PDA

View Full Version : call the lawyer now? Home warranty

02ProstarSammyD
09-11-2013, 12:07 PM
Ok guys thought I would get some opinions. Last week hvac unit went out. Compressor is shot and they found the heat pack was toast too. Had the service guy come out through AHS and he says his load calc calls for a 2.5 ton instead of a 3 ton. The unit is about 20 years old fyi in an 87 house. They are saying because the unit was not sized properly they will not provide a new unit through the home warranty but instead only pay out a small amount of cash and I'm on my own. The difference was about 3k to get a new unit. SOOOO I called another guy out on my own and he found I needed 2.6 tons so either a 2.5 or 3 ton meets code.

I told this to home warranty and they blew me off and said theyd call back again within 3 days. We are now on day 7 of no A/c and its 90 degrees here. Have 2 kids and I'm getting fed up. Because of "my delays with the payment" they have pushed my tentative install back another week so min 2 weeks without ac. Should I just lawyer up now? Feel like I'm getting bent over and bs'd

D3skier
09-11-2013, 12:12 PM
if it's going to be that long without A/C go to walmart and buy a window unit. fairly inexpensive and does a pretty good job. We bought one a few years back when ours went out and it was able to keep the whole downstairs cool with no issues.

Traxx822
09-11-2013, 12:15 PM
Two things, Your AHS service clearly isn't all that great. & Don't depend on it any longer.

Here is why, who warranties a 20 year old appliance? Scum does. And when you get paid out on it you about get what it is worth in scrap. With your 3 ton unit difference price being around $3000 I can tell you I understand they didn't give you more than $100 for the unit. I just had the AC unit replaced from a 2.5 to a 3 ton unit when my 20 year appliance went out. It cost me $2950 and that included a new coil. So your estimate from them is probably inflated to the point where you are getting nothing for your old one.

Ok now, what I recommend is getting whatever you can from them in a check to apply to your own service provider. Making a more realistic bid that you will receive from another contractor a tiny bit easier to swallow. If they won't do that then you are SOL.

I'm trying to help. This is from experience. I manage and maintain foreclosures, rentals for multi property owners etc etc. And have dealt with these warranty companies.

A lawyer is not going to help I don't think. These guys usually have airtight agreements that you willingly signed.

02ProstarSammyD
09-11-2013, 12:19 PM
well its also inflated atm because I was quoted a tol trane. Going to look at less expensive units asap in preperation. We only plan to stay in the house another year or 2. My issue at this point is that their argument is "we'd pay for it but the past unit was sized improperly" based on a bobo calc that has been debunked

jgraham37128
09-11-2013, 12:41 PM
This is why I don't buy home warranties! It's always some little ole BS that gets you. I never warranty anything past what the manufacture offers. Save time and headaches and I won't be without A/C for 7 days when it's 90 degrees.

Get it replaced as soon as you can and drop their A$$ as soon as you have a check in hand!

02ProstarSammyD
09-11-2013, 12:52 PM
Yea my plan is to drop them after. Honestly I just put the warranty on this winter as a precaution for the last year of ownership. I just went through bs with them on a water heater and ended up replacing myself and getting a small portion reimbursed. They are a pita but at this point its not only a money problem but more so fighting for whats right. While we may have the money to get it fixed along of young couples don't. Gotta put your foot down on scammers sometime

JohnE
09-11-2013, 01:11 PM
Traxx is dead on. Get anything you can and hire your own contractor. And if you are definitely selling in a year or two get a lower seer and save a few bucks.

Dylan
09-11-2013, 01:23 PM
Two things, Your AHS service clearly isn't all that great. & Don't depend on it any longer.

Here is why, who warranties a 20 year old appliance? Scum does. And when you get paid out on it you about get what it is worth in scrap. With your 3 ton unit difference price being around $3000 I can tell you I understand they didn't give you more than $100 for the unit. I just had the AC unit replaced from a 2.5 to a 3 ton unit when my 20 year appliance went out. It cost me $2950 and that included a new coil. So your estimate from them is probably inflated to the point where you are getting nothing for your old one.

