PDA

View Full Version : 1995 Maristar 225 VRS LT1

KTZ_MC
09-10-2013, 04:12 PM
I would like to start off by saying a huge “THANKS!” to everyone on this forum. Throughout the process I have gotten a ton of great ideas from others and found help resolving issues through the restoration process. When I bought the boat it was in fairly good condition, it just showed it’s true age more so than I cared for. Most of the work I have done this year is cosmetic, and next year I will be focusing on performance for surfing/wakeboarding. I will start off by adding pictures from when I got the boat in March.100912

KTZ_MC
09-10-2013, 06:00 PM
The first thing I did was to remove the original registration numbers and the boat name. The original owner decided that putting "I feel the need..." on the back was better than Mastercraft and had them painted on. I found that Easy-Off oven cleaner works wonders removing old paint but it was a bit time consuming. Here it is with the boat name removed, as well as the warning stickers

I also removed the ski ladder that came with it. I found that everyone kept leaving it down and it didn't look very good. Anyone have complaints not having a ladder? I know it didn't come with the boat,and it seemed it was only getting used when the ladies had to pee.... I replaced the boat name with domed chrome decals from waterskis.com and I think it looks much cleaner

I also wanted to replace the swim deck padding, although I don't have the funds for a new one at the moment. I found a roll of shop flooring at harbor freight and cut it to size as a temporary solution until I can find the $ for a Seadek faux

100921teak

Traxx822
09-10-2013, 06:32 PM
Congrats, Wlecome and nice boat. I have the 200VRS version of yours. I love mine and have done a lot to it. If you have questions you have come to the right place for answers.

I can't say I'm stoked about your mirror decal on the back but if you like it thats all that matters. I just ordered my Seadek pad. I ordered mine in cool grey and it is almost white. I like it a lot. Haven't put it on yet but it is awesome. Paid $250. I would stay away from the faux teak. I think it would look hoakey on the molded platform imho

Be sure to watch your rub rail for leaks. I had to replace mine. I don't have the same engine so I can't give you any advice on that. Except don't power turn too much. :D

Other than that your boat looks great.

Was the interior replaced recently. It looks new but they kept the same design.

Oh, and I don't have the ladder and no one has any trouble.

KTZ_MC
09-10-2013, 07:45 PM
Thanks Traxx! I would love to see a picture of your swim deck when you get the seadek on! I was pretty torn with what color to go with and I thought the faux teak could be interesting but it's good to hear other opinions. What's the best way to tell if the rub rails are leaking? They are in pretty good condition but definitely something i'll keep my eye on. The interior is original from what I can tell but I hate the purple and that is something I am definitely going to change...

Traxx822
09-10-2013, 08:10 PM
I'll throw in a couple idea's for you.

If your rub rail looks like it does in this video then you have a problem :D :D: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNDLPeEf1uw I took a video of mine leaking. I never noticed the leak until I started surfing the boat. The angle of attach against the water was all it took to make my rub rail leak profusely.

I installed a rub rail from Ranger boats since it was heavy duty and looked the same (better quality than the mc) double the rivets and 3M 5200 the heck out of it.

Here is a photo of my interior. I have the same blue and silver stripe on the hull but my interior was originally grey, silver, blue and of course white. I dropped the third color (grey) and kept the other two. You could easily do a blue white interior that would match the exterior. Agreed the purple is awful. In great shape but ... but it's purple.

Here is a photo of my new interior.

KTZ_MC
09-10-2013, 10:48 PM
That interior looks awesome! I would like to do something similar but that will have to wait at least until next year. Thanks for the video, when I get the ballast installed I will keep an eye out for leaks but yours was very obvious. I have a surfboard on order that I should get this week and I am going to see how the boat does with 400lbs in the ski locker and all the passengers in the back.

KTZ_MC
09-10-2013, 10:56 PM
I wanted to update the dash but I wasn't sure what the best way to do it was. I decided to try some carbon fiber wrap and use the original dash as a backing. It had some pretty bad cracks and was faded. I am happy with how it turned out except for getting the lettering back on the switch panel. I found some hobby letters that are used for model trains but I haven't had a chance to put them on so for now I just used a label maker to keep everything straight.

