PDA

View Full Version : Hot Tub Chemicals - What do you use?

PendO
10-19-2005, 04:46 PM
So, I am starting up the hot tub for the fall/winter and I am thinking about chaning to granular chlorine (Di-chlor) ... I had been using BaquaSpa chemicals but quite honestly it was a pain in the butt. I'd be interested to know how many people use granular chlorine, chlorine tablets, bromine tablets, or something else ... its a 1994 Hot Springs Grandee ... FWIW

SD190EVO
10-19-2005, 07:10 PM
I use granular in the tub and tabs in the pool. Works well for me.

milkmania
10-19-2005, 10:24 PM
granular chlorine in the hottub, chlorine tablets in the pool

Baquacil products are outragious!!!

dude, mine is a 1994 HotSprings Grandee!!!

have you retrofited the heater to the No-Fault 6000 yet?
(stainless steel construction)

Workin' 4 Toys
10-19-2005, 11:52 PM
Mine is an Artesian 600 gallon, we use granular di-chlor.

When I get back outside, I'll see what brand we are on. If it matters to you.

PendO
10-20-2005, 02:14 AM
Mine is an Artesian 600 gallon, we use granular di-chlor.

When I get back outside, I'll see what brand we are on. If it matters to you.

Thanks all ... I guess I was just feeling like blowing $$ when I bought all my Chemicals when I got the tub, should have just stuck with chlorine in the first place but I bought the sales pitch... if anyone uses BaquaSpa I'd be happy to ship them my chemicals (just pay the shipping) as mine will just be sitting on the shelf.

Milk - I have not, was it more efficient for you? Actually we have only used it for a 4 month span (Fall 2004) and then I "forgot" to check the chemicals (gross) and cleaned it up and never filled it once this summer arrived. I am now replacing the filters, putting a new cover on it, and getting a cover lifter. (This is the 1st tub that I have owned so I should have paid more attention to chemicals in the first place:()

I bought it for 2K in the Srping of 04 from a retired guy who was downsizing to a smaller model, he took immaculate care of it but from what I can tell he has just replaced the ozinator (do you use one, or reccomend it?). It was sure a savings from the new one my wife had picked out and put down $$ on at the home and garden show:) We had to put something in before they put the houses in next to us ... otherwise it would have been impossible (without a crane) to get it in the back yard as our PUD lots do not have a lot of space on the sides.

I will check out the heater, have you looked at replacing the temperature setting to something digital - not sure if it is even an option. Oh well, toys and replacement parts ... there's always Thursday!

Casey

sizzler
10-20-2005, 03:29 AM
granular here......

milkmania
10-20-2005, 10:26 AM
Milk - I have not, was it more efficient for you? Actually we have only used it for a 4 month span (Fall 2004) and then I "forgot" to check the chemicals (gross) and cleaned it up and never filled it once this summer arrived. I am now replacing the filters, putting a new cover on it, and getting a cover lifter. (This is the 1st tub that I have owned so I should have paid more attention to chemicals in the first place:()

I will check out the heater, have you looked at replacing the temperature setting to something digital - not sure if it is even an option. Oh well, toys and replacement parts ... there's always Thursday!

Casey

I too learned about keeping chemicals balanced.... out of balance is what took out the first heater... corrosion
I don't believe digital controls are available for that tub, but of course you can go through and replace everything... but then you lose out on the savings between it and new tub.
Did you find a good deal on a cover? I've looked for a while, and I'm going local for about $295.00.
My son worked for the pool place where it came in as a trade-in, we gave $2500.00 for it a couple of years ago.
We only use ours through the cooler fall, winter, & spring months... then it just sits.
I refinished the wood when we first got it, and it still looks fresh.
I need a dimmer switch for the light... it doesn't dim, just on or off.
Unknown to me, the 30 amp gfci got hit by lightning at the same time the travel trailer's A/C got hit, and I didn't find out about it until I opened the tub for the season.
My breaker box is probably set up different than yours, but mine's got 3 breakers..... a 20 amp double pole gfci, 30 amp double pole gfci, and a 30 amp single pole gfci.
(The travel trailer is on the single pole 30 amp breaker)

note: a double pole 30 amp gfci is a $100.00 bill!
also, did you find a good deal on filters? it appears they are around $25.00 bucks a pop here.......times 5!

