PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know about Audi's?

Double D
09-06-2013, 02:06 PM
Ok, long story short, my son wants this Audi A4, which happens to be 6 hours away from me. I know nothing about Audi's and have no urge to sign up to an Audi Forum at this time, so I thought I would throw it out here for anyone that has owned, currently owns, or has knowledge about an A4 or any Audi for that matter.

So, what can anyone tell me about this car?

http://www.carsforsale.com/find_a_vehicle/vehicle_details.aspx?vid=204910122

Its located North of Chicago at:

Advance Motors
2053 Johns Drive
Glenview, IL 60025

Thanks in advance!

clrussell
09-06-2013, 02:20 PM
I don't know much about em other than the few we have had though the shop are kinda like working on a BMW, in the 5 years I've been a mechanic I've maybe seen 3-4 through our shop and we tend to be the higher end shop around. So I don't know if there are not many around these parts or if they don't have many problems. But I can tell you I know a guy who deals with cars out of the Chicago area and 95% of them have horrible rust. Not bashing Chicago just saying there is alot of rusty stuff up there

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
09-06-2013, 02:24 PM
Ok, long story short, my son wants this Audi A4, which happens to be 6 hours away from me. I know nothing about Audi's and have no urge to sign up to an Audi Forum at this time, so I thought I would throw it out here for anyone that has owned, currently owns, or has knowledge about an A4 or any Audi for that matter.

Advance Motors
2053 Johns Drive
Glenview, IL 60025

Thanks in advance!

It has a 2.0L turbo, becareful of sludge those 4 cylinders has issues if oil not changed on time and with synthetic oil only also some of the earlier 2.0L had turbo release valve issues, don't know if or when it was corrected, I left Audi in 2001 but I can't imagine they changed much. You know the same car company that has made the same 911 for 50 years. :rolleyes: I would steer clear unless you have alot of extra cash to blow on stupid stuff breaking. Of course with any used car it might be a POS or it might be a great car.

ttu
09-06-2013, 02:24 PM

Advance Motors
2053 Johns Drive
Glenview, IL 60025

Thanks in advance!

nice looking A4. I can't give you any info on how reliable thy are but my son wants one too.

you see a ton of them in Colorado.

jk13
09-06-2013, 02:26 PM
A lot of shady dealers in Chicago as well.

I have no problems with VW/Audis. It will need timing belt and water pump at 100k, but most cars do. Nice to find a stock one rather than one that's been modified. Factory automatic does nothing for me but as long as it shifts well and the turbo spools and holds boost it should be fine.

Solid cars overall.

hondaprlud
09-06-2013, 02:34 PM
I always heard and my experience has been that they(Audis) were problematic. Nothing catastrophic just annoyances that eat $$ regularly. I also heard that they are fun to drive, I just tuned them out due to the fact that I won't put up with something that isn't reliable.

http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?t=2773962

After reading this thread it seems that the issues were mainly fixed after 2004. I still doubt I would do it. Good Luck!

jmhjgh
09-06-2013, 02:35 PM
They make very good cars, but there will be some maintenance. I have owned several and currently have two. You will need a Vag-Com cable from Ross-Tech for diagnostic work (it will pay for itself the first time you use it), and look at the Quattroworld and Audiworld forums for a high quality group of people (much like this forum) that will help with technical problems.

Ski-me
09-06-2013, 02:36 PM
Too fast for a son, or a 17 yr old daughter (in my case). get a piece of junk for them that is really slow!! :friday:

Although not a piece of junk, a 92-97 Toyota Landcruiser is WAY slow. No races are going to be won in that thing!!

Ski-me
09-06-2013, 02:40 PM
I'm no use on Audi's either.

Our last one..... 1985 Audi 5000 Turbo.

You know, the ones with the "unexplained acceleration problem" and electrical nightmares!?! That's my last memory of them.

ttu
09-06-2013, 02:42 PM
I'm no use on Audi's either.

Our last one..... 1985 Audi 5000 Turbo.

You know, the ones with the "unexplained acceleration problem" and electrical nightmares!?! That's my last memory of them.

I had the same year! I nicknamed it "time bomb"! when one part broke the others all followed.

I will say that was a great handling car though!

pmikler
09-06-2013, 02:46 PM
It has a 2.0L turbo, becareful of sludge those 4 cylinders has issues if oil not changed on time and with synthetic oil only also some of the earlier 2.0L had turbo release valve issues, don't know if or when it was corrected, I left Audi in 2001 but I can't imagine they changed much. You know the same car company that has made the same 911 for 50 years. :rolleyes: I would steer clear unless you have alot of extra cash to blow on stupid stuff breaking. Of course with any used car it might be a POS or it might be a great car.

+1. This is going back some years but I used to work on them as well and have the same thoughts. I'll add that there was always something little like sensor going out etc...

Here is a screen grab from consumer reports... Just pulled it. A whole lot of black for 2006.

Ski-me
09-06-2013, 03:08 PM
I had the same year! I nicknamed it "time bomb"! when one part broke the others all followed.

I will say that was a great handling car though!

True that!!

We lived in wide open Wyoming so a lot of open road. When it ran, it was a blast to drive!