Before;

After;

When I ordered the transom decal I also picked up a new set of domed decals for the side, removed the 225 VRS EFI and replaced/ moved the registration from the side of the boat to the front(where it should have been...)

LaRue
09-10-2013, 11:00 PM
Really like the carbon fiber upgrade! Nice work

Traxx822
09-10-2013, 11:32 PM
I see you also changed the side decals. You dont like the ones on there now. In your original photo they are silver and blue. If you changed them all to the chrome you have in the back I think it would round it out better.

I love your dash. I have been pondering what to do with mine. I got the PP and now and know the gauges I'm getting this winter. But mine is cracked and I don't like the bland grey it is now.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

MI_Corey
09-10-2013, 11:45 PM
Doing my dash soon too. May just put counter top laminate over it and get labeled rocker switches.

Traxx822
09-10-2013, 11:51 PM
I know yours is a little bigger than mine but I run 600# sack in the locker on most days to save time plus have learned that passengers on the center of the pad is better than the edge. So move people around and see what works.

I have loaded it up with 600# in locker 600# in rear seat and 400# in bow and the wave is massive. Then just move your passengers to tweak it. So don't be afraid to slam it. just don't let off the throttle too fast or you will get swamped and always turn weighted side into the roller wave when you recover a rider. you can capsize so be aware.

What board did you get?

Are you plumbing your ballast in? That is my project for the winter. Next season no more pumps I have to fumble with. Can't wait

Your boat is a surf machine. It's wave will rival that of newer boats.

KTZ_MC
09-11-2013, 12:10 AM
I know yours is a little bigger than mine but I run 600# sack in the locker on most days to save time plus have learned that passengers on the center of the pad is better than the edge. So move people around and see what works.

I have loaded it up with 600# in locker 600# in rear seat and 400# in bow and the wave is massive. Then just move your passengers to tweak it. So don't be afraid to slam it. just don't let off the throttle too fast or you will get swamped and always turn weighted side into the roller wave when you recover a rider. you can capsize so be aware.

What board did you get?

Are you plumbing your ballast in? That is my project for the winter. Next season no more pumps I have to fumble with. Can't wait

Your boat is a surf machine. It's wave will rival that of newer boats.

That is exactly what I wanted to hear!!!!! I was very unsure of how the surf wake would turn out and it seemed impossible to find a clear answer on these older boats.

My plan was to create an integrated system that runs off of one pump to start with. I am going to do an impeller style pump (reversible) to fill and drain the ballast bags. I plan on adding one fitting to the hull for raw water and having a system of 3 valves under the rear seat to select which bag to drain/fill. I figure this will give me the flexibility of having multiple bags but I won't have to invest in (3) $250 pumps from the start. It will be as simple as selecting which bag to fill/drain by selecting the proper ball valve and if needed I can operate all bags at the same time but at a much slower pace.

The bag I have in the ski locker is a 540lb but I can't get completely full and close the door so I guessed at 400lbs. I was planning on 600lbs on each side in the rear and see where that gets me.

I found a Liquid Force Fish onsale at the-house.com and it seemed like a good all around board. This year was the first time I surfed and it was behind a Tige with no ballast. It was a blast but I am still just starting out and am no where near ready for tricks. I figure next year I can upgrade to something more agile and keep the Fish for everyone else to use.

KTZ_MC
09-11-2013, 12:14 AM
The carbon was really easy to work with and is very similar to counter-top laminate. The biggest PITA was getting all the connections for the switches off and on in the right spot so I could remove the switches to cover that piece. I like the idea of labeling the switches themselves but I want to keep the boat as stock looking as possible. When I get around to re-labeling with the proper lettering I will post a picture.

As for the side decals, they do have a chrome outline which ties the new transom decal.

Here is removing the original ones, which wasn't much fun;

And after;

Traxx822
09-11-2013, 01:41 AM
That does look better on the side in that photo.

