PDA

View Full Version : Fulton Trailer Jack Service? Grease?

DBrown2
09-16-2013, 10:53 AM
I searched and found a ton of info on the F2, and just replacing but nothing on just servicing the current unit.

I noticed last weekend it took... both arms to crank and lots of Go Power... 05 X Star. This weekend, I saw a small hole, and I shot some grease in it real quick just to see. As I was unloading the boat, and cranking up.. did much smoother, but as I was letting it back down I noticed... it wanting to slip gears.

My thoughts or I see.. take out the tiny bolts/screws.. holding the cap on I assume. My old one just popped off. Then load the end up with grease, and just let it gravity feed for a day or so, then start using it.

If this doesnt fix the use of Popeye Arms, then I will just upgrade to something else.

Nordicron
09-16-2013, 11:18 AM
I just put a f2 on my boat not long ago and after like 2 weeks I noticed it hard to crank. So took cap off and those gears had grease so I knew it had to be inside the tube that needed grease. No way to easily get in but did notice 2 small holes inside the inner plastic box so just stuck the grease gun on those 2 holes and started pumping in a ton of grease. Worked the jack up and down unloaded full range and problem solved. It was kinda shoddy and ticked me off that I had to do this to a brand new jack though!

chopp
09-16-2013, 08:16 PM
i have heaps of problems with mine getting hard to crank . is it used in salt water a bit , but when i take it all apart (pretty easy once you work out how ) there is no corrosion and sometimes plenty of grease. once i had to take grease out and spray some lube in there to get it to work . i thought they were suppose to be low-no maintenance.

JDC
09-16-2013, 10:28 PM
Has anyone contacted Cequent/Fulton about this?
I thought the last time I cranked on mine it seemed harder, but I've been off work for a while recovering and thought it was just me being weak. :(

Contact By Phone
Cequent Performance Products
(800)632-3290

I may give 'em a call in the next day or so and see what they say. Can't hurt... if I actually get to talk to someone.

packman312
09-17-2013, 01:50 AM
I contacted them. Their service guy suggested taking top of and adding small amount of motor oil. I did this and have had no further problems.

PACKMAN

sk8salomon
08-04-2015, 07:26 AM
Dug this post up because i've had some issues with my F2. Bought 6 years ago and have had similar problems with hard to crank. Like many posted above, i removed the top crank cap and gears had plenty of grease. Found that adding lube to the slider helped some but still not 100% happy. Long story short, my jack is shot. Broke the t-handle lever, glued back together for another 1/2 summer work and now the damn crank arm snapped off. Should I think "oh well, $100/6years"? I did send pics and email to Fulton. No response.

Bubbacuse77
08-04-2015, 07:45 AM
They should send you a new one. It has alifetime warranty I believe. My new f2 winch came with a bad handle and they are sending me new parts. Did you try calling the customer service number?

Fletchx7
08-04-2015, 10:07 AM
Dug this post up because i've had some issues with my F2. Bought 6 years ago and have had similar problems with hard to crank. Like many posted above, i removed the top crank cap and gears had plenty of grease. Found that adding lube to the slider helped some but still not 100% happy. Long story short, my jack is shot. Broke the t-handle lever, glued back together for another 1/2 summer work and now the damn crank arm snapped off. Should I think "oh well, $100/6years"? I did send pics and email to Fulton. No response.

I'd contact Fulton as well. The bracket that holds the gear assembly broke in my 2 year old jack and Fulton sent me a replacement. I kept the old one for parts. If you want, I can dig into it and see what parts I can salvage for you. Let me know.

el Dax
08-04-2015, 10:22 AM
Good thread! I was just thinking about how to service this thing.

sk8salomon
08-04-2015, 03:41 PM
Thanks guys. Last month I went on Fulton's site and made a generic request for service. About 3 days later, i recieved an email from "Bill" in the service dept. He asked if I had pics so i sent him some. This past weekend the handle snapped off so i took a pic, dug up the old email and sent him another one with the update. No response yet but i'll let you know if i hear.

In the meantime, i went ahead and ordered one from etrailer.com. Cheapest one i could find ($115) with free shipping :) if it lasts another 6 years i'll be happy.

chevroletman
04-27-2016, 10:19 PM
I took the cap off by removing the two screws. I could see the gears with little grease. I filled it up to the top with Marine Grease. Put the cap back on and tried again and it still cranked hard.
Took the cap back off and my Grease was still there. Put a little more grease on a putty knife and forced it down inside out shaft from the top of Jack. Repeated the step numerous times. Probably used half a tube of Grease. Turn very easy now! :)

Loewen
07-12-2016, 12:35 PM
Glad I found this thread. My Fulton F2 1600 jack on a 2014 MC Trailer quit cranking altogether. I pulled the top cap, plenty of grease on the gears. Pulled the handle pin, then pulled gears and removed second cap. There is a bearing below those gears and under the second cap. It was shot, balls rolling around and nothing left. New bearing was $7. I should have it in mail this week and I'll tell ya'll if it works as a fix.