Just did a quick search. That came up as a "Top 10" in Car and Driver in 1985! :headbang:

scott023
09-06-2013, 03:15 PM
I think they're beautiful cars. I have heard, numerous times, that they are very expensive to own when they're off warranty.

neil.anderson63
09-06-2013, 03:34 PM
My son had an 2001 A4 1.8t - It is a true B.O.A.T. - break out another thousand. I finally traded it away after dumping too much cash in it. Nice driving car, good on gas, comfortable, felt safe, great looking. HOWEVER - Rear main oil leaks, computer problems, electrical problems with headlamp wipers - I finally disconnected them, valve cover leaks, cam seal leaks, When the stereo blows the fuse you get to pull the whole Effing dash out to change the fuse. Don't even think about pulling the trigger unless you are really shooting at it. It was always something breaking - If you like working on a car more than driving it.... BUY it!

SP Maristar
09-06-2013, 04:05 PM
Starting to sound like my first car - 1972 Fiat 128. I learned a LOT about cars while owning my Fiat!

Table Rocker
09-06-2013, 04:19 PM
A friend of mine bought a used '10 A4 from an Audi dealership. He had so many problems from the start that he was constantly dealing with the dealership and Audi America regarding their warranty on the car. Eventually the dealership gave him full credit on a new one, which he decided to take them up on since he had basically complained himself into a corner.

The only problem he has had with the new one has been a driveline vibration at certain speed (not tire/wheel balance). They have admitted the problem to him and there engineers are supposedly working it out.

Dylan
09-06-2013, 04:23 PM
I've had the displeasure of working on a few Audis in my limited time, but they are still solid cars. I know some mechanics flat out refuse to work on them :)

And I am all for the beater as a first car.... Make them appreciate the car, and any vehicle in the future.

Good luck!

zsqure
09-09-2013, 01:20 PM
Dave, unless he is a DIY'er look at something else. I had an '06 A4 2.0T Quattro. SWEET very ZIPPY car. Always running 75-85 across I-76. It's an Adult's GTI.:D Quattro is unbelievable in the snow. I had it for 50k mi before we traded it on the wife's Q5 (69k on the clock). Now, there are issues with that generation engine. The fuel pump is ran off a cam lobe that may wear out, the cam follower that actuates the fuel pump may wear a hole in it. The cam follower is $50 or so, but the cam itself is pretty expensive. A complete brake job all the way around, pads and oem rotors will set you back north of $600. Rotors are usually too thin to turn by the time brakes are needed. Don't forget the timing belt and water pump change at 100-110K. I only had a clogged PCV valve while I owned it. Always ran Motul and bought OEM filters, did every oil change, the 40k mi service, bled my own brakes, had every reciept. Ran some type of Motul engine oil flush every-other oil change. At this point in my life it was getting small for my needs but it put a smile on my face everyday I drove it. The 328ix that replaced it was everything A4 wasn't, the bimmer just could not hold a candle to the audi's sweet motor, that's why I'm back in the turbo beetle with the 2.0T.:D Oh and consumer reports is fine for a toaster or microwave, don't believe them for a minute when looking for a car. They are all different, everyone has problems at some point. It's very difficult to buy a car so far away, good luck and find one local, preferrrably a CPO model with some warranty.

zsqure
09-09-2013, 01:30 PM
And it's missing the cover over the engine, and the cover over the battery.

pmikler
09-09-2013, 01:40 PM
Dave, unless he is a DIY'er look at something else. I had an '06 A4 2.0T Quattro. SWEET very ZIPPY car. Always running 75-85 across I-76. It's an Adult's GTI.:D Quattro is unbelievable in the snow. I had it for 50k mi before we traded it on the wife's Q5 (69k on the clock). Now, there are issues with that generation engine. The fuel pump is ran off a cam lobe that may wear out, the cam follower that actuates the fuel pump may wear a hole in it. The cam follower is $50 or so, but the cam itself is pretty expensive. A complete brake job all the way around, pads and oem rotors will set you back north of $600. Rotors are usually too thin to turn by the time brakes are needed. Don't forget the timing belt and water pump change at 100-110K. I only had a clogged PCV valve while I owned it. Always ran Motul and bought OEM filters, did every oil change, the 40k mi service, bled my own brakes, had every reciept. Ran some type of Motul engine oil flush every-other oil change. At this point in my life it was getting small for my needs but it put a smile on my face everyday I drove it. The 328ix that replaced it was everything A4 wasn't, the bimmer just could not hold a candle to the audi's sweet motor, that's why I'm back in the turbo beetle with the 2.0T.:D Oh and consumer reports is fine for a toaster or microwave, don't believe them for a minute when looking for a car. They are all different, everyone has problems at some point. It's very difficult to buy a car so far away, good luck and find one local, preferrrably a CPO model with some warranty.

I respectfully disagree. Sure every car is going to have problems but they way they do their ratings in my opinion makes a data point that carries considerable weight.

From there web page explaining how they get their ratings.

Where is the data from?