Sounds like a good board to start with. That is strange your bag won't fit. Is there stuff in there or something. I'm having custom bags made for my ballast set up from wakemakers that are 900# each.

Also when I wakeboard I never fill them both up completely unless I have a full one in the bow. Usually I just fill about 300 each and call it. With that much weight you cannot maintain over 25mph without proposing real bad.

What size prop do you have on right now? May need to upgrade. I pit a surf prop on and it saves a ton on gas. worth the money.

Traxx822
09-11-2013, 01:44 AM
Also watch the bow. It is pointed slightly down and will take a roller wave over the bow easily. It will happen to you. Don't panic. Just drain. Haha. ..

Also watch your walk thru window when crossing waves from boats or in chop. The hull tends to flex and the window can drop below the starboard side frame and you will have to remove it and reinstall in order to fix it. Have to hit the roller pretty hard, but not as hard as you might think.

Smarten
09-11-2013, 02:36 PM
Also watch the bow. It is pointed slightly down and will take a roller wave over the bow easily. It will happen to you. Don't panic. Just drain. Haha. ..

I agree! Just make sure your wife is not sitting in the bow when it happens in early May and water temps are still around 50 degrees!:o Not that it's ever happened:rolleyes: You will learn a TON of new words and adjectives to describe someone;):D

BTW, my bilge pump works GREAT!:D

Nice looking boat. I am getting ready to do the upholstery on mine this year. As for the engine... I love mine now. Check the cooling threads on here for overheating issues the LT-1 has. Huge help.

The faux teak does look nice on these boats. There is a thread by Whalenjf - 1994 Maristar 225 VRS Project (Sorry, not sure how to post a link:( ) He put one on his. He has tons of pics.

KTZ_MC
09-11-2013, 11:49 PM

Also watch your walk thru window when crossing waves from boats or in chop. The hull tends to flex and the window can drop below the starboard side frame and you will have to remove it and reinstall in order to fix it. Have to hit the roller pretty hard, but not as hard as you might think.

I have noticed that the window does tend to flex a lot, good to know it gets worse with ballast because i have gotten it stuck a couple times... When I had the ski locker full and two people in the front the wake was super wide and decent sized. I didn't have any ballast in the rear and only one person in the back so it wasn't ideal weight distribution. The bow did ride pretty low and it would have been easy to soak the riders up front :D

I'll have to check on the prop, I was at my storage unit today but forgot to look at it. I am guessing it is stock but could be wrong.

Smarten-
Thanks for the heads up on the cooling, although I have already had issues. The first time I took it out after I bought it the lake had debris and it clogged the tranny filter, needless to say that was the only time because I installed a raw water filter. Also, the original owner installed a garden hose valve on the intake with a quick coupler so it can be run on dry land. This system works great except when you forget to close it and take the boat out...My bilge pump works great too! :D I promptly replaced the impeller after both those episodes.

I have been following Whalenjf's forum and he has posted some great stuff on there!! I got the idea for the faux teak from his photos but I still can't decide what to do. At least I have some time to think about it. I am definitely glad that I didn't have to go through an engine rebuild like he did and hopefully I won't see that day.

KTZ_MC
09-11-2013, 11:56 PM
Last week I decided that I hated the purple enough that I would go to any length to change it so I started researching. I found a lot of different people that used SEM Marine Vinyl paint with great success and the results I saw looked awesome. I decided that it was worth a shot so I ordered some from http://www.repaintsupply.com when I was ordering my compounds and pads for buffing/polishing.

Today I got off work early so I decided to do a test panel and four hours later the whole boat was done! :) I think it turned out great, and you can't tell that it has been painted but I don't know what longevity I am going to get out of it. It was getting dark when I finished so the pictures didn't turn out great but i'll get some better ones tomorrow.
I decided to keep the original green color for now but it goes alright with the dark blue. (better than purple) I wasn't impressed with the variety of colors that SEM offers but at least the purple is gone!!!! No more purple nurple....

