PDA

View Full Version : The Xstar is Still heating up what's next

Thetripinme
09-15-2013, 02:16 AM
I got hot and discovered the impeller was gone so I got a New impeller. New thermostat (160). And blew out all the hoses. What's next. So in the drive way I'm good. I get out in the water nothing in toe, we jump to 160 then 180 then 200...ALARM. I'm able to drop temp when I drive in circles? But even going down stream the temp keeps climbing and I have to kill the engine every few minutes. Kind of a drag with the wife and kids and no beer

gotjag941
09-15-2013, 07:07 AM
When you replaced the impeller was the impeller in on piece or was it broken apart? If it was broken apart your going to need to find all of the pieces should fix your issue

Rossterman
09-15-2013, 12:18 PM
Make sure all old impeller pieces are out as was said above. Typically they block flow at the transmission cooler which is directly downstream from the pump. Also make sure you got the correct impeller- they make a 2" wide version and a 1 7/8" version. Some have installed the shorter one by accident and it will run ok at idle but overheat when running at speed. You need the 2" version for our boats.

mikeg205
09-15-2013, 12:23 PM
Also check that your sending unit it operating properly. You may want to rent a temp gun to confirm your engine is really heating up.

Thetripinme
09-15-2013, 01:16 PM
-The impeller was missing all fins.
-I thought that I was able to blow out all of the peices. I removed all hoses one at a time and gunned it for a few seconds. I have done this 3 different times. ( if there is a better way please let me know).
-The correct impeller was installed.
-I will have to check the sending unit but its pretty hot to the touch.
-I was thinking water pump??

Here is today's plan
-ill blow out the cooling system one more time
-ill pull the water pump and test it
-ill test the thermostat (boil it in a pot) make sure no rubber from the impeller got in there.
Thanks for the ideas.

mikeg205
09-15-2013, 01:30 PM
sounds like a plan..

CantRepeat
09-16-2013, 06:33 AM
You need to look inside the transmission cooler.