Consumer Reports obtains its reliability data from an Annual Questionnaire that is sent to subscribers to ConsumerReports.org and Consumer Reports magazine. In all, the survey was sent to over 7 million subscribers in 2012, and we received responses on 1.2 million vehicles.

How many samples do you have of each model?

While we do not publish information on individual sample sizes for specific models, we require a minimum of around 100 cars to publish reliability information for a model in a given model year. Our sample sizes tend to track quite closely with market sales. Individual sample sizes vary from year to year and range from a hundred to several thousand for the more popular models. A typical model has about 200 to 400 samples for each model year and engine variant.

Since we've opened the survey to subscribers of ConsumerReports.org, we have seen a substantial increase in survey responses in the past few years, so individual sample sizes have generally been on the rise, as well. This has given us sufficient sample sizes on a number of low-volume models.

east tx skier
09-09-2013, 02:53 PM
If you get it, go in understanding that there is a difference between the concepts of German quality and German reliability. VWs and Audis are nice cars. They drive great. But things break. I have an extended service plan on my VW CC, and that's the first time I have ever done that (Honda owner up until now).

The 2.0 TSI/TFSI is a nice little engine. Carbon build up is always something to worry with on direct injection without an extra manifold injector to keep the intake valves clean. Water pumps have been touch and go recently. My TSI has a timing chain. So no belt to change, but the oil pressure actuated tensioner has me a bit worried (hence the extended warranty). Keep a couple of coilpacks in the trunk. They tend to go out with little warning. I had a stuck open injector grenade the head group.

VW is pretty good about warranty coverage.

Don't forget to pony up for 93 octane.

93Prostar190
09-09-2013, 03:42 PM
DoubleD - you have an Audi resource right here in Ohio ... I just saw this thread .... more later ... but most of what people have said is right on ....
- Audi is a great car .... I had a 2002 A4 Quattro with the 2.0 .... sludging a small concern ....ignition coils were part of many recalls ...

Missing engine cover makes me feel like a previous service was not done a by an Audi knowledgable mechanic ....

Car will need to have a fluids changed, etc .... inspect drivetrain ... many bushings and suspension components on that B6/B7 model ...... I have front brakes for that car in my garage ...

You can probably find a better one ..... with a bit more patience.

BTW - first online forum I ever belonged to had to do with Audi's !!!

east tx skier
09-09-2013, 05:50 PM
Lots of people ditch the engine cowling in their VW/Audis. I don't understand it, but they do. They should at least reinstall for the sale. :o

Also, I should have read more closely. 2006 is going to be the FSI platform. Belt driven. Disregard my timing chain comment above. Add PCV system to your list of checks.

Double D
09-09-2013, 06:03 PM
Guys, thanks for all the feedback. I really appreciate it!! Based on your information I told him "NO WAY" and he needs to stay away from the European stuff until he moves out and can do it on his own. Then he shows me a Mercedes... DUDE!!??

jk13
09-09-2013, 06:55 PM
Hahahaha. My wife told me I couldn't buy our son a 98 VW Golf GL four door for $1000. "He needs to earn it" she says. "And I'm not too sure about a German car. Maybe something Japanese if we do buy him one."

A week later she tells me she saw a nice looking blue Mercedes on the way to his school. I saw it the next day and it's a '70s sedan with the over/under quad round headlights. And it looks showroom new. I was like uhhhh........

The joys of being married to someone who's bipolar..........

CruisinGA
09-09-2013, 10:20 PM
Unless the kid is in to working on it, IMO he needs a Japanese car or small truck.
Give him a 4runner or pickup with the 22RE, he could pull the oil drain plug, throw it away and it will still last him through high school.

88 PS190
09-10-2013, 08:57 PM
Lady has an A3 wagon - neat car.

I don't like automatics, I don't own automatics. I am solid on the recommendations not to own them.

My history - older brother had a 100CS - I hated that car with a passion.

Had a few early 2000's audi sedans some AWD some FWD. Prefer Audi in AWD not front.

Audi's always have seemed like decent cars - the problems I always encountered were related to electricals. Timing belts are the same as any car - you need to do them on schedule.

My brothers had the fan go out - it was a horrible encounter. The LCD went out.

The AWD got T-boned but was a decent car. The FWD torque steered like crazy and had a dead trans mount so the shifter would move around when you gave it throttle.

Myself - I would easily convince myself into an A3 TDI trans if said beast became available at the right price.

Unfortunately for me - I value cars very low.

The one posted however I feel to be valued fairly for retail assuming you pay a mechanic for a check out.

VIN WAUDF78E36A152864

Auction $10,050 $8,175 $6,300
Est. Retail $15,050 $12,900 $10,700

ttu
09-10-2013, 09:29 PM
Unless the kid is in to working on it, IMO he needs a Japanese car or small truck.
Give him a 4runner or pickup with the 22RE, he could pull the oil drain plug, throw it away and it will still last him through high school.

4runner 4wd is a great idea. bought my son one when he was 15 1/2 and he still has it. his is a 2000 SR2 sport. he turns 20 in a few weeks and no big issues except when someone stole his catalytic converter. here is my post when we got it for him. bought it with 113K and now has 145K. great college vehicle.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=30370