Traxx822
09-12-2013, 12:35 AM
Wow. Amazing transform. Now it looks good man. Way to kill that purple. That was aweful. Lol. Looks great

jsturvey
09-12-2013, 12:42 AM
What was that color again? ;) jk. Actually it came out looking great! The color you picked works really well with the other colors in the boat. Nice boat all around, btw.

Whalenjf
09-13-2013, 10:20 AM
WOW!!! Great looking boat! I could be a little biased though haha. I was getting ready to post some pictures of my faux teak platform until I read the bottom of your last post.

I second what Traxx says about it being a surf machine! I've probably surfed more than wakeboarded this summer because I fell in love with the sport. For surfing I usually just fill the port side v-drive sack (750#) and have everybody sit on the port side. Check the wakesurf pictures thread for some examples.

For wakeboarding I run a 750# sack in each v-drive compartment, a 370# sack in the ski locker, and another 370# ski locker sack pushed all the way up in the bow walkway. That totals somewhere between 2000-2200#'s since the 750's are a little too long for the compartment and don't fill completely. Add 8 people in the boat and you get a pretty good wake (see the picture below and keep in mind I'm 6'2").

Keep up the good work! :cool:

Traxx822
09-13-2013, 10:33 AM
Whalen, I wanted to share a tip I found. You said for surfing you are filling up 750 plus all passengers in the corner.

May I suggest, put half your passengers on the same corner. The other half in the center of the pad. I have noticed this makes a cleaner wave. Makes it taller closer to boat and doesn't allow the platform to cut off the top. Try it out just move passengers around until you see the wave not get cut off.

Whalenjf
09-13-2013, 10:50 AM
Whalen, I wanted to share a tip I found. You said for surfing you are filling up 750 plus all passengers in the corner.

May I suggest, put half your passengers on the same corner. The other half in the center of the pad. I have noticed this makes a cleaner wave. Makes it taller closer to boat and doesn't allow the platform to cut off the top. Try it out just move passengers around until you see the wave not get cut off.

Traxx, thanks for that tip! I'll try it Sunday and see how it works out. I'm still tweaking and fine tuning the wake, it seems like a never ending process haha.

Traxx822
09-13-2013, 10:54 AM
Traxx, thanks for that tip! I'll try it Sunday and see how it works out. I'm still tweaking and fine tuning the wake, it seems like a never ending process haha.

Me too. I have really only nailed down the starboard side. Since I ride goofy obviously, funny how that works. Too bad we don;t have the same hull. Almost the same so principle should apply. I run a 540# sack and have no trouble filling it all the way. This winter I am plumbing in ballast and wakemakers were able to make me bags close to 900 pounds that will fit perfect.

Traxx822
09-13-2013, 10:56 AM
My boats a little smaller so I don't run my 540#' bags full in the rear for wakeboarding. I run about 350#'s in each and weight the bow. I found that running too much weight made the wake very rampy. Less weight with more bow weight seemed to make it more vert and I got better air. Not as big of a wake but more pop. So try that too.

Weighting the bow is critical because of the porpoising issues. However, PP stargazer fixed that as well.

I finally got a good ride behind my own boat going the same speed the whole ride. If either of you guys don't have PP yet. Make it your next upgrade. I wish I would have done it sooner.

Whalenjf
09-13-2013, 12:37 PM
My boats a little smaller so I don't run my 540#' bags full in the rear for wakeboarding. I run about 350#'s in each and weight the bow. I found that running too much weight made the wake very rampy. Less weight with more bow weight seemed to make it more vert and I got better air. Not as big of a wake but more pop. So try that too.

Weighting the bow is critical because of the porpoising issues. However, PP stargazer fixed that as well.

I finally got a good ride behind my own boat going the same speed the whole ride. If either of you guys don't have PP yet. Make it your next upgrade. I wish I would have done it sooner.

Some great ideas for this weekend right here. I'll half fill the rears and keep all the bow weight in the boat, more vert would be nice!

Perfect Pass Stargazer is a lifesaver when running ballast, even my gf can drive the boat perfectly with it. Highly recommend it for both wakeboarding and wakesurfing!

