PDA

View Full Version : Fulton Trailer Jack Service? Grease?

DBrown2
09-16-2013, 09:53 AM
I searched and found a ton of info on the F2, and just replacing but nothing on just servicing the current unit.

I noticed last weekend it took... both arms to crank and lots of Go Power... 05 X Star. This weekend, I saw a small hole, and I shot some grease in it real quick just to see. As I was unloading the boat, and cranking up.. did much smoother, but as I was letting it back down I noticed... it wanting to slip gears.

My thoughts or I see.. take out the tiny bolts/screws.. holding the cap on I assume. My old one just popped off. Then load the end up with grease, and just let it gravity feed for a day or so, then start using it.

If this doesnt fix the use of Popeye Arms, then I will just upgrade to something else.

Nordicron
09-16-2013, 10:18 AM
I just put a f2 on my boat not long ago and after like 2 weeks I noticed it hard to crank. So took cap off and those gears had grease so I knew it had to be inside the tube that needed grease. No way to easily get in but did notice 2 small holes inside the inner plastic box so just stuck the grease gun on those 2 holes and started pumping in a ton of grease. Worked the jack up and down unloaded full range and problem solved. It was kinda shoddy and ticked me off that I had to do this to a brand new jack though!

chopp
09-16-2013, 07:16 PM
i have heaps of problems with mine getting hard to crank . is it used in salt water a bit , but when i take it all apart (pretty easy once you work out how ) there is no corrosion and sometimes plenty of grease. once i had to take grease out and spray some lube in there to get it to work . i thought they were suppose to be low-no maintenance.

JDC
09-16-2013, 09:28 PM
Has anyone contacted Cequent/Fulton about this?
I thought the last time I cranked on mine it seemed harder, but I've been off work for a while recovering and thought it was just me being weak. :(

Contact By Phone
Cequent Performance Products
(800)632-3290

I may give 'em a call in the next day or so and see what they say. Can't hurt... if I actually get to talk to someone.

packman312
09-17-2013, 12:50 AM
I contacted them. Their service guy suggested taking top of and adding small amount of motor oil. I did this and have had no further problems.

PACKMAN

sk8salomon
08-04-2015, 06:26 AM
Dug this post up because i've had some issues with my F2. Bought 6 years ago and have had similar problems with hard to crank. Like many posted above, i removed the top crank cap and gears had plenty of grease. Found that adding lube to the slider helped some but still not 100% happy. Long story short, my jack is shot. Broke the t-handle lever, glued back together for another 1/2 summer work and now the damn crank arm snapped off. Should I think "oh well, $100/6years"? I did send pics and email to Fulton. No response.

Bubbacuse77
08-04-2015, 06:45 AM
They should send you a new one. It has alifetime warranty I believe. My new f2 winch came with a bad handle and they are sending me new parts. Did you try calling the customer service number?

Fletchx7
08-04-2015, 09:07 AM
Dug this post up because i've had some issues with my F2. Bought 6 years ago and have had similar problems with hard to crank. Like many posted above, i removed the top crank cap and gears had plenty of grease. Found that adding lube to the slider helped some but still not 100% happy. Long story short, my jack is shot. Broke the t-handle lever, glued back together for another 1/2 summer work and now the damn crank arm snapped off. Should I think "oh well, $100/6years"? I did send pics and email to Fulton. No response.

I'd contact Fulton as well. The bracket that holds the gear assembly broke in my 2 year old jack and Fulton sent me a replacement. I kept the old one for parts. If you want, I can dig into it and see what parts I can salvage for you. Let me know.

el Dax
08-04-2015, 09:22 AM
Good thread! I was just thinking about how to service this thing.

sk8salomon
08-04-2015, 02:41 PM
Thanks guys. Last month I went on Fulton's site and made a generic request for service. About 3 days later, i recieved an email from "Bill" in the service dept. He asked if I had pics so i sent him some. This past weekend the handle snapped off so i took a pic, dug up the old email and sent him another one with the update. No response yet but i'll let you know if i hear.

In the meantime, i went ahead and ordered one from etrailer.com. Cheapest one i could find ($115) with free shipping :) if it lasts another 6 years i'll be happy.

chevroletman
04-27-2016, 09:19 PM
I took the cap off by removing the two screws. I could see the gears with little grease. I filled it up to the top with Marine Grease. Put the cap back on and tried again and it still cranked hard.
Took the cap back off and my Grease was still there. Put a little more grease on a putty knife and forced it down inside out shaft from the top of Jack. Repeated the step numerous times. Probably used half a tube of Grease. Turn very easy now! :)

Loewen
07-12-2016, 11:35 AM
Glad I found this thread. My Fulton F2 1600 jack on a 2014 MC Trailer quit cranking altogether. I pulled the top cap, plenty of grease on the gears. Pulled the handle pin, then pulled gears and removed second cap. There is a bearing below those gears and under the second cap. It was shot, balls rolling around and nothing left. New bearing was $7. I should have it in mail this week and I'll tell ya'll if it works as a fix.

SpokaneSteve
07-12-2016, 11:58 AM
Any chance you could put up a couple pictures?

When you say Cap do you mean the black cap on the top? Does it just pull off?

Thanks, Steve.

Loewen
07-12-2016, 03:46 PM
I'm not smart enough to post pics. There are 4 star screws in top cap. Take them out and it exposes the handle and 2 gears. You have to take a set pin out of the handle to get the gears out if needed. Then there is another cap below that with 4 screws. Remove those and you have a bearing sitting on top of a threaded housing that has a turnscrew pointing south towards the wheel.

Diagram on this page--> https://www.etrailer.com/question-45565.html

Loewen
07-12-2016, 03:47 PM
Granted, that is a 2 wheel model, but all F2 jacks have same guts I believe.

Plus, that site has all gear or bearing parts you might need to order.

MattsCraft
07-12-2016, 04:51 PM
See this post for the service bulletin.:D

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=66806