PDA

View Full Version : I cause my own troubles

madcityskier
09-05-2013, 09:39 AM
So we're skiing Sunday, and as we're finishing up, I check the gauges (habit) and notice the temp gauge rising. Turn it of and turn the key to the ON position to watch the gauge. Runs up to approx 200, and stops. Swim it to the nearest ramp (thanks to the 6 fishing boats who watched me tow the boat about 1/4 mile into the wind without offering a quick tow, much appreciated fellows), and get my wife to drive over and take one of us back to get the trailer.

Get home and check the impeller, it looks fine, but dry. Put the spare in since it's been run dry, move to the next thing. Flush out the cooling lines and get a fair bit of weeds and a couple feathers out. Feeling better about it. Go out later to take a ride, decide to give it a minute at the dock just to be sure. Temp starts heading up, and shut it down. Back to the garage. Neighbor )Nordicron) who is supposed to be cooking dinner for the family throws some fish-sticks in the oven, sets a timer for his wife, and comes over to commence beer drinking/engine debating. Double check that all hoses are clear, no problem. Try the bucket method, get exhaust out of the water intake hose??? At this point my wife is walking through the garage, and we are explaining to her that the only logical course of action is to throw in a 5.0 Chevy with f/i and electronic ignition rated at 300hp. Figure shaving a few pounds and add 60 ponies should be fun. She doesn't seem impressed. Quick call to check in with Dad, no new ideas. Quick call to my brother (Chriscraftmatt1976) who answers the phone in the recording studio and spends a few minutes throwing ideas at me. Check the thermostat and it's corroded, but should be ok, damaged the gasket getting it of though. Took off the upper water pump hose and hook the garden hose to that, flush it to verify that water flows through the engine/exhaust, it does. Fire it up and seems ok. Seeing a couple small leaks in the water lines as we take them on and off, can't recall if we've ever replaced them, make a mental note about that. Maybe I got the impeller in backwards? Check for a rookie mistake, no it's fine, except...
The keyed shaft that the impeller spins on has no key. Damn! Look around and can't find it. It'll show up in the bilge someday is our current prediction. skidim.com, Sherwood 4432 key not available. Source one through marinepartsource.com, no storefront, but right in Madison, so should be a very short shipping process. $5 part, $10 shipping. Make note in the comment section of the order that $10 to ship this local is B.S. Get a call offering to credit shipping and throw it in an envelope. Can't easily find what else I want on their website, and too late to call. Back to skidim.com for thermostat and gasket, new impeller as long as I'm at it, didn't think to verify, but pretty sure hose is 1"id, didn't get lengths, also list hoses but not weather id or od measurements. Make a note that if anyone is familliar with the cooling hoses on this engine, give me a call and I will add to the order. Got a call from Vince, yes 1" hose, id is the measurement on their site, also knows the legths of each section of hose off the top of his head. Needless to say I am very impressed. Order went out same day.

Waiting for parts tomorrow, and hope to get out this weekend, though my daughter has like a dozen activities this weekend, so we'll see how that goes. In the meantime, thanks Ron, Dad and Matt. Wrenching is always more fun with friends.

JimN
09-05-2013, 09:47 AM
FYI= Ace hardware has key stock, but not necessarily brass keys. If you want more and happen to be in New Berlin, go to Speedy Metals- they'll sell a foot of 1/4" x 1/4" and it's cheap- I bought a foot of 1/4" x 1/2" and it was less than $7 with tax.

If the temperature rises to 200 degrees and stops when the engine is off, it's not a problem, it's heat soak.

johnnye23
09-05-2013, 10:07 AM
Most Napa stores have a good selection of keys too.

Nordicron
09-05-2013, 10:44 AM
No problem Jeff! Always glad to stop over to your garage! Fridge always stocked with tasty beverages! And well it's even more fun ribbing you MC guys in person than it is on the net! :)

mikeg205
09-05-2013, 11:01 AM
Feathers? We need the story on that... ;)

thatsmrmastercraft
09-05-2013, 11:42 AM

I think the rule is feathers are OK, but the whole chicken is................oh, never mind. ;)

madcityskier
09-05-2013, 11:50 AM
I assume that they were from ducks in the weed bed we found.
And I was also told that the difference between creative and kinky is using feathers vs using the whole chicken.

Jim, yeah I was relieved to see the temp stay relatively low.

Worth noting that one of the guys in the boat suggested just driving back at high speed, as this will force water into the intake when the pump isn't drawing water. And this is why we don't generally loan out our boats...
Here's your sign.

chriscraftmatt1976
09-05-2013, 11:55 AM
Man, take it easy on my boat, will ya!!!!!!!

:):):)

mikeg205
09-05-2013, 12:20 PM
I assume that they were from ducks in the weed bed we found.
And I was also told that the difference between creative and kinky is using feathers vs using the whole chicken.

Jim, yeah I was relieved to see the temp stay relatively low.

Worth noting that one of the guys in the boat suggested just driving back at high speed, as this will force water into the intake when the pump isn't drawing water. And this is why we don't generally loan out our boats...
Here's your sign.

poor ducks... how many points did you accumulate there..??. ;)

coz
09-05-2013, 01:57 PM

I'm going out on a limb with this one......probably from a duck. We have those where we boat too :D

madcityskier
09-05-2013, 02:39 PM
Not hitting ducks, presumably molting in the weeds they're swimming in, which we then sucked up.

SkiDaddy
09-05-2013, 02:46 PM
To be honest, I thought the story was going to end with the fish sticks catching fire and burning a house down...........

chriscraftmatt1976
09-05-2013, 03:44 PM
I think an engine upgrade would be awesome tho.

:D:D:D

thatsmrmastercraft
09-05-2013, 04:10 PM
I think an engine upgrade would be awesome tho.

:D:D:D

For sure, but may as well go with a built 350. http://www.7thgenhonda.com/forum/images/smilies/dunno.gif

madcityskier
09-09-2013, 11:20 PM
So now, parts arrived, got the chance to install them Saturday night. While putting on the water pump noticed that the alternator belt was loose. Went to loosen the bolt so I could tighten the belt, aluminum housing for the alternator broke in the middle of the threaded hole. Back to ski dim.com and Vince. Gotra learn to stop "fixing" things or I might never get back on the water.

CC2MC
09-09-2013, 11:58 PM
Man, that stinks but at least you found it before it broke while the engine was running.

madcityskier
09-10-2013, 12:34 AM
My guess is that it would've been just a loose belt. A little patience and some pub blaster would've probably saved a couple c notes. If I'm not careful the former owner is going to reclaim this boat.

chriscraftmatt1976
09-10-2013, 08:30 AM
[QUOTE=madcityskier;976708 If I'm not careful the former owner is going to reclaim this boat.[/QUOTE]

mikeg205
09-10-2013, 09:01 AM
My guess is that it would've been just a loose belt. A little patience and some pub blaster would've probably saved a couple c notes. If I'm not careful the former owner is going to reclaim this boat.

Sometimes the MCOCD gets the best of us.. :)