pilot02
10-20-2005, 10:30 AM
Bromine Granular here and my tub was free. I currently live in a rental and my neighbor had a brand new tub that he'd called an electrician out to wire and the electrician wouldn't do it since it was rental property. Instead of asking the landlord, his wife turned it into a goldfish pond. Nasty as hell when I got it but had never been run so there was no crap in the piping luckily. Filter was even immaculate. Scrubbed it thoroughly, installed the wiring myself and voila, worked perfectly. My landlord was actually the one who told me the neighbor had abandoned it saying I was going to get it so once I had it all up and running I stopped him as he was driving down the street one day and invited him in to check out the wiring installation (all above code) under the premise, better to ask forgiveness than permission.

Only expenses were the cover and the wiring supplies....

phecksel
10-20-2005, 01:02 PM
One way to significantly cut down on the chemical usage, ban swimsuits. I know it causes a problem for the swimsuit thread...

Seriously the soap in the suits causes a lot of problems requiring mucho more chemicals.

maristarman
10-20-2005, 06:10 PM
Thanks all ... I guess I was just feeling like blowing $$ when I bought all my Chemicals when I got the tub, should have just stuck with chlorine in the first place but I bought the sales pitch... if anyone uses BaquaSpa I'd be happy to ship them my chemicals (just pay the shipping) as mine will just be sitting on the shelf.

Casey

I've been using BaquaSpa for almost 8 years and never had a problem.

What were the problems you had with it?

PendO
10-20-2005, 06:50 PM
I've been using BaquaSpa for almost 8 years and never had a problem.

What were the problems you had with it?

After not adding any chem's for a week I went to use it and it was foamy and filmy and if I remember right almost reddish? (the water was only 2-3 weeks old) ... I'm not sure it part of the problem was that the previous owner used granular chlorine and the cover was not completly dry (seems like they always stay a little damp-the vinly outer covering) so the residual chlorine in the cover may have reacted with the chem's in the water?? I had originally gone with it b/c I had been told that once I got the fresh water prepped I could go 5-7 days without adding chems (even though the tub has an Ozonator). So my poor management led to 5 filters getting ruined - they were all slimy (either buy new filters or buy the cleaning liquid - just as cheap to order new filters online). Probably like a guy buying a Ducati and thinking he can maintain it like a Kawi or Honda.

AirJunky
10-20-2005, 06:54 PM
Hey Casey,
Where did you get your new cover? Mine blew off the tub in that big 70 mph windstorm a couple months ago & threw it across the yard in 2 pieces! Time to get a new one & get the tub warmed up again.

PendO
10-20-2005, 07:11 PM
Bill - I haven't bought one yet ... the OEM replacement at Pool World is 480 less a $50 coupon if you go online at poolworld.biz ... I found a few different online places online but I bookmarked them at home on my laptop ... in town Accent Stove and Spa was 425 for the same cover so I may just go down there and order one, not too excited to drop 5 bills (inc tax) for a cover though:(

AirJunky
10-20-2005, 07:36 PM
Man, I hear that. I found a place in Seattle for $350. And I think there is another in Hayden Lake for about the same price.

Workin' 4 Toys
10-21-2005, 10:46 AM
Don't forget the good coating of 303 on that vinyl.

Make sure you check for PH, alkalinity, and calcium hardness in your tubs too. Critical for longevity. And shock it on occasion too. (Or change the water)

Cheap tip. not many people know this, so here goes. Ever look at the side of an ARM & HAMMER BAKING SODA box. If not, it is worth the view. Don't say I never gave you anything!:D

milkmania
10-21-2005, 04:36 PM
sodium bicarbonate.....

I buy it in 50 lb bags....even says Arm & Hammer on the side8p

Workin' 4 Toys
10-23-2005, 11:22 PM
Almost as many uses as duct tape....;)

PendO
10-24-2005, 12:17 AM
Tub as heating up as I speak ... after pricing new chemicals and running it by my wife I used up the remainder of my supply of BaquaSpa (new boat = easy / new chemicals = not easy)... we shall see, water is brand new ... guess on the next cycle of water I will switch as I will then be out of chems. but I will give these a 2nd try as I couldn't beat the price ... OMFG, ballsy by the Astros!!!! 6-6