Agreed completely. Just replaced the A/C condenser at my house. Paid $3200 installed for a 14 Seer 3 or 4 ton Trane.

Curious that if your unit was oversized by .5 ton, it would make a difference.... Good luck.

kkkeating
09-11-2013, 01:32 PM
What does the warrenty state for coverage and exclusions? Unless the calcs were signed and stamped by a licensed mechanical engineer specializing in HVAC systems, I wouldn't accept them as being valid.

Hammer
09-11-2013, 01:43 PM
well its also inflated atm because I was quoted a tol trane. Going to look at less expensive units asap in preperation. We only plan to stay in the house another year or 2. My issue at this point is that their argument is "we'd pay for it but the past unit was sized improperly" based on a bobo calc that has been debunked

Shoot me your contact info and I will send my guy over to give you a quote. I am a GC in the Raleigh area and have a "few" contacts. I would be glad to hook a fellow TTer up.

02ProstarSammyD
09-11-2013, 01:57 PM
sent a pm

Hammer
09-11-2013, 02:07 PM
He should be calling you now.

Ski-me
09-11-2013, 02:49 PM
I just replace my rental with a new furnace and probably similar type of warranty company. What they "cover" is considered a "builder's grade" unit only....regardless if you have a nicer unit in there or not. So, if you have a 92% efficiency, they only replace with an 80% efficient furnace.

Also, they will only use their approved HVAC guys. If you use your own and they are not approved, then no coverage.

For 20 year old unit, one thing that jumps out is the efficiency of the unit from old standards to new standards. An 80% efficient unit 20 years ago is not equal to an 80% efficient unit today.....so the sizing will/may be slightly smaller. This may be your situation (not like for like).

What I ultimately did was "cash out" and use my own HVAC guy. The warranty company only gave me like $500 and I covered the rest. I worked with my guy and came to an agreement on price. Put in a Bryant Variable unit vs. the warranty's Goodman base model.

Anyways, I assume this logic would also apply towards your AC unit.

Bottom line, the warranty is not really worth it so far for me when I account for how much I pay them each year on my rentals.

02ProstarSammyD
09-11-2013, 03:06 PM
Well it was a gamble. I had AHS on my previous home and the unit went out there. I paid 50 bucks and everything was taken care of. We sold the house less than a year later. I signed up again for the systems plan knowing the unit was old. Kind of a cheapskate move but hopefully i get more out of it than I've put in. Thanks Hammer for the hookup. Hes coming out tomorrow morning to take a look.

SkiDog
09-11-2013, 03:33 PM
Shoot me your contact info and I will send my guy over to give you a quote. I am a GC in the Raleigh area and have a "few" contacts. I would be glad to hook a fellow TTer up.

Don't do it! This guy is a shyster!:uglyhamme:uglyhamme:uglyhamme

Just kidding Hammer!;)
If anybody can hook you up, Jason (Hammer)can. Way to step up Ham bone!:woohoo:

Traxx822
09-11-2013, 04:53 PM
Nobody can put a 80% furnace in a house that's set up for 92% what are they going to do. Install a flu up and out the roof just to pit in an 80. They might make you pay for the upgrade if they only cover builders grade and that's defined at 80% but if you had a 93% in their before. Be sure you are going to put an 93% back in.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Hammer
09-11-2013, 04:57 PM
Well it was a gamble. I had AHS on my previous home and the unit went out there. I paid 50 bucks and everything was taken care of. We sold the house less than a year later. I signed up again for the systems plan knowing the unit was old. Kind of a cheapskate move but hopefully i get more out of it than I've put in. Thanks Hammer for the hookup. Hes coming out tomorrow morning to take a look.

