PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl Cleaning-Magic Eraser

DougH
09-09-2013, 05:36 PM
I was getting depressed at how dingy my vinyl was getting after 300+ hours of use, despite my best efforts to keep it clean. The weekend before last I went at it with 303 vinyl cleaner and some elbow grease, and made a slight improvement, but not anywhere close to "like new."

This last weekend I tried Mr. Clean Magic Erasers, after seeing them in a tip on another forum. The name is accurate, as the result was nothing less than magic. So magic I stopped after cleaning one cushion and took a picture with the uncleaned cushion next to it. These cushions were the same color when I started cleaning. Pretty amazing. Keep in mind, the "before" cushion is after a pretty thorough cleaning with 303 the weekend before.

The only downside is that it takes a lot of these. I've gone through several boxes, and I'm not quite done with the interior of my X-45.

Smarten
09-09-2013, 06:00 PM
The extra strength ones seem to last a bit longer. We use them on everything! They are great for getting rid of brake dust on rims, road crud from tires, bugs off anywhere on the boat, chrome, vinyl, plastic and fiberglass... I have used them to get rid of scuff marks on the hull too. We keep a few in a plastic baggie on the boat for those occasional oops on the boat. They even clean well with lake water!:)

chriscraftmatt1976
09-09-2013, 07:02 PM
Get a spray bottle of water and spray and wipe after. They work great on the fabric, but they can be extremely caustic on the stitching thread. If you're ocd.

CruisinGA
09-09-2013, 07:12 PM
Magic eraser works great but it is a little abrasive. Use with care.

For general cleaning I would use LA's Totally Awesome which you can find in the dollar store and the. Treat with 303 afterwards. 303 isn't much of a cleaner but a great protectant.

CantRepeat
09-09-2013, 08:42 PM
Magic eraser works great but it is a little abrasive. Use with care.

For general cleaning I would use LA's Totally Awesome which you can find in the dollar store and the. Treat with 303 afterwards. 303 isn't much of a cleaner but a great protectant.

I think it has some bleach in it too.

Barefooter92
09-09-2013, 11:19 PM
Be careful it takes off too much of the hide for me. I have to use them as a lost resort and very sparingly at that. When you get done with the Magic Eraser be sure and coat it with some protectant of choice.

fstaslp
09-09-2013, 11:39 PM
No bleach in totally awesome to my knowledge.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Cloaked
09-26-2013, 10:00 PM
bump ^