PDA

View Full Version : Fresh from Ski School

LisaJ
09-16-2013, 11:01 AM
Well, I did it---attended Women's Week at Coble Ski School last week. That's me-4th from the left. Ya'll told me to get a picture with April...SO here it is...PROOF that this cowgirl was there and giving it my ALL! I'm so pumped and wish I could leave this office and head right back to camp. It was a wonderful experience from all perspectives-the coaching, boat driver's, the boats, the FOOD, and best of all....getting to observe the professionals train. They are MACHINES!!!! I was the only beginner there but they NEVER made me feel like a beginner or stranger. I was given serious attention to detail and my confidence was soaring when I left. And for those of you wondering...yes April got in the boat and coached me just like all the advanced skiers. Her focus was on safety and form. What a great way for me to obtain such a strong foundation so early in my attempt to learn to ski. I made sure to get signed up for 2014. I wouldn't miss it for the world! Hats off to the Coble Family and their generosity to open their home and share their passion for Skiing.

TxsRiverRat
09-16-2013, 12:22 PM
Awesome!

Do you have any new videos to post up to show any improvements?

How was their advice compared to what we gave you here in TT? :D

MC

JMLVMI
09-16-2013, 12:43 PM
Glad you had such a great time! Looking forward to going back myself next year!

Hammer
09-16-2013, 12:47 PM
The Cobles are an awesome family! And there setup is great. They are about 20 minuites from my house, and I need to go more. Now put that training to the test.

LisaJ
09-16-2013, 12:55 PM
Their coaching advice was exactly the same. BUT when somebody can tap on the rope, jump up on the back of the boat and get you corrected right at a given moment....that makes the learning curve a lot steeper. Before I skied until exhausted then went back and watched my video then back to the water to try to improve what I was doing wrong. The biggest mistake I was making (fear driven) was I pulling in the wrong places. I was coasting flat in the work zone then pulling. I'm still concerned about the wake but have now convinced myself that staying on edge in the work zone is the safest way to address the wake. Before I told myself but fear wouldn't let me execute.

They also adjusted my bindings, moving me forward on my ski. I'm still not sure that my ski, HO Freeride, is the correct ski for me as it still wants to bounce around with me at times but I had to start somewhere. This particular ski made deep water starts a breeze to learn and let me pull around this summer for 20 minutes at the time learning to stay upright.

TxsRiverRat
09-16-2013, 02:12 PM
TThe biggest mistake I was making (fear driven) was I pulling in the wrong places. I was coasting flat in the work zone then pulling. I'm still concerned about the wake but have now convinced myself that staying on edge in the work zone is the safest way to address the wake.

winner winner chicken dinner!

JMLVMI
09-16-2013, 02:16 PM
I imagine the wake behind those ProStar 197s was a little more friendly too! Did you try to run the course at all or just work on form?

LisaJ
09-16-2013, 02:35 PM
The wake was a lot more FRIENDLY although the seasoned skiers thought the "Bump" was hard. However, even though I've only been skiing since July, I had already developed some bad defensive habits approaching that wake that were mentally tough for me to overcome.

And of course, you know I had to make an attempt to chase those buoys (Did the mini course successfully TWICE!) Woohoo! They brought me back to the dock with the boat horn blowing and me fist pumping from the end of the rope. I felt like Tarzan!!!!! I'm so ready to do it again and again and again!!!!!

Rockman
09-16-2013, 02:47 PM
Well, I did it---attended Women's Week at Coble Ski School last week. That's me-4th from the left.

Hottie! :D :headbang:

LisaJ
09-16-2013, 04:27 PM
:D:D:D:D:D Thank you-I'll take that and run with it! Getting a ski for my 50th birthday helped out ;)

mikeg205
09-16-2013, 04:29 PM
Hottie! :D :headbang:

what's happens on teamtalk - stays on team talk - but I agree... :eek: - in a good way

Double D
09-16-2013, 04:37 PM
Lets not scare her away boys.... :)

LisaJ
09-16-2013, 04:51 PM
I'm only a little skeerd of the wake.....LOL

thatsmrmastercraft
09-16-2013, 04:52 PM
Is't a fine line between fear and a healthy respect. ;)

Rockman
09-16-2013, 07:01 PM
what's happens on teamtalk - stays on team talk - but I agree... :eek: - in a good way

:confused:

All I said was in perfect gentleman respect. Nothing more, nothing less.

mikeg205
09-16-2013, 07:20 PM
:confused:

All I said was in perfect gentleman respect. Nothing more, nothing less.

