PDA

View Full Version : New Owner-1996 ProStar 190-water leaks

OldKnees
09-09-2013, 02:55 PM
Hey,

We've recently purchased a 1996 ProStar 190 (last year) w/380 hours (it is immaculate!) and I've got some questions:

When we leave it in the water over night (which is VERY rarely), the bilge pump (on Auto) runs about every 3 hours. Is this much water coming in typical? If not, what are some areas I can check to see where it's coming from?

The boat doesn't have a heater (for humans). We are thinking of installing one. Any suggestions on this? Where can I get parts? Is it a DIY project (I've got some wrenching skills".

The boat has a single 12v battery. We have ocean going fishing boats and you always have a second battery. Is that something folks usually install? If so, there isn't a lot of room where the current battery is (port side next to fuel tank). Ideas? Not needed? Get a paddle?

The twin speedos work most of the time but occasionally one or both will either not work or show very different speeds (10-20% of the time). Easy fix?

We took the boat to McCall Idaho this summer for a week at a friend's cabin (very nice). Altitude is 5000 feet. Boat obviously struggled a bit. Should the EFI compensate for this?

Thanks
Brian

CC2MC
09-09-2013, 04:52 PM
Congrats on the boat. regarding the water you are taking on, I would say that is more than normal. It sounds like you either have a leak somewhere in a thru hull or the shaft seal needs to be repacked. The only time my PS really needs the bilge pump turned on is when my buddy drives and he takes a big wave over the bow, (has happened three times when he drives), or when it rains a good bit. Other than that, there is very little water in the bilge, certainly not enough for the pump to come on.

With the battery, there is a dual battery set up that can be done, but most of the people here that have two or more batteries use one for a starter and the other for components like a stereo. Do a search on the site for dual battery switch and you should find some info. You could move two batteries under the port side passenger seat if you need two.

With the speedos, there are pitot tubes located on the transom. They are two black plastic pieces sticking down just below the hull with a small tube attached to it. The tube goes to the speedo and the water pressure is how the speedo gets the speed. Occasionally the tube will get clogged with something very small and inhibit any water from getting in the hole and the speedo will not read anything. You can simply clear that obstruction with a paper clip or something small enough to get in that hole. If they are inconsistent, or slow then the tubes themselves may have a little buildup inside them and need to be blown out.

Can't really help you out with the other things as I typically ride around 500 feet above sea level, so altitude is never a problem and I really only ride when it is warm so no real need for a heater. I'm sure some of the other guys can help you out though.

ricford
09-09-2013, 05:22 PM
I have a 96 ps190 and the battery is at the front, under the passenger seat. I only have one, and have only killed it once by running the stereo too long. Now if I'm going to be out all day I carry a battery booster with me.
That is way too much water to be taking on. Mine sits in the water all summer and I never have to turn on the pump, my bilge is completely dry, but the packing was replaced with dripless.
The leak is probably your packing. You may be able to tighten the packing nut enough to stop it. It should leak slightly when under way and not at all when stopped. Lift the floor behind the motor box and look for leaks. Could also be from the mufflers, or like CC2Mc said one of your through hull fittings.
The speedos are adjustable. Sometimes weeds can block the pitot tubes causing one to go out. (That's why there are two) Take a GPS with you and use the adjustment knob in the center of the speedo to adjust it.

atihanyi
09-10-2013, 11:14 PM
nobody answered his heater question and that's something I am also curious about its starting to get cold up here in Wisconsin in the mornings

d2jp
09-11-2013, 12:16 AM
nobody answered his heater question and that's something I am also curious about its starting to get cold up here in Wisconsin in the mornings
Search = 'heater' brings up a number of threads...here is one:
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=56745&highlight=heater