PDA

View Full Version : Rub rail peeling away, what to do?

MI_Corey
09-09-2013, 12:06 PM
Well, I finally figured out where I'm taking on water yesterday. I was always confused because I only took on water while wakesurfing. I realized yesterday when it started coming in the side pocket that the rub rail is separating from the boat on the back where it dips down. I would take a picture but there's really not much to see. Just a gap between the rail and the fiberglass. What do I need to do to fix this? Is it a major issue or can I just drill the rivets out and use larger ones? I thought I had ran across a thread on here before of another Maristar or Tristar that had the same issue but I couldn't find it. Any helpful advice is appreciated.

thatsmrmastercraft
09-09-2013, 12:27 PM
I have had to replace a couple rivets on mine and I simply drilled the rivet out with as small a drill as possible and replaced with the same size rivet.

MI_Corey
09-09-2013, 12:44 PM
Hopefully that's all it will take.

thatsmrmastercraft
09-09-2013, 12:50 PM
You should send a message to a Moderator (Sodar) to get you off the guest status.

tph
09-09-2013, 01:03 PM
Well, I finally figured out where I'm taking on water yesterday. I was always confused because I only took on water while wakesurfing. I realized yesterday when it started coming in the side pocket that the rub rail is separating from the boat on the back where it dips down. I would take a picture but there's really not much to see. Just a gap between the rail and the fiberglass. What do I need to do to fix this? Is it a major issue or can I just drill the rivets out and use larger ones? I thought I had ran across a thread on here before of another Maristar or Tristar that had the same issue but I couldn't find it. Any helpful advice is appreciated.

That gap is filled with silicone sealant on my boat.

CC2MC
09-09-2013, 01:18 PM
I think you will more than likely have to remove the rivets as MrMasterCraft said, then apply silicone and new rivets. If you put silicone in there without removing the rivets, it may not fill the holes where the water is coming in. I had this issue on a couple of boats in the past and tried just silicone, but it didn't help. I sold the boats before I got around to fixing, just bc it really wasn't enough water to be concerned with for me.

thatsmrmastercraft
09-09-2013, 01:20 PM
Yup, don't forget some silicone.

MI_Corey
09-09-2013, 01:23 PM
ok thanks! ... and I did send a pm to a moderator at some point but I don't remember who. I will look up sodar

Traxx822
09-09-2013, 01:38 PM
What kind of MC do you have MI Corey?

MI_Corey
09-09-2013, 01:59 PM
93 Maristar DD. It's the one where the rub rail dips down at the back of the boat because the swim platform is all one piece.

dlboltond
09-14-2013, 03:26 PM
My rub rail was ripped off once and I filled the holes with some putty epoxy, redrilled, and reriveted. Worked very well.

Traxx822
09-14-2013, 04:10 PM
I had same issue. Replaced entire rub rail with one from ranger boats. Doubled the rivets and 3m 5200 everywhere. Mine had a very bad leak.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2