I agreed... :) - was questioning using that smiley... damn joke gone wrong... sorry rockman...

LisaJ
09-16-2013, 10:45 PM
No harm guys. I took it as complimentary.... made my day actually.

mikeg205
09-16-2013, 10:51 PM
which ski did you get??? and binding..??

LisaJ
09-16-2013, 11:12 PM
My family bought me the HO Freeride and HO bindings, rear slip in. April had everything moved forward and then asked me to really put my rear foot farther in so that I got within 2" inches of my front foot. BiNgO...ski started listening to me a whole lot better.

Bouyhead
09-16-2013, 11:59 PM
The wake was a lot more FRIENDLY although the seasoned skiers thought the "Bump" was hard. However, even though I've only been skiing since July, I had already developed some bad defensive habits approaching that wake that were mentally tough for me to overcome.

And of course, you know I had to make an attempt to chase those buoys
(Did the mini course successfully TWICE!) Woohoo! They broug
ht me back to the dock with the boat horn blowing and me fist pumping from the end of the rope. I felt like Tarzan!!!!! I'm so ready to do it again and again and again!!!!!

Congrats!!! Running the mini course is a MAJOR accomplishment, keep up the good work!!!

TxsRiverRat
09-17-2013, 01:58 PM
I imagine the wake behind those ProStar 197s was a little more friendly too!

At what speed? http://vipstylecars.com/forums/images/smilies/smiley-rofl.gifhttp://vipstylecars.com/forums/images/smilies/smiley-rofl.gif

And of course, you know I had to make an attempt to chase those buoys (Did the mini course successfully TWICE!) Woohoo! I felt like Tarzan!!!!!

Video or it didn't happen ;)

I'm so ready to do it again and again and again!!!!!

Hey, this is a family oriented site! :D:D:D

LisaJ
09-17-2013, 02:27 PM
[QUOTE=TxsRiverRat;978752]At what speed? http://vipstylecars.com/forums/images/smilies/smiley-rofl.gifhttp://vipstylecars.com/forums/images/smilies/smiley-rofl.gif

STOP laughing at my 26 mph through the buoys...that ain't nice...:rant:

It DID HAPPEN!!! And I knew you where going to say that. We had moved to Lake 4 and weren't videoing during this set!!! I've got a 3 day Cutting Horse show this coming weekend in WV. But next week, it's on like DONKEY KONG! I'm going to the lake midweek, hiring a driver and we're getting a video ...IN THE BUOYS!!!! :dance:

mikeg205
09-17-2013, 02:29 PM
[QUOTE=TxsRiverRat;978752]At what speed? http://vipstylecars.com/forums/images/smilies/smiley-rofl.gifhttp://vipstylecars.com/forums/images/smilies/smiley-rofl.gif

STOP laughing at my 26 mph through the buoys...that ain't nice...:rant:

It DID HAPPEN!!! And I knew you where going to say that. We had moved to Lake 4 and weren't videoing during this set!!! I've got a 3 day Cutting Horse show this coming weekend in WV. But next week, it's on like DONKEY KONG! I'm going to the lake midweek, hiring a driver and we're getting a video ...IN THE BUOYS!!!! :dance:

get the ski doc... http://www.theskidoc.com/

nice to see an addiction growing ;) - I remember you did mention that Freeride ski... amazing what a little coaching can do right? the Video drills by Gordon Rathbun on youtube are great and critique by the riverrat is awesome... :)

mikeg205
09-17-2013, 02:31 PM
At what speed? http://vipstylecars.com/forums/images/smilies/smiley-rofl.gifhttp://vipstylecars.com/forums/images/smilies/smiley-rofl.gif

Hey, this is a family oriented site! :D:D:D

Hey you told me so slow to 28 - 30... lol... http://vipstylecars.com/forums/images/smilies/smiley-rofl.gifhttp://vipstylecars.com/forums/images/smilies/smiley-rofl.gif

Yeah and that's right no video or pics - didn't happen... dems da rule... ;)

TxsRiverRat
09-17-2013, 06:07 PM
My comment was laughing at the guys that were bellyaching about the "huge wake" at 26 for the 197, not making fun of anyones ability :)

sorry for the confusion! lol

LisaJ
10-02-2013, 05:47 PM
Well....it was windy, cold and the water was choppy as could be at Lake Tillery, NC this past weekend...but I managed to get a short video to show you how my progress is coming along. First time to get back in the water since ski school. I can tell a big difference in my skiing since the earlier video's in July. I can't wait to go back next week and try again. I'm feeling much more confident and I think I look much safer at the wake crossing-thank you Coble Ski School. Going to try more edge through the wake next time.