P.S. - KTZ_MC, sorry for the thread jack haha.

KTZ_MC
09-13-2013, 11:00 PM
Some great ideas for this weekend right here. I'll half fill the rears and keep all the bow weight in the boat, more vert would be nice!

Perfect Pass Stargazer is a lifesaver when running ballast, even my gf can drive the boat perfectly with it. Highly recommend it for both wakeboarding and wakesurfing!

This is great!!!:D I love the collaboration because it is hard to find information on older boats when talking surfing. I took it out yesterday and attempted to surf with 400#'s in the ski locker and two people on the boat. The wake looked great but wasn't close to big enough to surf, therefore moving an additional ballast purchase to the top of my list...

Traxx822
09-14-2013, 01:08 AM
This is great!!!:D I love the collaboration because it is hard to find information on older boats when talking surfing. I took it out yesterday and attempted to surf with 400#'s in the ski locker and two people on the boat. The wake looked great but wasn't close to big enough to surf, therefore moving an additional ballast purchase to the top of my list...

What speed are you doing for surf? I run about 10.4 average.

For surfing I'd say fill your locker bag as much as you can. The more weight in the corner and the taller the wave.

Also, I see a lot of people surf too close to the boat. Not sure if this is your problem but move back on the wave and see if that makes it more surfable. Photo for reference.

Traxx822
09-14-2013, 01:09 AM
Here is port

KTZ_MC
09-15-2013, 01:05 PM
I got some better photos of the interior over the weekend. I had the boat out twice and it is holding up great so far!

Traxx822
09-15-2013, 01:14 PM
I got some better photos of the interior over the weekend. I had the boat out twice and it is holding up great so far!

Looks good. Get some Totally Awesome cleaner from the dollar store too. In a clear bottle yellow liquid inside. It might help those dark areas.

Also, I removed that center pylon. Not like you need it if you don't plan to slalom. And you can slalom from the tower. This really isn't the best slalom boat. Probably the worst thing it does, and was its original intention. How about that. :)

KTZ_MC
09-15-2013, 01:17 PM
What speed are you doing for surf? I run about 10.4 average.

For surfing I'd say fill your locker bag as much as you can. The more weight in the corner and the taller the wave.

Also, I see a lot of people surf too close to the boat. Not sure if this is your problem but move back on the wave and see if that makes it more surfable. Photo for reference.

I am surfing around 10mph although it is somewhat of a guess because the speedo doesn't move much below 15mph. I was round 1900rpm with 2 passengers and 400lbs and the surf wake wasn't very surfable. I can't wait to add ballast! The wakeboarding wake is awesome though!

I have thought about getting a perfect pass setup, it seems like a great idea because I am constantly having to teach someone new how to pull a rider. How hard was the installation? I really like the throttle response/feel that it currently has but I definitely see the benefits of perfect pass...

Traxx822
09-15-2013, 01:36 PM
I am surfing around 10mph although it is somewhat of a guess because the speedo doesn't move much below 15mph. I was round 1900rpm with 2 passengers and 400lbs and the surf wake wasn't very surfable. I can't wait to add ballast! The wakeboarding wake is awesome though!

I have thought about getting a perfect pass setup, it seems like a great idea because I am constantly having to teach someone new how to pull a rider. How hard was the installation? I really like the throttle response/feel that it currently has but I definitely see the benefits of perfect pass...

Until you get that PP system going, I used to set my phone up on the steering hub of the wheel and used that. My analog mph gauge has never worked right. Still didn't help other people driving my boat though. PP solved that.

You will for sure need ballast to surf.

Whalenjf
09-16-2013, 10:08 AM

Perfect Pass won't affect your throttle response/feel. It's just like cruise control in a car, just turn it on and set the speed when you need it or turn it off and manually control the throttle just like before (digital speedo still reads when the system is off as well). It's a lifesaver because the only thing the driver has to do is keep the boat straight now!

Installation was a breeze since the Perfect Pass Stargazer Wake Edition is GPS based, no paddle wheel thru-hull. It took less than 2 hours for me and a friend to install it in the boat.

