PDA

View Full Version : Extra 12v outlets for ballast pump?

MI_Corey
09-10-2013, 10:32 PM
I finally bought some fly high ballast bags and a tsunami pump after years of riding with no weight in the boat.After using them the first time I'm wondering if I should hide some extra 12v outlets where I have the bags. Is that what most people do or do you just tell someone else to plug in and unplug? I'm thinking if I add some in the correct places I could just do it myself instead of filling bags being a two person job. Suggestions?

bturner2
09-10-2013, 10:56 PM
You mean like this. Did these this summer on my 07 X2.....

MI_Corey
09-10-2013, 11:09 PM
Yeah I'm thinking that would be the way to go.

madcityskier
09-10-2013, 11:20 PM
Or plumb them in.

MI_Corey
09-10-2013, 11:41 PM
If I had a v drive I would definitely plumb 2 in the rear compartments but I move my bags around a lot in my dd

bturner2
09-11-2013, 02:11 PM
Actually I did look at doing that but I didn't like the overflow fill/drain solution. I don't think my tanks drain well now, thought it would just make things worse and didn't want to have to mess with new timers. I looked into the multi port selector valves they make (http://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-distribution-flow-manifold.html) but after calling Wake Makers the guy on the phone talked me out of them. Thought about doing the selector valves again later in the season but by that time it was mid July and the project was too late to make the top 10 list of things to work on.

For me at least having the power close by was a good compromise. If you're going to use the storage back there you're always going to be moving gear from one locker to the other so it's never going to be hands free. With the power outlets installed at least it's one step closer to reasonable.

GoneBoatN
09-11-2013, 02:15 PM
... I looked into the multi port selector valves they make (http://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-distribution-flow-manifold.html) but after calling Wake Makers the guy on the phone talked me out of them...

Can you elaborate on this comment?

bturner2
09-11-2013, 05:03 PM
Well that valve basically is a selector between to end tanks/bags. Set in one direction and you fill the tank, set it in the other and you fill the bag. I liked this because the bag is installed in the locker yet can still be removed without having to worry about permanent plumbing.

So the rub if you will from wake makers was that the valve was expensive and that it could be a restriction in the path. Mostly though he talked about cost. What I couldn't get out of my head was the permanent installation of the plumbed bags and the need to either reprogram or replace my timers. I also didn't like the idea that the overflow from the tank was what was filling my bag and thought that this couldn't be that efficient either. From reading posts on this site I know others have this set up and it seems to work well for them. I just liked the idea that I could have it both ways with the valves. If anyone has a couple hundred dollars I'd be willing to install this set up in my boat and test it for them. I'll even do the write up with pictures of the installation!

Being serious if the valves were $50 - $75 a piece they'd already be installed in my boat.

bturner2
09-11-2013, 05:24 PM
[QUOTE=bturner2;977226]

Well that valve basically is a selector between to end tanks/bags. Set in one direction and you fill the tank, set it in the other and you fill the bag. I liked this because the bag is installed in the locker yet can still be removed without having to worry about permanent plumbing.

So the rub if you will from Wake Makers was that the valve was expensive and that it could be a restriction in the path. Mostly though he talked about cost and how amazing the piggy back system was. I got the distinct feeling that I was being steered to the "Wagon Queen Family Truckster" from National Lampoon's Vacation. So either the valves are that bad or the other system is a real money maker for them or of course they're that good. I've dealt with Wake Makers a couple times and very happy with the service and the knowledgeable people answering the phones. I want to believe it's that the valves don't work so well. However if they're that bad I'm surprised they still sell them.

What I couldn't get out of my head was the permanent installation of the plumbed bags and the need to either reprogram or replace my timers. I also didn't like the idea that the overflow from the tank was what was filling my bag and thought that this couldn't be that efficient either. From reading posts on this site I know others have this set up and it seems to work well for them. I just liked the idea that I could have it both ways with the valves. If anyone has a couple hundred dollars I'd be willing to install this set up in my boat and test it for them. I'll even do the write up with pictures of the installation!

Being serious if the valves were $50 - $75 a piece I would have taken a gamble and they'd already be installed in my boat. At $120 a piece plus the work to take them out if they don't preform...... I'll pass.

GoneBoatN
09-11-2013, 05:59 PM
Thanks for the comments. I currently have the Integrated Bow Sack piggied backed off the KGB tank/pump. I can fill the KGB totally and about 1/2 of the IBS when the pump will kick off. Since I have the BIG, I can set my fill time to a lot of time so I think it is kicking off due to back pressure. I was considering going the selector route as well but had the same though on the cost sunk if it does not pan out that well. I'd also have to drill an additional vent hole. Currently I just put up with toggling the pump switch repeatedly if I want the IBS totally full. All of that has me thinking maybe I should just be using a tsunami pump.

BTW, I really liked where you put the 12v outlet in the rear locker. Easy to get to, functional and out of sight. Currently the only ones I have are at the drivers seat and glove box which means when I run the air pump to fill the tubes for the kids, I have a cord stretched all the way through the seating area. I see this being a winter project for me.

jgraham37128
09-11-2013, 06:08 PM
I agree, I have plans to add a 12V in my right rear compartment for my Tsunami pump and air pump for my girls tube. Right now we have to plug in next to the drivers seat.

bturner2
09-12-2013, 09:43 AM
I agree, I have plans to add a 12V in my right rear compartment for my Tsunami pump and air pump for my girls tube. Right now we have to plug in next to the drivers seat.

What I did on mine was order some tinned wire then got a 2 post spade connector from the auto parts store. Not sure if that's the correct name for it but what I does is allows you to connect two wires to a single post on the existing outlet post. I loosened up driver's panel then disconnected the wire on the outlet. I attached my new wire and the existing power wire to the post connector then attach the two post connector to the existing power outlet. This allowed me to run the new outlets in series with the existing power outlet. I did the same thing at the new starboard power outlet then ran a wire around the stern to the outlet I installed in the port locker. I added plastic wire guard to the wire runs and everything looks just like the rest of the MC wire installation. The whole installation took about an hour and a half.

Traxx822
09-12-2013, 10:04 AM
I did the same thing. I installed 2 12v outlets in the walls of the rear lockers. So now I have 3. One in dash and 2 in back.

Note to OP, most pumps will pump from one bag into the other bag if you are just switching sides surfing. That way your not draining and refilling over and over when you can just fill into the next bag.