM
I believe you that is the correct way. Just never done it. I don't trailer but about a quarter mile except beginning and end of season. I love the bb except the marks it leaves. What do you do to get rid of the marks or keep them from happening.

Come in slow until boat settles into bunks...power once to get close...power twice to lock. My boat never hits bb rubber. All set up with right depth of trailer where fenders start to show.

When backing look for guide poles to float up...keep backing til bunks are wet...pull out til fender just come out of water.

FrankSchwab
09-17-2013, 12:15 AM
I'm not saying your doing it wrong...all I'm saying is bb pin was designed to pull boat out and strap designed to secure. However BB will tell you to put pin back to safety.

I used it that way for awhile; but you end up with the BB under a lot of tension when you pull out, and I found it very difficult at times to pull the pin back to safety using this technique. I also had it not latch correctly once, and the boat slid back an inch or two as I pulled out, bending the snot out of the metal frame (yes, I replaced it). So, now I get out and get my legs wet so I don't have to wrestle the BB back to safety, and don't have to worry about bending it up.

To keep black marks off my hull, I glued some carpet on the plastic receiver plate; I got that suggestion here a number of years ago.

markmcfarland
09-17-2013, 12:16 AM
The ramps I use are all too steep to be shallow enough to do that and still be able to pull on. It takes nearly full power to get it on there if I go that shallow. If I go too deep the xstar bow will come in too low. Still figuring out right depth of trailer on the xstar.

markmcfarland
09-17-2013, 12:19 AM
To keep black marks off my hull, I glued some carpet on the plastic receiver plate; I got that suggestion here a number of years ago.

Thanks I will do that when the new bunk carpet comes in Friday.

mgs96ps
09-17-2013, 12:26 AM
The ramps I use are all too steep to be shallow enough to do that and still be able to pull on. It takes nearly full power to get it on there if I go that shallow. If I go too deep the xstar bow will come in too low. Still figuring out right depth of trailer on the xstar.

Steeper ramps will cause problems. Less fender showing would help in that case...or I would winch

adam355
09-17-2013, 12:48 AM
Sorry to be a grump but I specifically said in the original post not to respond with how to use a boat buddy and now its two pages of exactly that.

Let me repost:

I have trashed two boat buddies and have a nightmare of a time getting the boat all the way up to the pin correctly. I would prefer to just get it close and then winch it up and forget the whole boat buddy. Please dont respond with telling me how to correctly use the boat buddy, I am throwing in the towel.
Anyway I found this roller, but not sure what else is involved. Can someone else that have done this project explain any parts or pieces that I am missing? As far as I know all i do it take the boat buddy off and put this directly in its place using a similar bolt.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...2&merchID=4006

mgs96ps
09-17-2013, 07:47 AM
Sorry to be a grump but I specifically said in the original post not to respond with how to use a boat buddy and now its two pages of exactly that.

Let me repost:

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...2&merchID=4006

Can't help with roller...but still hoping you don't give up on the BB...so that's why I posted. You need to figure out trailer depth regardless to save your prop.

Good luck.

markmcfarland
09-17-2013, 07:58 AM
Sorry to hijack your post. I replaced my roller on my pre bb boat with one of those. It should come with all you need and yes you just take bb off and bolt in same place. Only other thing is you need to make sure middle part is large enough to cover mounting post.

Voodoo
09-17-2013, 08:37 AM
Can't help with roller...but still hoping you don't give up on the BB...so that's why I posted. You need to figure out trailer depth regardless to save your prop.

Good luck.

Too funny. Comedy writes itself. OP asks for specific help. Response: "I am ignoring your request for your own good because I know what's best for you, little fella". Watch out, unsolicited marital advice is next.

jschildm
09-17-2013, 08:56 AM

There are quite a few threads on here about adding carpet over the rubber to keep it from smudging onto the boat. I though boat buddy might even be making a carpet cover for it, but I could be wrong.

As far as the roller goes, I believe it should fit right in there. If you decide to go that route I would measure the width of the supports where it goes and the hole diameter to verify that you get the right size roller for it. Should be a pretty easy install though.

mgs96ps
09-17-2013, 09:25 AM
adam355

I definitely don't know what is best for myself, much less others. I have gained a ton of wealth reading post where they lead. The "you need to figure out trailer depth" was a universal you...i.e. "one" needs to figure out trailer depth to eliminate launching issues with their specific boat.

Hope things work out.

Respectfully submitted

CantRepeat
09-17-2013, 09:40 AM
I would go with a clear stoltz roller because they tend to not leave marks on the boat.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Stoltz-Ultimate-4-Bow-Stop-Roller&i=34908&r=view

BrooksfamX2
09-17-2013, 09:57 AM
I would go with a clear stoltz roller because they tend to not leave marks on the boat.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Stoltz-Ultimate-4-Bow-Stop-Roller&i=34908&r=view

That's what I have, works good.