SpokaneSteve
07-12-2016, 12:58 PM
Any chance you could put up a couple pictures?

When you say Cap do you mean the black cap on the top? Does it just pull off?

Thanks, Steve.

Loewen
07-12-2016, 04:46 PM
I'm not smart enough to post pics. There are 4 star screws in top cap. Take them out and it exposes the handle and 2 gears. You have to take a set pin out of the handle to get the gears out if needed. Then there is another cap below that with 4 screws. Remove those and you have a bearing sitting on top of a threaded housing that has a turnscrew pointing south towards the wheel.

Diagram on this page--> https://www.etrailer.com/question-45565.html

Loewen
07-12-2016, 04:47 PM
Granted, that is a 2 wheel model, but all F2 jacks have same guts I believe.

Plus, that site has all gear or bearing parts you might need to order.

MattsCraft
07-12-2016, 05:51 PM
See this post for the service bulletin.:D

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=66806

deminimis
08-01-2016, 12:41 PM
On or off topic, whatever you decide. I jumped on the F2 band wagon a few years back. Once it arrived, I was none too impressed. Also, the location of our factory jack is just plain stupid. Dick and Jane physics indicates the location is not optimal (plus, in my case, you have to stoop over to crank the jack due to the hull). Finally decided to mount up a long jack and, yes, simply bolt it on the tongue. It may not be as sano as the factory location, but it works sooo much better. Actually, wasn't the quickest solution as I ordered this jack a few years back with intention of mounting it is the factory location. With that, I long since lost the two backing strips. So welded up some oversized backing strips (two pieces each sandwiched and welded) and some 7/16 grade 8 bolts (had to drill out he mounting plate as they were drilled for 3/8 bolts (drilled 1/2" as it allowed the correct spacing so the bolt are snug against the top and bottom on the tongue). Anyway, not the way I'd do it now (I would have gone with a weld-on mount and, frankly, a massive Bull Dog with a pad as I can't roll my boat around anyway), but it's night and day difference. Can't tell you how many time I blew out my back with that stupid factory Fulton due to the location. This is a breeze. Just thought I'd share.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-2cbSEXXVPvU/V59oarG-pCI/AAAAAAAAFwE/CXrU-OwQOtog23BeCK6uYNehDdwnqTDUACCo/s640/20160730_073547.jpg

Due to the custom coupler I installed a few years back (with a really deep ball pocket), I really have to crank my trailer up to unhitch it. With the factory jack, I had to put a landscape block under the jack to raise the trailer enough. Not so with this. Here it is and for all of $40, you can't hardly go wrong:

https://www.dutton-lainson.com/proddetail.php?prod=R22817

Upnorth07
08-17-2016, 03:20 PM
I have the original Fulton Magnum Series 1500lb jack on my MC trailer and other than it be very difficult to crank, up or down lately, it has been flawless and reliable.

Searched here on how to "service it" and didn't find much for the Magnum Series but found this video on etrailer - perfect: http://images.etrailer.com/static/images/video/faq-rebuilding-fulton-jacks-1500lbs-2500lbs.webm

However, I could not tap out the pin holding the handle on so I poured a little motor oil down the inside walls and cranked it up and down about 10 times while in the bench vice. It quieted down and seemed to crank easier. But, it is messy. Some oil flowed down the jack (good), onto the wheel and then the floor. So, word of caution there.

deminimis
08-17-2016, 03:31 PM
Took my orig jack apart once I put the awesome jack above on. The orig jack was full of rust scale and metal from the mechanism. I mean, it was loaded up with Rust scale. Boat only sees fresh water and is stored inside every night. So, I'd rec (if some of you choose to keep that orig jack), that you completely disassemble the jack to clean an lube the internals. However, I still rec you toss them into the dumpster and go with a fresh setup, but that's just my opinion.

