PDA

View Full Version : Lets Talk Fins

Traxx822
09-10-2013, 04:07 PM
I wanted to put a thread together about fins and fin set ups.

Everything from Futures, to FCS to twinzers or thrusters or quad set up whathave you. What you like, don't like and need more info on.

To start I want to know what fins and what set up you like and prefer.

For me right now the board in my quiver i'm using most is my Fly Fish from Doomswell. I had them make it with a quad fin set up even though I ride it as a twin. I ordered it as a quad in case anyone else wanted to ride it and they were novice they would have better hold.

In it I am using Futures Stretch quads w/400 rears. So far they are my favorite set. I also have F4's in glass and Jordy's new set as well. Thats all I run on this board and leave other sets I have if anyone brings up thruster fin set ups or others.

http://i1347.photobucket.com/albums/p714/Trent_Von_Holten/Doomswell/IMAG0741_zps4365127c.jpg (http://s1347.photobucket.com/user/Trent_Von_Holten/media/Doomswell/IMAG0741_zps4365127c.jpg.html)

Traxx822
09-10-2013, 08:14 PM
Anyone have a suggestion for a thruster fin set up on a bigger board. I have a humanoid board we use the F4 as a twin and the Nana fins it came with in a 3fin thruster pattern.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

ttu
09-10-2013, 08:32 PM
I have a inland surfer swallow with a quad setup but only came with two fins. what makes it break easier, fins to the inside or outside?

I can get my old blue lake around easy on 360's but not the swallow.

Traxx822
09-10-2013, 08:56 PM
A swallow tail is pretty tough to turn a 3 on. I have only landed it a handful of times. The shape isn't really meant for that. You get a bot of speed with a swallow tail, letting you ride back farther and redo we easier and boost high on your arials.

What fin boxs does your board have.

You should only run your twin set up on the front two.

The fact that you suggest your twin fin set up fits in your front and back fin box means it's maybe not a standard futures fin box. Usually the rear fin boxs are thinner like mine. My front fins won't fit in the back and vice versa.

scott023
09-10-2013, 11:45 PM
Here are my fin set ups.

scott023
09-10-2013, 11:47 PM

scott023
09-10-2013, 11:48 PM

scott023
09-10-2013, 11:50 PM

AlbertaSurfer
09-10-2013, 11:55 PM
Dang... Scotty's got some nice sleds...

scott023
09-10-2013, 11:57 PM
Dang... Scotty's got some nice sleds...

I've got a little collection of Walker project boards. Lol

AlbertaSurfer
09-11-2013, 12:07 AM
I currently ride a Catch Surf 'The Super One'. They're built like boogy boards so they can handle being stuffed in a rack. It's a rocket compared to my Placebo epoxy surf skate I had before. All of my stuff is FCS, and I play with fins all the time. Right now I'm running a set of Santa Cruz glassys out of my big water board.

scott023
09-11-2013, 12:11 AM
I currently ride a Catch Surf 'The Super One'. They're built like boogy boards so they can handle being stuffed in a rack. It's a rocket compared to my Placebo epoxy surf skate I had before. All of my stuff is FCS, and I play with fins all the time. Right now I'm running a set of Santa Cruz glassys out of my big water board.

Love the shape of that board.

AlbertaSurfer
09-11-2013, 12:15 AM
I love the fact it's rotated 90* counterclockwise to where it's supposed to be...

Traxx822
09-11-2013, 12:15 AM
Scott, can you tell me what fins you have in that thruster set up.

Alberta that board is wack yo :cool: haha
My boards have marks and dings all over them. I got some board resin in the mail right now to do some repairs.

AlbertaSurfer
09-11-2013, 12:18 AM
That's why I bought the catch surf Traxx, it puts up with being tossed around. That big square tail is great for airs. Dane Reynolds rides ugly shapes like that.

treiter
09-11-2013, 12:21 AM
Very interesting to see everyone's boards. I am an intermediate surfer. I use a Ronix Koal Limited 5'-6". I usually run only a center fin. When I run the outside fins with the center fin the board becomes very unstable. Any ideas why? I can work the wave pretty good but I would like to do 360's and other tricks. Any suggestions on my next board?

Traxx822
09-11-2013, 12:22 AM
Some wax on the racks helps fyi. Looks kinda funky but I don't care. It gets on there anyways.

Originally I had it in the rack pad up and it left marks on the bottoms of my boards. Then I turned it over so the pad was touching the rack. That left and indent in the pad. Not good turned it around, noticed the wax was preventing marks on the board. Who would have thought?

Traxx822
09-11-2013, 12:23 AM
I just talked to Bryce at Day1 and have a sick board in the works. Doing a thruster set up. Looking for something new.