BB pin: I have seen several bow eyes worn half way through due to the pin rubbing on it when left engaged. These are boats that are trailered everywhere (1000+ miles/season) so the risk is higher for this to happen....

ncskier
09-17-2013, 10:08 AM
This was posted on the Prostar thread but seemed to get lost in all the excitement.

A Boat Buddy that doesn't leave marks would be a popular item

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=56531&page=23

east tx skier
09-17-2013, 10:21 AM
Add chain for additional security when using only winch w/o boat buddy.
Use transom straps as well.

This. I ditched the boat buddy early on in my MC stewardship. Nonmarring bow roller is the way to go. Use a backup chain and you're good to go. You won't miss it.

east tx skier
09-17-2013, 10:23 AM
This was posted on the Prostar thread but seemed to get lost in all the excitement.

A Boat Buddy that doesn't leave marks would be a popular item

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=56531&page=23

Pretty sweet. I asked Kodiak years ago if they would ever make a nonmarring shroud for the boat buddy and was assured they would not. Looks like MC made a competing product since their patent expired several years ago. That metal bar is a bit worrisome though. Plastidip that thing. :)

thatsmrmastercraft
09-17-2013, 10:27 AM
Prefer a bow strap to chain.

http://s7d4.scene7.com/is/image/GanderMountainOvertons/73278_L1?$product$

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=BoatBuckle-G2-Bow-Tie-Down-System&i=73278&str=tie+down+strap&merchID=4005

east tx skier
09-17-2013, 10:52 AM
That seems like a lot of front/back play if the winch strap gives out. I'll take a nice beefy chain with an attachment point that allows less rearward slide.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-izt52ehytiI/UjhsL1C2aII/AAAAAAAAGtg/vJkQmWaDR1U/s1065/Untitled.jpg

thatsmrmastercraft
09-17-2013, 11:34 AM
Most trailers allow for a more forward mounting position to keep the boat secure to the bow stop, as would your trailer. I will admit it would be tough to go wrong with a piece of thick chain.

adam355
09-17-2013, 11:55 AM

I have a 2002 x10. Do I measure the outside of the bracket or the inside when deciding 3 in or 4 in roller to buy?

2010Prostar197
09-17-2013, 02:46 PM
Inside....

It will be a shade larger than 3 or 4 depending on your trailer

When you tighten it down it will be very close to 3 or 4

adam355
09-17-2013, 04:19 PM
Inside....

It will be a shade larger than 3 or 4 depending on your trailer

When you tighten it down it will be very close to 3 or 4

Awesome. Thank You!

Legolamb
09-17-2013, 09:25 PM
For those of us that kept our BB, try some car wax on the rubber surfaces that touch the bow to prevent/minimize the marks and streaks left on your boat. This has worked well for me this season.

markmcfarland
09-17-2013, 09:39 PM
Great idea. I will try that before I put carpet on it.

FrankSchwab
09-17-2013, 09:51 PM
try some car wax on the rubber surfaces that touch the bow
Great idea. I will try that before I put carpet on it.

uhh, not if you're planning on gluing the carpet to the BB. Glue and Wax don't mix.

hbomb
09-17-2013, 09:54 PM
Certainly the topic has been covered......... but can I give my perspective on the Boat Buddy.......
we are in Australia and we unfortunately dont have this sort of whizz bang gear on our trailers....... we utilise a nose roller and winch or maybe electric winch.......
We where fortunate enough to purchase an X2 in 2010 from the US so when faced with the boat buddy, it was a challenge to say the least. Our previous boat we tended to float/pull on (not drive) and the last foot or so we winched.......
Faced with an ocean liner size boat compared to our previous one, retrieving was daunting to say the least - driving it on - that was scary........
What we did learn very quickly was.........
and the guy we bought our boat off was simply fantastic when he said.......... spend the time lining up the trailer, get used to the different ramps with respect to where the water level shows on the leading edge of the mudguard and the rest is simple!!!
Simple????????????????????
I would NEVER go back to a nose roller/winch set up....
one of the biggest problems we face is that we boat on a river which is pretty fast flowing and trying to get the boat onto the trailer was a task and a half............. boat bouncing sideways into trailer, trying to winch it one when it is floating away etc etc..... and not to mention the brain dead morons doing donuts on jetskis at the ramp......... creating waves........ actually that did not last long,,,,,,,,,, water police sunk a few of thes efools with $ 350 fines .......... how quickly they disappeared!@!
Now........ trailer into the water........... set the boat buddy, drive it on - wait for the click..... strap her up and away we go........... people stand at the ramp scratching their heads how quickly it can be retrieved........
a trap for players and I have been caught where we have locked on and "forgotten to strap the nose hook so when the trailer was pulled up the ramp, the boat nose hook has come back onto the boat buddy pin............ a pain in the rear when next launching as we had to sink the trailer to float the boats weight of the pin before we could release it

This boat buddy thing gets my vote as the invention of the century!