Let me know if he doesn't hook you up. I'll smack him around a bit.:D

02ProstarSammyD
09-18-2013, 12:38 PM
So this took an interesting turn. Had Hammers guy come out (thanks hammer!) and he said a 3 ton unit which is the same as the existing. I had another guy come out and do a formal load calc and he said 3 ton. Compiled all my information and had a lawyer buddy shoot it over to them. Low and behold they called me that same day willing to get stuff done! Still no unit installed but we are praying this all works out.

thatsmrmastercraft
09-18-2013, 12:51 PM
Interesting and unexpected turn indeed.

Hammer
09-18-2013, 01:16 PM
So this took an interesting turn. Had Hammers guy come out (thanks hammer!) and he said a 3 ton unit which is the same as the existing. I had another guy come out and do a formal load calc and he said 3 ton. Compiled all my information and had a lawyer buddy shoot it over to them. Low and behold they called me that same day willing to get stuff done! Still no unit installed but we are praying this all works out.

Glad I could help!

MattsCraft
09-18-2013, 04:32 PM
Went through this with AHS, you should have a buy out clause, which is what I did on my AC. On my water heater, had no issues, replaced a leaking unit with a brand new gas power vent, nice unit. Furnace, replaced the PC board no issues.

Now on the AC, A coil was bad, compressor was fine, however they stated it was a 10 seer, which is no longer made, I had to upgrade the A coil to a 13 seer, which according to them meant replacing the compressor also at my cost, plus the idiot told me my electrical disconnect was not up to current code and that would have to also be updated. My out of pocket was like $3500, told them to shove it pay me the A coil difference buy out which was like $100 less than their cost. My nephew was working with a re-hab guy at the time, certified HVAC guy. Replaced the A coil with s 13 seer, kept the old compressor, which is now run another 2 years and must be like 15 years old now. Certainly on borrowed time, but if it ain't broke, not gonna replace it.:rolleyes:

AHS is a bunch of crooks IMHO, but hey, got my money back and then some on the PC board and water heater. Warranty was like $385, water heater $800, PC board $1500

02ProstarSammyD
09-19-2013, 11:42 AM
Go figure we are back at it again! After being told everything was ok the company who came out before didn't do an official load test.......back to square 1. Even better the company wrote down that there were no issues with unit..............

so now AHS wants to send yet another person out to verify the unit is actually bad and if it is they will schedule another load test. OMFG I work with gov't operations all day long and this is beyond anything I've seen before. INSANE. Now 2 weeks into no unit at all and 3 months of a failing unit. I'm going to go ballistic.

To make it even better I requested the cash out last night to just end the bs and she says "well the last company said there is nothing wrong with the unit".

*gun to head*

thatsmrmastercraft
09-19-2013, 11:53 AM
This is the turn I expected............

02ProstarSammyD
09-19-2013, 12:20 PM
^its your thoughts that are controlling the world! Now quit thinking about it. So pissed off right now I could poop a kitten

thatsmrmastercraft
09-19-2013, 12:25 PM
Ok, now I'm thinking you need new tires and wheels for your trailer.:rolleyes:

Traxx822
09-19-2013, 12:39 PM
Ok, now I'm thinking you need new tires and wheels for your trailer.:rolleyes:

Haha, walked into that one sammy

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

nascar
09-19-2013, 12:41 PM
ever thought about calling the local " TV trouble shooters " they handle cases where people are having trouble with companies . Maybe some bad press on TV for them would help your case .

76S&S
09-19-2013, 02:11 PM
^its your thoughts that are controlling the world! Now quit thinking about it. So pissed off right now I could poop a kitten

Sorry for your misery, but I nearly spit my drink all over the place when I read the above.

02ProstarSammyD
09-19-2013, 03:02 PM
Ok, now I'm thinking you need new tires and wheels for your trailer.

last weekend.........you are starting to tick me off haha

http://i1304.photobucket.com/albums/s521/williamburell/photo_zps6b9ca3bc.jpg

ever thought about calling the local " TV trouble shooters " they handle cases where people are having trouble with companies . Maybe some bad press on TV for them would help your case .

working on that now. Have a friend that is a higher up at a local channel