Until you get that PP system going, I used to set my phone up on the steering hub of the wheel and used that. My analog mph gauge has never worked right. Still didn't help other people driving my boat though. PP solved that.

You will for sure need ballast to surf.

That speedo in the boat will never read right, mine never did. I did the same thing Traxx did and downloaded a GPS speedometer app and used that to find the correct speed and then I just referenced the approximate RPM that I needed to hold the engine at to maintain that speed. I want to say that with my old prop (4x14x19) I was turning somewhere between 2800-3200RPM (depending on additional people, etc) on the analog tach when surfing. Perfect Pass is a lifesaver though!

KTZ_MC
09-17-2013, 01:08 AM
Looks good. Get some Totally Awesome cleaner from the dollar store too. In a clear bottle yellow liquid inside. It might help those dark areas.

Also, I removed that center pylon. Not like you need it if you don't plan to slalom. And you can slalom from the tower. This really isn't the best slalom boat. Probably the worst thing it does, and was its original intention. How about that. :)

Thanks for the suggestion, I will pickup some of that cleaner and give it a shot! What did you use to cover the hole where the ski pylon was? I don't see anyone consistently skiing from the boat, and all I use it for is holding wet life jackets.

Perfect Pass won't affect your throttle response/feel. It's just like cruise control in a car, just turn it on and set the speed when you need it or turn it off and manually control the throttle just like before (digital speedo still reads when the system is off as well). It's a lifesaver because the only thing the driver has to do is keep the boat straight now!

Installation was a breeze since the Perfect Pass Stargazer Wake Edition is GPS based, no paddle wheel thru-hull. It took less than 2 hours for me and a friend to install it in the boat.

That speedo in the boat will never read right, mine never did. I did the same thing Traxx did and downloaded a GPS speedometer app and used that to find the correct speed and then I just referenced the approximate RPM that I needed to hold the engine at to maintain that speed. I want to say that with my old prop (4x14x19) I was turning somewhere between 2800-3200RPM (depending on additional people, etc) on the analog tach when surfing. Perfect Pass is a lifesaver though!

Good call on the cell phone GPS speedo, completely forgot about that! I believe that I have a 4x14x18 prop on it now and I am pretty happy with the performance but things could change when ballast is added. Where did you get your perfect pass? Thanks for the explanation on how it works, that cleared up a lot. :) I had a buddy on the boat with a GPS speedo app, we tested the accuracy and I found that my speedo can be somewhat accurate but only during cruise and sometimes it goes on the fritz...

Traxx822
09-17-2013, 09:24 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, I will pickup some of that cleaner and give it a shot! What did you use to cover the hole where the ski pylon was? I don't see anyone consistently skiing from the boat, and all I use it for is holding wet life jackets.

Good call on the cell phone GPS speedo, completely forgot about that! I believe that I have a 4x14x18 prop on it now and I am pretty happy with the performance but things could change when ballast is added. Where did you get your perfect pass? Thanks for the explanation on how it works, that cleared up a lot. :) I had a buddy on the boat with a GPS speedo app, we tested the accuracy and I found that my speedo can be somewhat accurate but only during cruise and sometimes it goes on the fritz...

I found a cover under the observer seat that screwed in place of that one. If bot you can sell the pylon for a pretty penny and by some fiberglass and carpet. You seem handy enough to handle that.

For my PPSG system I went direct to perfect pass. It's the cheapest and safest route.

I'll have to dig up what prop I have on. Can't remember the size. I love it. Dropped my surf rpms from 2700-2900 down to 2200-2400 and saves about a gallon an hour.

Fir surfing I'm burning 4.9 gallons an hour. On plane just cruising the river I'm running 3.6 gallons per hour. I also have a different engine and smaller boat.

Traxx822
09-17-2013, 09:26 PM
Oh, try searching an app called AA GPS HUD on Android. It does speed to the tenth of a mile and you can throw on your dash and it will project as heads up display. Kinda hard to see sometimes though so I always just let it rest in the steering hub of the wheel. On IPhone I can't help with an app.