PDA

View Full Version : Changing Thermostat in 91 Prostar 190

MCBoatGirl
09-10-2013, 07:02 PM
I purchased a new marine thermostat from skidim and I am changing it out this weekend. Are there any tips and tricks I should know for changing a thermostat? This is my first boat and the first engine I have ever even looked in so you can be incredibly elementary with advice and I will appreciate all of it.

Cloaked
09-10-2013, 07:20 PM
I purchased a new marine thermostat from skidim and I am changing it out this weekend. Are there any tips and tricks I should know for changing a thermostat? This is my first boat and the first engine I have ever even looked in so you can be incredibly elementary with advice and I will appreciate all of it. Another log-on / log -off fix-it... :D

Straight forward swap. Clean the thermostat housing mating surfaces well, for a good seal on the new gasket. Take note of the direction the old thermo comes out and reinstall the same direction.

I also use an anti-seize compound on the threaded connections for ease of future removal. Same as on the hose connections if you remove any hoses for ease of access.

Done deal

ricford
09-10-2013, 09:56 PM
Like cloaked said make sure the mating surfaces are clean. Scrape the old gasket off with a razor blade and then clean up the remnants with some acetone. Some guys swear by a gasket sealant as well, but I didn't find it necessary.
One of the easiest fixes you can do, and a good place to start.

MCBoatGirl
09-15-2013, 09:10 AM
Thanks! Replaced it yesterday.