Loewen
08-18-2016, 10:50 AM
I called Cequent, the company that makes Fulton jacks. They sent me free parts (bearing was shot). Took three weeks for the parts to show up! I replaced everything. Still is tough to crank. Their jacks are JUNK and the company has poor service. MC needs to switch providers.

dt37803
08-18-2016, 01:34 PM
The Fulton jack on my 14 X2 failed last fall. when the dealer lifted the tongue with the forklift to move the boat the wheel and main shaft fell out on the ground. The factory replaced it under the 5 year MC warranty. The new one is getting stiff to crank already. The X2 trailer is positioned such that you completely submerse the jack while launching and loading. The water intrusion is what breaks down the grease and thus component failure.

deminimis
08-22-2016, 05:34 PM
Just one last post on this and I'll shut up. I've been using the DL jack for a good month or so now. Prior to that, knowing I was going to have to jack my boat up at the end of the day covered me like a wet blanket. This jack is soo easy. I don't have to bend over and it just cranks up with one hand (and a light grip at that). The Fulton, in that crappy location, took two hands and my whole body to crank (pull hard down, then push it up, then pull hard down, then push it up -not really cranking, but pulling and pushing). I'm not exactly a whisper of a man either. So, there you go. Only $40 and it works great. Now, for something completely different (this past Saturday with me surfing while some sort of shenanigans was going on in the boat):
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7569/29057525442_348119e0b9_c.jpg

Loewen
08-23-2016, 09:05 AM
way to liven up the post

Upnorth07
08-23-2016, 11:53 AM
Yah, dig the shennigans!

Update on mine...I did pour motor oil down the inside walls of mine. This did make it WAY easy to crank up and down now.

What i surmised is that I over-cleaned the jack and removed all of the grease on the shaft that goes up and down (insert off-color comments here :))

So, with the motor oil as lube, it works great. BUT, it is MESSY! Road dirt sticks to it like crazy so I am now working to find a happy medium.

So, motor oil does work.

Kell
08-23-2016, 02:42 PM
See this post for the service bulletin.:D

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=66806

I also have an older (no vent hole) F2 jack. I called Fulton tech support and was provided the services bulletin referenced in MattsCraft post. Followed the procedure outlined in the services bulletin, drilled hole, pumped marine grease in the vent hole, and it has made it easier to crank my F2 jack.

moosehead
08-23-2016, 04:08 PM
Ditto to all the above on the F2 and greasing. Add to that I bought a replacement as the 2015 wheel snapped off at the base of the jack while rolling across some gravel - my mistake.

All in all, cannot believe this thing cost $140, it should be fool & bombproof. Yea, I was stupid enough to buy a second one if for no other reason it bolted on easily.

brucemac
08-23-2016, 05:24 PM
Good to know about the bearing under the 2nd black cap/gears. I had to buy a complete new F2 1600 last week after I lost a handle on the road during vacation and blew up the inside after trying to repair when I got home. It must have been that bearing I couldn't see. If/when this one fails, I'll be looking for something else. They look cool, but that's about it.

schaeffa
08-25-2016, 04:22 PM
Try and Youtube trailer jack maintenance. Most of these are similar and fairly easy to re-grease the gears and threaded shaft.
This needs to be done as regular maintenance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qJ4IG1XonM

GiantDO@X35
09-03-2016, 09:46 AM
Ditto to all the above on the F2 and greasing. Add to that I bought a replacement as the 2015 wheel snapped off at the base of the jack while rolling across some gravel - my mistake.

All in all, cannot believe this thing cost $140, it should be fool & bombproof. Yea, I was stupid enough to buy a second one if for no other reason it bolted on easily.

Same problem on my '14 trailer. Just couldn't crank anymore despite my whole weight and strength (a lot more weight than strength). Just bought a replacement F2 with hole predrilled. Will keep up on greasing this time around.

musicmd
09-03-2016, 11:56 AM

I am actually waiting for a factory replacement for my 2015 Fulton F2, which also suffered a snapped off wheel at the base of the jack. However, I was rolling the wheel across the smooth concrete floor in my garage when it happened. I was pushing the tongue sideways to jockey the stern into the back corner, so the wheel had to pivot, but there is no way this should have happened.

To their credit, Fulton agreed to send a factory replacement, although the service tech was pretty surly and essentially accused me of abusing the jack or lying about how the failure occurred. I was ready to get testimony from my wife and neighbor, both of whom were present when the wheel snapped off.

Hearing your story, I have to wonder if this is a weakness in the Fulton F2. In my case, the only time the jack is engaged is when the boat is in our garage and the only time the jack wheel rolls or pivots is once I've backed the boat into the garage and disconnected it from our tow vehicle. This jack has only ever operated on a smooth concrete floor and it is never down when I'm towing. There is no way this should have happened unless there was a defect in this particular unit or this is a design flaw in the F2 in general.

Again, Fulton has agreed to replace it and the new unit is supposedly on the way to me. We'll see what happens moving forward. If I have further problems, I'll definitely be looking for another option.