Sodar
09-17-2013, 10:54 PM
This boat buddy thing gets my vote as the invention of the century!

I might not say invention of the century, but if used correctly, it works very well. The carpet really makes it nice.

CantRepeat
09-18-2013, 08:02 AM
That seems like a lot of front/back play if the winch strap gives out. I'll take a nice beefy chain with an attachment point that allows less rearward slide.

I think so too. Just for that reason, I routed mine a little differently.

east tx skier
09-18-2013, 08:47 AM
That ought to do it.

mgs96ps
09-18-2013, 09:14 AM
Here is my top selling points for the Boat Buddy:

-wife does not need to get out of truck
-you do not need to get out of boat
-quickest exit as you see the 81 SeaRay zig-zaging down the ramp
-really just the joy of being on the ramp for no more than a mintue and watching jaws drop on people that have been there for 15.
-boat drain plug pulled and battery dis-connected as the wife is driving to the north forty of parking lot to dry off boat

mlawler34
09-18-2013, 08:35 PM
Here is my top selling points for the Boat Buddy:

-wife does not need to get out of truck
-you do not need to get out of boat
-quickest exit as you see the 81 SeaRay zig-zaging down the ramp
-really just the joy of being on the ramp for no more than a mintue and watching jaws drop on people that have been there for 15.
-boat drain plug pulled and battery dis-connected as the wife is driving to the north forty of parking lot to dry off boat

We get it you like the boat buddy. Some of us got tired of it and went old school with a chain. And some of us can't power load which adds another twist.

My bet is most of us with the chain get in and out just as fast you.

mgs96ps
09-18-2013, 10:12 PM
mlawler...that's cool, both systems work. The BB is not for everyone. There are girl's that you will date and there are girl's that you will marry...and the BB may not be the best for the long haul as it can give you problems at times.

markmcfarland
09-18-2013, 10:43 PM
If you have to do both boat and truck. Bb makes all the difference.

XtwentyNot
09-19-2013, 10:45 AM
Still need a chain with a boat buddy right?
I've never been able to figure out what a boat buddy does, it has a pin that you can't let the bow eye rest against and a pad that mars your bow. I find neither helpful.

Traxx822
09-19-2013, 11:03 AM
Too funny. Comedy writes itself. OP asks for specific help. Response: "I am ignoring your request for your own good because I know what's best for you, little fella". Watch out, unsolicited marital advice is next.

Watch out, RUDE!

mgs96ps was giving someone who clearly doesn't know how to use the BB, advice. I didn't know that was the proper way to use it either. It helped me. Its a public forum. The OP can request info on a thread but has no right to moderate the content of a thread. The content may have gotten off course from what he needed but it helps other people. The polite way would have just been to say "this still doesn't answer my question. But thanks for the info"

thatsmrmastercraft
09-19-2013, 11:06 AM
Content stays more "on topic" here than some other forums I am on.:rolleyes:

Traxx822
09-19-2013, 11:08 AM
Right, I mean the info was good and relevant. No need to jump down his throat.

As I 99% of the time launch or recover my boat by myself the info was appreciated. As I have no one to tell me i'm doing it wrong.

thatsmrmastercraft
09-19-2013, 11:27 AM
I think so too. Just for that reason, I routed mine a little differently.
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=101278&stc=1&d=1379505734

I like this ratcheting tie-down mount. :toast:

mgs96ps
09-19-2013, 12:09 PM
Thanks for your comments Traxx822! Made my day...for awhile there I thought that I was going to get black balled from the fourm, when really we all stand united under the MasterCraft and/or inboards only theme.

andersonmc
10-15-2013, 01:38 PM
I to am ditching the BB and going roller. I saw several suggested the Stolz clear roller but they make different sizes. Which size do I need for my 01 MC trailer?

cobalt650
10-15-2013, 10:13 PM
Any pic's of how to put a chain on the trailer for the bow eye? First rig that I've owned without one. It seems creepy..............

TresRiver205
10-16-2013, 03:07 PM
Did anyone have to adjust/space up the carpeted V that holds the bow? I'm replacing my broken BB with a roller but when the boat is fully forward the eye is right in the middle of where the roller will go.

andersonmc
10-16-2013, 10:37 PM
Did anyone have to adjust/space up the carpeted V that holds the bow? I'm replacing my broken BB with a roller but when the boat is fully forward the eye is right in the middle of where the roller will go.

Thats exactly what I was affraid of on my 01 xstar. The eye looks as if it will hit the roller.

andersonmc
10-18-2013, 04:06 PM

Bump

Any feedback on this issue? I don't want to order a roller unless its going to fit properly.

thatsmrmastercraft
10-18-2013, 04:26 PM

The V-bunk should be in the proper location for the boat. I would thing that you might have to modify how the roller mounts to have it line up properly.

andersonmc
10-18-2013, 05:54 PM
Did anyone else on here have to modify at all?