AlbertaSurfer
09-11-2013, 12:34 AM
I ride thrusters because my ocean boards are all thrusters. I'd like to try a quad though. I like the Doomswell stuff, I might have to give them a try. Does a glassy board hold up well being banged around a boat? I switched to epoxy on my ocean boards just because of travel damage. It sucks arriving in Australia and finding big dings from the 17hr flight...

Treiter. Try a board that's built like a surfskate. Ozzy Wright has some sick stuff out with Santa Cruz right now. You'll have to really snap a thruster to break the fins loose as bring it around, but you'll be able to generate more speed.

http://www.nhsfunfactory.com/item/44941379/santacruz/5-2-Vampirate-Gravedigger-PowerLyte

treiter
09-11-2013, 12:40 AM
What style of board is best for spins yet able to keep up speed?

AlbertaSurfer
09-11-2013, 12:46 AM
A flat, round disc. For sure

scott023
09-11-2013, 12:47 AM
Scott, can you tell me what fins you have in that thruster set up.

Alberta that board is wack yo :cool: haha
My boards have marks and dings all over them. I got some board resin in the mail right now to do some repairs.

Those are Future Yu one a Walker Project Cruiser.

Traxx822
09-11-2013, 12:48 AM
For surf style boards you want something with a round rear shape in order to have enough surface to easily do 3's. You can do a swallow tail but like said before it's harder. Riding in a twin config is going to make it loose so you can snap the board around. Riding with quad rears is more hold less speed thruster is less hold more speed than say riding twin.

Traxx822
09-11-2013, 12:51 AM
I ride thrusters because my ocean boards are all thrusters. I'd like to try a quad though. I like the Doomswell stuff, I might have to give them a try. Does a glassy board hold up well being banged around a boat? I switched to epoxy on my ocean boards just because of travel damage. It sucks arriving in Australia and finding big dings from the 17hr flight

Same here. My travel board is an epoxy pro board just for that reason.

The glass holds up well and is real easy to repair. I will say it does mark up easy from the rack. But I'm not that crazy. No one has ever said anything to me either.
I'm sure I could find a towel to put in. I should grab a hand towel and start doing that now that I think of it

Traxx822
09-11-2013, 12:53 AM
Those are Future Yu one a Walker Project Cruiser.

How do they feel on a lipslide? Snap easy, bottom turn? Compare it to F4's maybe

AlbertaSurfer
09-11-2013, 12:55 AM
Meh, I wouldn't worry about marks. I'll heel ding the crap out of a board in a season anyway. Ride 'em till they take on water!

scott023
09-11-2013, 08:21 AM
How do they feel on a lipslide? Snap easy, bottom turn? Compare it to F4's maybe

Better feel then the F4, and yes more snappy.

scott023
09-11-2013, 11:24 AM

Better feel then the F4, and yes more snappy.

Traxx822
09-11-2013, 11:35 AM
I'm going to get those next.

Anyone else using the Finatic program @ www.thesurfboardwarehouse.com ?

Aberta I know you can't bc you are in Cancada :cool:

AlbertaSurfer
09-11-2013, 11:42 AM
That's a bummer too because it's a slick program

Traxx822
09-11-2013, 11:55 AM
Heck yeah. @ $120.00 a year I get to try any amount of fins I want. Thats $20 less than I bought some other sets for. You can't beat it.

$10 a month. can't beat it.

ttu
09-11-2013, 03:09 PM
A swallow tail is pretty tough to turn a 3 on. I have only landed it a handful of times. The shape isn't really meant for that. You get a bot of speed with a swallow tail, letting you ride back farther and redo we easier and boost high on your arials.

What fin boxs does your board have.

You should only run your twin set up on the front two.

The fact that you suggest your twin fin set up fits in your front and back fin box means it's maybe not a standard futures fin box. Usually the rear fin boxs are thinner like mine. My front fins won't fit in the back and vice versa.

the fins are speed lines from isurfer. right now i have them both to the front and inside but they will fit the back outside also. yes the swallow allows you get good arials.

Traxx822
09-11-2013, 03:49 PM
the fins are speed lines from isurfer. right now i have them both to the front and inside but they will fit the back outside also. yes the swallow allows you get good arials.

Does IS make their own fins. Do they use futures base?

Ttu does your fin box have a small F under it?

ttu
09-11-2013, 04:00 PM
traxx, here is a photo of both the fin set up and the fins. inputs are appreciated.

ttu
09-11-2013, 04:01 PM
sorry I didn't get the uploaded

Traxx822
09-12-2013, 08:42 AM
TTU, I did some research and it looks like that board is stuck with the fins it came with. They have a couple more that you can buy that are speedline that might work but probably best to leave in what it came with.

This is a problem I have with Ronix, Inland, cmb or hyperlight. They don't make their stuff transferable between board brands.

If you notice signature board James walker IS is $849.00 and my custom board was $700.00 goes to show you how much $ they are actually making on these.

ttu
09-12-2013, 09:03 AM
Traxx, thank you for your assistance and taking to time to research. next season i may give your boards a try!