Boat speed 29 - 30 mph (was 26 -28 mph before camp). This is actually a decent wake for my 2012 Maristar 215. Could be much worse-LOL! :dance:

http://youtu.be/txOwCjYMNd8

AZDave
10-02-2013, 07:21 PM
My first passes were at 26mph. And the older Malibu's, early 90's MC's have the best wakes at slow speed, long line length. I did a summer behind a 2004 ProStar and my bad offside wake crossing caused me a lot of pain. Full tank of gas doesn't help. All excuses, if the form is good, it's all good!

André
10-02-2013, 07:49 PM
Wow!Way better wake crossing position! I also notice that your ski don t hunt anymore as a result of better form!
Good improvement!
Congrats!

LisaJ
10-02-2013, 09:03 PM
Thank you. ..I feel the new found confidence about the wake is really going to help my skiing progress now

coz
10-02-2013, 10:32 PM
:D:D:D:D:D Thank you-I'll take that and run with it! Getting a ski for my 50th birthday helped out ;)

50's just a number, happens to be mine too but JUST a number :D Sounds like you had a blast and learned a lot, keep it up :headbang:

mikeg205
10-03-2013, 12:15 AM
Nice job lisa... awesome improvement... :) I am 54 at the end of this year - Still going strong... :) - so it's only a number as the above says... :)

LisaJ
10-03-2013, 12:03 PM
Anytime the word awesome get's thrown around...I'm thrilled to death! Thanks so much for taking the time to see how much hard work I've put in to try to overcome my fear of the wake. I still respect it but don't get SO UPTIGHT about it. :) I can't wait to get back on the water.

Nice job lisa... awesome improvement... :)

JMLVMI
10-03-2013, 03:48 PM
Anytime the word awesome get's thrown around...I'm thrilled to death! Thanks so much for taking the time to see how much hard work I've put in to try to overcome my fear of the wake. I still respect it but don't get SO UPTIGHT about it. :) I can't wait to get back on the water.

I'll say again, I've got a nice flat ProStar wake you're welcome to ride behind! I am constantly looking for morning ski buddies!

LisaJ
10-03-2013, 03:58 PM
How much longer are you going to ski this year? I'll bring my ski and vest home next weekend....I'd love to find somebody to ski with. I'm wearing my boat drivers very thin!!!! LOL :) I'm off to Columbus, Ohio for a couple days to show cutting horses, then I can go to lake to retrieve my gear.

I'll say again, I've got a nice flat ProStar wake you're welcome to ride behind! I am constantly looking for morning ski buddies!

mikeg205
10-04-2013, 12:06 AM
How much longer are you going to ski this year? I'll bring my ski and vest home next weekend....I'd love to find somebody to ski with. I'm wearing my boat drivers very thin!!!! LOL :) I'm off to Columbus, Ohio for a couple days to show cutting horses, then I can go to lake to retrieve my gear.

Only us die-hards are left... Skied yesterday morning... 6:50am air temp 52. Got pics so it happened. Unfortunately we are too far apart.

JMLVMI
10-04-2013, 01:24 AM

I just bought an O'Neill wetsuit, but I haven't needed it yet. Water is still beautiful here. Hope to ski until at least end of the month if this string of 80* days keeps up!

LisaJ
10-04-2013, 08:52 AM
Only us die-hards are left... Skied yesterday morning... 6:50am air temp 52. Got pics so it happened. Unfortunately we are too far apart.

LOL-this was me at Tillery last weekend. 53 Degrees-Water temperature was 75 Degrees....Love it. You're giving me more ammunition to argue with my boat driver! :rant: It's NOT TOO COLD!

LisaJ
10-04-2013, 08:54 AM
I just bought an O'Neill wetsuit, but I haven't needed it yet. Water is still beautiful here. Hope to ski until at least end of the month if this string of 80* days keeps up!
I'll be in touch next week! Thanks