PDA

View Full Version : Another Mystery Leak

wesgardner
09-07-2004, 09:04 PM
Hey All,

Here are the clues - only leaks when moving, the carpet in the "trunk" on the starboard side gets soaked, a fair amount of water comes in from that starboard aft quarter, it is not the stuffing box or rudder.

I did a cursory exam but could tell where it's leaking, I can't see the entire run of the exhaust pipes but I'd think if it were them, they'd leak when standing still as well....hmmmmm :confused:

I think I'll try having someone drive while I get in the trunk and poke around....

Any takers?

Wes

ski_king
09-07-2004, 10:22 PM
:confused:
How about the speedometer tubing?

The exaust will only leak when running if the leak is above the water line. If it is a exaust leak the water will be warm.

Also left power turns can throw any water there is in the bilge onto the starboard rear carpet area.

wesgardner
09-08-2004, 07:48 AM
My speedo tubing is amidships about even with the raw water intake...I saw the thread on the ruptured/split ballast tank, I've not seen one on my boat so there's another possiblity...although on my boat that's about six feet ahead of where the carpet is getting soaked but I guess stranger things have happened...

I can't really tell if the water is any warmer than the river, it's not as warm as what comes directly out of the pipes...it's funny 'cause the carpeted area is elevated from the bottom of the boat by about 6 or 8 inches....

Maybe this weekend if the rain from the hurricane comes and goes I'll be able to have a more careful look/see...

Wes

G-man
09-08-2004, 09:24 AM
could be water coming between the deck and the hull where they join at the rubrail

NeilM
09-08-2004, 09:49 AM
If it's the exhaust, it would leak while standing still with the engine running.

I think George is on the right track as to where to start.. Have someone drive the boat hard to starboard, varying speeds to see if water is coming in at the rubrail.

east tx skier
09-08-2004, 09:49 AM
Wes, this is a long shot, but just noticed this as a potential leak on my father in law's boat, so I figured I'd pass it on. He was missing one of the screws on his impeller access plate. Probably didn't result in a substantial leak, but we're pretty sure that this resulted in a little water getting in the boat. Like I said, "a long shot," but perhaps worth mentioning. I'd look into the rubrail joint.

wesgardner
09-08-2004, 10:37 AM
Hey All,

Hadn't thought of the rail.....

Wes

wesgardner
09-14-2004, 07:54 AM
Hey george,

You're the winner in the mystery leak contest - it's the hull-to-deck joint right on the aft starboard corner...

Apparently the hull is shaped at that aft corner such that at speed, water is delivered right to that spot in copious quantities - I got down in the "trunk" while my daughter drove at "wakeboard speed" and sure enough, LOTS of water comes in at that point...upon closer inspection, it appears the boat took a hit against something hard right on that corner as there are cracks in the gel sort of radiating out from that point.

Thanks again for everyone's help!

Wes